Author Topic: Moderator Status (not currently recruiting)  (Read 16393 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: Moderator Status
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 07:39:01 PM »
I could go ahead and bump you up to mod, sunny.  Skald status was mainly cause we didn't need a moderator at the time.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »
I could go ahead and bump you up to mod, sunny.  Skald status was mainly cause we didn't need a moderator at the time.

Wow, really?  That sounds wonderful!  Thanks!
*clouds boil ominously on the western horizon*

In all seriousness, I think adding another mod in the Euro time zones would make sense.  I'm not only 3 hours behind Eich, I'm a serious night owl and am often up till around 2 a.m. PST (when the Pacific and Japan are active).  So the Euro-time postings I see are generally shortly before people's bedtimes or first thing in the morning.   

BTW, I see Fimbulwaffle has now hit 2,000 posts.  Should we let her repair conquer another Derelict Airport?  I'm assuming she's made Charles de Gaulle/Paris ship-shape, or at any rate cleaned out all the duty-free liquor and chocolate.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:44:54 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 07:37:33 AM »
Wow, really?  That sounds wonderful!  Thanks!
*clouds boil ominously on the western horizon*

In all seriousness, I think adding another mod in the Euro time zones would make sense.  I'm not only 3 hours behind Eich, I'm a serious night owl and am often up till around 2 a.m. PST (when the Pacific and Japan are active).  So the Euro-time postings I see are generally shortly before people's bedtimes or first thing in the morning.   
You being a night owl might help a lot though, cause you cover european wake-up time or could pass mod requests on. I feel that mods will seldomly need to do anything. From other boards I know that people would call in, if they felt left alone. Taking action was not always first thing a mod had to do. Users decided when it is time to call for help (help requests often included phrases like "close this thread down" of any sorts). Also you are accepted due to your work in already managing all the topics by putting them together in a logic order.

BTW, I see Fimbulwaffle has now hit 2,000 posts.  Should we let her repair conquer another Derelict Airport?  I'm assuming she's made Charles de Gaulle/Paris ship-shape, or at any rate cleaned out all the duty-free liquor and chocolate.   ;)

wasn't there a list of promotion-suggestions in one of the older threads? Somehwere in the non-urgent-improvements?
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »
wasn't there a list of promotion-suggestions in one of the older threads? Somehwere in the non-urgent-improvements?
Yes, but since the preview of the crew lounging on an aircraft wing was the furthest we've seen them "progress" above and beyond the random Known World citizen back then, IIRC it ended with the airport-ruling.

With what we've seen of the possibilities in the Silent Lands now ... "(Pro)Moated Castle Count", "Gondoliere in a Flooded Suburb", "Tuna Palanquin Traveler", "Fictional School Principal", "Blackmail of the Seven Seas", "Librarian of a Thousand Singeing Books", "Commander of the Ent" ...

(I guess that I'll have to forget about calling a post-Rash allusion to "Moby Dick" by the same-initial-sounds name of "Monster Dick", though.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 06:40:31 PM »
"If there isn't a mod, it would be necessary to create one." Just make a robot mod that handles issues with prejudice. 24/7 forum-wide coverage; destroyer of trolls, closer of threads. Your move, creep!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »
"If there isn't a mod, it would be necessary to create one." Just make a robot mod that handles issues with prejudice. 24/7 forum-wide coverage; destroyer of trolls, closer of threads. Your move, creep!

I suspect Eich already has a few of these prowling our perimeters, shooting down the robot-vendors of fake Gucci bags and sketchy pharmaceuticals.   :o

Within our walls, the job's a lot more like hosting a very large cocktail party -- supplying refreshments, directions, answers, and introductions to other kindred spirits.  Only occasionally have I had to say to a guest "Heyyyy there, cowboy, why don'tcha put that flamethrower down before someone gets hurt" (while hissing at Eich to put the liquor and breakables out of reach).  We haven't had to bounce anyone yet, I'm glad to say. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 07:35:21 PM »
In all seriousness, I think adding another mod in the Euro time zones would make sense.     
I suppose previous activity has to be pretty high for that?
I'm active now, though I may not seem it, and I've had previous experience with SMF moderation and such, so I'd volunteer for this if you want.
Only, I don't think I'm well-established enough in the community, really.
Still, if absolutely nobody else applies, there's always me I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:12:18 AM by ParanormalAndroid »

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2015, 07:40:10 PM »
But seriously; if you guys need a EU mod, I'm game for that. Although you should deffo put higher priority on ParanormalAndroid though.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 07:43:39 PM »
But seriously; if you guys need a EU mod, I'm game for that. Although you should deffo put higher priority on ParanormalAndroid though.
Nice of you, but you have more posts.
Pistols at dawn?

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 07:44:16 PM »
Locked and loaded, hombre.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2015, 02:53:36 AM »
I think the number of posts does not really matter. What matters if someone stays calm and is able not to step into conflict on the one hand. On the other time in here should be a valid thing. The balance of kindly asking and mildly suggesting solutions is key here.

Also whoever is Mod should help Sunny in splitting/renaming topics or PM-ing people about renaming. Also having about 1-3 Mods per (bigger) timezone seems a reasonable thing to do. If there would be three in Europe, one can easily say "Okay I am on holiday for a few weeks now".

Also what about JoB? As far as I can see harsh words are rare (I might be wrong) and his eloquence is outstanding.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2015, 03:53:58 PM »
Pistols at dawn?
Stick to the style, dudes. Icelandic special characters on a numeric keypad! :P

Also what about JoB? As far as I can see harsh words are rare (I might be wrong) and his eloquence is outstanding.
I'm a) a night owl with waking hours that match the East Coast better than my home continent (which sort of defeats the purpose), b) a traveling technician who can be dispatched to a customer site without Internet access for a couple months from one week to the next (though it's highly unlikely to happen anytime before autumn due to the project I'm currently in), and, perhaps most importantly, c) not a stranger at all to the meltdown(everyoneelse) method of supporting my opinion once buttons get pressed. (Gotten better, but I'm not yet old to the point that I can only shake my crutch menacingly in the first place.) I'ld guess that you have better friars to fish.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
Alrighty, Kex and Sunny, welcome to mod town.

Also, new ranks for 2500 posts: Admiral of a Sunken Ship.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »
Quote from: Eich
Alrighty, Kex and Sunny, welcome to mod town.

Also, new ranks for 2500 posts: Admiral of a Sunken Ship.

Awesome!  I will remember that with great power comes great responsibility.   :)

EDIT:  Congratulations to my wonderful co-moderator, Kjeks.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:55:41 AM by Sunflower »

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2015, 02:04:33 AM »
*dough* so many buttons, now I edited sunny's post  :-[

was able to change that back at last...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:54:47 AM by Sunflower »