Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 843267 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #3150 on: July 14, 2015, 07:31:41 AM »
And that's probably not an experiment gone wrong, Julian's just trying to make roast chicken again.
Fortunately you'll wont starve, you've Helga's cookies.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3151 on: July 14, 2015, 08:06:43 AM »
I think this would happen regularly enough to render your ssssona an emotional wreck.
Definitely xD I have a feeling that the team in itself is going to be more harmful to her than any possible trolls or giants.

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #3152 on: July 14, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »
it is so ok to write it
Write the story! :D

WRITE WRITE WRITE WRITE

*insert gif of me punching my writing block in the face*

also, curry and viola, it would be pretty great if you could pm me with any extra personality details!

sorry about taking so long to respond by the way, i had to go leave as soon as i saw curry, viola, and haiz respond

but, while i was gone, i finished the first draft,(yeah,i punched that writers block super dang hard) even though it'll have to go though some major rewrites because i did it without the infodump.

and it features the hellcats!

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3153 on: July 14, 2015, 01:41:32 PM »
Fantastic! And that's probably not an experiment gone wrong, Julian's just trying to make roast chicken again.
"Julian, didn't you read the note I attached to that Old World cookbook you borrowed?!?  It said to roast the chicken at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, not Centigrade!"

The discussion by the table:

Una – So, you made this pastry with the apples I brought.
Helga – Yes, but according to the recipe I should have used some Old World spices. I wonder what cinnamon or cardamom was taste like...
Una - Have no idea, but I have a friend, whose uncle's neighbour tasted cinnamon once. He said it was delicious.
Helga - I bet it was good! Ummm.... do you think we can ask our brave explorers to look for old recipe books … errrr… unofficially?  For personal use.
Sara – Come on, this is an expedition for the sake of mankind!
Helle-Mai – Well, if you have money, or good connections, or some blackmail material…

Actually, Sara is a great believer in cuisine as an important cultural marker, so she'd be all for retrieving antique cookbooks and resurrecting Old World ingredients.  (Ever since she was a little girl, she's wanted to try this fairy-tale stuff called "Coca-Cola" that her grandparents were so nostalgic about.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:59:21 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #3154 on: July 14, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »
HOW DID I MISS THIS OH MY GOD

Sorry for bringing up an older post, but I just wanted to comment...
I love it so much! How you manage to make the poses so dynamic is beyond me, but they all look absolutely fantastic. Thank you!
Thank you! ;D

I wonder if you ever get bored of me repeating the same compliments each day? I just don't know what else to do though? It isn't as though I can *not* comment on how great these are, or how you can see the improvement pretty much with each picture, or how the parkour scouts series is turning out to be one of the best things ever! To do so would be inconceivable!
Heh, funny side note now that you're including WIPs, I didn't actually know that artists who drew people used the building blocks until very recently. Just assumed that they popped out near-perfect lineart straight onto the paper :P
No, wont tire of compliments, nope nope! Thank you som much! And lines - with the technique I'm using it's not som much lines as edges, which I find a lot easier. Digital lines are hard, so I prefer to avoid that if I can.

Aaand I'm done!

Here's the last drawing of the group series. I would like to thank my mom, my dad, the Academy and my pet frog George everyone for all your kind words and your encouragement, you guys are the best! I can't believe I did it! :D

I love it, thank you so much!! I love the relaxed, chatting pose of my character. And the conversation with Helga is spot on! And Julian in the background is hilarious. And I could go on commenting on the characterization of everyone, just like for the other groups you've made. They're really very good, funny and beautiful.

Curry, that's a really nice pose. I also had a what's that in the middle - oh it's a kn..! Kind of moment. Alices aim is good. 

AquaAurion, thank you! And poor Sofie - we'd better send her some cookies!
Kick, I'm looking forward to read the story

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #3155 on: July 14, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
Julian is a modern scientist. I'll have you know his alembic is purely ceremonial.
Still volatile enough to explode though, right?

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #3156 on: July 14, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »

Anything can explode if you apply enough science to it.

Icon drawn by Piney

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #3157 on: July 14, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
"Julian, didn't you read the note I attached to that Old World cookbook you borrowed?!?  It said to roast the chicken at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, not Centigrade!"
I can imagine Julian having the imperial system of units described to him - "sixteen ounces to a pound, fourteen pounds to a stone, water freezes at 32 degrees" - and deciding that you know what, the old world had it coming.

Depends what's kept in it. Considering how often his experiments go wrong or some other bad news crops up, it's probably kept in the bottom drawer of his desk and is home to 'Dr Adamsson's Private Reserve' at the moment.

Very true. Very true.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3158 on: July 14, 2015, 02:19:43 PM »
Julian is a modern scientist. I'll have you know his alembic is purely ceremonial.

*shrug* my knowledge about modern chemistry is crude at best. The best way to bring team 2 on board with sciency stuff is to rely on the boom factor.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #3159 on: July 14, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
I found this picture on Memebase just as I saw this, how appropriate:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #3160 on: July 14, 2015, 02:28:09 PM »
Once again, thank you so much for your comments, people! :)
I had so much fun drawing all the groups and I tried to give each and every one of you a different role in every scene, and I'm happy that it seems to have worked.

I found this picture on Memebase just as I saw this, how appropriate:

If Group 5 had a microwave?
Can you imagine Helga yelling at Julian for ruining her kitchen?
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #3161 on: July 14, 2015, 02:30:33 PM »
*shrug* my knowledge about modern chemistry is crude at best. The best way to bring team 2 on board with sciency stuff is to rely on the boom factor.
Considering the grenades my ssssona handed to Karri over in the self-insert expeditions thread, I'd like to think we've got that angle covered too :)

If Group 5 had a microwave?
Can you imagine Helga yelling at Julian for ruining her kitchen?
"I didn't ruin it! I improved it!"
The new microwave, able to cook a chicken in less than 35 seconds! Results may vary. Please note that 'cooked' does not mean 'edible'. Chicken not included.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #3162 on: July 14, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »
Considering the grenades my ssssona handed to Karri over in the self-insert expeditions thread, I'd like to think we've got that angle covered too :)
"I didn't ruin it! I improved it!"
The new microwave, able to cook a chicken in less than 35 seconds! Results may vary. Please note that 'cooked' does not mean 'edible'. Chicken not included.

Haha, I can *totally* see Julian rediscovering the microwave oven just like the first guy in 1945:
http://www.technologyreview.com/article/400335/melted-chocolate-to-microwave/

Raytheon credits the discovery of microwave cooking to a grade-school-educated engineer named Percy L. Spencer. One day in 1945, Spencer was walking through a radar test room with a chocolate bar in his pocket; he came too close to a running magnetron tube and the candy began to melt.

Spencer was already known at the company for his curiosity and ingenuity, and he reacted true to form-he pointed the magnetron at kernels of corn and watched them pop, aimed for an egg and saw it cook so quickly it exploded.

SectoBoss, your mad-scientist SSSSona is one of the most entertaining (if nerve-wracking) additions to the cast.  Are you this dangerous much fun IRL?   

Speaking of which, that alembic...
Depends what's kept in it. Considering how often his experiments go wrong or some other bad news crops up, it's probably kept in the bottom drawer of his desk and is home to 'Dr Adamsson's Private Reserve' at the moment.
Are we talking brandy (yay!) or kombucha (ew!)?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 02:47:29 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #3163 on: July 14, 2015, 03:00:21 PM »
Yeah, Julian makes Alexis pretty nervous too.

i have problems seeing the problems with a lot of things- especially since whenever i try thinking for myself everyone acts like i committed murder- yay.

but anything really destructive is bound to have Alexis thinking on the consquencces like- and i will never let this go but- SARIN GAS?? ? ? ? ?? ? ?- alexis doesn't know what sarin gas does bc it nobody bothered to tell him but if he does find out there will be yelling.  so much yelling. he will be yelling at Julian.
im actually a really conservative person who it just really self-destructive and tends to lash out at people but i dont actually want anybody hurt BUT IF I DO THEN I ASSURE YOU THERE IS A REASON

Icon drawn by Piney

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #3164 on: July 14, 2015, 03:09:18 PM »
Yeah, Julian makes Alexis pretty nervous too.

i have problems seeing the problems with a lot of things- especially since whenever i try thinking for myself everyone acts like i committed murder- yay.

but anything really destructive is bound to have Alexis thinking on the consquencces like- and i will never let this go but- SARIN GAS?? ? ? ? ?? ? ?- alexis doesn't know what sarin gas does bc it nobody bothered to tell him but if he does find out there will be yelling.  so much yelling. he will be yelling at Julian.
im actually a really conservative person who it just really self-destructive and tends to lash out at people but i dont actually want anybody hurt BUT IF I DO THEN I ASSURE YOU THERE IS A REASON

Good point!  That conflict actually could be a very productive engine of the story. 

Just because Julian is so nonchalant about sarin gas (and all the other horrors he cooks up), that doesn't mean the rest of us should be.  Fond though I am of the character, he does have a tiny streak of Wernher von Braun (not the rehabilitated-Nazi part, I hasten to add). 

"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun.

(Can you tell that Tom Lehrer is my imaginary boyfriend?  I have a soft spot for smart-alecs.  ;))