Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842281 times)

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #2775 on: June 30, 2015, 04:15:07 PM »
Oh, I forgot to say welcome M-ew and love the comics Curry!

Art is coming shortly from the WIP page I posted earlier!

Thank you Unlos! I love the way you're coloring the sketches!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:38:45 PM by Alethryia »
Born into :canada:
Raised with :usa:
Struggled and lost with :spain:

I survived! :chap8:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #2776 on: June 30, 2015, 05:22:03 PM »
So, I'm late to the party but can I maybe still join the band-wagon?

I thought you could use a musician for the obligatory parties...

My self-insert:

Name: Aamu Suonen
Origin: Finland, Ontojärvi
Profession: Musician, Skald
Immunity: yes
Languages: Finnish, Swedish, English, a little bit of Icelandic, Norwegian, Italian, German
Hair: reddish blond
Eye-colour: blue-green

Aamu began to sing before she could speak and as soon as she could ask questions, pestered the old ones in her settlement about songs, instruments
and music in general. When she discovered that there was a whole world of music consisting of old sheet music and CDs (and a working CD-Player)
in her grandmother's attic, she knew her destiny: she would try to learn and preserve as much music from before the ending of the old world as she could.
While caring for her grandmother and other retirees in her settlement she learned everything from them she could, including runo-laulu, playing the kantele, piano, flute
and a little bit of every instrument she could lay her hands on.
Soon after the death of her beloved grandmother she began traveling all over the known world, working as a wandering bard and always searching for new
music. Every time she feels she has learned a sufficient amount of the regional music (or is thrown out because of her ability to annoy everyone around her), she travels on.

Her language skills come from the need to understand the lyrics. This led to a very wonky vocabulary (just guess what italian words you learn solely
listening to italian opera)

Fun Fact: Because of her immunity status she felt that she wanted to contribute to survival of humanity and donated to the Dagrenning program (the other
reason was maybe that she was utterly broke when coming to Iceland but she doesn't like to be reminded to this profane reason).
Sometimes she thinks of her probable offspring and wonders if they're happy. But honestly she doesn't want responsibility for children now.

Aamu is not very interested in violence but is skilled in throwing knifes. She refused to learn to shoot though.

Her curiosity often gets the better of her and she is known to be thrown out of more houses of elderly people than anybody else because of her relentless
pestering.

She would probably try to train Blorp-Troll to scream in pitch with her and poke Laufey-Troll again and again, just to find out how it makes the
accordion-noises...

When you search for her, you can find her probably sitting somewhere with an instrument playing to herself and trying to fit her lyrics to an old-world-melody
She often ends up writing new lyrics because the old ones don't fit the modern world in her opinion (no copyright-problems, yay!). In her free time (which she has a lot at daytime, because she mostly plays in the evenings, heh...) she is writing on and off a comparative history of music. But it probably never will be finished, since she is never stopping her research.

This little scene came to my mind (I don't know if anyone remembers this awful song, but I found the thought funny that she would sit there and rack her brain what the text means) :

(It's my first try in digital drawing and I can not even draw on paper so please excuse the bad quality)
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #2777 on: June 30, 2015, 05:26:06 PM »

You can always join! :D Welcome to the crew! You've been added to the infodump • v •
YEET

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #2778 on: June 30, 2015, 05:35:04 PM »
You can always join! :D Welcome to the crew! You've been added to the infodump • v •

Wow, this was fast! Thank you!

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

m-ew

• Super-Newbie
  • im rae!! talk to me about my ssssona :3c
« Reply #2779 on: June 30, 2015, 05:37:56 PM »

actually, I know m-ew irl and they are a REALLY GOOD leader. (great with people and very logical) Would you guys be ok with me placing them as group 3 group leader?

thank u curry omg!!! id love for rune to end up being the group 3 leader. they are very logical, and although i myself am not always so great with people (thanks anxiety) i think that wont be the case with them. plus theyre p educated and tend to be on the organized side.

also thanks everyone for the welcomes!!!
my tumblr
:usa:
:spain: (learning)

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2780 on: June 30, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »
oooo, I love your SSSSona Viisikielinenkantele!!! That song is awesome, I can see how lyrics today would loose a lot of context in SSSS!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2781 on: June 30, 2015, 05:56:04 PM »
A musician ! This is great ! :D I already love your character !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #2782 on: June 30, 2015, 06:07:13 PM »
oooo, I love your SSSSona Viisikielinenkantele!!! That song is awesome, I can see how lyrics today would loose a lot of context in SSSS!

I like your SSSSona too! They both share the insatiable curiosity, I think they would have much to discuss...  :) Oh, yes, this song has haunted me ... I heard it playing in my head the whole day yesterday, so it did earn the right to be included. I think a lot of things would be nearly incomprehensible for inhabitants of the Known World...
A musician ! This is great ! :D I already love your character !

Oh, thank you! I like her too  ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 06:10:47 PM by Viisikielinenkantele »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2783 on: June 30, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
I thought you could use a musician for the obligatory parties...

Name: Aamu Suonen
Origin: Finland, Ontojärvi
Immunity: yes
Languages: Finnish, Swedish, English, a little bit of Icelandic, Norwegian, Italian, German

Aamu began to sing before she could speak and as soon as she could ask questions, pestered the old ones in her settlement about songs, instruments and music in general. ...

Her language skills come from the need to understand the lyrics. This led to a very wonky vocabulary (just guess what italian words you learn solely listening to italian opera)

When you search for her, you can find her probably sitting somewhere with an instrument playing to herself and trying to fit her lyrics to an old-world-melody. ... In her free time (which she has a lot at daytime, because she mostly plays in the evenings, heh...) she is writing on and off a comparative history of music. But it probably never will be finished, since she is never stopping her research.

This little scene came to my mind (I don't know if anyone remembers this awful song, but I found the thought funny that she would sit there and rack her brain what the text means) :

Hee hee, I *love* the Barbie Girl song!  I actually got a leadership citation at one job for something (marginally) involving it. 

Anyway, I imagine if your ssssona ever made it to Mora, Aamu and Sara's paths would cross, given our common interests in the Old World and old-time music, languages, and technology.  (Sara even knows what a Barbie is.)  Maybe she could be a beta reader for Aamu's manuscript? 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2784 on: June 30, 2015, 06:47:26 PM »
Most of the others are....just crazy......especially the guy with the shovel.

I don't think OrigamiOwl is that crazy. A bit kooky maybe, but not crazy.

Maybe we could assign Fimbulvarg as the leader of Group 3, just to see what would happen.
I think you want to have team 3 follow team 2 into the operation zone, not the other way around - if you catch my drift.

Also, oh GOD NOT FIMBULVARG. Run.

What, insubordination!? You think you can outrun the fists of discipline?

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2785 on: June 30, 2015, 06:56:26 PM »
I like your SSSSona too! They both share the insatiable curiosity, I think they would have much to discuss...  :) Oh, yes, this song has haunted me ... I heard it playing in my head the whole day yesterday, so it did earn the right to be included. I think a lot of things would be nearly incomprehensible for inhabitants of the Known World...

Thank you! Yes- let us be curious together!!!

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2786 on: June 30, 2015, 07:13:32 PM »
SO MUCH ART TO DROP OFF!!! Sorry, what a bald-faced lie I love sharing art in this thread, this will be a long post...

As mentioned earlier I was feeling inspired by The Secret of the Kells and Song of the Sea, so I got to drawing and offered up some arts for those interested...

Anna dressed in the Icelandic Mage clothing seen here, with her cat TimTim (The metallic watercolors I added to the floating Galdrastafur don't express themselves well in the photo):

A young Mimmi "boulder-hopping" in a stream:

For Piney,
Spoiler: plain lines and in color... • show

For Daéa Reina

For Haiz, just because I love the post in which you said you wouldn't ask...  ;)

Spoiler: show
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:16:44 PM by Alethryia »

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #2787 on: June 30, 2015, 07:15:58 PM »
Viisikielinenkantele that's really great. And it's nice to see other Finnish ssssonas that have traveled. Ilmari would probably also be interested if she ever came to Mara (and he had a night off work to do something). She might even get him to talk first. :P

IRL i've always loved music of basically all kinds. I'm guessing you're a music person too.
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #2788 on: June 30, 2015, 07:32:58 PM »
Nice insert Viisikielinenkantele! Welcome to the expedition! :)

For Daéa Reina

!!!!!!!!
This is SO cute!! I love it! Thank you so much! *-*
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2789 on: June 30, 2015, 07:36:15 PM »
For Piney,

For Daéa Reina

For Haiz, just because I love the post in which you said you wouldn't ask...  ;)

Spoiler: show

I squealed about mine in PMs, but I may as well squeal about how adorable and great all of these are :D

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13: