Author Topic: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club  (Read 81674 times)

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
Re: The ARTD/SSSS Yarncrafters Club
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2015, 04:34:07 PM »
Oof, I finally managed to write everything down. You can find the pattern here. :)
Yay!
Thank you!  :) Oh man those capelets would look awesome! I hope you'll share photos of your projects if you start on one!
Will do (but it might be a while). I'm seriously considering steeking it. That would mean having to weave some suitable ribbons to go with it, though... BTW, are you or anyone else on Ravelry?
I'm leaning towards something like that, yes. There's some kind of a coiled shape which might be some sort of an Ouroboros - Braidy being Icelandic it makes me think it could be Miðgarðsormurinn. I'm not entirely sure of this but the Norwegian generals seemed to have similar round badges on their cloaks.
Oh, great thought! I wish there were readily available silver discs with Midgårdsormen on them!  :)
(When I grow up I want to be captain Ása. I've already made a good start by an obsessive knitting hobby and things done in the past that would make me easily blackmailable...)
Yay for blackmail material!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 04:42:17 PM by Aprillen »
Native language: :se: Fluent in: :gb: Can fake it in: :no:  :dk: Very badly: :fr: :es:

Chapter break survivor:
:artd:

:book1+:
:book2:
:book3:
:book4:
:A2chap01:

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2015, 04:56:30 PM »
regarding the disk-thing on Braidy's clothes, I remember someone suggesting it could be mother-of-pearl
I'm not sure about mother-of-pearl being obtainable in any significant amounts in the North Atlantic, though. Doesn't most of it today come from the South Seas, or from pearl farms? (If anyone knows better, I'd happily be corrected.)
Native language: :se: Fluent in: :gb: Can fake it in: :no:  :dk: Very badly: :fr: :es:

Chapter break survivor:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2015, 09:31:39 PM »
BTW, are you or anyone else on Ravelry?

I am!! Feel free to add me on there. I'm Starfallz. (Surprise surprise!)

Also, I got my mitten pattern worked out and I'm trying out the first one. Progress as of this afternoon.

Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2015, 04:44:46 AM »
Aprillen: The only problem with silver disks is that the material's expensive. I'm sure though that they could be easily made in large amounts by f.ex. etching the image on, if using photo etching you could even create lots of near identical ones. Etching as a process always varies a little from plate to plate no matter what but with photo etching the initial design would at least always be the same. Hmmm... Then again some cheaper metal could also be used and just silverplated afterwards...

For mother of pearl, there's at least one abalone farm here because the north coast waters are apparently ideal for red abalone. There are a few other mollusks too that produce a mother-of-pearl layer but they tend to be on the small side.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2015, 05:21:49 AM »
Aprillen: The only problem with silver disks is that the material's expensive. I'm sure though that they could be easily made in large amounts by f.ex. etching the image on, if using photo etching you could even create lots of near identical ones. Etching as a process always varies a little from plate to plate no matter what but with photo etching the initial design would at least always be the same. Hmmm... Then again some cheaper metal could also be used and just silverplated afterwards...

For mother of pearl, there's at least one abalone farm here because the north coast waters are apparently ideal for red abalone. There are a few other mollusks too that produce a mother-of-pearl layer but they tend to be on the small side.
Have you checked your local bead shop?  I've seen Tibetan silver (lower grade than sterling) and MoP disks in bead shops from time to time, reasonably cheaply, too.  Some of these could be sewn on.  I don't do any beading personally, but have sometimes had occasion to kill time in a shop.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »
You make all so beautiful things, respect! Regrettably I was never able to learn to knit...
I was thinking about posting my efforts making a fan-quilt in here, would this be okay?
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2015, 10:43:48 AM »
There is also silver clay, which is malleable and you could even use it with a mold, and then burn off the clay part and leave only the silver. It is expensive though.

I was also thinking bone disks might be an option.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »

Yes, but the good thing about silver is that you can melt it down and reuse it. So if you found a lot of pretty but ultimately not very useful silverware, for instance, it would be pretty easy to make new things from it. Silver does corrode with time but most of it is still intact. Gold and silver stay around, if they've been around to begin with, and since they aren't very useful for tools and other practical things, they might as well be reused for pretty things. Mother-of-pearl can't be worked like that -- you'd have to find new shells of the right size, and right now (Y90) diving for nacre shells in sea-beast-infected seas doesn't seem like a good use of anyone's time. Also, silver has long been used for ornamentation on traditional folklore clothing in Scandinavia, especially in Norway, southern Sweden and Sápmi (and I wouldn't be surprised if this goes for parts of Finland too). In a culture where you can't show off your wealth with new cars or the latest electronic gadgets, good clothing and precious metals are your fall-back method for showing off.

Also, silver is mythologically connected with the Moon, and metal decorations have been prevalent in shaman clothing, so silver discs appearing on a Spirit/Dream World outfit makes perfect sense to me.

Tl;dr Mother-of-pearl is not out of the question, but silver seems like a much more likely candidate in my mind.

EDITED TO ADD: The above reasoning is for the presence of silver on Reynir's Dream World outfit in the comic, not necessarily for the cosplay outfits we make ourselves! Just thought I'd clarify that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:40:12 PM by Aprillen »

Chapter break survivor:

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »
...and I just realised that Reynir is Icelandic, not mainland Scandinavian, and that Laufey probably has a far better understanding of Icelandic clothing history and culture than I do. Sorry about that. *facepalm*

Chapter break survivor:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2015, 04:53:19 PM »
...and I just realised that Reynir is Icelandic, not mainland Scandinavian, and that Laufey probably has a far better understanding of Icelandic clothing history and culture than I do. Sorry about that. *facepalm*

No worries, Icelanders aren't that different from the mainland. Silver and gold were imported over specifically for clothing decoration and then people went totally wild with it - Icelandic national dresses for a great example! Silver is indeed a likely possibility. :)

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2015, 04:54:04 PM »
I am!! Feel free to add me on there. I'm Starfallz. (Surprise surprise!)

Also, I got my mitten pattern worked out and I'm trying out the first one. Progress as of this afternoon. <snip>
I'm Aviganavigatrix* on Ravelry, just so you know what weird random stranger it was that just added you. :)
The mittens look great!
*It seemed funny at the time... "aviga" is Swedish for "purl" (plural).

Chapter break survivor:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »
No worries, Icelanders aren't that different from the mainland. Silver and gold were imported over specifically for clothing decoration (and some other uses) and then people went totally wild with it - Icelandic national dresses for a great example! Silver is indeed a likely possibility. :)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:03:54 PM by Laufey »

Aprillen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Grade D Human
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
No worries, Icelanders aren't that different from the mainland. Silver and gold were imported over specifically for clothing decoration and then people went totally wild with it - Icelandic national dresses for a great example! Silver is indeed a likely possibility. :)
Yep, parts of Scania (southern Sweden) too!

Chapter break survivor:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »
You make all so beautiful things, respect! Regrettably I was never able to learn to knit...
I was thinking about posting my efforts making a fan-quilt in here, would this be okay?
That would be lovely! My mother quilts, too. (Regrettably I was never able to learn how to use a sewing machine without destroying either the machine or my project.) I look forward to seeing your quilt!
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

WellAnFree

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2015, 04:17:50 AM »
That would be lovely! My mother quilts, too. (Regrettably I was never able to learn how to use a sewing machine without destroying either the machine or my project.) I look forward to seeing your quilt!
I agree, any sort of fiber art should be fine, it all blends in and out anyway.