Author Topic: TV and Movie Thread  (Read 32849 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: The Doctor Who Appreciation Thread
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
Oh, it's a thread for Daelf ! *Summons Daelf*

You never forget your first Doctor.
Well, my first Doctor was Christopher Eccleston, but "my" Doctor is definitively David Tennant. I remember having seen the first new season during a three days weekend ^^
I stopped watching one or two seasons ago I think. I might see them later, but I've slowly lost my interest. I'm sorry but I really don't like when Moffat takes all the decisions and some episodes have been awfully bad to my mind...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2016, 10:12:18 AM »
Well, my first Doctor was Christopher Eccleston, but "my" Doctor is definitively David Tennant.

Same for me :)

I only started whatching because of a friend who is a huge Chris Eccleston fan, but I liked David Tennant even better. I lost interest when the 11th doctor came, although I caught several newer episodes on TV by chance.
So I don't really count myself as a Whovian, but I have fond memories of the 9th and 10th doctor.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2016, 10:42:19 AM »
I lost interest when the 11th doctor came, although I caught several newer episodes on TV by chance.
I had troubles with Amy, as a character :/ It... hadn't helped.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:12:20 PM by Mélusine »
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2016, 01:00:41 PM »
I saw about half of David Tennant's run, haven't seen anything since.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2016, 02:26:08 PM »
You never forget your first Doctor.
TRUE, but not always it is your fav.
 my fav doctor was Matt Smith, second would be Christopher Eccleston (I wish He was a bit more and not only for one season.)

I didn't see all the doctors, but I remember the first doctor, who seemed so serious and kind of evil at first, but later seemed a cute grandpa like doctor, so he was cool.
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #140 on: August 31, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
I started watching when my family was living in Australia. For most of the time we were there the only shows on when we could watch them were for preschool-aged kids and the news. And, of course, Doctor Who. ;D We started watching partway through David Tennant's run (who will always be my favorite), and when we returned to the U.S., we watched the rest of it and got caught up on Christopher Eccleston's run. I dropped it partway through Peter Capaldi's run, but I've been thinking about picking it up again.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

JTS_

Re: TV and Movie Thread
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
So I've been going through the entire forum and there isn't a thread on documentaries. And I find it odd that we don't have a thread on it!

So here are a list of my favorite documentaries, and ones that can describe the complexity of reality.

Bitter Lake: A great documentary that describes how messed up the middle east is. And how it became that way thanks to Saudi Arabia, the US, the UK, and The Western World. By Adam Curtis.
(this is a foreign title but it still is in English)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4p8161_adam-curtis-bitter-lake-tr-eng-altyazi_school

The Century of The Self
Describes the current society and how Freudian ideas have lead us to a world where we love consumerism. Also by Adam Curtis
/>
The Fog of War: A great documentary on war, the Vietnam War, and humanity. (trailer only, you may have to rent it but it is a great documentary.
/>
The Unknown Known: A fantastic documentary on  9/11 and Donald Rumsfeld, and the greatest Foreign Policy disaster in human history. The Iraq War(again another trailer :( )
/>
The Thin Blue line: Considered by many to be the greatest documentary of all time. Delves deep into police and their place in society through a ongoing case.
/>
Aaaand that's it! Have a gander at these. Adam Curtis can be a bit hard to digest. But do enjoy feel free to share your favorite documentaries. :D

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2016, 11:53:23 PM »
Ohhhhhh yes thank you ! Well, first of all there's the documentaries I mentioned in the linguistics thread, such as:

The Linguists is about two linguists who document what they can of dying languages with only a handful of speakers left alive so that all knowledge of that language isn't gone completely after the language dies. It also explores the language mass extinction we're currently going through, with there currently being about 7,000 active languages but around half of those or more will be dead languages by the end of the century.

The Future is Wild is a really fun and moderately silly one. It's based on the subject of Speculative Evolution which is a really cool and fascinating subject. I think some of the animals they come up with and their names are a bit silly but that's half the fun of this documentary. Speculative anything is cool because in hundreds and thousands of years there's going to be nations, cultures, and languages that don't exist now but will exist and wow what will they be ?? And in millions of year there's going to be new animals and different geography and wow what's that going to be ??

And then of COURSE you can't go wrong with Planet Earth. Is anyone else REALLY pumped that they're making a second Planet Earth series ??

And oh boy speaking of classic and popular natural science documentaries you can't go wrong with, The Cosmos is definitely one of those. Both the classic 80's version with Carl Sagan and the more recent one with Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2018, 04:13:16 PM »
Thread has been dormant for more than a year, but eh, this is the place to post this stuff:

Top 5 movies I discovered in 2017

#5: Kuroneko
(1968, Kaneto Shinto, Japan, black and white)

Horror film about two women who after suffering and dying at the hand of a roaming band of soldiers, turn into cat-spirit seeking revenge on samurai…

#4: Adauchi
(1964, Tadashi Imai, Japan, black and white)

A samurai film very critical of the feodal honor system and of samurai mentality, showing through flashbacks how a poor samurai got himself involved in a doomed duel.

#3: The Manchurian Candidate
(1962, John Frankenheimer, US, black and white)

Psychological thriller and spy film about brain washing and mind control. Notable for co-starring Frank Sinatra.

#2: Arrival
(2016, Denis Villeneuve, US, color)

Science fiction thriller and drama, which I absolutely did not expect to like this much. This is the kind of film I wish Ridley Scott or Christopher Nolan were making.

#1: Sword of Doom
(1966, Kihachi Okamoto, Japan, black and white)

One of the most cruel and violent samurai films outthere; suffers a bit from a very abrupt ending and loose plot threads (the story was supposed to continue in a second film that was never made), but nonetheless worth the journey.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

PickleChip

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • c[]xxx[]:::::::::::::::>
  • Preferred pronouns: all of them, they're all mine now, i stole them
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2018, 06:58:19 AM »
Juniper, you mentioned "The Future is Wild" and just the biggest flashback of my childhood. I can still remember the theme, that was my favorite show when I was 10(? around there)!
If I'm both pan and genderfluid, then no matter who I like, it's gay and I think that's beautiful
Fluent: :usa:
Learning: all?
:chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Rhynerd

• Ranger
  • Positively Rhynerdy!
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2018, 04:33:27 AM »
Just read through all 9 pages and I haven't read Star Wars yet, so I think I'll just mention one movie I watched last year and one TV show I started to watch with my family around New Year's.

Movie:The Gunfighter (1950)
The movie is a western drama that follows Johnny Ringo, known here as Jimmy Ringo. This legendary gunslinger has grown weary of his reputation and now seeks to settle down with the woman he once married. Trouble is, she doesn't want to see him one bit, and even her small town has people hoping to gun down the legendary Jimmy Ringo.

While I haven't see too many westerns, this one is refreshingly quiet in comparison to the others. It's also one of the few films I've seen deconstruct the image of the wild west gunslinger.

TV Show: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
A comedy about a Jewish woman in the 1950's starting a career in standup comedy. I wonder if the second season is out yet...
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:
This fellow here Is responsible for my current avatar.

WeirdnessUnfolds

• Safe-Zone Citizen
The Rain on Netflix : The closest we can come to an SSSS series?
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »
So, there's this series called The Rain that just got released on Netflix. Taking place in a desolate scandinavia ravaged by a mysterious disease, a group of danish youths that earlier had taken refuge in a bunker gets out of it and explores Scandinavia looking for survivors. There are cool environments also used in SSSS that look slightly similar to how they look in the comics, although the apocalypse is a bit more recent. I have already seen the Öresund bridge and central Copenhagen, there might be stuff taking place in Sweden as well, not sure.
Native: :sweden:     Fluent : :uk: :sweden:  Comprehend fairly well, written and spoken :norway:  Comprehend fairly well, written: :denmark: :germany:

Chapter break survivor : :chap19::chap20::chap21:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
Re: The Rain on Netflix : The closest we can come to an SSSS series?
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2018, 04:51:51 PM »
hadn't heard of it. Probably is the closest we'll get.

Kinda like how Annihilation is the closest anyone's going to come to a big screen adaptation of Roadside Picnic.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2018, 09:54:21 PM »
hadn't heard of it. Probably is the closest we'll get.

Kinda like how Annihilation is the closest anyone's going to come to a big screen adaptation of Roadside Picnic.

So I take it you're not counting Stalker?
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2018, 11:57:04 PM »
So I take it you're not counting Stalker?

Not so much, to the best of my knowledge it never got much traction outside the USSR and isn't really well known.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.