Author Topic: The Webcomics Discussion  (Read 76047 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: The Webcomics Discussion
« Reply #300 on: April 04, 2021, 04:24:31 AM »
hello ssss forum, do YOU enjoy comics about finnish mages? do YOU enjoy comics where not everyone is straight and white? would you like to see a saami character actually existing??? do you like gentle stories centering mental health and interpersonal relationships? MAY I PRESENT TO YOU

The Witch Door
you'll know where to find me.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #301 on: April 04, 2021, 05:57:10 AM »
hello ssss forum, do YOU enjoy comics about finnish mages? do YOU enjoy comics where not everyone is straight and white? would you like to see a saami character actually existing??? do you like gentle stories centering mental health and interpersonal relationships? MAY I PRESENT TO YOU

The Witch Door

+1 for the Witch Door, though be warned that there is a depiction of biphobia there - obviously not endorsed by the comic - that I found hard hitting due to how realistic the situation is. Really captures how sometimes these things are hard to fight because they're so understated, but don't affect you any less for it.

I also enjoy Transfusions by the same author, though that is an 18+ comic with explicit sex (that is however very normalised, with characters not knowing what to do and getting leg cramps and such, and also being very careful about consent and each other's well being) and also some amount of violence, being a vampire story.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #302 on: April 04, 2021, 08:03:34 AM »
+1 for the Witch Door, though be warned that there is a depiction of biphobia there - obviously not endorsed by the comic - that I found hard hitting due to how realistic the situation is.

It really is horribly realistic. But the comic in general is nice.

Songbird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • 10g of fluff and pointy edges
« Reply #303 on: April 04, 2021, 08:00:29 PM »
I've started to read more webcomics of late and here are some I'm following at the moment. I've included pages/art in spoiler tags I hope aren't super spoilery to show the art style. Two of three comics were already mentioned in the thread but without details.

Vainglorious

> Begin Here <

Art
Spoiler: Page without dialogs • show

Official Synopsis
When the small dragon Rei decides to challenge his Queen for the throne, he does not expect to get exiled and cursed into human form. Little by little, Rei searches for a cure in the big world outside his nest - making friends, adventures, and headaches along the way.

Extra info and why I read it
So far it's a lighthearted and outrageously fun comic. The art style fits the author's voice like a glove, the setting is diverse and exciting. It's been going since 2017, seems to have one update per week now, currently on chapter 10.

Witchy

> Begin Here <

Art
Spoiler: Cover art • show

Official Synopsis
In the witch kingdom Hyalin, the strength of your magic is determined by the length of your hair. Those that are strong enough are conscripted by the Witch Guard, who enforce the law in peacetime and protect the land during war. However, those with hair judged too long are pronounced enemies of the kingdom, and annihilated. This is called a witch burning.

Witchy is an ongoing webcomic about the young witch Nyneve, who is haunted by the death of her father and the threat the Witch Guard poses to her own life. When conscription rolls around, Nyneve has a choice to make; join the institution complicit in her father’s death, or stand up for her ideals?

Spoiler: Content Warnings per pages • show

All Pages: The use of hair based persecution in the plot of Witchy may potentially be triggering to readers of certain cultural or religious backgrounds. Reader discretion is advised.
Pages 7-8: Parental death
Pages 64-66: Mild transphobia/misgendering (challenged)
Pages 108-110: Insinuations of suicidal ideation

Lovely setting and cast (yes I'm a sucker for fantasy settings that aren't "medieval europe fantasy"!), and that it's full of Ghibli references only makes me happier! I also felt heavy Earthsea vibes. Don't be fooled by the title, the story is heavier, dealing with politics—when you try to stay out of politics but it keeps getting into your life nonetheless—, and I like how the author handles these themes so far. It's a weird thing to note but I also like the paneling, there are some pretty and clever transitions in the later chapters.

It's going through art evolution like most comics do and I like where it's heading, very distinctive and with interesting color work. It's been going since 2014, one update per week now, currently on chapter 6.

Necropolis

> Begin Here <

Art
Spoiler: Page, cw: a fight and bare skin outfit (but no one fully nude) • show

Official Synopsis
an internet comic about a girl, her sword, and her choices.

Another heavier comic with a protagonist full of anger. To complement the keyworded synopsis it's about a girl who makes a deal with an entity in exchange for a sword that makes her invulnerable in swordfights for as long she holds it. Surprisingly it's not a comic about a girl and her sword, it's veering more and more towards a growing-out-of-your-angst story. I love what I've seen of the setting so far. Parts of the world seems to to be full of dead and creepy things, which I thoroughly enjoy. The art is getting increasingly daring with the colors and I'm curious to see where the story's going.

Spoiler: Content Warnings • show

Content warning for violence and death, imprisonment, lots of rage, bones and some quick instances of nudity (or almost).

A warning though: It's hiatus prone. Despite being unofficially on hold at the moment I still feel it's worth a read, if not for the pretty art and atmosphere. It's been going since 2015, currently on chapter 3.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 01:07:48 PM by Songbird »

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #304 on: April 07, 2021, 11:23:16 AM »
[ . . .]  do YOU enjoy comics where not everyone is straight and white? [ . . . ]
The Witch Door[/url]

And where the people are shaped like people! also there is an excellently depicted cat.

Also I am now (unfortunately) caught up and will have to start waiting for pages to show up --

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #305 on: April 07, 2021, 12:22:19 PM »
And where the people are shaped like people! also there is an excellently depicted cat.

The depictions of people are great in this comic. I wish I could draw a character like the sunshine witch from New York (sorry I am not good at remembering names).

muidole

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #306 on: April 08, 2021, 06:24:01 AM »
Also: "A better place", recently finished, a Comic about a future-earth that has been terraformed by a young child with the powers to create everything she can imagine. The main story is in the pages themselves, but in the page-descriptions and the tags are even more hidden details, worldbuilding and how the actions of the protagonists affect the world they´re in. It´s great.

Ooh, I've read that comic too! The art and storyline for that comic is great, and I agree that the extra info outside of the comic was a really cool addition to the overall story.
The author also had an older comic called Demon's Mirror which is, "based loosely off of 'The Snow Queen', a story by Hans Christian Andersen." as per the comic's description. It's also really good, in my opinion.
:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2021, 07:21:01 PM »
@Kitty, a google search of "riven seal comic" yielded an old kickstarter page from 2016: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1216807743/riven-seal-volume-1
but not much more (maybe you've already seen that too). I'm not sure if that's the right one but it looks interesting anyway!

And nyehehe so many new recommendations to read!!! I'm excited to try them

My recommendation for today is: SAKANAAA!!! It's a self-described "sli-li-rom-com" (slice-of-life romantic comedy) about a bunch of characters working in a fish market, and I think it's my favorite ever webcomic after SSSS (they're very close). Sakana (if you're ever looking for it make sure to type in "Sakana comic", there are a lot of sushi restaurants named that) is a webcomic I discovered a couple months ago and basically instantly fell in love. Reading it brought and is still bringing me so much joy and laughter (it's hilarious), and I honestly learned a lot about art and comic making in general after finishing it!!! I never knew black and white comics could be so interesting (nothing against comics in black and white, I've always just found ones in color more interesting for some reason.), and I've finally learned my lesson that hands can be incredibly expressive and add SO much to a character's emotion (seriously, there are panels where the hands make up like half or the whole expression. I knew body language was important but this goes to the next level and it's awesome!!!)!

WARNING tho: read at your own risk, it's on hiatus and it took me some days to get over the fact it could be months to years before any new pages arrive. I do think it'll start up again at some point (I want to say it's been on a long hiatus before?), at least I dearly hope it will, but who knows when that'll be.

Anyways, sorry for the long rant, I own the two physical books available on the store and I highly recommend it!

Oh yeah, and here's the website link:
https://www.sakana-comic.com/comic/currently-on-hiatus
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2021, 02:29:55 AM »
I also read Vainglorious - it's one of my favourite webcomics, it's genuinely hilarious. Plus the author's Australian, which is cool for me as an Australian! I feel like our humour is on the same wavelength - cultural similarities? It reminds me of some of the books I used to read and enjoy as a kid, only with way better art.

Probably my favourite webcomic though is White Noise (not the one that's on hiatus, the other one - there are two completely unrelated webcomics called White Noise but this is the one that is currently updating). Here's the link: http://www.white-noise-comic.com/comic/1-0

It's an urban fantasy kind of story that follows the stories of two (half) siblings who are separated because of the war that's going on in their homeland. It has some pretty heavy themes - war, the politics behind war, racism and race-based persecution (in a fantasy setting), refugees - but it handles them really well by my reading of it, and also has plenty of lighter, funnier moments with consistent themes of hope, friendship, healing and perseverance.

In particular I think the main areas it does really well in are worldbuilding (cool magic system! multiple universes! different accents and backgrounds of characters! culture!) and character relationships, both platonic, familial and romantic. The characters feel very relatable and likeable despite their flaws, and there's lots of interesting dynamics.

It's also very queer, and in particular focuses on trans experiences, with the author being trans himself and several of the side-storylines focusing on the varying experiences of trans characters. If you want to see trans characters done well in a webcomic, I'd highly recommend White Noise, although some of my trans friends found it hard to read just cos it hit a bit close to home, so fair warning for that.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #309 on: April 12, 2021, 04:27:39 PM »
Haiz, thanks for The Witch Door! I binge-read it (twice) and now am waiting with bated breath for new pages. I should check out some of the other recommendations on this thread... but there are only so many hours in a day, and some of them need to be devoted to work.  :'D
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Sevseres

• Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #310 on: April 12, 2021, 05:08:59 PM »
I started Sakana from Alkia’s recommendation and oh boy I sure am loving it! I really love how non-stereotypical all characters are (Oh Taisei, my pride and joy) and how they all genuinely care for each other altough in all sorts of different ways. And it’s hilarious! Made me laugh out lout in a couple of panels and I never laugh at fiction, ever. Not even at Emil’s goofball moments even though I adore them. The storytelling/panelling/art style are also great. I’m on chapter 14 and I’d say it’s a 10/10.
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #311 on: April 12, 2021, 10:59:20 PM »
I read both Witchy and The Witch Door a few days ago as per recommendation and I really enjoyed them!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #312 on: April 21, 2021, 09:37:17 AM »
I finally read The Witch Door, and I have Thoughts (spoiler for anyone who wants to discover smaller good parts of the comic themselves/hasn't read it yet):
Spoiler: show

it was really good!!!!!! I think the first thing that I noticed is how all the characters look so human, even the ones who aren't human-- there are no unrealistic, super exaggerated body standards here, no massive chests and tiny waists and big muscles, and no perfectly beautiful stunning faces. All that can be fun, I think, and exaggeration is what comics are often all about, but it was really nice to see people who actually look like normal people, and are just as beautiful for it! Even if it's not a 100% realistic art style, it somehow captures bodies and faces really well. I also liked how much attention was paid to shading-- the lighting always looks so accurate and pretty :0!!!! Art goals honestly. ANOTHER thing I noticed was how relaxed the flow of panels and the story feels. There's space to stop and breathe, panels dedicated to characters doing semi-mundane things, not every page is filled with action or relevant character interaction or beautiful scenery spreads. I love comics that are non-stop, with something important filling every panel and loads of details (like Sakana, for example!), but The Witch Door is just so nice and relaxing (but rarely boring) to read. One more note: I thought the art was a little boring in spots, I liked the style of some of the illustrations better, but I think that's just because I'm spoiled by comics where there's exhaustive detail in every page  ::). And it's really cool to see the art improvement, as with all comics

Hehe whoops I realize all my comments have been on the art style and composition, I think the story is great and I adore the characters (with all their LGBTQ+ and minority representation!!! yAY!).

And Sevseres, nyehehe I'm happy you liked Sakana!!! I agree, the laugh factor (? is that a term or did I just invent it?) is one of my favorite things about it (and I rarely laugh at stories either  ;D)
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #313 on: April 28, 2021, 09:31:14 PM »
I've got a couple suggestions if anyone's interested. Ghostblade unfortunately updates sooo slowly but is so far interesting. Step Aside seems to update twice a week and is also quite interesting. Both have very good art too.

https://tapas.io/series/GhostBlade/info
https://tapas.io/series/Step-Aside/info

KElder

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #314 on: April 29, 2021, 12:15:47 AM »
Wow! So many of my favorites have already been listed and now there are so many more to dive into. Just marathoned the The Witch Door and really enjoy the story thus far. Thank you all for sharing  :)
:usa: - Fluent
:france: - Somewhat competent depending on the day