Author Topic: "Inbox is full" error message (SOLVED)  (Read 2458 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
"Inbox is full" error message (SOLVED)
« on: November 21, 2014, 01:17:48 AM »
Hello, admins.

I was trying to PM one of our new members ("slim kittens") just now, welcoming him and asking if he'd post his latest hilarious song lyric.  But several times I got an error message:  "slim kittens' inbox is full"!

Now, he's just joined, so I can't imagine his inbox is actually full.  Could it be some kind of technical error?  Or maybe you have to be a member for at least 48 hours (or something) before your PM inbox becomes valid? 

Also, this brings up a less urgent issue.  Is there an upper limit to the size/# of PMs we can retain?  I PM copiously and am kind of an e-mail pack rat.  (No attachments, though.)  Any objections to my hanging on to my mails?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:33:54 PM by Feartheviolas »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: "Inbox is full" error message
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 06:45:13 AM »
There shouldn't be a limit. They're essentially the same as posts, but only a few people can see them.  I'll check that after work.
Feel free to PM.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:25:18 AM »
I PM copiously and am kind of an e-mail pack rat.
You wouldn't happen to be using my previously-preferred MUA, would you? ;)

(Found myself forced to switch to Thunderbird so as to use what was back then called "detached IMAP folders", which The Rat had a tendency to occasionally wipe clean off the server. :-\ )
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »

I was trying to PM one of our new members ("slim kittens") just now, welcoming him and asking if he'd post his latest hilarious song lyric.  But several times I got an error message:  "slim kittens' inbox is full"!

Now, he's just joined, so I can't imagine his inbox is actually full.  Could it be some kind of technical error?  Or maybe you have to be a member for at least 48 hours (or something) before your PM inbox becomes valid? 

Update from slim kittens today, via Disqus: 
My inbox is saying 1 mail and 100% full. I can only receive one email? I'm not sure why this is going on or how to fix it other than to delete that email, but I wanted to be able to keep it.
??????

That one e-mail would have been from me, just acknowledging his new membership in the Forum.   No attachments or other funny stuff.  He replied, and when I tried to respond to *that*, the problems started.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »
Poor slim kittens.  He deleted his original PM from me and brought his inbox down to 0% full.  But then I replied to him (just a few minutes ago) and it blocked up his inbox again. 

Any suggestions?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 11:19:44 PM »
Been looking into it.  This is a very weird problem.
I'll see if the SMF folks know anything about it.
Feel free to PM.

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
Could it be that the server directory used for PMs is full and that the error message is itself in error? If so, maybe allocating extra space to the relevant directory will fix the issue - or if you ask everybody to trim off the fat in their personal folders then that will free some space.
My one-and-only: :uk:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 12:05:38 PM »
Could it be that the server directory used for PMs is full and that the error message is itself in error? If so, maybe allocating extra space to the relevant directory will fix the issue - or if you ask everybody to trim off the fat in their personal folders then that will free some space.

AH HA HA!  [Embarrassed Torbjorn face.]  In that case, I would probably be a prime source of the problem.  I have lavishly PM'd lots of people -- though I dutifully removed attachments once those hit the limit. 

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 04:21:12 AM »
More input from slim kittens.  Eich is working on the problem; I'm just posting here in case someone else has an idea of what's causing it.

The good news is that I received both [your test] emails.  The questionable news is that my inbox is showing 200% full.  I guess "percent" doesn't mean what I thought it meant :|. 
I thought it might be a browser problem, so I tried it on IE, Firefox and Pale Moon.  Worked the same way on all of them.

tedlar

• you're old when you start to choose your battles
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 04:26:06 AM »
Why would only ONE be victim and not everyone  ???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:28:42 AM by tedlar »
:uk: / :france:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 08:21:13 AM »
Why would only ONE be victim and not everyone  ???
slim kittens is ranked a "Super-Newbie" (zero forum posts), which IIUC is supposed to impose some limits on what you can do on the forum ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

test

• Skald
  • Super-Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 10:47:09 PM »
Testing the possible solution requiring a post count of >0.

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 02:53:06 AM »
Hi!

have anybody had trouble sending messages? I tried to send two but didn't get any response and when checking my "sent messages" its empty???

can it be that I'm still a newbie?
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 03:29:10 AM »
Hi!

have anybody had trouble sending messages? I tried to send two but didn't get any response and when checking my "sent messages" its empty???

can it be that I'm still a newbie?

I don't think you have a trouble there. You sent me a message, if I'm not wrong? I did not reply, but I did receive it and was going to, so I suppose it will be the same for other members.
The "no sent messages" is quite normal. The messages you send are not automaticallybkept, you have to check that little box that says "keep a copy of my PM in my outbox" (or something like that). There should also be an option to automatically preserve all sent messages once you check that box.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 03:32:16 AM »
aHA!

thanks! just wondering, every forum works a bit differently, no hurry in answering!
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: