Author Topic: SSSS Memes/Edits Thread  (Read 573042 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: SSSS Memes/Edits Thread
« Reply #675 on: May 23, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »
Reynir: Oh I get along really well with my new companions, especially... *looks at smudged writing on hand* Lúlli. Uh...
ahahaha yessss
I can't think of any panel where Reynir looks at his hand, but otherwise I'd make an edit of that

(Stupid Icelandic pun, sorry about that - Lúlli is a nickname for Lúðvík. I find it pretty hilarious that Reynir is for the moment thinking Lalli's name is actually Lúðvík.)
Oooohhh
........ to be fair, Lalli is a pretty ridiculous name already
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #676 on: May 23, 2015, 10:40:49 AM »
........ to be fair, Lalli is a pretty ridiculous name already

There's actually a legend of a man called Lalli in Finland, he's a bit of a national hero. He axed a Swedish bishop in the head.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #677 on: May 23, 2015, 10:50:14 AM »
Yup, Lúlli for friends. :D

(Stupid Icelandic pun, sorry about that - Lúlli is a nickname for Lúðvík. I find it pretty hilarious that Reynir is for the moment thinking Lalli's name is actually Lúðvík.)
Oh. Nickname. I understand better ^^° (Lúðvík doesn't suit at all for Lalli.)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #678 on: May 23, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
Yup, Lúlli for friends. :D

Oh, I actually googled "Lulli composer" and found out that there was a composer with the surname Lulli serving as royal composer in France. I thought there had been some weird mix-up.

zetkaj

« Reply #679 on: May 24, 2015, 05:35:47 PM »

Actual Lulli...Or Lully, to be exact. Jean-Baptiste Lully, a French baroque compositor.
No wonder Lalli got angry, he's much too pretty to be associated with that...face.......
There's actually a legend of a man called Lalli in Finland, he's a bit of a national hero. He axed a Swedish bishop in the head.
That...sounds like an interesting legend. And an interesting way to become a national hero, too.
Native :poland: , fluent :uk: , a bit :germany: , learning :finland:

The whole culture is based on pretending. Pretending that we are cultured.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #680 on: May 24, 2015, 06:42:31 PM »
Actual Lulli...Or Lully, to be exact. Jean-Baptiste Lully, a French baroque composer.
No wonder Lalli got angry, he's much too pretty to be associated with that...face.......

He spelled his last name "Lulli" when growing up in Italy; after relocating to France, he spelled it with a Y to make it look more French.  So both are OK.

Fun facts:  He died of a music-related injury.  Before the invention of the conductor's baton circa 1800, maestros gave their musicians the beat by pounding a staff on the ground.  Lully stabbed his foot with his staff and got gangrene from the injury.

Also, he apparently was gay (or at least bisexual, as he was married with at least 3 children), and had an "active" personal life.  So I guess not everyone found that face too off-putting...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #681 on: May 24, 2015, 06:59:23 PM »
That...sounds like an interesting legend. And an interesting way to become a national hero, too.

Even better than that, it was actually two legends for the price of one! The bishop he chopped also became legendary - a saint.

The details of the story vary depending on from which side the story it's told, of course. It's agreed that Saint Henry was traveling Finland converting the heathens when one day he came to Lalli's house. Lalli wasn't home, so the group paid his wife for food and hay for their horses and then went on their way. For some reason that's never explained the wife apparently lied to Lalli afterwards that the group had ransacked the house instead and he got so angry he followed the (for some reason already escaping) group until he finally caught up to the bishop and killed him with an axe. He took the bishop's hat and put it on his own head, but as he came home and tried to take the hat off his whole scalp fell off with it.

The other way of reading the story is that the house indeed was ransacked, or that the wife of Lalli had no option but to comply with the uninvited guests' demands and received no pay. This all happened in midwinter... a group of men suddenly emptying the food storage meant hunger and possible death to Lalli's whole family.

It's an interesting legend on its own, and the best part is that it's most likely entirely made up. There was no need for anyone to convert Finland at this time since the country, especially the area Saint Henry was said to be in, had already been Christian for almost 200 years and the historical records around him don't quite match the legend either. There's more about Saint Henry here and Lalli here.

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

MrNegative

• pretty cool
« Reply #682 on: May 24, 2015, 07:21:41 PM »

Anybody else watch Top Gear?
Native: :usa:
Learning: :sweden:, :vaticancity:
On hold: :denmark:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #683 on: May 24, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »

Oh my god I did not ever expect this here in this fandom and I am laughing entirely too hard right now
Perhaaaaaps.........
YEET

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #684 on: May 24, 2015, 08:01:08 PM »

I'm... speechless. This is true beauty. ;D

freddiethefantastic

« Reply #685 on: May 25, 2015, 12:16:47 AM »

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #686 on: May 25, 2015, 12:25:19 AM »

This is gold and I am glad I am friends with you. What a meme. What a fantastic edit. I'm very tired and incoherent can anybody tell
YEET

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #687 on: May 25, 2015, 04:23:35 AM »

Blackjazz

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • ~Je suis Le Chapeau~
« Reply #688 on: May 25, 2015, 06:38:26 AM »
So I was going to collect pictures to make a fanvid, but then this happened:

It took way longer than I expected and I am very tired now. Enjoy!
Native: :usa:.
Lots :france:  :mexico:  Little :italy: Learning :southkorea:
On the list: everything
:chap6: :chap7:
Enjoy yourself; it is later than you think.

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #689 on: May 25, 2015, 06:45:43 AM »
So I was going to collect pictures to make a fanvid, but then this happened:

It took way longer than I expected and I am very tired now. Enjoy!
Hahaha, this fits perfectly! It starts so beautifully with the poem and then, of course, Reynir messes it up XD

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3