Author Topic: SSSS Memes/Edits Thread  (Read 573226 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: SSSS Memes/Edits Thread
« Reply #2685 on: January 16, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »
Bear with me on this one...

I was thinking today what it must be like for Emil, having to deal with all the different languages of the crew while only speaking Swedish. And that got me thinking about the relationships between the Nordic languages. Which got me thinking about how you could represent those relationships from a starting point of English. And before long I'd figured out equivalents for Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Icelandic using the West Germanic languages (plus a Celtic one, because we need some sheer gibberish from another language family to represent Finnish  ;D ). And thus this unnecessarily confusing mashup was born...

(I relied on Google Translate for the 'Finnish' and 'Icelandic', so they're probably not great ;D )

I laughed so hard at Mikkel and Sigrun's dialogue. Wow, that really does put Emil's experience into perspective. ;D
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #2686 on: January 16, 2017, 07:38:42 PM »

I was thinking today what it must be like for Emil, having to deal with all the different languages of the crew while only speaking Swedish. And that got me thinking about the relationships between the Nordic languages. Which got me thinking about how you could represent those relationships from a starting point of English. And before long I'd figured out equivalents for Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Icelandic using the West Germanic languages (plus a Celtic one, because we need some sheer gibberish from another language family to represent Finnish  ;D ). And thus this unnecessarily confusing mashup was born...

(I relied on Google Translate for the 'Finnish' and 'Icelandic', so they're probably not great ;D )

Now Emil's struggle to communicate makes sense. He can't understand a word anyone is saying. Also, Sigrun's dialogue made me cry.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

corncobman

• Weirdsmith
« Reply #2687 on: January 16, 2017, 10:29:34 PM »

This is brilliant stuff.
A man left his Icelandic home
Escaped to Denmark to freely roam
With hair braided red
He got hit on the head
With a crate lid slammed onto his dome

Fluent: :uk:
Fluent spoken, bad writing: :china:
Some knowledge: :france: :germany:
Odd word here and there: :japan:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #2688 on: January 17, 2017, 07:55:49 AM »
I couldn't resist doing some more 'Norwegian' :)

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2689 on: January 17, 2017, 08:04:39 AM »
I couldn't resist doing some more 'Norwegian' :)

Having never heard that kind of Northern accent, I can't help reading this in a thick, rural Southern drawl.
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2690 on: January 17, 2017, 08:57:53 AM »
Thanks for explaining, Purple Wyrm! The choices seem well thought out from my perspective as a non-native English speaker :) Poor Emil. Poor everyone in the team.

Petition to reply to "What is SSSS?" with this:

I feel it represents the comic in a profound, if maybe incomplete way  ;D

Miriam

• Scout
  • Icon by HulluPunaKettu
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2691 on: January 17, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »

This is great!

Torbjörn's Dutch is understandable, but if you don't mind, let me make some corrections on it. If you do mind, sorry.

Spoiler: More natural spoken Dutch • show

Luister iedereen, we zijn op hebben een vrij strak schema vandaag, dus we moeten op onze weg snel vertrekken.

"op onze weg" is a too literal translation from "on our way", the word "weg" isn't used like that.

We zullen eerst een stop op ons hoofdkwartier in Mora maken en heb je al ingelicht over je missie jullie inlichten over de missie.

Onze rit naar de zuidelijke grens vertrekt laat in de avond.

Oh dat is juist klopt. We hebben een aantal taalbarriëres hier.

Als we nodig hebben om Zweeds te moeten spreken kan ik voor u jou vertalen, Taru.

I assume by now Torbjörn would use the informal you ('je/jij/jou') to Taru rather than the formal one ('u').

In orde.

This one is completely correct.

I hope I didn't just ruin your interesting edit!
Native: :netherlands:
Some. Enough.: :uk:
Special: :germany: :france:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #2692 on: January 17, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
This is great!

Torbjörn's Dutch is understandable, but if you don't mind, let me make some corrections on it. If you do mind, sorry.

(snip)

I hope I didn't just ruin your interesting edit!

Not at all! It was done by Google Translate so I assumed it would be a bit rough :) I'll go back and edit it when I have a minute.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2693 on: January 17, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
Wyrm, that is delightful! I hear Emil as BBC English, perhaps from the 1950s (I mean, Emil says things like 'get along swimmingly'); Sigrun I can't decide between a Northumbrian/Borders accent and braid Scots; Mikkel as Somerset (or is that 'Zummerzet') or maybe Dorset, something slow and buzzing; Reynir as something between Old English and Middle English; and yes, Lalli (and Tuuri when she is speaking Finnish) as the sort of Welsh I hear spoken by my cousins from Pontypridd. And Kitty of course speaks Universal Cat.

No wonder they have communication problems!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2694 on: January 18, 2017, 03:09:26 AM »

Spoiler: "ya gotta lookit this thang" • show

I agree, Mikkel's lines are summat perfect noo.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #2695 on: January 18, 2017, 04:32:38 PM »
It took me more than a few seconds there to figure out what in the hells was going on with all the bizarre accents all of a sudden...and now I'm absolutely cracking up. I'm actually really familiar with a lot of accents so this is just perfect.

Also, Purple Wyrm, your avatar absolutely has me losing my mind too...mostly because of this.

Spoiler: show
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #2696 on: January 18, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
It took me more than a few seconds there to figure out what in the hells was going on with all the bizarre accents all of a sudden...and now I'm absolutely cracking up. I'm actually really familiar with a lot of accents so this is just perfect.

Also, Purple Wyrm, your avatar absolutely has me losing my mind too...mostly because of this.

Ah! You have uncovered one of my sources :D

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #2697 on: January 18, 2017, 06:28:03 PM »

I think I've found my new lock-screen
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2698 on: January 18, 2017, 06:51:33 PM »
Updated caption: "*HOOOOONK* You blew another try!"
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #2699 on: January 18, 2017, 08:37:10 PM »

Happy to be of assistance!
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+: