Poll

What do you think the state of things is beyond Scandinavia?

More of the Silent World: Trolls, beasts and giants everywhere
7 (16.7%)
A few groups of humans, but mostly wilderness
14 (33.3%)
USA and other superpowers are relatively intact
0 (0%)
Scorched Earth: nothing, not even grosslings, is alive
0 (0%)
Plenty of places like Scandinavia, but isolated
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 03, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

Author Topic: Survivor communities outside the known world  (Read 230103 times)

BrainBlow

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Survivor communities outside the known world
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »
That, and i still dont see why coldness is a requierment to survival?
Because exposure to cold is what keeps trolls from going 24/7 nightmare march all year round, and it is what is used to cleanse infected areas.

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2014, 08:42:25 PM »
If they can get cold they also get hot, and blistering heat is very deadly, sunburns can become very serious, and maybe trolls can suffer sunstrokes if their brains function proparly.
(Also im really into the idea of named giants, awesome!)
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

BrainBlow

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
If they can get cold they also get hot, and blistering heat is very deadly, sunburns can become very serious, and maybe trolls can suffer sunstrokes if their brains function proparly.
Possibly, but trolls may have way more options to deal with heat than they do with cold. And even in the cold, we know giants are capable of moving around.
And anywhere too hot will be somewhere humans can't survive with the sudden complete collapse of human civilization.
But I can tell you where you're guaranteed to find trolls in such hot lands: Just about every source of fresh water available.
In hot countries you'll usually find civilization along the coasts or rivers, while the rest is mostly empty wilderness.

Raya

« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »
And in the midst of this terrible, terrible disaster, one question arises: Are you drift-compatible?

I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to Iceland unleashing its cat jaegar on the Silent World!

"Strong national identity" and "Britain" are not two things I expect to see in the same sentence, actually.

You'd be surprised. Just because we're not saluting a flag every day doesn't mean the British identity isn't a deeply held one. Just look at any expat community. Mainly though I think it's a thin line between 'strong national identity' and 'refusing to adapt to any foreign society because we think they're mad'.

Okay i dont want to be "that guy" but this line bothers me a lot.

The Scandinavians have left a very strong imprint on Britain thanks to years of settlement/invasion. Centuries later it's still around today, such as place names, family names and language. The Lincolnshire dialect especially has a lot of words that are extremely close, to the point it's said that you could probably carry out a conversation with a Swede using it. Plus with genetics there have been centuries of exchange between the two, and studies have shown that there's a strong link. I'm also speaking from experience here; I'm as English as afternoon tea, yet when I go abroad I'm often mistaken for a Scandinavian. Maybe it's the hair, I dunno. I had a very bizarre encounter in Spain of all places when a woman came up to me and start talking in a foreign language. I apologised and said I didn't understand her. She replied in perfect English "Oh, sorry, I thought you were Swedish!" and walked off!

The Britain-Scandinavian genetic link isn't as strong as, say, Sweden-Finland or Norway-Iceland, but it's still there. Funnily enough the greatest concentrations of Nordic genes are in Scotland and the North East, which also would geographically be amongst the best places to survive the outbreak...

Well, cold.... I suppose it's not particularly warm in the usual sense of the word but to an Icelander it would seldom be particularly cold. The point about animals might be true, but in a country with a higher population density than Germany and France the primary spreaders would be humans.

I'd imagine a scenario where some Britons might survive like the Hotakainens - living as boat people in the relatively calm Irish Sea before seeking isolated islands on the coast of Scotland.

The problem with the climate is that it's horrendously changeable to the point that you don't know what the season will be like until it happens. Winter can be cold enough to cause 4ft of snow, or mild enough to make the flowers bloom early because they think it's spring. Summer can be a total washout with torrential floods or hot enough to melt the asphalt on the roads. I imagine this causes boom and bust years with the monsters, with particularly bad winters killing off large numbers and preventing the spread, and mild winters causing plagues of them the following year.

Your Hotakainens comment has given me the fantastic image of a literal floating city around the Isle of Wight. Each year the IoW holds a massive sailing regatta and it's sails as far as the eye can see, so it would make a lot of sense for people abandon the land en masse and form a floating settlement. It also raises the question of what's going on in the Channel Islands, since they'd be a very good place to hunker down and survive the apocalypse.

You know that stereotype of Brits always burning in the sun? I imagine the trolls all become tomatoes come June time. "Ay lad, it's the first signs of summer: the swallows are nesting and the trolls are turning red!"

Glad you like the naming idea! Since some trolls and giants would be too large/dangerous to kill, I'd imagine that communities would eventually give nicknames to certain ones. "Careful, Grendel was seen down near the woods yesterday." "The Old Matron is a lot more active this season, I don't like it."

You can guarantee that, somewhere in post-Rash Britain, some poor castle is having to deal with a 90 year old giant nicknamed Mr Blobby and nobody remembers why it's called that...

tesseract

« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »
I think the Britons might be dealing with a serious case of Plot. The webcomic would be too complicated if they make contact with the Nordics, so they won't for now...
I can speak English (natively) and Spanish (más o menos).

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2014, 05:09:40 PM »
I think the Britons might be dealing with a serious case of Plot. The webcomic would be too complicated if they make contact with the Nordics, so they won't for now...

Luckily for Sarah Palin, Alaska has no such problems.

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »
The biggest problem with the idea of Brintons surviving in any numbers is our leaky-as-a-sieve border security, and the snake-tardy reactions of our government and civil service. We depend to a great deal on tourism and international trade - far more so than the Nordic nations - and are very close to France and Ireland. If there was a major panic in Europe we would be inundated by refugees, and by the time the authorities had closed the borders it would be too late - and more would still be leaking in by boat.

The other big problem is that Britain is not cold by the standards of the Nordic nations! In the south temperatures stay well above freezing except for a few frosts at night in late autumn, and a few days in January - and even that can't be guaranteed. It's better in Scotland, but even there it's warmer than most areas in Scandinavia.

Finally: The vast majority of Britons live in cities and are heavily dependant on a working transport infrastructure to deliver their food. While we still grow the large majority of our essential foodstuffs some items (such as canned meat and fish) are imported. Our government would blockade shipping - too late, but they would try - and those items would be used up. We would cope on "short rations", and then the rash disease would break out, our transport infrastructure would collapse and already hungry city dwellers would starve and riot - and the survivors would collapse into comas, mutate, and go on to wipe out the pockets of survivors living on farms - and before long the farm animals would join them. And there would be no respite, no drop in temperature to force the trolls and giants into hibernation, no chance for survivors to erect defences, learn to use guns, find guns and ammo dumps and break in to them.

As Minna has mentioned in the comments, there would be some people in the north of Scotland with sufficient natural defences to survive (plus a few naval bases they might loot for weapons), but they would be in serious danger and would, if they were lucky, ask to emigrate further north and become absorbed into Nordic society.
My one-and-only: :uk:

Qukkeli

« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2014, 03:32:09 AM »
So, the language tree suggests that there are surviving estonians somewhere. Probably in one of the islands?

BrainBlow

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2014, 04:54:57 AM »
So, the language tree suggests that there are surviving estonians somewhere. Probably in one of the islands?
Possibly on Osel?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2014, 05:31:20 AM »
Possibly on Osel?
Saaremaa and Hiiumaa are quite unmistakably marked as Silent on the world map. There are a couple cleansed islands in front of Skutskär, if some Estonians were forced to flee their original country but wanted to settle on a nearby stepping stone to taking it back later, my bet would be on those. However, considering the ship traffic on the Baltic Sea nowadays and how popular (cheap) Baltic crews are, I'ld consider the possibility of them turning into marine nomads, too.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2014, 07:37:54 AM »

Even after the apocalypse, Eesti cannot into nordics.
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

Peeves

• "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »
But even better, try to imagine this scenario:
Monsoon season separating Japan from the rest of the world in the time period where the rash broke down civilization, thus hindering any and all potential infected refugees. A third Kamikaze, to be specific.
With magic then coming about later, you can imagine a crazy strong revival of Shintoism in Japan. That would be... interesting.
All famine aside, Japan would then in the first few years after the cataclysm face two options:
-Completely closing off from the rest of the world, not even permitting exploration of neighboring countries.
-Searching outward, possibly out of desperation for overpopulation issues and famine, and then learning the truth of the rash sickness that way.
Human curiosity suggests the latter, though how it would play out is anyone's guess.

wow. one second... wow. I LOVE THIS! GENIUS! Japan would totally recluse and develop their own magic! sorry, im from the RPG thread, and I think this could totally work as like an alternate type of mage.
Father: Son, don't let them tell you that we don't have swag.
Son: But Dad--
Father: No, Son...
Father: SHHHHHHhhhhh...
Father: ...we do have swag... we do...
Caller: 911, what's your emergency?
Son: MY DAD IS HAVING A SWAG ATTACK!
Son: IM ALONE WITH HIM AND VERY AFRAID!

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »
wow. one second... wow. I LOVE THIS! GENIUS! Japan would totally recluse and develop their own magic! sorry, im from the RPG thread, and I think this could totally work as like an alternate type of mage.

Shintoistic mages would be awefull. For the roleplaying we should wait a little if we get to know any more information about Japan. On the other hand I think that Minna wouldn't have mentioned, that Japan and Madagaskar (???) closed their borders very quick. But it has been discussed a lot already whether the Japanese could have survived so I won't start the discussion all over again ;).
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

BrainBlow

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »
Shintoistic mages would be awefull. For the roleplaying we should wait a little if we get to know any more information about Japan. On the other hand I think that Minna wouldn't have mentioned, that Japan and Madagaskar (???) closed their borders very quick. But it has been discussed a lot already whether the Japanese could have survived so I won't start the discussion all over again ;).
It is canon that Japan closed its borders right after Iceland did, then followed by Madagascar.

Raya

« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2014, 03:09:19 PM »

I've been thinking about how magic would work outside the Nordic countries. Magic and spirits exist, so are presumably worldwide. Magic users would likely be based on their culture's opinion of magic. Japan for instance would have heavily spirit based magic, others could lean towards sigils etc.

Icelandic mages get their powers from the Norse gods. Does this mean then that other ancient gods are now back? Are Egyptians now reworshiping Osiris and Thoth? Or are the Norse the only ones, and other cultures are seeing them as their own gods?