Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 832693 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #3015 on: July 08, 2015, 06:56:27 PM »

She better not walk with it outside though, wouldn't want some triggerhappy "Emil"-type person sending panicky lead their way.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 04:59:40 AM by Fimbulvarg »

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3016 on: July 09, 2015, 09:57:15 AM »

Instead of going by my OCD-tendencies and drawing everyone strictly alphabetically. I jumped ahead to Gwenno!

No background in this one, because I couldn't decide what she's fighting..
Love the pose!! =D She really looks like she's flying throug the air!

Hey, so I spent the better chunk of my evening (or morning, if we're going to be technical) creating my self insert using a great character creator based off the Lord of the Rings.
I had to improvise the hair, but thanks to layering options and individual pieces, I was able to replicate her trademark bob! And drag and drop bits-and-baubles made all her accessories possible.
You have to be creative to make what you want, but great for nit-picks like me  ;)
http://www.dolldivine.com/hobbit-and-lotr-dress-up-game.php

So here's Mimmi is traditional Viking garb, maybe worn back home in Sweden for festivals? I dunno  ::)

BONUS ROUND: Have a divalicious Mimmi too, posing with some swag and fabulous pre-rash makeup she probably scored while doing a delivery run.

Beautiful! The hair turned out really nicely :D

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #3017 on: July 09, 2015, 09:18:27 PM »
Alright so after seeing Laufey and Haiz's regional/personal gothics in the general discussion thread, callipygous and I started talking about the meme and of course it eventually turned into our SSSSonas. I wrote a TON of Karri gothic and I'm going to animate each and every one of them.

Here's my first:

-you comment on how nicely karri’s hair is growing out. they don’t respond. you realize that’s not karri at all, just a rather large dust cloud with glasses.

And here are the rest of the safer/less horrifying ones I came up with:
  • you are brushing karri’s hair. as you attempt to brush it, you realize there aren’t individual strands. it smells like sugar.
  • you see karri fiddling around with explosives. where do you get all those materials, you ask. they don’t know what you’re talking about and when you look again they’re petting a cat. the cat is black.
  • every time you look at karri you change your mind on their gender. you don’t understand why. they look like a woman. wait no, a man. wait.
  • once karri tried on a hat. it was never seen again, but if you look at them in the moonlight, you can see the silhouette of its skeleton resting gently upon their head
  • sometimes they describe what it was like back home. you can never seem to stay interested past the first three words, but the tone of their voice makes you think of dirt, and the bones which lie underneath
  • karri’s cat is adorable. they have no cat. karri’s cat lets you pet its belly. they have no cat. karri constantly shows you pictures of their cat. they have no cat, you think, as you stroke its fur.
  • “oops, it happened again,” they say. everything is smoking and you have no memory of the past 48 hours.
  • karri is holding an envelope upside down. flowers and shards of bones are spewing out. “i swear, this happens every time,” they say, shaking their head irritatedly.

That last one is one of my personal favorites, ehehe. The rest of them can be found here, but be warned, some have very graphic violent imagery and general spooky themes (I accidentally dipped into horror there, oops). Password and trigger list under the spoiler:

Spoiler: show

trigger list: dead animal mention, hollow eyes, blood, implied violence, explicit violence, animals inducing violence, suffocation, finger harm, tooth harm, eye harm mention, general (sarcastic) demonic aura, lots and lots of teeth everywhere, gum harm, knives, explosives, finger harm, lots of violence inflicted on a person titled 'you' / referred to in the second person, karri generally being a salty human being
[spoiler]
bro i'm really not joking. this is not the nicest stuff and i don't want to freak anybody out. plz be warn
[spoiler]
password is: same

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
YEET

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #3018 on: July 09, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #3019 on: July 09, 2015, 09:29:43 PM »
Alright so after seeing Laufey and Haiz's regional/personal gothics in the general discussion thread, callipygous and I started talking about the meme and of course it eventually turned into our SSSSonas. I wrote a TON of Karri gothic and I'm going to animate each and every one of them.

Here's my first:

-you comment on how nicely karri’s hair is growing out. they don’t respond. you realize that’s not karri at all, just a rather large dust cloud with glasses.

And here are the rest of the safer/less horrifying ones I came up with:
  • you are brushing karri’s hair. as you attempt to brush it, you realize there aren’t individual strands. it smells like sugar.
  • you see karri fiddling around with explosives. where do you get all those materials, you ask. they don’t know what you’re talking about and when you look again they’re petting a cat. the cat is black.
  • every time you look at karri you change your mind on their gender. you don’t understand why. they look like a woman. wait no, a man. wait.
  • once karri tried on a hat. it was never seen again, but if you look at them in the moonlight, you can see the silhouette of its skeleton resting gently upon their head
  • sometimes they describe what it was like back home. you can never seem to stay interested past the first three words, but the tone of their voice makes you think of dirt, and the bones which lie underneath
  • karri’s cat is adorable. they have no cat. karri’s cat lets you pet its belly. they have no cat. karri constantly shows you pictures of their cat. they have no cat, you think, as you stroke its fur.
  • “oops, it happened again,” they say. everything is smoking and you have no memory of the past 48 hours.
  • karri is holding an envelope upside down. flowers and shards of bones are spewing out. “i swear, this happens every time,” they say, shaking their head irritatedly.

That last one is one of my personal favorites, ehehe. The rest of them can be found here, but be warned, some have very graphic violent imagery and general spooky themes (I accidentally dipped into horror there, oops). Password and trigger list under the spoiler:

Spoiler: show

trigger list: dead animal mention, hollow eyes, blood, implied violence, explicit violence, animals inducing violence, suffocation, finger harm, tooth harm, eye harm mention, general (sarcastic) demonic aura, lots and lots of teeth everywhere, gum harm, knives, explosives, finger harm, lots of violence inflicted on a person titled 'you' / referred to in the second person, karri generally being a salty human being
[spoiler]
bro i'm really not joking. this is not the nicest stuff and i don't want to freak anybody out. plz be warn
[spoiler]
password is: same

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

*Arbet starts running*
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3020 on: July 09, 2015, 09:35:22 PM »
are u ok

:^) very
No but seriously, I'm perfectly fine, I just don't want other people to Not Be Ok if they accidentally read them and Spook Themselves.

quietly breaks a fine china teacup
YEET

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #3021 on: July 09, 2015, 09:52:04 PM »
Please excuse my internet ignorance but what exactly is a personal meme and how does it work? Where do they come from?

This might be the wrong thread to ask but I am just very confused about what is going on.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3022 on: July 09, 2015, 09:54:54 PM »
Please excuse my internet ignorance but what exactly is a personal meme and how does it work? Where do they come from?

This might be the wrong thread to ask but I am just very confused about what is going on.

Ahahahaha, it's kind of this thing that started on tumblr. Here's the explanation and the personal version is just that kind of meme but based on a specific character or person (all the ones I've encountered on tumblr are 'personal', based on characters or fandoms)
YEET

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #3023 on: July 09, 2015, 09:56:53 PM »

*joins Viola in being confused*

EDIT: Oops, Curry had already answered.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:09:59 PM by Daéa Reina »
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #3024 on: July 09, 2015, 10:02:45 PM »
Ahahahaha, it's kind of this thing that started on tumblr. Here's the explanation and the personal version is just that kind of meme but based on a specific character or person (all the ones I've encountered on tumblr are 'personal', based on characters or fandoms)

Ok so the memes are the blurbs? Or are the memes the pictures? Or both?

*maybe doesnt know what a meme is* *hides*
Ugh this makes me sound waaaay older than I am :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3025 on: July 09, 2015, 10:05:25 PM »

In this case, the blurbs, but I decided to illustrate some of them as animation practice. v__v I can't really explain memes very well considering I grew up with them, so maybe ask google?
YEET

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #3026 on: July 09, 2015, 10:54:50 PM »

I love memes, 90% of everything that I say is a reference to a meme, even if you don't know it

Memes are strange things, born of circumstance... like new species that are discovered in a vast rain forest!
Wikipedia defines memes as...
"A meme is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture". An Internet meme may take the form of an image, hyperlink, video, picture, website, or hashtag. It may be just a word or phrase, including an intentional misspelling. These small movements tend to spread from person to person via social networks, blogs, direct email, or news sources. They may relate to various existing Internet cultures or subcultures, often created or spread on various websites."

This is a fancy way of saying that they are born of pop-culture, and trends on the internet. One person will create or react to something that they think is funny (oftentimes a post on social media), someone else will like this new idea, and it spreads. They are adopted into our language, and become what we call a "reference". They are very much based on the region you occupy: certain memes exist in certain places, but not others.

They are often used as reactions to things: this one in particular is based off an expression President Obama made one time:

People often post it as a response to someone doing something impressive, like when you nod your head and do that weird frowny-thing.

What's that you say: "How will I know if I see a meme?"
Well lemme tell you something; OUR FANDOM HAS MEMES

WWWWhhhhaaAAAAatttt?!?

Our fandom has created some memes that we exclusively as an online community use! That's right, you've probably used one at some point in time! In conversation, or posting a picture as a response: that's a meme! It's born of a certain cultural group (Minna's comic following), as a response to an event (probably something someone said in a comment or a panel from the comic). Once it it used more than once, it's become a meme!

THIS IS A MEME

So there you have it!
Trinka's Hopefully Kinda-Helpful Introduction to Knowing Your Memes!

*I think I'll put this on the meme thread too...*
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #3027 on: July 09, 2015, 10:59:50 PM »
Thank you!! It all makes so much more sense now!  ;D

I've been using memes all along without even knowing it :O

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #3028 on: July 10, 2015, 12:24:28 AM »

As an Old Forum Person, I'd like to provide some backstory:

Originally, we only had the fanart thread. Then, people (myself included) starting posting edits of the original comic images, usually in a funny way, to it. It was decided that since it's not exactly fanart (as in, we were remixing Minna's  work rather than making our own work based on hers), that it should have its own thread and thus, the Meme/Edit thread was born.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg