Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 837439 times)

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #1605 on: May 24, 2015, 07:57:26 PM »
Augh new here gonna self insert myself from a ten minute sketch i did (half asleep mind you). enjoy my brain fart
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ug9_UHH2fgqzDKSD2DIwNOsFKauHvlxKjqh1Uj0e8Z4/edit?usp=sharing
 oh yeah if it isn't obvious he's holding a book and a gun
This is really cool! I like your linework a lot and the minimal use of color! It's really pretty and organic :0
I'd love to add you to the SSSSona infodump but sadly I cannot access the picture itself to save it or copy it over. If you're okay with me using that one/adding you to the doc, just send me or KauniitaUnia a PM with a link to the picture alone :3 (possibly posted to sites like imgur, photobucket, or tumblr)
YEET

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1606 on: May 24, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
There's some really nice dynamic in this :D
Nice! I really like watercolors! At first I thought she was fighting the troll with a flower...
Thanks you both ^_^ I think I'm getting a bit better at poses and colouring with all this practice so I'm glad other people think so too!

First good thing in an awful sunday THANK YOU Gwenno ! <3 *Delighted* I know I told you before but it's an happiness for me to see my character(s) by someone else's eyes :D
I was precisely procrastinating wondering yesterday evening how to start something for you and began to take notes :) It might, hum, be the beginning of something bigger. I'll need a little more time to figure out what and by which sense I can catch it but I don't forget.

Well that makes me very glad that I posted it this afternoon rather than around now as I would have done had I been sensible with managing time and possessed any self control :P I hope your Sunday got better from there!
As for my vision of her, so many things changed over the course of drawing and painting and as I'd re-read the story I'd get little tweaks in expression and pose, but I'm happy with how it turned out because it feels like part of her story to me ^_^ I didn't really put much emphasis on the necklace or flower crown in the end except for that they're there (and you can sorta see the right shape if you zoom in), but the flowers were supposed to be these types (https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluetiger/4845483163/ and http://www.focusonnature.com/Icelan145.jpg ) and the colour of the scarf and the magic were purposefully made to match it :D

Anyway, on to other stuff I was planning on posting about:  ;D
Trolls - This is a strange new development in the thread, but I like it a lot! Any chance we could have a page dedicated to the trolls on the info dump so that they don't get lost in the thread, they're well developed enough now that I think it should be okay, right?

Haiz - That's a pretty Piney there ^_^ and congratulations on getting the hair right, it seems to be quite the feat apparently! I like how mildly worried she seems about the whole "there seems to be a lot of fire about here" thing :P

Latent Leprechaun - I agree with Daéa Reina, dat hair!. The lighting is also very well done, but I kinda got sidetracked by the hair for the first few inspections, oops!

Curry - Handy uniform guide is handy! Not just for Karri's design, but also for cleanser stuff in general methinks :) I'm very happy this has appeared before I had to draw your sona because it's so detailed i'll know exactly what I'm supposed to do!

Kookeking - I enjoyed your brain fart very much! (eugh, that sounds weird, but same as you I'm kinda half asleep because it's 1am here). To my eyes it's very obvious that there are a book and gun and the glasses and baggy trousers add a nice splash of character to your sona. Maybe when you have time you can say more about then ^_^
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #1607 on: May 25, 2015, 02:24:12 AM »
Is it OK to dream of being  young again? Not having thin discs in your spine that make you hurt and you leg go numb if you run a quarter mile?

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1608 on: May 25, 2015, 04:27:22 AM »
As for my vision of her, so many things changed over the course of drawing and painting and as I'd re-read the story I'd get little tweaks in expression and pose, but I'm happy with how it turned out because it feels like part of her story to me ^_^
It's a part of her story, and that's why discovering it was a little magical :D Thank again !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #1609 on: May 25, 2015, 12:59:33 PM »
Augh new here gonna self insert myself from a ten minute sketch i did (half asleep mind you). enjoy my brain fart
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ug9_UHH2fgqzDKSD2DIwNOsFKauHvlxKjqh1Uj0e8Z4/edit?usp=sharing
 oh yeah if it isn't obvious he's holding a book and a gun

Ohh, nice!! I really liked his style! :D

And Haiz, I think I found the robotic version of the BlorpTroll.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #1610 on: May 25, 2015, 04:15:52 PM »
This is really cool! I like your linework a lot and the minimal use of color! It's really pretty and organic :0
I'd love to add you to the SSSSona infodump but sadly I cannot access the picture itself to save it or copy it over. If you're okay with me using that one/adding you to the doc, just send me or KauniitaUnia a PM with a link to the picture alone :3 (possibly posted to sites like imgur, photobucket, or tumblr)

Yup, pretty much what Curry has just said! ;) This is a really original looking character - I love your art style! If you would like us to give you a post on the Infodump, feel free to send one of us a link to the original image and we can sort it out. It's always lovely to have new OCs join~
Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

Krehlmar

« Reply #1611 on: May 25, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
Sadly I have no art-program on this computer anymore (used to have adobe flash and photo-shop but not anymore)

So I googled "sketch online" and somehow happaned upon the most infuriating online-sketch site I've ever had the misshapen to come across...

So basically a lot of things went wrong, errored or simply disappeared. Sadly these things only came into being when I'd already sketched enough to either give up completely or muster through. I haven't drawn on comps for over a year, and only had a mouse. Oh well

This is around 10 min sketch of a concept:

"The 'Dollavárri'-Company is a elite cleansing unit consisting of descendants of the Sami people of northern sweden. Being housed in Luleå military base, these fierce warrior are nearly nothing like their nomadic ancestors. When the Rash came to the northern parts of Sweden, it quickly swept away all resistance when literal swarms of infected reindeer descended upon the hapless Sami- and Swedish inhabitants. In a last ditch effort to stem the tide, Luleå airbase (F21) launched a series of carpet-firebombings throughout the dense northern forests.

They succeeded, for a time, enough time for a few Sami tribes to get to the coast and take refuge in the luleå archipelago together with their swedish compatriots. There they would stay until contact was made with the rest of Swedens scarce survivors.

The remaining Sami had been assimilated into the Swedes in the refuge, as they were highly outnumbered in terms of population. However, their habits and clothing had also been adopted by a few of the surviving groups.

When it became their time to supply troops to the Swedish cleansing program, those groups who had had the greatest number of Sami descendants were the most eager to conscript. They had never forgotten the debt they felt they owed to the Swedes who had saved them, grandfathers- and grandmothers would tell fierce stories at the camp-fires: How the "Great roaring metal-birds, tamed and mounted by swedes, would come crashing through the sky, blanketing the troll- and beast hordes in fire and heat."

This legacy led to a huge appreciation for fire and its properties. Some would even go so far as to call it a mania or lunacy, as the Dollavárri made themselves famous for their wild behavior.  Indeed, few military units have as many decorations as the Dollavárri... But then again few units also have as many injuries.

Still, any competent commander knows when and where to apply these unbreakable pyromaniacs: Because if there is a job that involves immense danger, as well as the possibility to burn things up; The Dollavárri are ALWAYS eager."

Basically the outfit, as well as bearing cultural pride, also serves as a multi-layered fire-repellent outfit. Indeed the most heavily armored dollavárri integrate chainmail into the layers as they often take point when it comes to cleansing operations.

They also wear masks, not so much to protect themselves from the disease but to make breathing possible when they fire up their high-pressure flamethrower which are effective at ranges up to 45m.

The beret is earned after a soldiers first successful cleanse-operation, which must at least include combat action and/or the slaying of (a) troll(s). It is the only part of the outfit togheter with the insignia that wears the old sami-color of green. The insignia is the old Sami flag, combined with the swedish one (and I'd made the yellow fade better together if, as I said, not for the arse site).

I'll make the one who depicts "me" later. I did my real-life conscription in Luleå Airbase, F21, as "Counter-Special-Operation-Forces"... Long name I know but it's the direct translation of "Flygbassäk". I was part of the K9 unit. My lore would basically be that the "me" of today would've been called up to F21 when the crisis began in earnest, and I'd flee to the archipelago with the surviving forces. My descendants would be part of the Dollavárri, whilst also bearing a slightly darker complexion and strong dark hair. Although not all would have brown eyes, since my fathers genes include berber blood (and they sometimes have blue eyes). So the "me" of year 90 would have my hair, but sami-blue eyes and somewhat dark complexion. It wouldn't be that noticeable but it'd stand out if he was standing next to those who would not share his genes. Being a bit of a pyromaniac myself he'd be extremely fierce, (somewhat) crazy, very loyal to his friends and unforgiving to his enemies. He'd be stubborn but not foolish, and quite the pragmatic even when forced to work with people he'd perceive as idiots. "Do what you can, with what you have, if you get nothing from it, at least you get a clean conscience" would be his old family motto. However his stubbornness and principal attitude would hinder him from ever gaining a commanding-rank; As he would blatantly show resent to any "superior" officer he'd deem as incompetent, cruel, or disloyal.

I would've added pyrotechnic grenades and other stuff but sadly the site I was using was arse so I was just content to leave it as it was before it crashed or something.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:52:20 PM by Krehlmar »
My self-concept and insertion (in progress): https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=359.msg37156#msg37156

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #1612 on: May 25, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
I like the idea of a sami cleansing unit being total badass. I'm just imagining several robed characters calmly and intently spitting hellfire on whatever stands taller than two feet, besides their own squad, with the occasional joik being whispered as the flames crackles and purges anything for the vile taint of trolls. Mmm.

Krehlmar

« Reply #1613 on: May 25, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »
I like the idea of a sami cleansing unit being total badass. I'm just imagining several robed characters calmly and intently spitting hellfire on whatever stands taller than two feet, besides their own squad, with the occasional joik being whispered as the flames crackles and purges anything for the vile taint of trolls. Mmm.

Of course!

Their robes would flutter in the wind and the exhaust-shock-wave, with their masks giving of their fierce stare as flesh and trolls burn before them.

Whenever anyone of the unit would die, his of her funeral would be that of burning. The company would then sing a sad joik in memory of the fallen, but also one of pride. As to be part of their old legacy: "Fire saved us, fire consumes us, so that we can be part of that burning flame". It is their somewhat spiritual belief that when the dead become part of the fire, they carry that dead into combat with them. And when they spew fire, they do it with the fury of all their ancestors.

"Dollavárri never die, they only go to hell to regroup." - Mora proverb.
My self-concept and insertion (in progress): https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=359.msg37156#msg37156

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1614 on: May 25, 2015, 07:07:59 PM »
It is their somewhat spiritual belief that when the dead become part of the fire, they carry that dead into combat with them. And when they spew fire, they do it with the fury of all their ancestors.

"Dollavárri never die, they only go to hell to regroup." - Mora proverb.
Very interesting :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #1615 on: May 25, 2015, 07:40:38 PM »
Much as I would love to do this..
I can't draw. At all.
Here, this helps to illustrate (ayyy, puns) why I should never be an artist: http://snag.gy/fnAyb.jpg
(Okay, so maybe I drew that on a laptop touchpad in about 3 seconds, in Paint, but still. My hand-drawn pictures are worse.)

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1616 on: May 25, 2015, 07:42:44 PM »
Much as I would love to do this..
I can't draw. At all.
Here, this helps to illustrate (ayyy, puns) why I should never be an artist: http://snag.gy/fnAyb.jpg
(Okay, so maybe I drew that on a laptop touchpad in about 3 seconds, in Paint, but still. My hand-drawn pictures are worse.)

Self-deprecation doesn't get you very far skillwise, besides, you should give it a good ol' try and show us your best! And always practice.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #1617 on: May 25, 2015, 07:44:13 PM »
Self-deprecation doesn't get you very far skillwise, besides, you should give it a good ol' try and show us your best! And always practice.
Did....
Did you see the image?

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1618 on: May 25, 2015, 07:46:08 PM »
Did....
Did you see the image?

I doubt most people would be able to do better with a touchpad and under a 3 second limit!

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #1619 on: May 25, 2015, 07:50:15 PM »
I doubt most people would be able to do better with a touchpad and under a 3 second limit!
Your relentless optimism almost convinced me.
But, you know, thanks for at least showing some.
(Also, don't take me too seriously, most of what I say is self-deprecating in some way and only some is serious. :3)