Poll

What do you think the state of things is beyond Scandinavia?

More of the Silent World: Trolls, beasts and giants everywhere
7 (16.7%)
A few groups of humans, but mostly wilderness
14 (33.3%)
USA and other superpowers are relatively intact
0 (0%)
Scorched Earth: nothing, not even grosslings, is alive
0 (0%)
Plenty of places like Scandinavia, but isolated
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 03, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

Author Topic: Survivor communities outside the known world  (Read 232458 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: Survivor communities outside the known world
« Reply #825 on: August 11, 2015, 07:08:20 AM »
Hmm, maybe I could write one from survivors from southern US/northen Mexico... That being said, it's hot :s.

Your name and signature, combined with that idea, gives me great nostalgia for my very first post on this forum, way back when on the crossovers thread...

A couple of people above have said Western, and I love the idea, but I think it lacks the post-apocalyptic vibe of SSSS. With that in mind I humbly submit the idea of crossover with Fallout:New Vegas.

Tuuri and Lalli live in some run-down frontier settlement near the border with Legion territory. Lalli scavenges old world ruins at night for medicine and supplie, armed only with his trusty hunting rifle. Tuuri, a genius with machines of all kinds, helps them make ends meet by trading old world curios she has managed to get working again to passing traders.

Sigrun, a Ranger veteran from California, has just been posted to a base on the Colorado and can't wait to get across the river and deliver Caesar a lesson on women's suffrage in person. Until the order comes through, however, she has to content herself with hunting cazadores with her squad. Also stationed at the base is Mikkel, patching up the wounded as best he can and hardly ever mentioning face cancer these days.

Emil was born into a wealthy family of brahmin ranchers who lost everything in a drought a few years back. Having since joined up with the NCR military he dreams of becoming a heavy trooper one day, with his own power armour and flamethrower and everything. He has yet to see actual combat.

Now, driving a beaten-up old APC that was decommissioned by the NCR years ago, our five heroes sally out into the world outside the Mojave with one goal: scavenge as much high-value old world tech as they can get their hands on!

No-one counted on the appearance of a mysterious young New Canaanite and his pet cat.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:01:51 AM by SectoBoss »
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #826 on: August 11, 2015, 07:33:45 AM »
SectoBoss: I do hope you intend to write that! And in case I failed to mention it earlier, the new avatar suits you.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #827 on: August 11, 2015, 08:01:35 AM »
SectoBoss: I do hope you intend to write that! And in case I failed to mention it earlier, the new avatar suits you.

I think I might have some draft notes on my laptop somewhere... (been a while since I wrote any fanfic for SSSS, that needs rectifying!)
And thank you! (but thank Haiz first, it is hir work after all :) )
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Cliodna

• DeviantArt
  • Celibate because I don't give a ****
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #828 on: August 12, 2015, 08:55:15 AM »
I’m almost done reading through the thread and seen Estonia mentioned a couple of times. I figured I’d share some of my theories on the matter. They are not strictly „Silent World communities“ but this thread seems the most suitable for writing them down.

I do not think that western Estonian islands would stand ANY chance against the illness, contrary to what someone suggested 40 pages ago or so. Hiiumaa and Oesel/Saaremaa are very well connected to the mainland, with regular ferries carrying passengers over the sea. Kaali meteor lake and Kuressaare castle are popular tourist locations. At some winters you can drive a car there across the ice. There’s also a sizeable population of boars, foxes and elks living there, who’ll all be suspectible to the illness. All of that together creates an area with NO natural barriers, LOTS of international traffic for the illness to get there before day 0 and LOTS of boar-beasts as well as anything that feels like swimming/walking over from the mainland for a snack.
At best I can imagine a family of immune survivors hanging on for a year or so, living on birds, mushrooms, burgundy snails, fish, apples and so forth before pooling into a raft and trying their luck at reaching Sweden.

However it is confirmed that estonian language has not gone extinct yet. According to page 66 the finnish population is about 10500 in total. Comparing the leaf sizes of Finland and Estonia on page 196 I’d say that the amount of living estonian-speakers on Y90 is 500 AT BEST, but likely much less (200? 150? 100!?).
I reckon that most of said estonians would be the descendants of estonian-finnish immigrants living in Helsinki, but I could be wrong in that thought. It is relatively easy to get from Estonia to Finland with a ship or a boat so I can imagine refugees from Tallinn and other coastal areas flooding northwards. Now where are those estonians by year 90?

Someone a couple dozen pages ago raised a pretty valid point, pointing out that the island of Gogland in the Gulf of Finland has been cleansed if one zooms in on the map hard enough. I agree with them in that Gogland would be a great confender for an estonian residence, but I doubt that they’d have lived there since Y0. Instead I propose that the surviving estonian populations have taken residence on one or more of the islands of Saimaa. The area is sparsely populated enough for a group of survivors to band together and retain their culture through the following generations, yet civilized enough for trading, gaining aid and intermarrying with finns. In fact I reckon all the surviving estonian-speakers are at least a half-finnish by now. It might be more accurate to call them „estofinns“.
It’s certain that Gogland was ravaged by The Rash and since there’s no sign of it’s russian population (about 50 people) it’s safe to assume that they were wiped out by the illness. However, someone went all the way out there to cleanse the place. Who? It is not directly on any shipping routes. Nobody should have any interest in it.
Except estofinns, due to Gogland's proximity to Estonia.
If any estonian nationalism has survived, then I reckon that they are either craving to get some place to „call their own“ or attempting to establish a foothold for attempts to retake parts of their old country. How many people do you need to cleanse a 20 square kilometer island? I suppose it could be done with the help of finns or swedes (though how to get them to lend their aid?). Afterwards I imagine that they could establish a little fishing village there – the place is too far from the mainland for most mammal beasts to swim there and if most/all of the island’s inhabitants are immune the place would be...pleasantly safe, barring the occasional seal-beast (no whales in Gulf of Finland).

Some thoughts on their religion and magic...
On their own estonians would not turn back to their „old religions“. Firstly, because estonian paganism was repressed by christianity for centuries – a lot about the old beliefs is lost and that which remains is scattered at best. Secondly, because Estonia is amongst the least religios countries in the world (then again, so is Norway I think?). However that does not equal to all estonians being skeptics. I might be overgeneralizing due to my own experiences, but there’s still quite a bit of belief in genius loci, nature spirits and new-age concepts such as distant healing, and the flow of energies. It’s not that different from some american sees-ghosts-and-cures-with-prayer people, except that ours are more willing to self-identify as „witches“ (nõid, pl. nõiad). Depending on who the surviving community has been made up of I could imagine them taking a few of such concepts and mixing them into finnish magic.
As I said, on their own estonians would not turn back to their old religions. But they would NOT be on their own – the’d be surrounded by finns on all sides, reverting to their pre-christian deities for help. I imagine any surviving estonian communities taking up worshipping finnish gods, but with a bit of regional variety.
I could imagine them digging up stories of Taara, Uku, Kalevipoeg and Suur Tõll (Tõll the Great). The latter two would be fairytales told to children to make them sleep – tales of benevolent giants who protected their old homeland, creating landmarks wherever they roamed. The first two...Uku or „Taevataat“ would just be a regional names for Ukko, the finnish god of sky and thunder. However I can imagine Taara gaining a sort of „patron god of estonians“ reputation, because he is both the only „old god“ most estonians are bound to know the name of and the only one not to have a direct counterpart in finnish mythology (according to wikipedia the finnish tribe of Tavastia worshipped Taara, but it’s pretty safe to say that the estonian refugees would not know that). They would have to reinvent the mythology around Taara, because there’s not much known about WHO he was or WHAT he did – if we’re very lucky some of the survivors might remember from school that there was something about Taara falling from the sky, flying to Oesel or being a meteorite, but that’s all.

So all-in-all, my theory is that the estonian language survives in a few villages in Saimaa and Gogland, the latter of which estofinns helped to clean. They are magically, religiosly, genetically and culturally very similar to finns, being set apart mainly by their language, history and Taara-worship.

As for how believable it would be to retake Estonia – that depends on how safe bogs and mires would be. The country may be flat and forested, but one fifth of it is basically wetlands. IF estonian culture survives another 50 years or so I could imagine them (with some help) retaking Lahemaa bog and some other national parks, building wooden fortresses on bog islands like they did in the pagan times. You can get materials for weapons and bullets from refining bog iron, as well as raise a bit of crops and do hunter-gathering for birds, amphibians, berries or edible plants. At winter when the bogs ice over you could have scouts on skiis scanning the swamp for beasts.

I reckon there would’ve been a lot of attempts to survive on bog islands when The Rash broke out – running for the swamps is sort of a historical defence tactic it would seem, but I do not think any of them would’ve made it to year 90, because modern estonians are not used to living in isolated wilderness like that. The Y90 estofinns stand a better chance because they’ve been living in Saimaa for generations and can take care of themselves (as well as having a far larger percentage of immunes).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:03:58 PM by Cliodna »
Fluent: :estonia: :uk:
Fluent if I hadn't slept through class: :germany: :finland:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #829 on: August 12, 2015, 12:29:54 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonian_neopaganism

The countries of the comic would also, theoretically, have little impetus to return to their "traditional" religion but they did anyway. So current trends probably don't mean much with regards to the post-apocalyptic.

Even Iceland, where modern paganism seems to be actually making some progress, it is still confined to a very small percentage of the population. Nothing we have been told in the comic so far, barring people starting to actually see spirits and stuff, can actually account for such a sudden and decisive change in belief.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #830 on: August 13, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonian_neopaganism
Even Iceland, where modern paganism seems to be actually making some progress, it is still confined to a very small percentage of the population. Nothing we have been told in the comic so far, barring people starting to actually see spirits and stuff, can actually account for such a sudden and decisive change in belief.

90 years of a plague that has an obvious supernatural component?  What's more interesting is why the Swedes DON'T believe in this stuff.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #831 on: August 13, 2015, 11:38:54 AM »
Well that's the thing though. While the plague has a definite supernatural component, we have yet to see anyone in the comic treating it as supernatural. Instead the line of thought is that the gods came in and protected their chosen people - at least, that's the Icelander version of things.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #832 on: August 14, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »
Well that's the thing though. While the plague has a definite supernatural component, we have yet to see anyone in the comic treating it as supernatural. Instead the line of thought is that the gods came in and protected their chosen people - at least, that's the Icelander version of things.

We might not see that, but anyone with more than a middle-school grasp of biology should be thinking that.  The energy requirements alone mean that it can't be straight biology.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Void Slayer

« Reply #833 on: August 15, 2015, 12:20:10 AM »
90 years of a plague that has an obvious supernatural component?  What's more interesting is why the Swedes DON'T believe in this stuff.

Just because the plague or grosslings are supernatural doesn't mean the solution has to be, or that gods are real.

They could easily think that the other nations are just misinterpreting a natural force that is just misunderstood.  A force they think can not be controlled or something.  I don't know.

HarrisWilkens

« Reply #834 on: August 19, 2015, 12:51:32 AM »
Do you all think the extreme heat would affect the afflicted? Would they not like it? Also, the dry land of the desert? Has that been discussed before? I live in the vast deserty portion of Arizona, and the heat and aridity is not friendly to organic life not native to it.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #835 on: August 19, 2015, 02:31:34 AM »
That's a good question. I have wondered the same thing about our deserts here in Australia, especially the dry ones where it gets blazing hot by day then below freezing at night.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #836 on: August 19, 2015, 04:31:15 AM »
Do you all think the extreme heat would affect the afflicted? Would they not like it? Also, the dry land of the desert? Has that been discussed before? I live in the vast deserty portion of Arizona, and the heat and aridity is not friendly to organic life not native to it.
Actually, that has been a subject that has been discussed on and off this entire thread, though I could be wrong and it has only been discussed once before. Here are my two cents on the matter:

I'm going to guess that the Rash thrives at the same temperature as humans, namely 37 degrees celcius. If that is the case, the enzymes in the Rash would denature at a temperature higher than that. This may mean that in regions that this is true, the Rash would be completely eradicated in summer, making it the safest season. However, this isn't taking into account the possible supernatural properties of the Rash that may render this guess moot.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

microFerret

• Preferred pronouns: is, hic, ille, ipse, idem
« Reply #837 on: August 19, 2015, 02:24:25 PM »
I don't know if anyone has brought this up before, but I would consider Spitzbergen and Jan Mayen as possible candidates. On Spitzbergen, the combination of cold climate, extremely sparse habitation, and near total isolation would certainly make it a likely candidate for survival. In addition, it has the Global Seed Vault, which would certainly come in handy for a new community of survivors. The other option, provided it is still accessible after the breakdown of society, would be Jan Mayen. There are (as far as I know) no permanent inhabitants of the island, but it would be a great place for survivors to seek refuge. First , it contains a meteorological and radio communications station, which would be extremely valuable in helping survivors communicate with any surviving societies. It also has an airstrip, Jan Mayensfield, and the mountain Beerenberg could potentially serve as a local stronghold should sea beasts become too troublesome. It gets 683 mm precipitation yearly, which is pretty nice as farming and drinking water are concerned (though it gets limited sunlight, so that's a potential downside). It's not huge, but considering that the Danes packed ten thousand into Bornholm, it should be plenty large enough for a self-sustaining society. The average yearly temperature is just barely below freezing, but it doesn't actually fluctuate that much month to month. Overall, I'd say these are certainly good options, and while they're remote enough that the average person wouldn't think of them or be able to get there, it would only take one boatload of people to decide to flee north to have a viable colony at either of these islands.

Aierdome

• Ranger
  • The Emperor Protects.
« Reply #838 on: August 19, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »
I don't know if anyone has brought this up before, but I would consider Spitzbergen and Jan Mayen as possible candidates. On Spitzbergen, the combination of cold climate, extremely sparse habitation, and near total isolation would certainly make it a likely candidate for survival. In addition, it has the Global Seed Vault, which would certainly come in handy for a new community of survivors. The other option, provided it is still accessible after the breakdown of society, would be Jan Mayen. There are (as far as I know) no permanent inhabitants of the island, but it would be a great place for survivors to seek refuge. First , it contains a meteorological and radio communications station, which would be extremely valuable in helping survivors communicate with any surviving societies. It also has an airstrip, Jan Mayensfield, and the mountain Beerenberg could potentially serve as a local stronghold should sea beasts become too troublesome. It gets 683 mm precipitation yearly, which is pretty nice as farming and drinking water are concerned (though it gets limited sunlight, so that's a potential downside). It's not huge, but considering that the Danes packed ten thousand into Bornholm, it should be plenty large enough for a self-sustaining society. The average yearly temperature is just barely below freezing, but it doesn't actually fluctuate that much month to month. Overall, I'd say these are certainly good options, and while they're remote enough that the average person wouldn't think of them or be able to get there, it would only take one boatload of people to decide to flee north to have a viable colony at either of these islands.
This makes a lot of sense, especially your analysis of Jan Mayen island. The question, of course, is whether the surviving community would be lucky enough to have among them someone who knows anything about farming. I presume that large reason for Bornholm's fortunate fate was having farmers - like Michael Madsen's sister - and farming equipment, meaning that they knew how to feed themselves without imported food. I presume transporting a tractor with all those add-ons on a small boat would be somewhat... cumbersome ;) , but even if we settled on even medieval farming methods, whether there'd be anyone with knowledge of how to plant crops and such is a question in and on itself. If not, then such a well-willing community may end up short on food, especially if they had only one boat available for fishing (there are fish there, righ?) and sea bests near by.

This being said, if such a community knew how to farm, I'd give this idea definite thumbs up.
When I think of deep psychological insight, I think of three names: Freud; Jung; Grignr.
-----
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

microFerret

• Preferred pronouns: is, hic, ille, ipse, idem
« Reply #839 on: August 19, 2015, 05:35:06 PM »
This makes a lot of sense, especially your analysis of Jan Mayen island. The question, of course, is whether the surviving community would be lucky enough to have among them someone who knows anything about farming. I presume that large reason for Bornholm's fortunate fate was having farmers - like Michael Madsen's sister - and farming equipment, meaning that they knew how to feed themselves without imported food. I presume transporting a tractor with all those add-ons on a small boat would be somewhat... cumbersome ;) , but even if we settled on even medieval farming methods, whether there'd be anyone with knowledge of how to plant crops and such is a question in and on itself. If not, then such a well-willing community may end up short on food, especially if they had only one boat available for fishing (there are fish there, righ?) and sea bests near by.

This being said, if such a community knew how to farm, I'd give this idea definite thumbs up.

Yeah, I was definitely thinking about that, and that is certainly one issue that would have to be dealt with. On the other hand, I would guess the most likely scenario is that a large ship of some sort would be on the open ocean when the Rash struck and decided to head somewhere known not to be infected. In the case that there was no one on the ship who knew how to farm, I'd say they still would probably have enough supplies to last them long enough to figure it out (as I'm pretty sure plenty of isolated communities in the Known World didn't have any farms to start out with, and they didn't have an entire ship worth of supplies). In any scenario, I think it's likely that the sea beasts/leviathans probably weren't much of an issue until after humans got the Rash, seeing as there are so much fewer whales than people, and Jan Mayen isn't near any major whale migratory routes. Jan Mayen is whale central! Oh well. But I guess at least whales can't come inland, and maybe that puts it at an advantage since anyone there would know exactly what time of year the leviathans would come, and could plan a fishing season with that in mind? It is, in fact, located on top of a major fishery, so that might not be that bad if the leviathans' migrations are consistent with those of regular whales. Let's also not forget Spitzbergen, which does actually have permanent inhabitants and the seed vault. I will continue to advocate for Jan Mayen, however, because it's basically been my strange idea of a tropical temperate subarctic arctic island paradise since I was little. Even if it wasn't colonized from the beginning, it has strategic importance that makes me think that Iceland should have colonized it by now: Long-distance radio equipment, an airfield, geothermal energy, and a choke hold on leviathan migrations. Seriously, what's not to like?