Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842373 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #2790 on: June 30, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »
*Feels an urgent need to see The Secret of Kells again*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2791 on: June 30, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »
!!!!!!!!
This is SO cute!! I love it! Thank you so much! *-*

YAY! I'm so glad everyone likes theirs! <3
Born into :canada:
Raised with :usa:
Struggled and lost with :spain:

I survived! :chap8:

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2792 on: June 30, 2015, 09:05:32 PM »
I don't think OrigamiOwl is that crazy. A bit kooky maybe, but not crazy.
I think you want to have team 3 follow team 2 into the operation zone, not the other way around - if you catch my drift.

What, insubordination!? You think you can outrun the fists of discipline?

Well, Arbet can teleport....so yeah, good luck with the fist thing.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #2793 on: July 01, 2015, 12:42:50 AM »
AAAAAH these self-inserts are all so CUTE *flops on bed after reading 120 pages*

Uhhhhh I'm so late to this party (college i h8 u) but here's my self-insert (I took a few days longer than I thought I would because of my dratted elbows FFFFFF):

Expedition uniform:

Mage outfit edit:changed some colors:

I have a headcanon that mages descended from non-Nordic ethnic groups totally have some of their ancestors' cultural clothing/accessories in the dreamworld.

And a headshot (she usually has her hair in a ponytail or stuffed in the hood not pictured here):

ANYWAYS info about my self-insert in the spoilers because it's so loooong.

Spoiler: A whole lot of blathering • show
Name: Karoliina Tiainen
Nationality: Finn
Area of birth: Saimaa
Immunity: Yes
Profession: skald (more of a translator), mage
Languages: :finland:, :norway:, :iceland:, mostly fluent in :sweden:, knows enough of :china: to mostly hold a non-technical conversation, and trying to learn :denmark:

Karoliina moved to Keuruu with her family when she was 3 and quickly developed an interest in books. Her Chinese great-grandparents moved to Finland (specifically Saimaa, because dang do those mountains remind them of China’s) sometime before the Rash struck, hence her Asian features and ridiculous hair that came about when she was 13 (“, (MOOOOOOM) WHY ARE THERE CURLS?! NO ONE IN OUR FAMILY HAS CURLS!” “我的小猫咪 (my kitten), your great-grandmother had curly hair too. And probably a few relatives from your dad’s side too.”). Grandmothers both casualties of troll attacks (weren’t immune), one grandfather has chronic pain in an old wound area. Her father is of Finnish descent (hence her last name, which coincidentally could be translated phonetically into Mandarin). Her mother passed down what little Mandarin she knew, and Karoliina learned Norwegian and Icelandic during her studies to become a translator/skald. She’s attempting to learn Swedish and Danish on the expedition, when they’re not sprinting for their lives or busy with other work.

A total bookworm, she might be a little too well-read—she’s been terrified of the Silent World ever since she got her hands on detailed drawings of some of the walking nightmares out there at 5, and particularly afraid of the Maahinen (which may be the reason for one of her grandmothers’ fate, but no one knows). Is a cautious and observant person by nature. Introverted, reserved, and rather catlike but usually friendly (she can be quite untalkative or distracted and curt some days). A loyal and protective friend, she won’t hesitate to destroy you if you’re a threat. Loves her alone time. Adores cats (and gets along well with them too, wild or not) but will only pet if the cat seems okay with it (she’s not a touchy feely person anyway). Detests bugs and spiders and most creepy crawlies. Much prefers the safety of the walls. Absolutely hates needing sleep when she’s got work or a project and has gone into flow mode, and will complain about it (with a lot of swearing in different languages) if you tell her “Hiitos, go to bed already, we don’t need a sleepwalker,” as her parents and younger sibling have told her on many occasions. She’s actually quite practical though, ex., preferring pants over skirts (“UGH this skirt is getting EVERYWHERE”).

No one knew for sure if she was a mage until she was 16 so she’s rather untrained (but fairly powerful, fortunately). Thinks being a mage is pretty cool, but also that she really could do without visions of trolls (the unfortunate side of things), gory details or not—she’s already memorized by heart the few fictional stories that were written by the people of the Old World and brought to Keuruu, and they’re already scary enough. Is excellent at what defensive magework she’s demonstrated and a couple of offensive moves for desperate times. Her dad, also a mage, has taught her some more advanced stuff. Started working evening shifts with an older and more experienced mage before her dad, who is waaaaay too enthusiastic about his older child being one, signed her up for an expedition into the Silent World (“You need to practice your magework, Carole [Karoliina’s nickname], and this is the perfect opportunity!”). Needless to say, she was not pleased (“Are you trying to get me killed?!”).

Is probably scared and worried witless half the time but tries not to show it (and is successful most of the time, as she tends to block out the fact that trolls and giants and beasts exist). Absolutely useless when it comes to carrying books out of the buildings because she’ll be paralyzed with fear as they tiptoe around and will probably scream (and wake up the block) and forget that she has weapons if she comes across a grossling in such close quarters. Fast runner and on the short and skinny side, which will come in handy. Probably uses a revolver more than her rifle because she’s so freaking tiny (under 100 pounds still :I she blames a very crazy summer month full of grossling attacks when she was 14). More badass than she thinks she is, but has kind of a weak stomach when it comes to blood, gore, car rides, and grosslings. Totally overprotective of the expedition members. Has the worst and best luck—how that works, no one knows, but she's still alive :B.

wow i feel like my self-insert is such a mary sue

Shorter summary because I realized that wow the stuff in the spoiler is so unorganized and also who needs sleep:

Languages: :finland:, :norway:, :iceland:, mostly fluent in :sweden:, knows enough of :china: to mostly hold a non-technical conversation, and trying to learn :denmark:

- has Chinese ancestry
- moved to Keuruu @ 3 years old
- dad signed her up for an expedition into the Silent World because "you need to practice your magework and this is perfect!!!"
- skald/mage accidental-sorta-badass who has a weak-ish stomach and didn't tell anyone she was probably a mage until she was 16
- overprotective loyal worrywart extraordinaire
- specializes in what defensive magework she knows and a couple of offensive moves just in case
- scared to death of the Silent World
- loves cats, languages, safety, and personal space
- absolutely useless when it comes to salvaging books because she'll freeze, scream, and forget she has weapons (and training, however little) if she encounters a grossling
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 05:45:11 PM by misea »
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #2794 on: July 01, 2015, 02:01:15 AM »
For Haiz, just because I love the post in which you said you wouldn't ask...  ;)

SCREECHES I DIDN'T DESERVE THIS *lies down on floor* i love it

also welcome new members of the self-insert squad!! I'm not able to read long expositions a the moment, but misea wow wowowoww your drawings are super nice O: O: O: (and I totally support the theory of ancestry affecting people magics)
you'll know where to find me.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #2795 on: July 01, 2015, 02:40:05 AM »
Another Kahli preview.

With a spell focus, still no background (changed the canvas color so I could see where I have overlap on layers better)

Probably going to work on Dancingranger's next because I'm currently at a loss for what to do for a background for Kahli's while I have a decent idea for dancingranger's. (he just walked out of the messhall)
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2796 on: July 01, 2015, 03:07:48 AM »
AAAAAH these self-inserts are all so CUTE *flops on bed after reading 120 pages*

Uhhhhh I'm so late to this party (college i h8 u) but here's my self-insert (I took a few days longer than I thought I would because of my dratted elbows FFFFFF):

I love your art and look forward to reading your bio in the morning, I'm still making my way through the infodump!

looking good so far Solokov!!!  :D
Born into :canada:
Raised with :usa:
Struggled and lost with :spain:

I survived! :chap8:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #2797 on: July 01, 2015, 03:27:59 AM »
Ummm soo I was on a train for 5 hours today without wifi, and I had some random pieces of scrap paper and then this happened:

Origami accordion troll!! (and it jumps too) :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #2798 on: July 01, 2015, 03:37:10 AM »

Origami accordion troll!! (and it jumps too) :D

That's weirdly cute and hilarious... tutorial please? :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2799 on: July 01, 2015, 04:09:58 AM »
I don't think OrigamiOwl is that crazy. A bit kooky maybe, but not crazy.
HOORAY!
productive one word post is productive
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:12:36 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #2800 on: July 01, 2015, 05:42:21 AM »
Hee hee, I *love* the Barbie Girl song!  I actually got a leadership citation at one job for something (marginally) involving it. 

Anyway, I imagine if your ssssona ever made it to Mora, Aamu and Sara's paths would cross, given our common interests in the Old World and old-time music, languages, and technology.  (Sara even knows what a Barbie is.)  Maybe she could be a beta reader for Aamu's manuscript?

I am sure that at one point she would be in Mora :) As for the beta reader thing, I think Aamu would freak out at the prospect of actually showing her work to someone else. But maybe Sara can coax her patiently.

Viisikielinenkantele that's really great. And it's nice to see other Finnish ssssonas that have traveled. Ilmari would probably also be interested if she ever came to Mara (and he had a night off work to do something). She might even get him to talk first. :P

IRL i've always loved music of basically all kinds. I'm guessing you're a music person too.

She would surely be delighted to meet your SSSSona! You will find her at the bar after performances in whichever pub she plays at the moment.  ;D

Misea: Wow, your self-insert looks really good!
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #2801 on: July 01, 2015, 06:36:24 AM »

Expedition uniform:

Mage outfit + lineart (maybe I'll add shading + more details later--totally burnt out right now):

I have a headcanon that mages descended from non-Nordic ethnic groups totally have some of their ancestors' cultural clothing/accessories in the dreamworld.
Also my hair is actually ridiculous. There's straight strands in the back underneath the big curls (there's really small weird curls along individual strands GO FIGURE) and the front is wavy, and then sometimes a small-ish bunch of strands will look like I curled them with a curler. So I'm really happy with how this turned out because MY HAIR IS SUCH A PAIN.

And a headshot (she usually has her hair in a ponytail or stuffed in the hood not pictured here):

ANYWAYS info about my self-insert in the spoilers because it's so loooong.

Spoiler: A whole lot of blathering • show

Karoliina moved to Keuruu with her family when she was 3 and quickly developed an interest in books. Her Chinese great-grandparents moved to Finland (specifically Saimaa, because dang do those mountains remind them of China’s) sometime before the Rash struck, hence her Asian features and ridiculous hair that came about when she was 13 (“, (MOOOOOOM) WHY ARE THERE CURLS?! NO ONE IN OUR FAMILY HAS CURLS!” “我的小猫咪 (my kitten), your great-grandmother had curly hair too. And probably a few relatives from your dad’s side too.”). Grandmothers both casualties of troll attacks (weren’t immune), one grandfather has chronic pain in an old wound area. Her father is of Finnish descent (hence her last name, which coincidentally could be translated phonetically into Mandarin). Her mother passed down what little Mandarin she knew, and Karoliina learned Norwegian and Icelandic during her studies to become a translator/skald. She’s attempting to learn Swedish and Danish on the expedition, when they’re not sprinting for their lives or busy with other work.

A total bookworm, she might be a little too well-read—she’s been terrified of the Silent World ever since she got her hands on detailed drawings of some of the walking nightmares out there at 5, and particularly afraid of the Maahinen (which may be the reason for one of her grandmothers’ fate, but no one knows). Is a cautious and observant person by nature. Introverted, reserved, and rather catlike but usually friendly (she can be quite untalkative or distracted and curt some days). A loyal and protective friend, she won’t hesitate to destroy you if you’re a threat. Loves her alone time. Adores cats (and gets along well with them too, wild or not) but will only pet if the cat seems okay with it (she’s not a touchy feely person anyway). Detests bugs and spiders and most creepy crawlies. Much prefers the safety of the walls. Absolutely hates needing sleep when she’s got work or a project and has gone into flow mode, and will complain about it (with a lot of swearing in different languages) if you tell her “Hiitos, go to bed already, we don’t need a sleepwalker,” as her parents and younger sibling have told her on many occasions. She’s actually quite practical though, ex., preferring pants over skirts (“UGH this skirt is getting EVERYWHERE”).

No one knew for sure if she was a mage until she was 16 so she’s rather untrained (but fairly powerful, fortunately). Thinks being a mage is pretty cool, but also that she really could do without visions of trolls (the unfortunate side of things), gory details or not—she’s already memorized by heart the few fictional stories that were written by the people of the Old World and brought to Keuruu, and they’re already scary enough. Is excellent at what defensive magework she’s demonstrated and a couple of offensive moves for desperate times. Her dad, also a mage, has taught her some more advanced stuff. Started working evening shifts with an older and more experienced mage before her dad, who is waaaaay too enthusiastic about his older child being one, signed her up for an expedition into the Silent World (“You need to practice your magework, Carole [Karoliina’s nickname], and this is the perfect opportunity!”). Needless to say, she was not pleased (“Are you trying to get me killed?!”).

Is probably scared and worried witless half the time but tries not to show it (and is successful most of the time, as she tends to block out the fact that trolls and giants and beasts exist). Absolutely useless when it comes to carrying books out of the buildings because she’ll be paralyzed with fear as they tiptoe around and will probably scream (and wake up the block) and forget that she has weapons if she comes across a grossling in such close quarters. Fast runner and on the short and skinny side, which will come in handy. Probably uses a revolver more than her rifle because she’s so freaking tiny (under 100 pounds still :I she blames a very crazy summer month full of grossling attacks when she was 14). More badass than she thinks she is, but has kind of a weak stomach when it comes to blood, gore, car rides, and grosslings. Totally overprotective of the expedition members. Has the worst and best luck—how that works, no one knows, but she's still alive :B.

wow i feel like my self-insert is such a mary sue

Shorter summary because I realized that wow the stuff in the spoiler is so unorganized and also who needs sleep:

- has Chinese ancestry
- moved to Keuruu @ 3 years old
- dad signed her up for an expedition into the Silent World because "you need to practice your magework and this is perfect!!!"
- skald/mage accidental-sorta-badass who has a weak-ish stomach and didn't tell anyone she was probably a mage until she was 16
- overprotective loyal worrywart extraordinaire
- specializes in what defensive magework she knows and a couple of offensive moves just in case
- scared to death of the Silent World
- loves cats, languages, safety, and personal space
- absolutely useless when it comes to salvaging books because she'll freeze, scream, and forget she has weapons (and training, however little) if she encounters a grossling
She looks cool, and excellent work on the backstory. It'll be interesting to see how she fits in with the rest of the crew. :)
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #2802 on: July 01, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »
That's weirdly cute and hilarious... tutorial please? :D

(Sorry just got to the hotel) I will make one at some point this week if not tonight. It'll either be in the art tutorial thread or I'll make a separate origami thread.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2803 on: July 01, 2015, 12:14:32 PM »
Misea, welcome to the crew, your 'sona looks great! And I like her backstory :)

Viola ...oh my gosh that's wonderful. Don't know if I have anything more constructive to say but I love it :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:16:13 PM by Piney »

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #2804 on: July 01, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »
misea: Such a cute insert! Welcome to the expedition! (I've said this same sentence so many times this week already... We have a lot of new members!)

Feartheviolas: ohh, it jumps!! Tutorial, please!
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."