Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842266 times)

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #3045 on: July 11, 2015, 01:32:13 AM »
Uhhh, so I have an art trade-ish? gift for Alethryia of her SSSSona c: Gonna post it once my PC stops acting up *wills SAI to please not crash for the love of everything good*

Edit: ACTUALLY KIND OF DECENT COLORS ON MACS I'M CRYING FROM HAPPINESS

Alethryia, here you go! Johanna was lots of fun to draw! (ºvº) Sorry for any inaccuracies in her design T_T

I'm just sad that my copy of PaintTool SAI is awful and won't let me add more textures and stuff to make the painting cooler. And that my PC isn't better. It has issues handling big canvases, forget a 4k x 6k px one.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 05:37:53 PM by misea »
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

videovance

« Reply #3046 on: July 11, 2015, 03:08:29 AM »
Uhhh, so I have an art trade-ish? gift for Alethryia of her SSSSona c: Gonna post it once my PC stops acting up *wills SAI to please not crash for the love of everything good*

Alethryia, here you go! Johanna was lots of fun to draw! (ºvº) Sorry for any inaccuracies in her design T_T

I'm just sad that my copy of PaintTool SAI is awful and won't let me add more textures and stuff to make the painting cooler. And that my PC isn't better. It has issues handling big canvases, forget a 4k x 6k px one.
mate mATE MATE OH MY GOSH THIS IS AMAZING OH MY G O S H H h hhhh
the colouring is so pretty! I mean, the background, THE HAIR, they're absolutely beautiful aaaaaaaAAHHHH

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3047 on: July 11, 2015, 04:38:06 AM »
mate mATE MATE OH MY GOSH THIS IS AMAZING OH MY G O S H H h hhhh
the colouring is so pretty! I mean, the background, THE HAIR, they're absolutely beautiful aaaaaaaAAHHHH

*squawks in most undignified manner possible*
*happy squealing, self cheek squishing, and lots of general silliness ensues*
THANKS BROOO
I have to say that as much as I love this painting I'm still mourning the fact that I had to cover up some of the lineart ahah XD
I've had practice stabbing my foot fun fact I actually did stab my foot once on accident with a knitting needle--more like it stabbed me though drawing my own ridiculous hair (who the heck has two, maybe three hair types oN ONE HEAD HONESTLY) so yyyyeeeeepp

Also can't wait to see your SSSS OC and more of your art! 'v' tHAT SNOW BACKGROUND IN THAT FIC-INSPIRED PAINTING WAS AMAZING AS HECK (WHAT EVEN IS SNOW) AND THE LIGHTING AND SHADING?? ?? ?? AND ALSO JUST YOUR ART STYLE IS FLIPPING A D O R A B L E I CAN'T EVEN
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:43:07 AM by misea »
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3048 on: July 11, 2015, 04:43:23 AM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I love it- it is the most best!!! I adore your coloring, and it's so whimsical, and flowy, and fwooshy, and all the best adjectives!!!!! <3
Born into :canada:
Raised with :usa:
Struggled and lost with :spain:

I survived! :chap8:

videovance

« Reply #3049 on: July 11, 2015, 04:56:24 AM »
*squawks in most undignified manner possible*
*happy squealing, self cheek squishing, and lots of general silliness ensues*
THANKS BROOO
I have to say that as much as I love this painting I'm still mourning the fact that I had to cover up some of the lineart ahah XD
I've had practice stabbing my foot fun fact I actually did stab my foot once on accident with a knitting needle--more like it stabbed me though drawing my own ridiculous hair (who the heck has two, maybe three hair types oN ONE HEAD HONESTLY) so yyyyeeeeepp

Also can't wait to see your SSSS OC and more of your art! 'v' tHAT SNOW BACKGROUND IN THAT FIC-INSPIRED PAINTING WAS AMAZING AS HECK (WHAT EVEN IS SNOW) AND THE LIGHTING AND SHADING?? ?? ?? AND ALSO JUST YOUR ART STYLE IS FLIPPING A D O R A B L E I CAN'T EVEN
what bro that sounds rEALLY PAINFUL HOW DID YOU EVEN DO THAT- but then again I stabbed my foot with a hairclip before? so I can see how that happened, but still, noT WITH A HECKING KNITTING NEEDLE AAAHHHH
sobs I know that feeling, covering up lineart that you love is just the saddest thing in the world ;A; but bro, that hair is so good. I am just. I am in awe of that floofy hair, oh my gosh, it is sO PERFECT AND FLOWY AND ALL OF THE GREAT ADJECTIVES THAT ALETHRYIA USED

oh soz i already posted the OC here ;w;
BRO NO [falls over] nO IT'S MANLY AS HELL I SWEAR. but thank you so so so much!!!! [squishes your cheeks] ty buddy

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3050 on: July 11, 2015, 04:56:49 AM »

Really really beautiful! Will you look at this thread pretty please? I'm trying to collect everything we do here on a pinterest board, and your paintings are so good! (This petition goes to the other newcomers as well)

Great job on the poses, so nice and dynamic!
Thank you! Shoves down "I didn't come up with the poses I just copied them"-reflex with the memory of Haiz' absolutely wonderful rant of "there is no cheating in art it's all art" (Thank you Haiz!)

I love the art here!! Unlos, the poses and perspectives are amazing!! (and thank you so much for the colouring tutorial eSPECIALLY THE LAYER CLIPPING THING) + Rollo, for some reason, your art kind of reminds me of Quentin Blake's art style- it's very free and expressive! I love Lúðvík's personality ehehehe ;w;

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorial, I was also really happy when I learned about the clipping thing  :)

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3051 on: July 11, 2015, 05:03:31 AM »

Thank you! Shoves down "I didn't come up with the poses I just copied them"-reflex with the memory of Haiz' absolutely wonderful rant of "there is no cheating in art it's all art" (Thank you Haiz!)

But all the parkour are so much fun! We need more parkour! :D Reference images for the win!!!
Born into :canada:
Raised with :usa:
Struggled and lost with :spain:

I survived! :chap8:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #3052 on: July 11, 2015, 05:48:25 AM »
Yess more parkour (And I've already drawn Ilmari, otherwise he would have been a very likely victim)
In the meantime, Noodly Appendage (and I just had to throw in His Noodlyness):

Pose from Syccas stock (I love internet)

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3053 on: July 11, 2015, 06:00:15 AM »
AAAAAAH I FORGOT TO SIGN THE PAINTING OH NOES I REFUSE TO HAVE JERKS RIP OFF MY ART BRB GONNA DO THAT REAL FAST

@Alethryia:

*picks videovance off of the floor* My bad! I knew it sounded weird! "Adorable" isn't really right for paintings... It's 2:30 3 a.m. here ahahahahaaa so brain's complete mush. Anyways, it's very manly! Your OCs are v cool c:

Hehehe, I'm obsessed with drawing hair... all I doodled in high school was people moving/in the wind so that I could practice drawing hair in movement XD

Ah, about that stabbing-my-foot story... Here you go!
Spoiler: show

TW for blood, gore, and related.

[spoiler]It's totally embarrassing how it came about, but basically I was in eighth grade and me and my sibling were have a foot war and I had a plastic bag with my knitting projects lying close by. I thought my foot landed next to a knitting needle, but when I lifted my foot, it was stuck in my sock, so I was like, "Let's try pulling it out--hOLY !*&$(&#^$*&^%^&^*$#!" My sibling started freaking out a little. I thought, no.... no way. It can't possibly have gone through my foot. Then I had my sibling hand me a pair of scissors and I cut open my sock... and voilà, of course it did. Odd thing was, it didn't hurt at all, and I was very matter-of-fact and maybe a little too calm for someone who had a knitting needle stuck in their foot. (At least it was on the thin side?) It was my sibling who started hyperventilating and crying. I called my parents, who were on a walk, and some family friends and their daughters dropped by to give us a gift and found me sitting on my bed with an honest-to-god knitting needle in my foot and my sibling freaking out. The entire ride to the nearest ER facility (like 30 min away because my city is SMALL) everyone but me was spazzing. I got wheeled in and they gave me laughing gas (I was actually laughing, but only 'cause I was nervous about how they were gonna get it out) which was kinda ?? ?? ?? and the doctor said "I'm gonna have to pull it out." That's when I started freaking out. No anesthesia? No numbing agent?? NOTHING?? But I really wanted that knitting needle out so I nodded and giggled nervously and he counted to three and freaking yanked the thing out and holy smokes it effing HURT and there was some blood dripping and my stomach got a little queasy. I was on crutches for three weeks and had a lot of fun freaking out my friends with the X-Rays they took. And that's how the ER people got a memorable story and how I got a knitting needle in (and out of) my foot.

Epilogue: I wasn't thinking when they asked if I wanted to keep the knitting needle and I told them to throw it away and only on the car ride back did I realize that its other half now was useless. Soooo :I And now I keep my knitting projects faaaaar away from my feet.

[/spoiler]

@Unlos: I'll take a look! And get around to finishing my 'sona designs, I'm not 100% sure that I'm satisfied with her mage outfit. And also practice lighting/shading *sobs*
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:07:42 AM by misea »

videovance

« Reply #3054 on: July 11, 2015, 06:29:54 AM »
AAAAAAH I FORGOT TO SIGN THE PAINTING OH NOES I REFUSE TO HAVE JERKS RIP OFF MY ART BRB GONNA DO THAT REAL FAST

@Alethryia:

*picks videovance off of the floor* My bad! I knew it sounded weird! "Adorable" isn't really right for paintings... It's 2:30 3 a.m. here ahahahahaaa so brain's complete mush. Anyways, it's very manly! Your OCs are v cool c:

Hehehe, I'm obsessed with drawing hair... all I doodled in high school was people moving/in the wind so that I could practice drawing hair in movement XD

Ah, about that stabbing-my-foot story... Here you go!

TW for blood, gore, and related.

[spoiler]It's totally embarrassing how it came about, but basically I was in eighth grade and me and my sibling were have a foot war and I had a plastic bag with my knitting projects lying close by. I thought my foot landed next to a knitting needle, but when I lifted my foot, it was stuck in my sock, so I was like, "Let's try pulling it out--hOLY !*&$(&#^$*&^%^&^*$#!" My sibling started freaking out a little. I thought, no.... no way. It can't possibly have gone through my foot. Then I had my sibling hand me a pair of scissors and I cut open my sock... and voilà, of course it did. Odd thing was, it didn't hurt at all, and I was very matter-of-fact and maybe a little too calm for someone who had a knitting needle stuck in their foot. (At least it was on the thin side?) It was my sibling who started hyperventilating and crying. I called my parents, who were on a walk, and some family friends and their daughters dropped by to give us a gift and found me sitting on my bed with an honest-to-god knitting needle in my foot and my sibling freaking out. The entire ride to the nearest ER facility (like 30 min away because my city is SMALL) everyone but me was spazzing. I got wheeled in and they gave me laughing gas (I was actually laughing, but only 'cause I was nervous about how they were gonna get it out) which was kinda ?? ?? ?? and the doctor said "I'm gonna have to pull it out." That's when I started freaking out. No anesthesia? No numbing agent?? NOTHING?? But I really wanted that knitting needle out so I nodded and giggled nervously and he counted to three and freaking yanked the thing out and holy smokes it effing HURT and there was some blood dripping and my stomach got a little queasy. I was on crutches for three weeks and had a lot of fun freaking out my friends with the X-Rays they took. And that's how the ER people got a memorable story and how I got a knitting needle in (and out of) my foot.

Epilogue: I wasn't thinking when they asked if I wanted to keep the knitting needle and I told them to throw it away and only on the car ride back did I realize that its other half now was useless. Soooo :I And now I keep my knitting projects faaaaar away from my feet.

[/spoiler]

@Unlos: I'll take a look! And get around to finishing my 'sona designs, I'm not 100% sure that I'm satisfied with her mage outfit. And also practice lighting/shading *sobs*

Ahahahaha no I was joking, it's not manly as hell ;w;; I prefer adorable!
Drawing hair movement? Oh, dang, that sounds like a really good idea, actually! I'm gonna try that out 0u0
Spoiler: about the story • show
TW blood + gore
OH MAN DUDE THAT SOUNDS REALLY REALLY PAINFUL AAAHHHHGGHHHHH

it went THROUGH your foot??? ouch bro that sounds awful ;A;

Uh, you weren't really gonna use that needle again to knit, were you? (then again that would be a hilarious thing to freak people out with- "hEY GUYS THIS NEEDLE WENT THROUGH MY FOOT ONCE HAHAHAH why are you all screaming")

But the important question: Do you have a totally sick scar that you can use to freak people out? IMPORTANT TO KNOW //slapped

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3055 on: July 11, 2015, 06:53:06 AM »
@videovance I totally thought you were joking at first about the "manly art" thing but then I was like "maybe not?...." basically DON'T EVER LET ME STAY UP LATE I AM A GENIUS THEN BUT I AM ALSO INCREDIBLY TIRED AND WILL START NOT MAKING SENSE. AND USE CAPS TOO MUCH

HAHAHA! The only times it hurt was when I bumped my foot or the needle during the car ride and when the doctor yanked it out. Kinda weird. I don't think I was shocked, 'cause I was thinking "oh, needle in my foot, let's get it out asap please" and also "hey weird story to tell my friends!" (I've never really had serious health problems or broken bones or sprained anything, hence my strange thought process)

I probably would've kept it and used it again, but at the moment I was making the decision I thought for some reason that it was unusable/the needle couldn't be disinfected. o.0

Aw, I almost wish I had a scar... but no, it healed over really quick. There's almost nothing on my foot that would indicate that I had punctured it. Maybe a weird teeeeeeny mark, but that's about it.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #3056 on: July 11, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »
But all the parkour are so much fun! We need more parkour! :D Reference images for the win!!!
More parkour!

And some WIPs under the spoiler:
The reference:

videovance

« Reply #3057 on: July 11, 2015, 08:29:56 AM »
More parkour!

And some WIPs under the spoiler:
The reference:

Unlos, that looks incredible! Parkour hype!! I love the pose you used, it's really complex but it looks great! Especially the way you drew the boots and the floofy hair :) Plus, those in-progress photos are super helpful to look at! ( · w · )

Misea, ahaha it's okay- but you gotta go to sleep, dude. It's like, what, 3am over there? ;A;;;
That's actually kind of hilarious that you were so calm like "ah yes, this happened, time to go fix it". I would be like your family, just completely freaking out tbh ahahaha

But no scar?? That's no fun! Battle scars are super fun. Even if they're not from battle ehehehe

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #3058 on: July 11, 2015, 09:31:58 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #3059 on: July 11, 2015, 10:16:55 AM »
Unlos, that looks incredible! Parkour hype!! I love the pose you used, it's really complex but it looks great! Especially the way you drew the boots and the floofy hair :) Plus, those in-progress photos are super helpful to look at! ( · w · )
Thank you! I'm glad the WIPs are helpful, I'll try to keep throwing some of them up.

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.
Oops, sorry I forgot to comment, welcome to the crew! And what a ray of sunshine he looks like, too ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:31:41 AM by Unlos »