Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 835039 times)

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
Re: Self-Inserts
« Reply #285 on: March 31, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »
I believe we are currently in dire need of a Danish mechanic, if we are looking to fill niches.

Night scouts are relatively scarce as well, though I am thinking of remaking my self-insert with that in mind - there is an appeal to the wilderness. Even if it is full of scary monsters. It's something I am at least vaguely familiar with. Plus the more time I spend on this forum the deeper my interest in Finland grows.

Plus now that I have read Lauffy's small essay on staves I don't think I would ever have the patience for that! Better just straight up talk to the spirit.

Well Strelok is already a night scout/overwatch... I should add on mechanically inclined to the list as well.

((I know almost nothing about guns, but I heard that this one was once very popular amongst snipers in the Finnish army. Finnish marksman Simo Häyhä was famed for killing over 500 Soviet soldiers with this gun during the Winter War of WWII!))

Correct, additionally Finnish captures during the winter war were usually kept in better condition than the average soviet grunt's rifle. The mosin is one of the few firearms I would reasonably expect to work (after some severe TLC) after digging it up fifty to a hundred years later.

Updated profile for anyone interested:

Current image

Strelokov
Nationality: ...……..Danish (assumed)
Area of birth: ……..Unknown
Immunity: ……......Yes (assumed)
Profession: …….....Military: Nigh Scout/Overwatch
Languages: :denmark:, :finland: (mangled), :ukraine: (mangled), :usa:

History: Encountered during Operation [REDACTED] at [REDACTED] near the shattered wreckage of a TU-95 bomber; due to his skills at survival he was conscripted into the operation as a night scout rather than wasting resources to get him out of the area.

Currently on leave from Project [Redacted].

Skill group: Survival, tracking, hunting and mechanical repair/re-engineering.

Additional notes:

-someone taught him runic magic, but they're not very effective beyond the one rune that explodes when something touches it, and the set that he engraved into the silencer and action of his rifle.
-keeps quiet mostly
-sixth sense for finding hidden ammunition caches in the silent world

Addendum 1:
Do not allow this individual to work on vehicles without authorization and supervision. I don't care how useful the CT-9 is with a cabin controlled pneumatic cannon with dash hud linked video sight on it is, that was still an unauthorized change of design and the addition sacrificed the radio mast, and took five days to undo.

Addendum 2:
And it doesn't matter that the cannon turned a giant into a kebab. We still had to kill the damned thing and it woke up the grosslings that were in the building it was pinned to.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:08:12 PM by Solokov »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #286 on: March 31, 2015, 08:21:55 PM »
*ahem* In case anyone wants a better idea of how I look (since I can't draw my self-insert)...

Here I am leaning over a park bench, at probably about the same angle you might see me leaning over my desk to talk to people.  You can't see in this photo, but I have lots of hair.  I generally put it up in a clip or pins at work.  So my daytime look is more Ms. Frizzle from "The Magic Schoolbus" series: 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #287 on: March 31, 2015, 09:16:09 PM »
Strelokov

I don't mean to seem mean (eheh) or overly too nagging, but did you put the first "o" in the sur-/nickname on purpose? Because my inner grammar nazi has just started to grumble asking for explanation (although I suppose this variant of spelling may also be used somewhere).
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #288 on: March 31, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
Okay, with the addition of Frenci's adorable SSSSona, the powerpoint is (to the best of my knowledge) completed and current until somebody changes their information or makes another OC! If I left someone or something out please PM me and I will rectify the problem immediately.
^look what information organization does to me, I start to use foncy words like rectify. somebody stop me now
Here's the link again just in case somebody missed it/is too lazy to look for it again!
YEET

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2015, 10:36:43 PM »
I don't mean to seem mean (eheh) or overly too nagging, but did you put the first "o" in the sur-/nickname on purpose? Because my inner grammar nazi has just started to grumble asking for explanation (although I suppose this variant of spelling may also be used somewhere).

It's entirely to drive people up the wall and across the ceiling.

Additionally I don't want to be mistaken for the Russian Strelkov who's been raising cain in Ukraine.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:44:42 AM by Solokov »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

SolarPoweredGirl

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • A normal kid who isn't that normal
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2015, 11:44:20 PM »
It's close to midnight, and as I sit here in bed, slowly munching sweettarts, I begin to ponder life's questions such as: Why are we here on earth? What is our purpose? and, Why in the world would I start my drawing so giant I can only fit my face?
I have a sudden realization as to WHY I did what I did. Simply put...DON'T TRY TO DO ART CLOSE TO MIDNIGHT.
Anyway, here's myself as a SSSS character, wearing a Lalli/Hannu hat. Please enjoy my sloppy ear and shading job the picture!

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2015, 12:23:44 AM »
It's entirely to drive people up the wall and across the ceiling.
Congratulations, you've succeeded.

Additionally I don't want to be mistaken for the Russian Stelkov who's been raising cain in Ukraine.
Some sources spell his alias the same way, mistakingly or not. But you know better, anyway. I'm closing up now.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2015, 01:11:37 AM »
(I hope nobody ever feels discouraged from posting your OC because you ALL deserve to be here!!! (and if you can't draw describe your SSSS-sona anyway, someone might draw it?))

I actually only started practicing drawing like three days ago, so I'm still at the stage where bodies are confounding me. Also, image hosting seems like too much work.

Anyway...

[Insert brilliant drawing of a Filipino male with short black curly hair wearing a Catholic priest's robe. And glasses. Please just look up reference pictures for Filipinos and priests so I don't spam this with links or anything. Sorry.]

Name........................Karl Manúelsson/ Carlo Rodel "Kaloy" Marapao de los Santos
Age............................18
Nationality................Icelandic
Area of birth.............Reykjavík
Gender......................Male
Immunity...................No
Profession................Mage: Priest
Languages................Icelandic, Filipino, English (words only)

Carlo is part of a minority with 329 people in total. Along with his fellow Filipinos, Carlo has tried to preserve his own culture. Their greatest feat is creating the last ever Jollibee restaurant in the world (sure, it might be a school, as well, but hey. It's Jollibee). Carlo's ancestors can be traced all the way back to Manila. Specifically, somewhere in Makati City. As an Icelandic mage, he goes to to the Academy of Seiðu. However, as a Filipino Icelandic mage, Carlo is expected to be a priest for one of the three churches around Reykjavík (there are only three priests, including him) every Sunday, so right now, he is very confused about his beliefs. He can speak Filipino because of Filipino class held every Sunday after church.

Also, he ain't going on no trip to no unknown, no sirree.

Carlo isn't actually my name, but my name is not an approved Icelandic name, so I used another one instead. Those aren't my last names, either. Self-insert with fake name, yay!
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

BarbaryLion22

« Reply #293 on: April 01, 2015, 01:53:46 AM »
Carlo isn't actually my name, but my name is not an approved Icelandic name, so I used another one instead. Those aren't my last names, either. Self-insert with fake name, yay!

Hi five for fake names! *raises hand* My first name's Hindi and my last name's Native American...So...to name websites we go! (Actually not we. It was only me. I know nothing about the actions of others.) *still raising hand*
fluent :usa:
Decent :japan:
some :spain: hawaiian
barely at all :italy: :germany: :france:
Have Survived :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2015, 01:59:34 AM »
Hi five for fake names! *raises hand* My first name's Hindi and my last name's Native American...So...to name websites we go! (Actually not we. It was only me. I know nothing about the actions of others.) *still raising hand*
My names are Britishish (?) and Dutch/Eastern European, respectively. I just like the name Sonja. ^_^
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #295 on: April 01, 2015, 02:02:03 AM »
Another high-five for fake names!  My first name absolutely wouldn't translate into a Known World context (or most contexts, frankly...) so I picked my aunt's first name.  My last name isn't a great fit for a Swede, either.

And a high-five for a Pinoy character!  My brother (who works for the U.S. State Dept.) and his family lived in Makati for several years and really liked it.  I love the thought of a Jollibee becoming a precious heritage site.   :) 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Almond-Goddess

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2015, 05:13:02 AM »
So, hey guys! I noticed that there was a lot of SSSS OCs circulating the Tumblr tag, so I decided to make one for myself!

Name: [ummm I haven't thought of one yet]
Immunity: Yes
Nationality: Icelandic
Area of Birth: Reykjavik
Profession: Falconer
Languages: Mandarin & Icelandic

Bio Points
- Bound by her severe allergy and strong obligation to family, she spend much of her life cooped in the countryside caring for the farmlands.
- Her siblings, much older than she, have long since scattered to the four winds. She only knows them from worn out photographs, but they sent back letters of their epic adventures. But then their correspondences trickled to a halt. She never really found out what became of them, and imagining the worst, her childlike wonder of the outside warped to fear and bitterness. From then on, she resolved not to abandon her family like they did.
- Her parents and the ancestors before them were insistent on maintaining their Asian heritage even through the calamity. Though she is adamant on acknowledging only the Icelandic gods and customs, she learned to speak and write her ancestor's tongue fluently. Her Icelandic was proficient in childhood when she attended the local school program, but gradually declined from disuse at her household.
- At adolescence, her father found an injured peregrine falcon, unable to migrate away for the winter. Seeing that she was lonely, he gave it to her as a companion. As she nursed it back to health, she discovered that her avian companion was just as clever (if not more) and just as immune to the Illness as felines. She took to training pet how to hunt down vermin Beasts and scout for larger trolls.
- Over the years, she started accompanying cleansers during the spring purges (with a mask to keep allergens at bay) and the occasional scouting trip at Silent outskirts, but invariably gravitates back home to care for her elderly parents.
- Inevitably, the morning comes when parents, tucked in to bed the night before, never woke up again. After performing the burial rites (Asian customs, just this once out of respect for them) she's left for the first time untethered by any obligations or responsibilities. Despite her fright and grief, she couldn't help but feel that childhood hunger for adventure rekindling just beneath the surface. She faintly remembers, just about a month ago, an stranger from the outside countries giving her a unique job proposal. With nothing left for her here, she just might take up the offer...

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:17:16 AM by Almond-Goddess »
Tiffany Hayashi | dA | Tumblr

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2015, 05:15:30 AM »
So, hey guys! I noticed that there was a lot of SSSS OCs circulating the Tumblr tag, so I decided to make one for myself!

Bio Points
- Bound by her severe allergy and strong obligation to family, she spend much of her life cooped in the countryside caring for the farmlands.
- Her siblings, much older than she, have long since scattered to the four winds. She only knows them from worn out photographs, but they sent back letters of their epic adventures. But then their correspondences trickled to a halt. She never really found out what became of them, and imagining the worst, her childlike wonder of the outside warped to fear and bitterness. From then on, she resolved not to abandon her family like they did.
- Her parents and the ancestors before them were insistent on maintaining their Asian heritage even through the calamity. Though she is adamant on acknowledging only the Icelandic gods and customs, she learned to speak and write her ancestor's tongue fluently. Her Icelandic was proficient in childhood when she attended the local school program, but gradually declined from disuse at her household.
- At adolescence, her father found an injured peregrine falcon, unable to migrate away for the winter. Seeing that she was lonely, he gave it to her as a companion. As she nursed it back to health, she discovered that her avian companion was just as clever (if not more) and just as immune to the Illness as felines. She took to training pet how to hunt down vermin Beasts and scout for larger trolls.
- Over the years, she started accompanying cleansers during the spring purges (with a mask to keep allergens at bay) and the occasional scouting trip at Silent outskirts, but invariably gravitates back home to care for her elderly parents.
- Inevitably, the morning comes when parents, tucked in to bed the night before, never woke up again. After performing the burial rites (Asian customs, just this once out of respect for them) she's left for the first time untethered by any obligations or responsibilities. Despite her fright and grief, she couldn't help but feel that childhood hunger for adventure rekindling just beneath the surface...

Oh my gosh, I love your design so much! :O

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2015, 05:17:34 AM »
Eeeeee falconry! I like the way you adapted the jacket.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #299 on: April 01, 2015, 05:47:22 AM »

Bio Points
- Inevitably, the morning comes when parents, tucked in to bed the night before, never woke up again. After performing the burial rites (Asian customs, just this once out of respect for them) she's left for the first time untethered by any obligations or responsibilities. Despite her fright and grief, she couldn't help but feel that childhood hunger for adventure rekindling just beneath the surface. She faintly remembers, just about a month ago, an stranger from the outside countries giving her a unique job proposal. With nothing left for her here, she just might take up the offer...
Gosh, your design is lovely! Falconry seems like a really cool job!

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3