Author Topic: Plans for Minna's Birthday!  (Read 53044 times)

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
Re: Plans for Minna's Birthday!
« Reply #300 on: January 09, 2016, 06:13:37 AM »
Viola and Eri! that page is awesome!
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #301 on: January 09, 2016, 07:17:19 AM »
This turned out real nice, and it seems Minna liked it :) Let's do it again next year! (note to self: make card more festive)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #302 on: January 09, 2016, 07:32:02 AM »
(note to self: make card more festive)
I like your card :) Nobody told it had to been only "festive" !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #303 on: January 09, 2016, 07:55:57 AM »
Thanks Mélusine :) That's true, we didn't have rules on what the cards should look like, except "cats". I didn't know what to expect for the context where they were shown, so I went for something generic. But I'd like to make something more birthday-themed next time :D

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #304 on: January 09, 2016, 08:20:02 AM »
Thanks Mélusine :) That's true, we didn't have rules on what the cards should look like, except "cats". I didn't know what to expect for the context where they were shown, so I went for something generic. But I'd like to make something more birthday-themed next time :D
Yes, something more festive would be nice.
I also feel we should make more of an effort to include writers the next time around. I'm certain quite a few wanted to participate, but didn't know how to go about it. Maybe we can do illustrated poems or stories. Something I'd find really cool would be a story jointly written by the writers (like someone starts with a few sentences and someone else picks it up and so on) and people capable of drawing each illustrating a passage - something like that.
But that would require so much preparation, I don't know if we could pull it off.
Let's just try to make the next one more accessible for everyone.
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #305 on: January 09, 2016, 08:40:48 AM »
Good idea! I'd be up for that, if other writers like it. Or we could do some other kind of joint project? I put in a haiku this time, because it was short, but couldn't put in art because I genuinely can't draw. On the other hand, the joint piece I did with Unlos for the Advent Calendar seemed to work well enough. Any ideas, fellow writers?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #306 on: January 09, 2016, 10:30:36 AM »
Thank you so much, Viola and Eri, for putting this page together! And thank you to everyone else who participated, because it looks awesome!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #307 on: January 09, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »
We could maybe make a short comic! So, the writer types write up the plot, then we give the art-types one panel each to draw or something? ^^

I actually thought about a video or something of fanart with the crew singing their contries happy birthday-songs, but that would require even more cooperation I guess... But it could be pretty fun and... wait, that could also work as a comic, I guess, with the crew each trying to outvoice each other and arguing about which language is the best. Tuuri would of course win since Minna is Finnish, although Emil's argument about Minna speaking Swedish as well will probably be pretty good and oh my goddess get these ideas out, I can't draw well enough for it!
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #308 on: January 09, 2016, 12:29:13 PM »
We could maybe make a short comic! So, the writer types write up the plot, then we give the art-types one panel each to draw or something? ^^

I actually thought about a video or something of fanart with the crew singing their contries happy birthday-songs, but that would require even more cooperation I guess... But it could be pretty fun and... wait, that could also work as a comic, I guess, with the crew each trying to outvoice each other and arguing about which language is the best. Tuuri would of course win since Minna is Finnish, although Emil's argument about Minna speaking Swedish as well will probably be pretty good and oh my goddess get these ideas out, I can't draw well enough for it!
I thought about the possibility of doing a comic, but in the end, what would be visible would be the work of the drawing artists once again. The plot and some speech bubbles don't really allow any writer to show off their skill with words. So I think something that allows for longer texts (at least a few sentences per person or small pieces produced in group work) would be better.
Although your idea with the video does sound enticing. I'm pretty sure someone can make one regardless of what the next birthday present is going to be :D
Hahaha! It's truly too early to be talking about this :P

Thanks to Eri and Vi for making this year's present happen! You did great work, guys :)
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #309 on: January 09, 2016, 12:57:22 PM »
The page looks great! Thanks for putting it together, Feartheviolas and Eriaror!

I like the idea of doing something with more art/writing collaboration in the future. As someone who does a little bit of each, I get really excited to see things where visual art and writing go hand-in-hand.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #310 on: January 09, 2016, 01:43:49 PM »
I thought about the possibility of doing a comic, but in the end, what would be visible would be the work of the drawing artists once again. The plot and some speech bubbles don't really allow any writer to show off their skill with words.
Are we doing this in order to impress Minna by showing of how awesome we are, or are we doing this because we want to entertain her and make her happy? I believe a comic can show a person's abilities as a writer, but maybe I'm a bit biased since I'm an author xD

But if we want to make a collaboration between drawers and writers I guess an illustrated short story or 10. Problem I can see is that written stories take longer to go through and do we really want to keep mMinna occupied from the comic for that long? 0=)

Hmm, it seems no matter how we twist it we'll just make it hard for us. My vote goes to the comic anyway, because it was my idea :P

Although your idea with the video does sound enticing. I'm pretty sure someone can make one regardless of what the next birthday present is going to be :D
If I could draw well enough I could make the video! arghblrg, I wish I could draw well enough. Not motivated enough to train though, anyone out there want to help make the pictures? Haha, j/k, I'll just put this idea in the idea-book where it'll be forgotten!

Hahaha! It's truly too early to be talking about this :P
Actually, no. If we're going to do a big collaboration it is not too early (okay, maybe a few days early). Making a collaboration would force us to start working on the present much earlier than we did this year, in order to make sure everything gets done and work together. Mostly for the work together part. Not saying that the drawing style need to be alike in all the pictures/panels/whatever, but it'd be weird if we had for example Sigrun tied to a chair down a large hole in one panel and in the next panel fighting against a giant that just suddenly poofed into existence on the third floor of a building.
You know what, know I wanna see how she got out of that hole...
On the other hand if we're just going to write stories and draw pictures seperated from each other then yes, it might be a bit to early, but better early than never!

Long post is long and I apologize for it!
Oh hey, what if we did make a comic, in which they find various books or birthday cards, and the books/cards would be clickable and then a short story or a greeting or something would pop up and oh my goddess, someone stop me before I dig this hole any deeper! xD

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #311 on: January 09, 2016, 04:37:26 PM »
Thank you, Feartheviolas, Eriaror, this looks so amazing and fantastic! I see on Twitter Minna loves it too, so mission accomplished, team!

Oh hey, what if we did make a comic, in which they find various books or birthday cards, and the books/cards would be clickable and then a short story or a greeting or something would pop up and oh my goddess, someone stop me before I dig this hole any deeper! xD

Sounds nice, though I must admit I see this as a small game rather than a comic. A point-n-click maybe, with the player exploring the Cat-Tank looking for birthday cards? Programming-wise, this is actually fairly easy to make (three weeks tops if all the graphics were ready) and we could put there everything from art through writings to even songs, if somebody'd do those.
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #312 on: January 09, 2016, 06:12:49 PM »
Sounds nice, though I must admit I see this as a small game rather than a comic. A point-n-click maybe, with the player exploring the Cat-Tank looking for birthday cards? Programming-wise, this is actually fairly easy to make (three weeks tops if all the graphics were ready) and we could put there everything from art through writings to even songs, if somebody'd do those.

Oh, yes, that sounds awesome, let's do it! *decides without waiting for anyone else*

saminiemi

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #313 on: January 10, 2016, 03:09:21 AM »
How about an illustrated novel? Or a collection of illustrated shortstories and illustrated poems. More freedom of style for individual artists (both writers and illustrators) and if it woul be a collection it could also include comics and standalone images and stories.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #314 on: January 10, 2016, 04:28:45 AM »
Sounds good to me!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!