Author Topic: Swedish language group  (Read 37817 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: Swedish language group
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2015, 01:25:56 AM »
Tack.  Ett mer än engelska :)  Finns det regler eller bara vet en och ett?
(Jag är för trött för svara på svenska, förlåt...)

Ryagami is right in that there aren't really any set rules, but usually living things are always en- whereas non-living things are ett-
There are of course some very important exceptions to that, like "barn" (child)
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

olavi

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2015, 09:33:23 AM »
(Jag är för trött för svara på svenska, förlåt...)

Ryagami is right in that there aren't really any set rules, but usually living things are always en- whereas non-living things are ett-
There are of course some very important exceptions to that, like "barn" (child)

This might be because the proto Indo-European "genders" were animate and inanimate. The animate split into masculine and feminine at some point creating the three part system still in use in German, Icelandic, and Russian. Some Germanic languages have combined the former animate parts masculine and feminine (like Swedish and northern dialects of Dutch) or got rid of the genders altogether (English).

Latin used to have the three fold split too, but when the classical Latin turned into vulgar Latin the neuter was infused (mostly) into the masculine gender. Only masculine and feminine are found in the modern Romance languages. Some of the former neuter nouns appear now as irregular nouns with singular that acts like one gender and plural that switches to another.
Native :finland: > :usa: > :sweden: > :italy: > :france: > :netherlands: > :iceland: "Hello"

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2015, 10:06:21 AM »
Minor nitpicking that's not even related to Swedish:
Only masculine and feminine are found in the modern Romance languages. Some of the former neuter nouns appear now as irregular nouns with singular that acts like one gender and plural that switches to another.
Actually, Romanian does have a neuter gender, along with masculine and feminine. It behaves as you described irregular nouns (masculine for singular, feminine for plural).

More on topic, I got a duolingo account at Solovei's suggestion (tack så mycket!) and I'm burning through the low level Swedish lessons. Damn addictive little thing. Grammar and vocabulary-wise it seems like such an easy language so far, but Jesus, the pronunciation is insane. I'll join you guys in this thread as soon as I feel confident with the basic basics.

Armchair Survivalist

« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »
Mmm...so någ by itself must me something like "some" right?  If memory serves, någon is "someone" and "något" is something?
Well, "någ" never appears by itself. "Någon" appears in early forms in the early 16th century.

Yep, you are correct as to the meaning of "någon" and "något", but it is also determined by the article - if it is "en" (en person, en telefon, en chans), you use "någon"; if it is "ett" (ett forum, ett ord, ett flygplan), "något" is used. In everyday speech and writing, the words are usually abbreviated to "nån" and "nåt". You also find the "någ" root in "någonstans" (somewhere), "någonting" (something), and "någorlunda" (somewhat).
Fluent: :sweden: :usa: :uk:
Understand: :norway: :denmark:
Read better than speak: :germany:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2015, 11:25:32 AM »
More on topic, I got a duolingo account at Solovei's suggestion (tack så mycket!) and I'm burning through the low level Swedish lessons. Damn addictive little thing. Grammar and vocabulary-wise it seems like such an easy language so far, but Jesus, the pronunciation is insane. I'll join you guys in this thread as soon as I feel confident with the basic basics.

The pronounciation isn't that difficult for me, actually (could be worse... could be... DANISH)
Here's a really useful guide that I show to everyone though: http://www2.hhs.se/isa/swedish/chap9.htm

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2015, 12:40:30 PM »

For what it's worth, I'm a rank beginner and you'll notice I don't use very many words ;)

(Thankfully, nobody can hear my pronunciation yet.)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 03:11:50 PM by urbicande »
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2015, 04:48:12 PM »
Here's a really useful guide that I show to everyone though: http://www2.hhs.se/isa/swedish/chap9.htm

Bookmarked.  Så mycket tack!

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2015, 09:27:26 AM »
Någon lyssna till svenska radio?  Jag ha för några år lyssna på radio i tyska och franska med listenlive.eu.  Jag se det är svenska radio där.

Också, några bra och långsam svenska podcasts? 

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2015, 11:04:33 AM »
So lately I developed a serious music-crush on Kent and decided I must learn Swedish (this is a thing that keeps happening to me). I was very happy to find this thread, and the lessons are bite-sized and not intimidating and pretty awesome! Will there be any more? Is any minnion learning Swedish right now?

Hej anonion!

Det finns flera av oss här som lär sig svenska. Förresten, jag älskar Kent. De har många väldigt bra låtar! :)
Native - :serbia:

Fluent - :uk: / :usa:

Moderate? - :sweden:  :italy:

Bits and pieces - :turkey:

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut

Cat Is in the Moon

• Such Evil.
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2015, 03:01:33 AM »
Jag har jo lyssnat på svenska radion några gånger fast jag inte ofta förstor dem. XD På yle vega, Finlands svenskspråkiga kanal. Men  jag kan inte hjäpa med podcaster, för jag lyssnar nånting liksom  nyheter eller sådant...  :(
Det skulle jo vara roligt att ha en lätt podcast som kunde man kunde lyssnas på. :)

Divra

« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2015, 12:47:08 PM »
Sveriges Radio gör ett nyhetsprogram på lätt svenska, avsett för bland annat människor som lär sig svenska, som heter "Klartext", och ska finnas på följande sida.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt?programid=493

Jag vet inte om det hjälper, eller om det ens går att hitta sidan från utanför Sverige, men det kanske kan vara värt ett försök.

Spoiler: show
Swedish national radio makes a news program in easy Swedish, targeted at, among others, pople who are learning Swedish, which is called "Klartext" and is supposed to be on the following page.

I don't know if it helps, or if it's even possibe to find the page from outside Sweden, but it might be worth a try.

Edit: Added translation in spoiler
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:29:33 PM by Divra »

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2015, 04:37:43 PM »
Sveriges Radio gör ett nyhetsprogram på lätt svenska, avsett för bland annat människor som lär sig svenska, som heter "Klartext", och ska finnas på följande sida.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/avsnitt?programid=493

Jag vet inte om det hjälper, eller om det ens går att hitta sidan från utanför Sverige, men det kanske kan vara värt ett försök.

Spoiler: show
Swedish national radio makes a news program in easy Swedish, targeted at, among others, pople who are learning Swedish, which is called "Klartext" and is supposed to be on the following page.

I don't know if it helps, or if it's even possibe to find the page from outside Sweden, but it might be worth a try.

Edit: Added translation in spoiler

I tried it on my computer just now (I'm in Canada) and it worked just fine :) The website is pretty straightforward but if anyone needs translations:

Lyssna med musik = Listen with music
Lyssna utan music = Listen without music
Ladda ner = Download

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2015, 07:13:20 PM »
Swedish pronunciation is weird.

And that's pretty much all I have to say about it.
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2015, 06:26:17 AM »
Swedish pronunciation is weird.

And that's pretty much all I have to say about it.
Can I add hilarious?:D

My native language/dialect has a constant slowly descending intonation across the phrase so that's what sounds "normal" to me. I just can't imagine how people fight in Swedish. The way you have to accent almost every syllable makes everything sound so jolly! It's even worse than French. I haven't been able to work on my Swedish pronunciation at all because every time I try it cracks me up.

Divra

« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2015, 06:35:10 AM »
Can I add hilarious?:D

My native language/dialect has a constant slowly descending intonation across the phrase so that's what sounds "normal" to me. I just can't imagine how people fight in Swedish. The way you have to accent almost every syllable makes everything sound so jolly! It's even worse than French. I haven't been able to work on my Swedish pronunciation at all because every time I try it cracks me up.

I find it hilarious that you would say that, since that is exactly what Norwegian sounds to Swedes...