Author Topic: Minna/SSSS in the news!  (Read 12722 times)

Paul Ferris

Re: Minna/SSSS in the news!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 05:57:07 AM »
Linguistic purism, or linguistic nationalism as some call it, is generally regarded as a distinct and often more clearly ideological subset of linguistic prescriptivism which is a more wide-ranging concept (and more importantly, what is your point?).

None really. I think I was just arguing for it's own sake about things I don't understand. Sorry :P
Learning: :denmark:
Can read and sort-of speak: :france:
Native: :australia:

Varjohaltia

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 10:26:53 AM »
The Guardian piece on my Facebook feed is what brought me here.

Hooray! Also, welcome!
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 05:32:10 PM »
It was featured in Design Week, with an interview of Minna.  Reference courtesy of Ceceoh.

...and, a few days later, in Business Insider (reference by Rabbit). 

AND it was also featured in the Washington Post, by foreign affairs columnist Ishaan Tharoor. 
(Regrettably, while the WP commenters are polite, they're remarkably unobservant.  Most of the comments are: "Where is [language that's on the tree]?" or "Why don't you show [non-Indo-European or Uralic language]?"  Or answers to those two queries.

Our little Minna -- getting known all over the world!  (sniffles sentimentally)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:30:46 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 06:43:55 AM »
It has to be noted, as an excuse for the commenters, that the WP article itself is remarkably devoid of context information. One or two concise sentences about the comic and the role of the tree in the comic (ie a treat for the readers rather than a reference work) would have spared questions.
On the other hand, the focus (or bias?) on the indian branches of the tree is refreshingly new!
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Lallipop

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 08:03:10 AM »
;D This is great! I think? They should've provided more context but oh well. Free publicity!

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 10:47:57 AM »
By the way, it is perhaps time to rename this thread ?
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 09:33:28 PM »
By the way, it is perhaps time to rename this thread ?
I think so, too. Since there are other sites of sorts that are also publishing an article on Minna's Language Tree, we should call it something like, "Minna's Language Tree Published in Other Places" or something along those lines.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 11:11:53 PM »
I think so, too. Since there are other sites of sorts that are also publishing an article on Minna's Language Tree, we should call it something like, "Minna's Language Tree Published in Other Places" or something along those lines.
Or maybe like "Outside News about SSSS/Minna?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Varjohaltia

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 11:58:49 PM »
*ahem*

While all the replies do seem to refer to the original thread name, it was suggested to me that it ought to be renamed, so I did so a while back :-)

Mind you, if you'd prefer a more inclusive or different title, let me know. I just edited the first post, also do let me know if there's a better way to do it.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 05:22:38 PM »
*ahem*

While all the replies do seem to refer to the original thread name, it was suggested to me that it ought to be renamed, so I did so a while back :-)

Mind you, if you'd prefer a more inclusive or different title, let me know. I just edited the first post, also do let me know if there's a better way to do it.

Varjohaltia (as thread creator) changed the name at my suggestion.  If and when we see any further coverage of Minna Sundberg and/or SSSS beyond the Language Tree, he *might* be kind enough to change the thread name again.  Minnions, finding that coverage is your new mission...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

victrixia

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 02:29:57 PM »
Can we have a support group for people getting upset over the influx of "WHY IS THIS NON-INDO-EUROPEAN OR FENNO-UGRIC LANGUAGE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS MAP YOU INCOMPETENT PERSON BESIDES THERE WAS NO LANGUAGE X IN YEAR ZERO" or even better "HOW DARE YOU MAKE AN INFOGRAPHIC LIKE THIS IT'S NOT INFORMATIVE AT ALL FOR LEAVING OUT X"?

ie. people who cannot read, or have not read the comic, and are just being obnoxious. I truly hope Minna doesn't get the comments in her inbox or something. D: Uuuugh, I shouldn't have looked at the comments (reading through the comic again because why not), but here we are. Agh. Thank you and sorry for the disturbance! :P

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 07:43:02 AM »
I seem to remember seeing links on my FB feed to it on image/meme sharing sites such as 9gag and dailyfailcenter

Varjohaltia

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 11:02:26 PM »
I seem to remember seeing links on my FB feed to it on image/meme sharing sites such as 9gag and dailyfailcenter

Undoubtedly. I'm getting really cross with FB and all the "content aggregators" these days. Even if I find something to repost, I go through the trouble of finding the original article to post, not one of the leeches. :-(

Sumeri

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hämäläisjuntti
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 03:54:28 AM »
Can we have a support group for people getting upset over the influx of "WHY IS THIS NON-INDO-EUROPEAN OR FENNO-UGRIC LANGUAGE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS MAP YOU INCOMPETENT PERSON BESIDES THERE WAS NO LANGUAGE X IN YEAR ZERO" or even better "HOW DARE YOU MAKE AN INFOGRAPHIC LIKE THIS IT'S NOT INFORMATIVE AT ALL FOR LEAVING OUT X"?

ie. people who cannot read, or have not read the comic, and are just being obnoxious. I truly hope Minna doesn't get the comments in her inbox or something. D: Uuuugh, I shouldn't have looked at the comments (reading through the comic again because why not), but here we are. Agh. Thank you and sorry for the disturbance! :P

Ugh, I know your pain -.- I also, regrettably, decided to look at the comments and after the nth time someone complained about some language not being there I kind of wanted to die
Lankeaa
metsän henget
polvilleen

native: :finland:
fluent: :uk:
somewhat struggling with: :sweden:
learned but mostly forgotten: :france:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

JoB

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2015, 08:12:41 AM »
Ugh, I know your pain -.- I also, regrettably, decided to look at the comments and after the nth time someone complained about some language not being there I kind of wanted to die
Maybe Minna should change the lower right corner to show a lumberjack sitting at a roaring camp fire with an arrow and the words "YOUR PET LANGUAGE HERE" floating above. 8)
native: :germany:secondary: :usa: :france:
:artd: :book1+::book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15