Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 842720 times)

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #2760 on: June 30, 2015, 01:16:28 PM »
Eh. Could be worse. Here's the paperwork. *dumps mountain*
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2761 on: June 30, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »
Read most of the self-inserts. Ruth is literally the closest thing to a completely stable personality I've found. Most of the others are....just crazy......especially the guy with the shovel.
Us ? Not enough stable ? Crazy ? Us ?

I, for one, volunteer to hog all the best loot lead, and prevent me us from dying horribly, and to bring back all the booze, guns and gas valuable books and artifacts for the betterment of Norway mankind.
Look, Ragnarok, a volunteer ! ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2762 on: June 30, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »
I think the paperwork mountain killed him.....wait nope he's still breathing.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2763 on: June 30, 2015, 01:22:28 PM »
Okay sorry for doubleposting, but I have noticed a strange phenomenon that I find actually kind of hilarious? For some reason everybody is putting Karri/me in charge of me and the expeditions with Karri as the leader or something, but guys have you even seen Karri

Like, at all

I drew up some 5 minute comics to illustrate what they would be like as leader

Pff, I forgot to comment on these, the first one really cracked me up.
I'd imagine there's no one leader for the whole troop, but one for each group. Like group 1's would be the most experienced scout, group 2's would be one of the troll hunters, group 3 I don't know (but I guess whoever's the most competent), group 4's would be the most experienced medic, and group 5 wouldn't have a leader because they're on the home front and wouldn't need one. Though I can imagine Clara seeing Karri as leader of the cleansers or just as someone who she can ask dumb questions to.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #2764 on: June 30, 2015, 01:25:24 PM »
Pff, I forgot to comment on these, the first one really cracked me up.
I'd imagine there's no one leader for the whole troop, but one for each group. Like group 1's would be the most experienced scout, group 2's would be one of the troll hunters, group 3 I don't know (but I guess whoever's the most competent), group 4's would be the most experienced medic, and group 5 wouldn't have a leader because they're on the home front and wouldn't need one. Though I can imagine Clara seeing Karri as leader of the cleansers or just as someone who she can ask dumb questions to.

Maybe we could assign Fimbulvarg as the leader of Group 3, just to see what would happen.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2765 on: June 30, 2015, 01:26:54 PM »
My headcanon for this expedition is that the Icelandic government is funding this and some poor bastard in the military ended up having to deal with all the neurotic stuff our group of basket cases does.
Including Karri burning down the camp.
And the teleporting shadow demon/failed super-soldier experiment that ends up tagging along.
And the outright ridiculous troll attacks.

Also, oh GOD NOT FIMBULVARG. Run.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #2766 on: June 30, 2015, 01:27:26 PM »
Maybe we could assign Fimbulvarg as the leader of Group 3, just to see what would happen.
*Coughs* Danger *Coughs*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2767 on: June 30, 2015, 01:32:02 PM »

Maybe Group 2 assigns Fimbulvarg as the leader of Group 3 because we want our group to stay out of danger ::)

...I can actually see Fim as the leader of Group 2 though.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #2768 on: June 30, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
Maybe Group 2 assigns Fimbulvarg as the leader of Group 3 because we want our group to stay out of danger ::)

...I can actually see Fim as the leader of Group 2 though.

Whoops, my mistake! I switched numbers: Fimbulvarg as the leader of Group 2, that's what I wanted to say. Yes, I want chaos. On the bright side, you would never run short of weapons! :)

I think Strelok could be the leader of Group 4?
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2769 on: June 30, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
Hanna is scout leader on account of being least insane scout in team. Also, Fimbulvarg is Group 2 leader now....mostly because he said so, and nothing has managed to kill him yet.

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #2770 on: June 30, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »
Ahaha, Karri would probably make a good leader of the cleansers, because they actually are a good cleanser, just... impulsive and not the best when in charge of more than 10 people. That said however I have so many ideas for these comics and Daéa they will keep coming believe me

EDIT: actually, I know m-ew irl and they are a REALLY GOOD leader. (great with people and very logical) Would you guys be ok with me placing them as group 3 group leader?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:04:22 PM by Curry »
YEET

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #2771 on: June 30, 2015, 02:59:10 PM »
Ehh, not really part of the discussion, but Alexis wouldn't serve that much of a purpose other than annoying every mage in the vicinity, doing crazy magic experiments with Julian and Karri, doing crazy magic experiments by herself, and learning that half the stuff she does with her magic is downright impossible and also learning that she's somehow a Finnish mage. Somehow.

Also the fact that she's a tagalong nobody wanted there. This'll be great for interactions.

And she'd look up to the cleansers like woah.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Alethryia

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2772 on: June 30, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
Hahaha, this thread is awesome! Real life, I'm definitely a leader - sooooo many years helping to organize events, leading group projects, heading committees, etc. My self insert, however has not had the same opportunities to develop as a leader that I've had. So Saying I present to you Johanna Strand, finished bio!

Name: Johanna (Anna) Strand
Sexuality: Heterosexual
Nationality: Norwegian
City of Birth: Dalsnes
Languages:
Fluent: Norwegian, Icelandic
Proficient: Swedish, Danish
Limited: Finnish
Immunity: Yes
History:

Spoiler: Full History • show
With her father a skald without immunity and her mother a hunter with immunity, Anna’s parents opted to take advantage of The Dagrenning Program to guarantee that their child would have immunity, leaving the selection of the donor to the gods. Johanna grew up in Dalsnes knowing that she would some day join the military. Her father insisted that she receive a full-rounded education, leading to her thirst for knowledge and love for languages. She began training under her mother’s tutelage at an early age and entered the military’s hunter training program at 13. Through this early regiment of training she gained discipline and a practical nature, learning early on that taking her role seriously and approaching a hunt with a cautious demeanor could save lives.
   At 16 it was discovered that she had talents as a mage and the military sent her to the Academy of Seđur for further training. Anna chose the path of defensive magic, realizing from the hunt’s she’d been on that she wanted to put her talents towards protecting her teammates. She relished this unexpected opportunity to further her education and marveled at the extent of the Old World knowledge still possessed by Iceland. She returned to Dalsnes after six years of training to resume her work as a hunter, refreshing her hunting skills over the past two years - during which she rescued a young stray cat that she has been proudly (and frustratingly) training. At the age of 24 she is now eager to set out on an expedition to uncover more of the Silent World and help recover the knowledge of the Old World.

-Product of The Dagrenning Program, her father is a skald and her mother a hunter.
-Joined the military at age 13 to train as a hunter.
-Mage talent discovered at 16 and was transferred to Reykjavik for defensive training.
-Transferred back to Dalsnes at 22 and continued hunting.
-Rescued her cat Tim-tim when she was 23, has been training him since.

Personality:

Spoiler: Full Personality • show
Insatiably Curious: SHE NEEDS TO KNOW! Anna wants to know anything about everything and can be nosey at times, don’t let her catch just part of a conversation because if it sounds the least bit interesting she will be tempted to eavesdrop. She pestered her mom for information about her biological father- using the argument that she needed to know in case she ever met a guy who was also a product of the Dagrenning Program and could be her half-brother, not good for her psyche or the genetics of prospective grandchildren for her mom- until her mother finally relented and shared that he is a Swede by the name of Karl Lindberg (Mimmi’s uncle). She loves her small family, but is enchanted with the idea of having unknown relatives that are just waiting to be discovered! (Needless to say, she will freak when she finds out Mimmi is her biological cousin and try to tempt her into hanging out with antiques she picks up from hunting.)

Infatuated with the Old World: Her father’s work as a skald and her tenure in Iceland has left Anna with a desire to learn all she can from their ancestors and bring forward more knowledge from the Silent World - hence her desire to be part of an expedition that has access to Old World artifacts.

Rational Thinker, Practical Worker: She takes her work very seriously and strives to protect her teammates to the best of her abilities. She dreads the loss of life and therefore can seem overbearing in her efforts to preserve it. She will nag, berate, and put her foot down until things are done properly and safely. (This expedition may kill her just from antics of the crew!) Her practical nature comes through in her necessity to keep her long hair back with some kind of braid and her love for comfortable clothing - particularly sweaters.

Frustratingly Stubborn & Outspoken: She is 100% ready and willing to speak her mind and good luck changing it after she’s come to a decision!

Surprisingly Friendly & Outgoing: Anna certainly isn’t shy and is happy to meet new people with her affable nature. When not on the job, she has a grand time relaxing with friends and enjoying a good laugh.

Openly Creative, Secretly Sensitive: On her off-time Anna enjoys reading, writing, carving, painting, and drawing - seeing the latter three as methods for refining her abilities to create Galdrastafur. She’ll often keep a sketchbook and an assortment of pencils, pens, brushes, and paints in her side bag for emergencies or time off in the field - she will never be found without her knife at her side, she considers it her most invaluable piece of equipment! Anna is surprisingly sensitive for her military upbringing, often suppressing emotions during a mission, only to be found shaking from the stress of a situation afterwards. Her tender nature is most often revealed in her interactions with her cat and close friends, along with her willingness to use her very last breath in defense of her team.

-Insatiably Curious
-Infatuated with the Old World
-Rational Thinker, Practical Worker
-Frustratingly Stubborn & Outspoken
-Surprisingly Friendly & Outgoing
-Openly Creative, Secretly Sensitive
Born into :canada:
Raised with :usa:
Struggled and lost with :spain:

I survived! :chap8:

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2773 on: June 30, 2015, 03:29:59 PM »
That might work....

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #2774 on: June 30, 2015, 04:05:40 PM »
Curry, I agree that maaybe someone else should head the expedition, if Karri puts the whole thing on fire to get away from the paperwork. But the comics are great! Alethryia, those WIPs are beautiful! RTR: Marja is delightfully in character, and the coloring is really pretty!

Unlos And again - I like the colors!

Thank you!

Humm, let's see...
Unlos: I really like how you drew her hair, so pretty! :)
Thank you! Hair has been super hard for me to color, since I've mostly drawn hair with pencil. Switching to digital and colored is certainly different, so I'm experimenting a bit. This way is closer to the pencil-teqnique than anything else I've done so far.

I come bearing two more sketches:

I'm pretty pleased with Julian (I tried to put him on Dalahästen), not so much with Sigrid Marie. I tried to angle her ssssona a bit but the hip/torso angle feels wonky. Oh well, moving right along...