Author Topic: Starting a comic. Thoughts?  (Read 2105 times)

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
Re: Starting a comic. Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2022, 02:30:25 PM »
I'll definitely consider waking up some of them for big climactic scenes! Can't have Ahren and Katrin (2 of the main cast) wandering around doing nothing the whole time!
Well, you could, but it'd probably be a very different kind of comic. (I mean, post-apocalyptic fantasy slice-of-life is an interesting idea, but you can obviously work that in like SSSS did without having the whole comic be about just that.)

Creating a comic is a big job, not for the faint of heart, and I wish you the best of luck with it.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I make art sometimes! Too many personal projects.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/They
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2022, 10:15:01 PM »
Well, you could, but it'd probably be a very different kind of comic. (I mean, post-apocalyptic fantasy slice-of-life is an interesting idea, but you can obviously work that in like SSSS did without having the whole comic be about just that.)

Creating a comic is a big job, not for the faint of heart, and I wish you the best of luck with it.

A sorry for not getting to this sooner! I have a bit of a full schedule at the moment.

Thank you for your support! I checked out your DA and really like your work :D
Just one artist with too many projects and not enough time.

Fluent:🇬🇧 Learning:🇫🇮

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2022, 10:40:30 PM »
Aw, thanks!
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2022, 12:35:15 PM »
Not sure how many people are actively looking at this board anymore but Eyes of The Forest has had its title changed to Skybound City following a major plot overhaul! I've been slapping a bunch of conceptual doodles up on the art board here.

Unfortunately as I've been planning this out I've realized that Skybout City is going to take a LOT longer than I initially thought it would to fully plan out and create. This doesn't mean it won't come out ever but I'm pushing back the potential release date by a lot (this is also due to getting a job and prepping for college in the upcoming year)

So I'm curious, would you all be interested in a shorter comic? Sort of like a test run before I launch myself into Skybound City full time. A lot of Minna's old videos on comic making tips and tricks hold up really well so I figured I'd take her advice and test the waters with a shorter form comic to see what my pace is and all that before I start full development on Skybound City.

It'll probably remain Mythology based as I'm currently (and have been for a while) really into nordic mythology and all of its creatures and legends, including the different epics from the different countries, but it'll be a lot shorter than Skybound City will end up being (predicting somewhere close to 1500 pages)

If I do manage to get a smaller comic out in a reasonable amount of time then that gives a bit more hope that SC can come out sooner rather than later! But for now everything is tentative and I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2022, 07:36:16 PM »
Seems good to me!

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2022, 08:03:28 PM »
Iwould be interested in any comic, you want to do within the time frame you can do it in.  Your art is lovely, and the story premise is promising :)
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2022, 11:43:15 PM »
What deck said, plus a shorter practice run will help you to hone your art skills and refine your ideas, plus give you practice with different styles. I will certainly read it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2022, 10:07:18 AM »
I will also be glad to read whatever you want to make, at whatever pace suits your life circumstances (we all know how those can change from moment to moment).

Turnstylus

• Uuuummmm....
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2022, 04:18:04 PM »
Yes MintheTea, that sounds like a good plan!
The character creation that we've seen on the art board is coming along so well, so I'm so glad you're not going to give up!

Most of the authors I've known have started out with short stories before they moved on to longer works. The quicker payoff of finishing a short work reinforces the habits (and discipline) needed to stick with that same process for a longer period of time.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to seeing some environment/setting art, when you get around to it!

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2022, 05:00:55 PM »
Creating a shorter starter comic worked for Minna and it can absolutely work for you too.

The other option is the Meg Syverud approach: Just jump in, accept that the earliest part will be a little rough until you get good habits established, and go from there. You can always redo the first chapter or so later. It worked for Daughter of the Lilies.

But it seems like you're leaning toward the practice comic, so i'd say go with your gut and give that a shot.
- Simcha Fisher

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2022, 02:09:18 AM »
Thank you for all the kind words! I’ve started juggling around a short comic idea and think that i’ll go ahead with that one before i jump headfirst into Skybound City! Expect a lot more art and development updates in then near future!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2022, 06:16:53 AM »
I am not an artist at all, but an engineer. As an engineer I recommend practicing something with a smaller ask before taking on a huge endeavor :) So I agree that it’s probably a good idea to do a shorter one first.

I just recommended a comic for you in the arts thread so won’t repeat everything I wrote there. Just that I would also be very interested to read both your short and long stories.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.