Author Topic: Moderator Status (not currently recruiting)  (Read 16232 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: Moderator Status
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2015, 03:41:38 AM »
Also, new ranks for 2500 posts: Admiral of a Sunken Ship.
....... does that mean we have to give up our airports and turn into mermaids if we ever reach that rank, or... do we just add it to our empire of broken things
(or is it the fandom kind of sunken ship?)

edit: *facepalms* I forgot to say my congratulations to our new mods!! CONGRATS
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:10:53 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2015, 03:49:56 AM »
hurray!
congrats to our new mods

or is this one more appropriate?
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2015, 03:50:10 AM »
....... does that mean we have to give up our airports and turn into mermaids if we ever reach that rank, or... do we just add it to our empire of broken things
(or is it the fandom kind of sunken ship?)

Just add it to your empire.  I for one would not give up Moffett Airfield (a/k/a the Google Top Sekrit Science Base) for all the ships at the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2015, 04:06:05 AM »
Also, new ranks for 2500 posts: Admiral of a Sunken Ship.
(I was there~)
Also, congrats to our new mods!

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2015, 06:17:48 AM »
Congratulations kjeks and Sunny!
*sharpens dagger*

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Congratulations! You two will surely do a wonderful job!
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2015, 06:43:44 PM »
Yay!

I for one welcome our new overlords.
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2015, 03:13:41 PM »
I had a long post typed out, but my connection bird when I tried to post it. 
Basically, I think there's an option to automatically remove accounts, not sure if it can take post count into consideration, but I need to find it and see if it exists first.  Also, with the new mods, we'll need a standard process for banning and deleting accounts.  I'll work on that when I get home.
Feel free to PM.

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2015, 05:49:05 AM »
Alright so this question is probably going to sound a little silly:

What do the titles under your post count titles mean? Is Troll Slayer for moderators, and Thor for admins? What's a Skald, or a Slayer of Silence? And as for as the little boxes that add up the more you post, once you max out your space, what do the different colors mean? And one more question: how do you think up the new posting levels when someone goes over the last one, are they preset?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:00:34 AM by Trinka »
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2015, 06:23:07 AM »
  • The post count titles for regular members are just SSSS-ified versions of SMF's Newbie, Member, Senior Member, etc. post-based titles. What they aimed for when they thought up them was stripping the rank-iness feel from it by these new names AND making them sound cool, of course. 8)
  • Skald is kinda a lowrank moderator status. They can do organizing related stuff but not the peacekeeping part.
  • Troll Slayer is our fancy name for Global Moderator, Thor is admin.

• This whole wonderful mess is basically powered by SMF's usergroups feature. User groups can be various types:
    • the ones you get into by post count,
    • the type that you have to get put into by a moderator / admin,
    • there are also types that you can only get in by requesting invitation,
    • and there are ones you can just join with a click.
    (we don't have groups of the latter two currently)
  • The main purpose of user groups is managing permissions. For example, you don't have to give forum magic powers to every moderator individually, you can set those permissions for the moderator usergroup and everyone in that group gets forum magic powers then. Or another example, we could have a separate usergroup made for giving image removing rights in the Reaction image hoard.
  • The little boxes don't follow some very strict logic, but they can be set individually for every usergroup. For example we could make Scouts have 4 boxes and Citizens just one, or make Airport Rulers have 5 little airplanes instead of boxes... with our current settings, yellow boxes are regular members, green boxes are Skalds, blue ones are Moderators and red ones are the Admins.
Aaaand sorry for rambling. I hope I helped. :)
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
Alright so this question is probably going to sound a little silly:

What do the titles under your post count titles mean? Is Troll Slayer for moderators, and Thor for admins? What's a Skald, or a Slayer of Silence?

• The post count titles for regular members are just SSSS-ified versions of SMF's Newbie, Member, Senior Member, etc. post-based titles. What they aimed for when they thought up them was stripping the rank-iness feel from it by these new names AND making them sound cool, of course. 8)
  • Skald is kinda a lowrank moderator status. They can do organizing related stuff but not the peacekeeping part.
  • Troll Slayer is our fancy name for Global Moderator, Thor is admin.

• This whole wonderful mess is basically powered by SMF's usergroups feature. User groups can be various types:
    • the ones you get into by post count,
    • the type that you have to get put into by a moderator / admin,
    • there are also types that you can only get in by requesting invitation,
    • and there are ones you can just join with a click.
    (we don't have groups of the latter two currently)
  • The main purpose of user groups is managing permissions. For example, you don't have to give forum magic powers to every moderator individually, you can set those permissions for the moderator usergroup and everyone in that group gets forum magic powers then. Or another example, we could have a separate usergroup made for giving image removing rights in the Reaction image hoard.
  • The little boxes don't follow some very strict logic, but they can be set individually for every usergroup. For example we could make Scouts have 4 boxes and Citizens just one, or make Airport Rulers have 5 little airplanes instead of boxes... with our current settings, yellow boxes are regular members, green boxes are Skalds, blue ones are Moderators and red ones are the Admins.
Aaaand sorry for rambling. I hope I helped. :)

Thanks for the great explanation, Eriaror.  (Why haven't we promoted *you* yet?   ???)
Trinka, there's no such thing as a silly question.  Never hesitate to ask!   :)

Here's some background:

I was calling myself "Forum-Skald" long before I got any actual powers, just because I was taking it upon myself to do skaldish things -- e.g. ferry interesting content over from Disqus, create new threads, organize existing content, and explain our content policies to others, as well as writing poems and little scenarios myself.  (Historically, a "skald" in the Viking culture filled the role of chronicler, historian, reporter, poet, secretary, publicist, county clerk, and more; the title has been revived in the Known World, as we see in Torbjörn.)

Initially, Eich gave me the functional title of Skald when he endowed me with a custom subset of Moderator powers, specifically to handle content.  When he bumped Kjeks and me up to full Moderator powers, the title automatically changed to Troll Slayer. 

Hushpiper has the function of Admin but the custom title of Slayer of Silence because she led the effort to diagnose and fix a serious problem we were having around Christmas last year:  an overactive censorship filter that was eating people's posts for no apparent reason. 

Eich has the custom title of Thor because he founded the Forum and is our lead Admin.  All hail.   :D
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2015, 02:24:26 PM »
Thanks Sunflower and Eriaror, that was super informative!  I've been wondering about that stuff for a while, but never took the time to ask. And on the note Sunflower started off on, Eriaror, and other forum member who do a serious amount of debugging and cool programming should have their own title. I think it would be a cool way to reward them for all their techy hard work! Plus it might aid in recognizing who would be a good person to talk to if you had some input on the features of the site and how they might be edited to function better.

And on Eriaror's note, if you want me to make little tiny adorable pixel pictures to replace the current squares, I would totally do that. Like little airplanes for airport rulers, and binoculars for scouts, or little houses for safe zone citizens, and Thor could have little Mjornirs! Oh, that would be too cute, I'm getting all excited just thinking of the idea! If this is something that is too crazy and endeavor to even consider, go ahead and shoot me down, I won't mind.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:30:43 PM by Trinka »
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2015, 01:54:48 PM »
You might have noticed, that Feartheviolas has helped in skalding a lot. Also she sped up skaldingwork by categorizing artwork in a handy spreadsheet (and regarding the SSSSArtmusem by help of Curry, Para, Jesty, and Ana). Also she helped clearing our thoughts in discussions. By working on projects with Eriaror she got to know the depth of the board very well. Thus we are happy to announce that she joined the team of moderators and now can help in keeping our board secured against spambots, unwelcome advertisement and other nasty stuff.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:57:14 PM by kjeks »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2015, 02:44:22 PM »
You might have noticed, that Feartheviolas has helped in skalding a lot. Also she sped up skaldingwork by categorizing artwork in a handy spreadsheet (and regarding the SSSSArtmusem by help of Curry, Para, Jesty, and Ana). Also she helped clearing our thoughts in discussions. By working on projects with Eriaror she got to know the depth of the board very well.

Thus we are happy to announce that she joined the team of moderators and now can help in keeping our board secured against spambots, unwelcome advertisement and other nasty stuff.

Congratulations to our trusty and well-beloved new Troll Slayer!