Author Topic: Recruiting Skalds  (Read 8094 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Google Tips?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 03:44:50 PM »
Question for Google experts:

If I want to search for a specific term in the comments on a Disqus page -- say, "kantele" -- is there a way to do that easily? The "Find" function on my browser (Google Chrome) only works down to the point where the page says "Load more comments."  That can get tiresome after the 9th or 10th press of the button...

I ask because it *belatedly* occurs to me that there must be an easier way to retrieve Disqus discussions after they've been buried under literally hundreds of other posts.  I generally remember the key words of the discussion but don't want to have to manually scroll to find it.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
Re: Recruiting Skalds
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 07:58:22 PM »
Hmm, well I think disqus uses javascript to load the new comments, so it's probably possible to use a greasemonkey script (or tampermonkey, since you use chrome) to load all the comments at once. Then you could just use the browser's built in search function like you were doing before. Something like this, maybe?

It's certainly possible through the disqus API, but the coding in [insert language here] for such a thing would be beyond me, I fear.

ETA: After testing that script, it looks like it still only loads when you get to the bottom of the page--it just takes away the need to expand comment threads or click the button to load more. So helpful, but not quite as helpful as we'd like. It also needs some patching to work right. I can help you with that if you want to do it.

OTOH, I may be making this too complicated: you can also type "site:sssscomic.com kantele" in google and it'll bring up everything on the entire site containing the word kantele (one result). Google does index disqus comments--but I don't know which pages of the site (and their associated comments) google has indexed or how fast they index it. This also works rather better as a whole-site search rather than searching specific pages. Nevertheless it probably would speed things up considerably.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:37:05 PM by hushpiper »

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 02:35:06 PM »
For those wishing to apply as skalds/ already started on skalding there is some link ressources which might help you.
 (yes, I am aware that our dearest Sunflower does NOT need these links but our new skald appreciated them ;) ).

Note: these are for Simple Machines boards in general, there might be tiny differences in here.
Also please keep track of post made by Sunflower earlier in this topic.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 02:47:13 PM »
Considering as I don't contribute all that much in any of the threads due to having no talent in art or writing (besides cynicism and semi-useful advice, that is), I'd be happy to help out with skalding if you'd have me; I might actually be able to do something instead of just commenting on how great everyone else's work is (please note that in no way will I stop doing that).
If I am needed, what're the most intensive tasks right now?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 06:16:36 PM »
Considering as I don't contribute all that much in any of the threads due to having no talent in art or writing (besides cynicism and semi-useful advice, that is), I'd be happy to help out with skalding if you'd have me; I might actually be able to do something instead of just commenting on how great everyone else's work is (please note that in no way will I stop doing that).
If I am needed, what're the most intensive tasks right now?

Hi, Para.  Thanks so much for the offer!  Sorry for the delay in replying -- I was away from my computer the last several hours.

Let me put in some thought re: specific projects (and not being redundant on what Viola is doing) and get back to you.  In the meantime, you can always ferry comments from Disqus if any discussions from the last couple of weeks were on subjects that interest you. 

Thanks again for offering!  I hope it'll inspire others to follow suit. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 06:19:35 PM »
Hi, Para.  Thanks so much for the offer!  Sorry for the delay in replying -- I was away from my computer the last several hours.

Let me put in some thought re: specific projects (and not being redundant on what Viola is doing) and get back to you.  In the meantime, you can always ferry comments from Disqus if any discussions from the last couple of weeks were on subjects that interest you. 

Thanks again for offering!  I hope it'll inspire others to follow suit.
No worries about the delay- about projects, I was talking to Vi as her power cut out, so I've not got anything useful yet.
I'll be sure to keep an eye on Disqus if that's what's needed.
And don't thank me for volunteering, I should be thanking you for all the hard work you do for this community!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 07:11:11 PM »
No worries about the delay- about projects, I was talking to Vi as her power cut out, so I've not got anything useful yet.
I'll be sure to keep an eye on Disqus if that's what's needed.
And don't thank me for volunteering, I should be thanking you for all the hard work you do for this community!

I do have an idea or two for you, and as soon as I have power again and can use my computer I will let you know what that is.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 07:17:11 PM »
I do have an idea or two for you, and as soon as I have power again and can use my computer I will let you know what that is.
Good, glad I can be of help!
(and, uh, I wasn't being passive-aggressive in my last comment although in retrospect it sounded it- just saying that it was a case of Sod's Law)

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »
I'm glad to announce that Para is officially a Skald now! Welcome to the team! :)
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2021, 11:50:28 AM »
Hello! It has come time for us to recruit some temporary skalds to help out for the site restructuring. You will be given teaching on how to skald, don't worry.

Responsibilities include:
- splitting and merging threads
- sorting through the archive to determine where threads should be moved
- sorting through current threads and moving them
- general organization and clean up of the forum

Once the restructuring is complete, your account will return back to normal, and you will recieve a small badge on your profile that indicates that you helped restructure the site.

If you want to participate, just reply here with your interest. We will contact you when we're ready to begin.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2021, 03:52:39 AM »
Responsibilities include:
- sorting through the archive to determine where threads should be moved
I note a certain difference between your description (which stresses that applicants should be well able to grasp the semantics of thread topics and existing posts so as to be able to properly (re)align them) and Jitters announcement (which has a more technical slant) ... since I'm rather often not seeing eye to eye with other forum members WRT text interpretation, how much need for the illegitimate child of Scotty and Spock off the latter end of the spectrum would you actually have?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2021, 09:10:55 AM »
Well, you are right that it will only be helpful if the people helping move the threads into correct locations. Most of that is however likely to be very clear cut, or we can agree on a clear mission such as “go and find all poetry threads in the archive and move them to creative archive”.

And in cases when a judgment needs to be made, no one needs to make it alone - none of this is in a huge hurry, so any thread can be risen for discussion as to where it should go. Instructions as to how or where such discussions should be had will be provided to all participants.

There will also be a General area for stuff that does not go under any of the new boards.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2021, 12:55:11 AM »
Pretty much what Jitter said.

Some stuff will be harder to sort, but a lot of it is fairly obvious. The more nitty gritty and technicalities can be left to the end and it's totally fine to ask questions as we go. Worst case something gets moved somewhere and then later we decide to move it somewhere else. No one is going to be deleting things so we shouldn't have any permenant problems.

catbirds

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2021, 11:48:31 PM »
Hi, I'm interested in helping with reorganizing/restructuring the forum! I have a lot of free time the next two months, though if you know approximately how much time it'd take per day or per week, that'd be helpful too.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2021, 01:39:04 AM »
Hi, I'm interested in helping with reorganizing/restructuring the forum! I have a lot of free time the next two months, though if you know approximately how much time it'd take per day or per week, that'd be helpful too.

We're not working under a strict time limit, so there's no strict quota of commitment. I'd say once you've learned the necessary skills, taking just a half hour or more every few days to sort things and move threads would be a big help in progressing towards the new site layout, especially if there are several people working on it. Of course if you have more time, then feel free to help out more!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport