Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 835085 times)

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #1890 on: June 05, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »

also hey, anyone else up for art tradin' with me? It'll be a little slow from my side, but it seems like I'm capable of drawing trades this summer after all! I currently have a Marja in the works, but if anyone wants to add to my pile of to-draws, make a noise in my direction~

I volunteer as tribute!

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #1891 on: June 05, 2015, 06:02:49 PM »
All forms of brilliance are happening in this thread! Please accept another blanket praise from me, I've lost count in the awesomeness (but the Icelandic additions have been duly noted for... future purposes).

Woop dreamland Lauftroll! That took a while and some sweating to paint... it's actually just a snek, but now with fancy green goo!

Plus my magesona because hey I want in on the forum fads. Strictly speaking this is Laufey year 0, human times: I figured that if the mages have a fairly free range of materials at their use clothes-wise, mine would look like a glorified, hick-ish version of myself when I walk in the forest. Raincoat, sweater, puukko, basket - check. The adder staff is just there for flair. Besides who am I kidding. I AM a hick.

Haiz: art exchanges would be relevant to my interests right now! Seems like I'll be having a bit more free time than I thought...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1892 on: June 05, 2015, 06:15:47 PM »
koalalou - My favourite part is definitely the magical animal companion ^_^ although the post and outfit are totally kawaii!

Ahhh Gwenno I'm glad you like it! I LOVE both your magical girl SSSSona and the reaction to blorptroll (still sitting here giggling quietly...)

Ahaha, yeah, as I was drawing it I was thinking "this is an incredibly stupid idea and nobody should ever do anything like this" which means 30% more in-character for an overenthusiastic troll huntress, I guess 8)
Heh, glad it got a few giggles ^_^ and boy I still can't get over how much I like the picture even after a few hours :P
"this is an incredibly stupid idea and nobody should ever do anything like this" should be my sona's definition of what's a good way to use up free time to be honest…

Haiz - I would be up for a proper trade, buuuut as of this moment it looks like you've got *counts* four people asking for trades and adding another on your plate would be something I wouldn't feel like inflicting on you today :P maybe when you get another batch of free time (you're just too good at drawing and everyone wants to trade with you!)

Laufey - Your watercolours are so pretty! How does one make a snake skeleton troll thing look pretty?!?! The magesona also looks pretty cool, but that's a tad less surprising :)
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #1893 on: June 05, 2015, 06:35:31 PM »
Uhm, so, gathering courage, would you...like to do an art trade Gwenno? o 3o
Been meaning to ask, been feeling kinda shy, but since I'd already offered myself up for another with Haiz I was feeling at bit braver : p

And thanks! I'd been keeping that pose unfinished, wondering what I could use it for--then the epiphany hit me xD

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #1894 on: June 05, 2015, 06:49:35 PM »
Uhm, so, gathering courage, would you...like to do an art trade Gwenno? o 3o
Been meaning to ask, been feeling kinda shy, but since I'd already offered myself up for another with Haiz I was feeling at bit braver : p

And thanks! I'd been keeping that pose unfinished, wondering what I could use it for--then the epiphany hit me xD

Oooooh yes I'd be very up for this (please don't be shy, your art is so tidy and lifelike and lovely)!!!! I'm nearly finished doing *the thing* (will post it tomorrow when I'm done - it will be quite impressive I promise!), which means more time for art trades, and your 'sona and kitty would be so fun to draw  ;D
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #1895 on: June 05, 2015, 07:07:05 PM »
I've never done an art trade, but after I finish my sona, I would be open to doing art trades also
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #1896 on: June 05, 2015, 07:19:02 PM »
I've been drawing my self-insert in my notebook margins for a while, but I finally made an actual full-outfit sketch!

Her name is Madeline Christensen. She's of both Swedish and Danish descent, but was born in Denmark, so she speaks Danish. She has studied Icelandic, but is better at translating it on paper than in conversation. She wanted to be a skald or translator, but decided to run away at 14 for an adventure and somehow ended up in the Silent World. She'll go back eventually, but for the time being she is exploring, collecting, and foraging. She lives in an old abandoned house- it's in such bad shape she's surprised it hasn't come down on her head, but she lives there because that makes it a terrible home for trolls. She has a sword and two daggers that she found in the Silent World, and a gun that she stole before she left, but uses the blades more often to save ammo. She wears black clothes in layers for warmth, camouflage, and because she thinks it looks cool. She doesn't wear her glasses when fighting trolls, beasts, or giants because she is paranoid that they'll break and she'll get glass in her eye.
Edit: I realized I didn't give her current age. She's 16.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:34:37 PM by Keeper »
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #1897 on: June 05, 2015, 07:26:28 PM »
Keeper: eyyy welcome to the squad!! nice outfit! (also haha I have the same fear concerning glasses and I don't even fight trolls)

Woop dreamland Lauftroll! That took a while and some sweating to paint... it's actually just a snek, but now with fancy green goo[/size]
YES GOOD VERY GOOD I APPROVE OF FEZZY DREMSNEK

ahahaha seems like lotsa people want to trade, great! I don't really do "batches of free time", I just....... draw when I can..... my biggest problem is more the fact that my deSK IS TOO SMALL and all my inks are back home in norway, but at least I've got my sketchbook and tablet! ART SHALL BE MADE

current art trade list (to check that I didn't overlook anyone):
mad robin
AuthorOfLight
KicknRun
Laufey
Gwenno(?)
Koalalou (again? yeah okay sure let's DO THIS)

not 100% certain that's the Order of Draws but we'll see! I might PM you for details on stuff later. right now it's time for me to bed, good night fellow mages, punchers and trolls

EDIT: oh and if anyone should need references for my magesona, I've got a heap of them in my magesona tag.............
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:43:30 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #1898 on: June 05, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »
Okay, so Curry keeps nagging me to create a 'sona, but um, I can't draw.
Halp?

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #1899 on: June 05, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »
Halp?
I can't draw either, but I pretend I can and I like projects. PM me if you're interested.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1900 on: June 05, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »
oh my goodness
guys
too much awesome
Also, I have some dreamworld-sona sketches and an effort-draw (my first try at a background in years, woot!) to post as soon as I make another effort-draw to go with the first.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #1901 on: June 05, 2015, 08:27:38 PM »
Most useless mage in the academy.

"Is the volcano going to erupt?"
"I don't know, but that bird's gonna poop sometime in the near future."
*splat*
"Toldya."
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:34:24 PM by RandomTexanReader »
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

North

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • i am rage incarnate. your world shall burn.
« Reply #1902 on: June 05, 2015, 08:28:46 PM »
Hey guys! Mind if I butt in, even if I'm really late to the party?

Spoiler: show

Martine Aarberg

Nationality:..........Norwegian
Area of Birth:........Svolvær
Immunity:............Yes
Profession:...........Troll Hunter
Language:............Norwegian, Icelandic

- Mom is a medic and midwife, and teaches other medics. Father is a builder, with some sami blood. Her grandfather and uncle on her mother's side are both hunters, which is what inspired her to join the military. Oldest of four siblings; two girls, two boys.
- Is quite small (158cm) and not very heavy. Has problems handing big guns due to the recoil.
- Usually sticks to guns when fighting. Keeps two one-handed battle axes in case of close-range combat, in which she will gladly dual-wield them. Usually avoids close combat. Also has a lot of knives stored everywhere.
- Puts her hair up in a bun when it's time to work. When the bun is up, things are serious.
- Hoarder. Only keeps things that are necessary, but everything can probably be useful one day...
- Believes in the ancient gods.
- Androgynous. Often mistaken for a boy by children and elderly people.
- Loves her stuff. Will resent people who borrow her things without asking or shows little respect for her property in other way.
- Not too poorly educated, mostly because of her mother. Only knows bits of information here and there, however.
- Terrified of women giving birth. There's something about the screams.
- Patriotic. Pretends to dislike people from big settlements/cities (doesn't), from the south (doesn't) or Sweden (doesn't).
- Natural hair colour is dark brown (can be drawn black). The top is dyed, probably by mystical magical means provided by Haiz.
- Really stubborn and suffers from a mild inferiority complex due to her height, left-handedness and not very strong physique, so she makes up for it by being sarcastic and playing tough.
- Talks with her entire body. Lots of facial expressions and hand gestures.
- Likes to draw and read. (Reads anything she gets her hands on, really. Thanks, mom!) Also enjoys fishing, which always reminds her of her grandfather.
- That one friend who is always on Spider Duty, ready to remove all the gross insects. She's not very squeamish.

Will probably edit some of the info later. Just posting this before going to bed~ The drawings are some sketches I cleaned up or lined digitally before colouring. Haven't touched my tablet in a year or so, so this was a challenge. I usually stick to traditional stuff .v.
A lot of the info is taken from/inspired by myself, and the surname is in my family but I don't have it in my name. The beginning of Aarberg (Aa) is pronounced Å, for those who want to know.
Hope you guys like her (me?)! ;v; aaaa i just hope i don't seem really OP or something??
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:27:24 AM by North »
Fluent: :norway: :uk:
Newbie: :germany: :russia:
Pronouns: she/her

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1903 on: June 05, 2015, 08:56:38 PM »
[...]
- Hoarder. Only keeps things that are necessary, but everything can probably be useful one day...
[...]
height, left-handedness and not very strong physique
[...]
Hope you guys like her (me?)! ;v; aaaa i just hope i don't seem really OP or something??
Always glad to see a new face!
I relate to the hoarding thing so. much. My pocket litter ... :P
Hey hey, more tiny lefties!

No, you're not OP. I mean, everybody here has various awesome skills. She looks pretty cool.

Edit: Oh, and, uh, if anyone wants to do an art-trade, PM me.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:03:01 PM by Noodly Appendage »
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #1904 on: June 05, 2015, 08:59:06 PM »

Spoiler: show

Martine Aarberg

omg North BreezeLouise is at my house and she actually looked alarmed when I started making this half-gurgling scream rolling around on the couch
Then we both had this 'aha' moment where I looked at the half-body go Martine with her hair up and went 'Sokka?' then had to mentally smack myself for the nerd moment

but omg I love your style--I can't wait to see more from you!

I've been drawing my self-insert in my notebook margins for a while, but I finally made an actual full-outfit sketch!

Her name is Madeline Christensen. She's of both Swedish and Danish descent, but was born in Denmark, so she speaks Danish. She has studied Icelandic, but is better at translating it on paper than in conversation. She wanted to be a skald or translator, but decided to run away at 14 for an adventure and somehow ended up in the Silent World. She'll go back eventually, but for the time being she is exploring, collecting, and foraging. She lives in an old abandoned house- it's in such bad shape she's surprised it hasn't come down on her head, but she lives there because that makes it a terrible home for trolls. She has a sword and two daggers that she found in the Silent World, and a gun that she stole before she left, but uses the blades more often to save ammo. She wears black clothes in layers for warmth, camouflage, and because she thinks it looks cool. She doesn't wear her glasses when fighting trolls, beasts, or giants because she is paranoid that they'll break and she'll get glass in her eye.
Edit: I realized I didn't give her current age. She's 16.

This is super neat! Actually, her outfit makes me think vaguely 'French' for no apparent reason, but my brain is a strange place so we'll just move on...
still, I love the idea of someone somehow surviving on their own out in the Silent World. Maybe some of our self-inserts will bump into her one day, while we're all out exploring? ; )

Halp?
I can't draw either, but I pretend I can and I like projects. PM me if you're interested.

Me too! I mean, I have a couple art trades now, but I've also been trying to collaborate with a friend over her self-insert, and we've been making a lot of head-way (I'll post the newest doodle-sketch later) so I'm totally up for helping out :)

Boop-boop-ba-doop~