Author Topic: TV and Movie Thread  (Read 33339 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: TV and Movie Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2015, 01:24:47 PM »
Exactly.  I'm about to go see "The Imitation Game," right now, actually.
I haven't seen that one.  They have a weird sense of humor, though.  Watch No Country for Old Men, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, or Raising Arizona.  Those are three I like the most that they bone.

Just watched Mulan with my brother.  That movie is awesome, haha. :D

I've seen a small part of O Brother Where Art Thou, didn't know that was the Coen brothers. I didn't really get that one either, but I know my mom's a fan of the movie so I should probably watch it with her. Might like it if I see the whole thing.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2015, 02:41:31 PM »
Posting that here because…

Sunflower > did you get my answer to your pm about movie recommendations?
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »
Posting that here because…

Sunflower > did you get my answer to your pm about movie recommendations?

I did, and thank you!  You have great taste!  I look forward to viewing lots of these with my Foreign Movie Club.  (Which is one other person, but it's a start.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2015, 05:53:13 PM »
Just watched "The Imitation Game."
Pretty good movie, I thought.  Not really what I was expecting, from the posters, but pretty good nonetheless. 
Feel free to PM.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2015, 03:38:08 AM »
*belatedly joins the Adventure Time party*

Adventure Time is the most awesome cartoon ever! A friend of mine gave me an AT t-shirt for Christmas and I just can't deal. As for movies, I don't really remember which movies I watched this year (bad short-time memory shhh), but I can provide you with a list of my favourite movies c:

Across the Universe (2007)

It's a musical. All the music, without exception, is songs by the Beatles. And to top it all off, the movie is really weird and trippy, which is excactly the kind of movie I like best.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

This is the weirdest musical ever and it's awesome.

Rise of the Guardians (2012) and How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

I love animated films, and these two are my absolute favourites!

Not a very long list, but I'm very easily impressed, so other than these few all the movies I've ever liked just kind of end up being equally good in my head cx I watch a lot of tv-series, though.

Gilmore Girls

The first tv-series I ever fell in love with. I have watched all seven seasons two and a half time. Yeah. I really like it. (Wow, now that I started thinking of it, I really want to watch it again). There are so many reasons why I love this one. It's different than most tv-shows because it's not full of violence or exaggerated drama. It's just really nice and warm and funny c:

Skins

I watched the first two seasons and loved it, but after that it's not quite as good. In season 3 there's a new "generation", so all the characters I loved dissappeared. I still recommend the series, though. Although the third generation sucks. Don't watch that, it's not worth your time.

Sherlock

Y'all know what it's about. Sherlock and John solve mysteries and everyone thinks they're gay and it's fabulous.

Supernatural

I just really really like Castiel

Teen Wolf

Wow the special effects are really bad wow. I basically just watch the show for Stiles (I'm not saying the show is bad. It's just that Stiles is so amazingly dorky and sarcastic and perfect)

And there are probably at least ten more shows that I'm forgetting about but these are my top five (not ecessarily in that order)

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2015, 05:23:03 AM »
Just got home from the cinema: saw 'Big Hero 6' and 'Into the Woods'.
BH6 was visually lovely, the story could've been.....more..and some of the characters needed to be....more.... But overall it was enjoyable.

Into the Woods though...oh my god. I didn't like it at all, and I LOVE musicals and fairy tale satires. The music was nice, but it all sounded the same and got boring very quickly and then after being boring it just got really irritating. (Plus the style of rhyming the songs used rubbed me up the wrong way a bit...so many rhymes in a row...) I think the songs needed some more editing for the silver screen: they were very long, went nowhere, and the actors were very static during their songs, which made them feel like they dragged on for eternity. ;___; and THEN, there were songs that could've been fantastically entertaining if they'd pushed things up a notch eg: the two princes' song on the waterfalls. That could've been hilarious.
I found that a lot of the singing was very in your face at times, especially with Meryl Streep and the two kids. Now, I respect Meryl a lot but...I really don't like her movies? And this one was the worst! I couldn't see her character, I could only see Meryl, dancing around weirdly asking for an acting award....
The one thing I did like (aside from Emily Blunt, she was awesome) was the sets? I really liked how everything looked, but I don't think that the sets were used to their full potential? That's it, I think that's what bugged me throughout the film: there was potential, but it wasn't achieved? Half the dialogue was exposition that we already knew, and, I get that exposition happens a lot in stage plays to fill in stuff that happens off-stage, but in this film it was just clunky and blagh.....
Like, a lot of folks left the theatre?! (A bit rude)
Hmmmm...It was ok, but...nnnnnnnnggghyeh? I wanted it to be really good but it was just ok. :/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:08:16 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2015, 06:01:42 AM »
I haven't seen Into the Woods, but I understand what you mean with the sets. I've worked with scenography for a play before, and as a result I always pay extra attention to that when I'm watching movies and such. It's just incredibly frustrating when the director doesn't understand how to make the best possible use of a beautiful set :C

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2015, 06:20:07 AM »
I haven't seen Into the Woods, but I understand what you mean with the sets. I've worked with scenography for a play before, and as a result I always pay extra attention to that when I'm watching movies and such. It's just incredibly frustrating when the director doesn't understand how to make the best possible use of a beautiful set :C
Hehehe I do the same thing X'D in animations too I look at the backgrounds and try guessing the frames per second and how many layers and stuff, and then for live action I just think about the set dressing and lighting... That would be such a cool thing to try doing... Set dressing...
My sister is really into musicals, and does lots of local/school productions, so now I appreciate all the choreography and the vocal pecking order and acting n stuff...
One thing I always hear about acting in musicals is "push and exaggerate everything until the director tells you to turn it down" (which can be applied to art too!) and somehow the cast of ITW weren't pushing their roles for the screen as far as they might for the stage? But that might be just me :/
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2015, 09:07:41 AM »
Hehehe I do the same thing X'D in animations too I look at the backgrounds and try guessing the frames per second and how many layers and stuff, and then for live action I just think about the set dressing and lighting... That would be such a cool thing to try doing... Set dressing...
My sister is really into musicals, and does lots of local/school productions, so now I appreciate all the choreography and the vocal pecking order and acting n stuff...
One thing I always hear about acting in musicals is "push and exaggerate everything until the director tells you to turn it down" (which can be applied to art too!) and somehow the cast of ITW weren't pushing their roles for the screen as far as they might for the stage? But that might be just me :/

I haven't heard the term "set dressing" before. Is a set dresser the one who designs the set, or does he/she/they just put everything where it's supposed to be (you know, hanging curtains, moving furniture etc)? I tried both things during that project, and it's super fun and interesting! It's really tiring, though...

I don't know enough about animation to notice stuff like that, but I really wish I did :/

Varjohaltia

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2015, 09:59:43 AM »
From Finland, there's also Edvin Laine's Unknown Soldier.
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

Armchair Survivalist

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2015, 10:17:44 AM »
From Finland, there's also Edvin Laine's Unknown Soldier.
That movie just about explains everything you need to know about the Finnish mentality. Great war movie as well.
Fluent: :sweden: :usa: :uk:
Understand: :norway: :denmark:
Read better than speak: :germany:

DB (f.k.a. DaveBro)

• Ranger
  • Filk, flute, guitar, NwoC
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »
To start the Norwegian discussion, I'll throw in "Troll Hunter", 2010, written and directed by André Øvredal. 

So come on, folks--there must be more than that!
Fluent:  :usa:      Fair:  :norway:    BTE:  :france:
           Chapter Breaks Survived:  
                            :hat:
            :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
            :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:
            :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:
            :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:    (5-20)

Varjohaltia

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2015, 12:40:30 AM »
To start the Norwegian discussion, I'll throw in "Troll Hunter", 2010, written and directed by André Øvredal. 

So come on, folks--there must be more than that!

I actually haven't seen that, but I have seen Norwegian Ninja. I'm old enough that the context actually made a lot of sense to me too <.<

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2015, 04:59:18 AM »
I actually haven't seen that, but I have seen Norwegian Ninja. I'm old enough that the context actually made a lot of sense to me too <.<
Is this the one called "Commander Treholt and the Ninja Troop"? Otherwise I haven't heard of it.

Varjohaltia

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2015, 08:21:15 AM »
Is this the one called "Commander Treholt and the Ninja Troop"? Otherwise I haven't heard of it.

One and the same. It was even subtitled, instead of the usual dubbing, which I dislike.

...I think this his diverged from the thread title quite a bit, though.