Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780210 times)

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1725 on: March 17, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »
I really didn't think I would end up writing another fanfic, but it seems that once you've written one, there's no going back. Oh well, at least this one's short. Does anyone like Finnish mythology?

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6276040
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1726 on: March 17, 2016, 03:38:25 PM »
I really didn't think I would end up writing another fanfic, but it seems that once you've written one, there's no going back. Oh well, at least this one's short. Does anyone like Finnish mythology?

Left a comment but just going to say here too: I really liked this!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1727 on: March 17, 2016, 04:17:22 PM »

Everyone likes Finnish mythology!
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1728 on: March 17, 2016, 06:30:52 PM »
Pupunen: that was great! Interesting in how many cultures that concept turns up. And of course it would be Emil who heard.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1729 on: March 17, 2016, 08:08:49 PM »
Does anyone like Finnish mythology?
Well, there's this comic several others around here like called A Red Tail's Dream...

Aki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • rambler of headcanons spouter of ideas
  • Preferred pronouns: (she/her) please don't call me dude, that's all.
« Reply #1730 on: March 17, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »
I wrote something in like 1.5 hours? It's the application/adaptation of a poem by Dylan Thomas (1914-1953) (read: mutilation of great poetry) to Stand Still Stay Silent.

Title: Do not go gentle into that good night
Characters: the crew minus the kitten
Pairings: none
length: super short
Published on: tumblr

Honestly, it's not a happy thing, I should not be left alone with such poetry and a light buzz. Explicitly non-explicit. There's no happy ending. Read at your own risk.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 09:14:54 PM by Aki »
Languages:
fluent: :switzerland: :germany: :france: :uk:
knows: :vaticancity:, ancient :greece:
learned some: :japan:
can read to some extent: :italy: :spain: etc.
wants to learn: :finland:
You may use any of my "Imagine X" or headcanons for your writing or art as long as you link back to me or my original post if you feel like you stayed true to it.
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :book2: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Róisín

« Reply #1731 on: March 17, 2016, 09:29:57 PM »
Oh. That's.... Very fine. I don't think the original poet would mind at all, he liked a good darkness.

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1732 on: March 18, 2016, 01:31:36 AM »
I wrote something in like 1.5 hours? It's the application/adaptation of a poem by Dylan Thomas (1914-1953) (read: mutilation of great poetry) to Stand Still Stay Silent.

Title: Do not go gentle into that good night
Characters: the crew minus the kitten
Pairings: none
length: super short
Published on: tumblr

Honestly, it's not a happy thing, I should not be left alone with such poetry and a light buzz. Explicitly non-explicit. There's no happy ending. Read at your own risk.

Nicely done. The happy ending is not always the appropriate one.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

tamaerchen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1733 on: March 18, 2016, 02:56:07 AM »
Aki, this is a great piece! It made me feel with them so terribly much and I would read it again and again if it didn't break my heart every time. (Instead I went and illustrated "And death shall have no dominion". :3)
I kind of already screamed about this on tumblr, but I don't care, this deserves to be praised multiple times. <3
Fluent: :germany: :uk:
Alright: :spain: :france:
I try: :vaticancity: :norway: :turkey: :ireland: :sign: Yiddish
(I study historical linguistics and like to dig around in various Germanic languages of the last 2000 years or so.)

~Rule no.1: Don't question the Sgru!~

tamaerchen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1734 on: March 18, 2016, 04:09:49 AM »
Oops, double posting - but I come bearing gifts! It's the fic I posted an illustration in the Art Museum for a couple of days ago.

Title: Currents

Summary: Saku is "dying" again and Aino has to accept that the world is indeed ending - luckily they've got each other.
Length: 1,154 words
Rating: I put Gen but there's one f-word... I don't really know how to do ratings yet.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6281845

(I study historical linguistics and like to dig around in various Germanic languages of the last 2000 years or so.)

Puls3

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1735 on: March 18, 2016, 08:03:46 AM »
tamaerchen: Such a heartwarming story  ^-^ I especially adore the fact that you managed to make Saku and Aino complete each other with their contrasting personalities despite the dark times they find themselves in.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:06:29 AM by Puls3 »
Have a more extensive vocabulary in :england: than :sweden: (which is scary considering that I'm born and raised here)
Can only pronounce a few sentences of :spain:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1736 on: March 19, 2016, 07:14:35 PM »
Sigrun’s Shenanigans
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part 1
Prior part
Spoiler: show
The Tale of Old Man MacMurray

When I was a kid in Dalsnes, there was This One House that had been empty for like twenty years. Everybody in town knew about it, but nobody talked about it, just like nobody went there or even looked at it if they were nearby.

Now, back in the 20s and 30s, the few die-hard Scots settlements that had been grimly hanging on in their old homes finally wised up and came over to Norway in dribbles and drabs, and a couple of them made it to Dalsnes. One of them was Old Man MacMurray.

See, I never met the man, personally; he was long dead before the world created my magnificence. The stories he left behind, though--I saw the most fearless Hunters go pale when his name was mentioned, and I really think most of those who knew him would rather take on a giant in single combat than spend an hour in his company.

So. Old Man MacMurray took over this one house; I’m not sure whether he bought it, it was given to him, or he just demanded it, but he got it somehow, and he held onto it as his fathers had held to their little Highland hamlets.

As he got older, he got more and more reclusive, and more and more terrifying. People began to whisper about Dark Scots magic, up to and including child sacrifices at the waxing of the moon, but no one could prove anything, and when the local seiðkarl came by, he said there was nothing wrong with the place--but everyone knew he was as scared of Old Man MacMurray as everyone else.

Well, finally he died--from what I heard, he had a stroke while arguing over some petty thing or another in the mead-hall--and the fear of him lingered on. It took more than ten years for someone to dare to even look into That House, and when they did... Let’s say they were lucky to have friends standing outside, OK?

Now, kids are kinda silly sometimes; even I was, if you can believe it. There were a pack of us that palled around back when I was in my single digits; most lost interest once we started Hunting training, but this was just before that, so I was maybe... ten? Eleven? Anyway, naturally I was the ringleader, and the most best one the Dalsnes youth had ever seen, but back then, I didn’t know how to spot mutiny in the works.

The challenge came out of the blue: I was to prove my mettle by spending 48 hours straight in That Old House. Again, kids can be kinda silly; he actually thought I’d refuse! Weird. Although, I’ll admit I had a bit of a crazy moment just as I was going into That House where I wanted to turn around and run, but I’m Sigrun Eide, and Eides only run if it’ll save someone else; no Eide runs from their own death.

It was actually pretty boring in there, so I fell asleep pretty quickly. My dreams were of Old Man MacMurray trying to chase me off, but I tied him up in the chains he rattled at me, caught the torches he threw at me and threw them back, and out-yelled him when he finally faced me down. I told him who I am and dared him to come after me, and he backed down. Yeah, those dreams were fun.

I had rather expected some of the gang to come in and try to pull pranks on me, but none did, or they all said they hadn’t tried to; anyway, not a thing happened to me the whole two days, though I searched That House from top to bottom.

One odd thing that wasn’t a prank did happen, though. I was looking through Old Man MacMurray’s desk when an old letter popped out from a secret drawer--and it had my name on it! Of course, I’d forgotten my grandmother had the same name as I, so when I took it to my Dad, he laughed at my claims of Old Man MacMurray somehow scrying out my incursion into That House.

The letter turned out to be, of all things, a love letter, though Mormor Sigrun was quite Old Man MacMurray’s elder. It just goes to show how you never know about some people.

The kid who challenged me didn’t dare show his face around Dalsnes for a good long while; in fact, since Hunter training started so soon thereafter, I don’t think I’ve seen him since. You can probably tell that I count it as no great loss, though it is a bit weird in a small town like Dalsnes.

But that reminds me of another story...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So, how many of you forgot this was going to be a thing?

*Maniacal Laughter* It’s going to be a thing!

Róisín

« Reply #1737 on: March 19, 2016, 08:10:39 PM »
Good! I'd be interested to know what that love letter said...

tamaerchen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1738 on: March 19, 2016, 11:19:11 PM »
tamaerchen: Such a heartwarming story  ^-^ I especially adore the fact that you managed to make Saku and Aino complete each other with their contrasting personalities despite the dark times they find themselves in.
Thank you. :) We only see them for such a short amount of time in the comic, but I felt like I really got to know them and their relationship. (I'm probably making a lot up but I feel that it's them and not me, if that makes sense.) Anyways, these two are great! <3

Sigrun’s Shenanigans
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part 1
Nice!! I'm looking forward to more campfire stories! And I wonder what people found when they first looked into the house... And what happened to Sigrun's friend mortal enemy!

Crumpite

• Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
« Reply #1739 on: March 20, 2016, 01:38:23 AM »
LooNEY_DAC,
That was excellent with lots of loose ends to tie further stories on to.
Please keep it up !