Author Topic: TV and Movie Thread  (Read 33357 times)

soggy

• Super-Newbie
Re: The Rain on Netflix : The closest we can come to an SSSS series?
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2018, 01:18:15 AM »
Yeah Stalker is fairly obscure but it captured the feeling of the zone better than the book did imo. Both the movie and the book are great, I prefer the book for Red as a character, but I prefer the atmosphere of the movie.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2018, 04:53:11 AM »
Not so much, to the best of my knowledge it never got much traction outside the USSR and isn't really well known.

Funny you say that, I always thought it was a cult classic. While I am Eastern European, I actually learned about Stalker from the English-speaking side of the internet. Meanwhile, I know nothing about Annihilation.

ETA: Okay, I watched the Annihilation trailer, and I'm offended you even suggest it's inspired from Roadside Picnic, let alone an "adaptation". wtf? You could say the lush deviant natural landscape is inspired by Snail on the Slope if you absolutely want a Strugatsky shoutout, but there's literally nothing that connects Annihilation to Roadside Picnic except "a small crew goes in a dangerous, alien territory" which is just standard sci-fi fare.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:05:12 AM by Sc0ut »

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »
Funny you say that, I always thought it was a cult classic. While I am Eastern European, I actually learned about Stalker from the English-speaking side of the internet. Meanwhile, I know nothing about Annihilation.

ETA: Okay, I watched the Annihilation trailer, and I'm offended you even suggest it's inspired from Roadside Picnic, let alone an "adaptation". wtf? You could say the lush deviant natural landscape is inspired by Snail on the Slope if you absolutely want a Strugatsky shoutout, but there's literally nothing that connects Annihilation to Roadside Picnic except "a small crew goes in a dangerous, alien territory" which is just standard sci-fi fare.

To be fair, I never said it was a direct adaptation, just that it was the closest thing to a big screen adaptation that I've seen. if I were to really get into the gritty details I'd say it's more an "americanization" of the premise of the Visit. Apparently there's a book though, I think I'll hunt down a copy and see how it is.

And yeah, Stalker has something of a cult following among certain people here in the U.S. due to the success of the Metro and Stalker video games.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »
I learned about Stalker from having bought a tape and more recently a DVD of Solaris. While the movie may convey the ambiance it doesn't even come close to portraying the leathal-ness of the zone. I've read Roadside Picnic and that deadliness is a theme underlying the whole story. Where ventures into the zone whether by the official scientific people or the stalkers, if you make a wrong move you're dead. Weird, bizarre, strange, yep but the danger, it just doesn't get it. MHO

And a word about Solaris. I saw it when it was first released on a "big screen". A full size CinemaScope screen, which was about the same size that an iMax screen is today. There were only about 20 people in the theater and with out the usual audience crowd as a distraction the ambiance of that file was overwhelming.
But there is one scene that was cut from both the tape and the DVD. I'd love to find a "directors copy" of the movie with that clip still in it.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »
The thing with Stalker is that as the movie was first being made and almost to completion, there was an error in the development of the film that basically made all that had been directed so far unusable, which almost led to the film being cancelled - as Soviet films at the time weren't allowed to go over budget for any reason - with one notable exception, which Tarkovsky took advantage of:the film was re-written as a two-part story, and so they received new budget for the "second" part, and then proceeded to shoot the entire film with that new budget.

The result was by necessity extremely minimalistic, and while Stalker is highly praised in cinephilic circles, I feel it's not a movie that really reflects the full extense of Tarkovsky's skill as a director; of all of his movies that I've seen, I think "The Mirror" remains the best at showcasing Tarkovsky's talent, even if it's not an easy film to follow [even by the standards of Tarkovsky's films in general]. If someone wanted to get "into" Tarkovsky, I'd advise them to first watch "Ivan's Childhood" as an introduction, and if they like it, proceed with "The Mirror", and from there the rest of his filmography.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2018, 05:16:11 PM »
I'll have to see if those are around for viewing. Hopefully with subs.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

soggy

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2018, 08:35:04 PM »
I learned about Stalker from having bought a tape and more recently a DVD of Solaris. While the movie may convey the ambiance it doesn't even come close to portraying the leathal-ness of the zone. I've read Roadside Picnic and that deadliness is a theme underlying the whole story. Where ventures into the zone whether by the official scientific people or the stalkers, if you make a wrong move you're dead. Weird, bizarre, strange, yep but the danger, it just doesn't get it. MHO

While Stalker doesn't outright present the brutality of the zone like Roadside Picnic does, I believe the tensity portrayed in the meatgrinder and when the writer chooses to stray from the path imply that danger without any outright death needed. The combination with the claustrophobic shots and eerie soundtrack or lack thereof gives you the sensation that they could die at any second. 

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
Avengers: Endgame SPOILER ZONE
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2019, 03:45:15 AM »
Since a great many people have watched Avengers: Endgame lately, and many Minnions among them, I've decided to create this little safe zone for those of us who would like to discuss the movie in its full spoilery glory without worrying about those who don't.

Everybody who watched Endgame is welcome. If you didn't, well, nobody's gonna throw you out, but remember that you stay at your own risk.

I hope for an interesting discussion!

Nellie McEnt

• Scout
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they/he/it
Re: Avengers: Endgame SPOILER ZONE
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2019, 10:17:25 AM »
* Windy is a prophet, he predicted some stuff about Tony
* speaking of Tony...ashgasdghasg Tony!!
* ashaslghaslghasgdj Nat!!!!
* Steve got a peaceful death and a happy life, that's good
* I am going to miss the Tony and Peter dynamic ahhhhh
* SHURI DIDNT EVEN GET A LINE, THE COWARDS
* Captain Marvel is beautiful and capable and I love her
* Nebula killing Past Nebula should have made Nebula immediately vanished, but whatever, plotholes I guess
* I personally think it is a good thing that they didn't bring Loki back for the 3rd time
* ohmygods Thor
* I have nothing else to say about Thor
* of course Steve is worthy...but is Captain Marvel?!
* TONY HAS A DAUGHTER I ALMOST FORGOT AJHSKJGHS
* Okay, I think it was really weird and bad character writing to have the generally morally pure Clint go on a sudden huge killing spree and then revert to being good almost immediately and none of his friends are even upset at him??
* I guess that's all. I liked it, good movie.
Speaks: 🇺🇸/🇬🇧
Learning (and not particularly good at): 🇨🇳, Latin
carpe diem

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2019, 11:54:41 AM »
* Windy is a prophet, he predicted some stuff about Tony
Next time we should ask him about lottery numbers.  ;D

* SHURI DIDNT EVEN GET A LINE, THE COWARDS
If they were to give every character the screentime they were due, the movie would have lasted for six hours instead of three. The missed opportunities are regrettable, but it's long enough as it is.

* Captain Marvel is beautiful and capable and I love her
Oh yes, she is. She's more capable than the entire Avengers team combined, and it's not necessarily a good thing...

* Nebula killing Past Nebula should have made Nebula immediately vanished, but whatever, plotholes I guess
No plot hole, it was explained several times that changes in the past don't affect the present. As I understand it, it's less "travelling to the past" and more "travelling to an alternate reality that is currently at different point of time than ours".

* ohmygods Thor
I personally think fat Thor is one of the best things to have happened to the MCU.

* TONY HAS A DAUGHTER I ALMOST FORGOT AJHSKJGHS
I KNOW RIGHT!?

* Okay, I think it was really weird and bad character writing to have the generally morally pure Clint go on a sudden huge killing spree and then revert to being good almost immediately and none of his friends are even upset at him??
He was insanely traumatized at the time, but yeah, I suppose it could have been handled better. Then again, it would make the movie a fair bit longer...

I have a crazy conspiracy theory. Remember the song that played during the credits of the first Iron Man movie? It was "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath. And what's so special about it? Well, the third verse of the song contains words "[...] he travelled time for the future of mankind".

THE CREDITS OF THE FIRST MCU MOVIE FORESHADOW ENDGAME!

(...Yeah, probably not. But it's a fun coincidence.)

Nellie McEnt

• Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2019, 01:48:16 PM »
Oh yes, she is. She's more capable than the entire Avengers team combined, and it's not necessarily a good thing...
Hmm, but she's also very awesome so I'm willing to forgive her ridiculous overpoweredness.

No plot hole, it was explained several times that changes in the past don't affect the present. As I understand it, it's less "travelling to the past" and more "travelling to an alternate reality that is currently at different point of time than ours".
Ah, okay, thank you! I guess I'm too blinded by my own previous understanding of time travel.

I have a crazy conspiracy theory. Remember the song that played during the credits of the first Iron Man movie? It was "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath. And what's so special about it? Well, the third verse of the song contains words "[...] he travelled time for the future of mankind".

THE CREDITS OF THE FIRST MCU MOVIE FORESHADOW ENDGAME!

(...Yeah, probably not. But it's a fun coincidence.)

Wow, I love that. It's probably just a coincidence, yeah, but it's still awesome!
carpe diem

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2019, 04:46:03 PM »
Hmm, but she's also very awesome so I'm willing to forgive her ridiculous overpoweredness.
Sure, she's very awesome visually, but with her level of raw power, I just don't see many opportunities for an interesting narrative, unless she has some hidden weakness or something. Or unless an exceptionally powerful villain (like, for example, Galactus) gets introduced, but then there might be no place for more mundane heroes in the MCU anymore.

Keep in mind that I haven't seen Captain Marvel and I hardly know anything about her personality beyond what was shown in Endgame (which is to say, not much). I'm just concerned about the future of the MCU. With a protagonist that powerful, one might start wondering what other heroes are even for.

Ah, okay, thank you! I guess I'm too blinded by my own previous understanding of time travel.
You're welcome. It's a neat way to avoid the most common pitfalls of time travel stories and keeps quite nicely to the core concept of quantum physics (still very far from what quantum physics is actually about, though). Plus, if you think of it that way, they have accidentally saved another timeline from Thanos.  ;D

Wow, I love that. It's probably just a coincidence, yeah, but it's still awesome!
Thank you!  :)

Nellie McEnt

• Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »
Sure, she's very awesome visually, but with her level of raw power, I just don't see many opportunities for an interesting narrative, unless she has some hidden weakness or something. Or unless an exceptionally powerful villain (like, for example, Galactus) gets introduced, but then there might be no place for more mundane heroes in the MCU anymore.

Keep in mind that I haven't seen Captain Marvel and I hardly know anything about her personality beyond what was shown in Endgame (which is to say, not much). I'm just concerned about the future of the MCU. With a protagonist that powerful, one might start wondering what other heroes are even for.

Oh heck, I meant other than visually (I mean, she's totally attractive but that's kind of completely beside the point when it comes to whether she's a good character). I did see Captain Marvel and I appreciate her personality and moral code and her development and conflicts in that.

Edit: Also, I think she did have enough flaws in Captain Marvel that didn't have to do with her superpowers.
BUT, all that said, she definitely doesn't seem to be flawed or have weaknesses on the same level that makes all the other heroes so interesting and good, so I totally take your point about the future of the franchise.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 05:50:50 PM by Nellie McEnt »
carpe diem

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2019, 05:55:47 PM »
Oh heck, I meant other than visually (I mean, she's totally attractive but that's kind of completely beside the point when it comes to whether she's a good character).
I meant more that she's spectacular with what she does. I don't find her exceptionally pretty myself.

Also, I think she did have enough flaws in Captain Marvel that didn't have to do with her superpowers.
I'm sure she did but is it enough to compensate for her effortlessly stomping everybody into the ground? I don't think so.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:06:34 PM by RanVor »

Nellie McEnt

• Scout
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2019, 11:28:30 PM »
I meant more that she's spectacular with what she does. I don't find her exceptionally pretty myself.
I'm sure she did but is it enough to compensate for her effortlessly stomping everybody into the ground? I don't think so.

Ah, okay--she sure is pretty spectacular at what she does, too! And yeah...I know what you mean...maybe she'll turn out to have some extra horrible, deep character flaw or her powers will start to fail or something...I guess we'll just have to see what happens!
carpe diem