Author Topic: Moderator Status (not currently recruiting)  (Read 16233 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Moderator Status (not currently recruiting)
« on: September 01, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »
Okay, so:  With the forum being here now, we'll need moderators.  Mods look after the forum, making sure users are obeying the rules, checking in on and responding to complaints and reported posts, and generally keeping things running smoothly.  Mods can issue warnings and ban people who break the rules too many times; these kind of decisions are left to each mods' individual discretion, but no mod should ever issue warnings or ban someone for personal reasons.  Mods should never abuse their status.

I think two will be a good preliminary number to look after the site in it's beginning phases, because we have a very calm and kind community; I don't expect any trouble from anyone in particular.  Anyone can apply to be a mod, but only a certain amount are needed, depending on the number of users.  If you want to apply, just say so in a response, and say why you think you'd make a good one.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 02:51:51 PM by Feartheviolas »
Feel free to PM.

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
Re: Moderator Status
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:56:13 PM »
May I be a mod *cough-Troll-slayer-cough*?
As for why, I have a feeling I'll be on here fairly often, and I also have the habit of reading just about everything there is to read, so I doubt I'll miss out on a lot.

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 01:52:50 AM »
I'd like to moderate too, if you'll have me. I have been in many communities and forums and seen a lot of drama but never taken any part in it. I visit here regularly and because  of my work, I might be here early in the morning or late in the night, and everytime in between.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 02:44:05 AM »
Well, I could moderate, too. I don't think three people will be needed, especially because we have a very nice community, but if you need help, I'm up. I'm here a lot and read more or less everything there is to read, and maintaining order is a thing I often do in real life when not even asked to :P

... Plus, I want to be known as troll slayer.

EDIT: The people above are right in considering time zones. I'm in the +1 time zone, meaning I can cover a lot of Europe.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:09:44 PM by Nimphy »
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

SlewedQuasar890

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:57:33 AM »
I'm interested but I only have an android phone so idk if I would be as efficient as others
Steel be with you

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:43:14 AM »
I'd like to help too, if you can use someone in the Pacific time zone.  I sometimes log in before work (like now), but mostly from 7 p.m. until very late.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sash

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:08:07 PM »
Are there any positions open for back-end stuff? I'm a software engineering student, maybe I could help out neatifying the forum a little bit :3

Logical Psycho

• Not a Grade A cat - but with a hat!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »
I'd like to help too, if you can use someone in the Pacific time zone.  I sometimes log in before work (like now), but mostly from 7 p.m. until very late.

That's a good point actually.

Although probably not much moderation is needed [especially in these early days], and 2 mods would more than enough - it might be useful to try to generally cover the timezones.
So for instance 1 person in North-America, one in Europe, and one in Australia.
First two should be easy, not sure about the latter.

sidenote: Sunflower, unless I'm mistaken the default color is reset to black, so you won't have to use color-brackets anymore to write in black.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »
First off, please don't anybody get any hurt feelings if I don't pick you to be a mod.  I don't like hurting feelings, and it'll make me feel bad...  Aaaaaanyway, on to the thing.
I've been considering time zone help from the start, and it makes me pretty happy that y'all thought of the same thing.  I've set the forum to my time zone for exactly this, actually.  I can moderate from the forum's 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm, on most days.  I really like Psycho's suggestion of one from each third of the world.  That would mean someone would always be able to deal with reported posts within a reasonable amount of time.  However, the majority of members are from Europe and America, so a European helper would be ideal for the moment.

Noako, you're in Europe, right?  Having been in a few online communities before means you pretty much know what to expect if something less-than-ideal happens.  Your work means you're awake during the day, and get internet access?

Also, Sash, I think I've pretty much got a handle on things for the moment, but I might need some help in the future.  If I need anything codey or programmy, I'll send you a pm asking for help.  Honestly, I was really hoping someone with some technical knowledge of internet stuff would show up, so I'll be keeping you in mind.

Everybody else, I think one mod should be able to handle things as they are now.  We currently have about 80 members (which makes me very happy, btw), so I think I'll add another mod position once we reach 100, which might even happen tomorrow, at this rate.  :)
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 10:42:40 PM »
Eich, we're all grateful for the time and skill you've invested in building this forum and giving us a place to play.  You've been admirably thoughtful, open, and respectful so far.  So I think you can count on most forum members trusting your judgment, and not getting their noses out of joint for petty reasons.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »

Noako, you're in Europe, right?  Having been in a few online communities before means you pretty much know what to expect if something less-than-ideal happens.  Your work means you're awake during the day, and get internet access?

Yeah, I'm finnish. My work schedule can be anywhere between 8am-9pm (my time, gmt+2), so if that's a problem, I understand completely.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »
Yeah, I'm finnish. My work schedule can be anywhere between 8am-9pm (my time, gmt+2), so if that's a problem, I understand completely.
It might be.  Do you want to give it a test run for a couple of days?  If you think you'll be able to moderate enough, you can keep the mod status.

Also, we now have (exactly) 100 members, so another mod's in order... but I think we'll test run this too.  We'll see how Noako (if she [assuming she, from the avatar] accepts) and I do for the next three or four days and, if we can handle it, I'll close mod applications for a little while, until they're needed again.  Does that sound okay to everyone?
Feel free to PM.

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »
Yep, sounds good! P.S, if time-zones are important information for the future, I'm EST, so...*Googles* gmt-4.

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 07:49:20 PM »
Yep, sounds good! P.S, if time-zones are important information for the future, I'm EST, so...*Googles* gmt-4.
Same, I'm down here in South Carolina, trying to avoid the deadly, deadly humidity (though, if you're a Floridian, you can easily 1-up me there).
Feel free to PM.

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 08:43:44 AM »
Sure let's try this.

(Also wasn't Aksel male?)