Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780328 times)

Tap

• Scout
  • previously Sahoin
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1695 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:50 AM »
omg Fogtreader that was hilarious! ahh you did it perfectly, haha!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1696 on: March 07, 2016, 01:00:15 AM »
Fogtreader, that's great! I'm a sucker for a gritty detective story!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1697 on: March 07, 2016, 01:14:25 AM »
The names, though. The names were perfection.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1698 on: March 07, 2016, 05:21:59 AM »
Fogtreader: Awesome idea! Very nice dosage and placement of body horror (The EYES! D: ) and a very interesting idea about the possible split-up of a giant. Great! More? Plx?
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

OwlsG0

« Reply #1699 on: March 07, 2016, 05:50:09 AM »
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5853457/chapters/14171800

Here's another chapter of whatever the plot is supposed to be
I saw the future.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1700 on: March 07, 2016, 06:04:53 AM »
This is getting very interesting! Are you setting up to lose Mikkel or Sigrun, I wonder? I chuckled at Reynir's hair!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1701 on: March 07, 2016, 10:52:10 AM »
Wow, that was awesome Fogtreader! I lost it at "Do you have anything anything else to share with me? Besides your left arm?"

And hooray, new chapter of the Mora Academy! Thanks for making my morning, OwlsG0! I enjoyed their various reactions to the new assignment, and I'm excited to see what they get up to out there. (Will probably write a longer comment on AO3 later, when I'm more awake).
Reynir's hair made me laugh too (I know the struggle all too well, mine is practically carnivorous). And I'm reminded, I have some doodles to show you as soon as I can get them from my sketchbook to the computer. :)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1702 on: March 07, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »
While I mull over a few other fics here’s something I’ve had on the boil for about a week now: a story of Sigrun and Emil’s book run in the current chapter that we never got to see. Contains some (very justified) swearing in their native languages, and a big troll.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6188191

Hope you like it!

Frogtreader, that was just wonderful!

Edit: Whoops, forgot to say: thanks to Laufey for helping me come up with the name of said big troll!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:29:34 PM by SectoBoss »
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1703 on: March 07, 2016, 02:50:06 PM »
While I mull over a few other fics here’s something I’ve had on the boil for about a week now: a story of Sigrun and Emil’s book run in the current chapter that we never got to see. Contains some (very justified) swearing in their native languages, and a big troll.

Hope you like it!

Frogtreader, that was just wonderful!

I love it!  ;D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1704 on: March 07, 2016, 09:52:13 PM »

Hope you like it!

Left you a review.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

frostykitty

« Reply #1705 on: March 08, 2016, 05:53:45 PM »
While I read what I missed, have chapter eight, and nine is on its way... And if you have any name suggestions (for those weird Y0 lab people,) please messagel me or something! I don't want the names to be odd for the area and such...

WAIT! I think it's too long... Ehhh, I'll check soon... Yeah, too long. By 785 words ;-; So have this link to it

Spoiler: show
So, this would've been up yesterday, but my power went out so I had no internet.

AND how was that? Not entirely out of character, but mostly out of character? This is why I shouldn't get a sudden burst of inspiration... Next up? Tuuri reading notebooks when she should really sleep.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:02:12 PM by frostykitty »

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1706 on: March 08, 2016, 06:45:40 PM »
While I read what I missed, have chapter eight, and nine is on its way... And if you have any name suggestions (for those weird Y0 lab people,) please messagel me or something! I don't want the names to be odd for the area and such...

WAIT! I think it's too long... Ehhh, I'll check soon... Yeah, too long. By 785 words ;-; So have this link to it

Spoiler: show
So, this would've been up yesterday, but my power went out so I had no internet.

AND how was that? Not entirely out of character, but mostly out of character? This is why I shouldn't get a sudden burst of inspiration... Next up? Tuuri reading notebooks when she should really sleep.

Been so long since I've commented on this. Well, don't think it's entirely out of character for Sigrun to get nasty gashes that need stitching and call it "just a few scratches" - though I also think she's a lot less blase about injuries than she appears at first glance, and you were also right not to have her fight Mikkel on getting her wounds tended.

Also curious where Emil's reluctance to read was coming from? He might have dropped out of school to join the military, but he does still consider himself an academic to some extent. Sigrun's the one who has to be dragged by the ear to get her to read anything. ;)
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

tamaerchen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1707 on: March 08, 2016, 06:51:20 PM »
Mikkel taking them through the scenario was pretty intense - makes you realise that he has been through some really dire stuff himself.

I was worried for a bit when Sigrun was left alone in the building but I'm glad she made it back (mostly) intact. :)

And why number 5 was left alive really is a mystery... Especially considering that they killed 15 trolls after her and stayed there for more than a year!
Fluent: :germany: :uk:
Alright: :spain: :france:
I try: :vaticancity: :norway: :turkey: :ireland: :sign: Yiddish
(I study historical linguistics and like to dig around in various Germanic languages of the last 2000 years or so.)

~Rule no.1: Don't question the Sgru!~

frostykitty

« Reply #1708 on: March 08, 2016, 07:13:11 PM »
I have caught up!
Frogtreader, that was fantastic.
OwlsG0, I had read that in the morning. My friend was trying to sleep on the bus, and I think she was quite annoyed by my laughter.
And finally, SectoBoss, that was amazing as always. I nearly had to skip part of the troll's attack to avoid becoming faint, but I should be fine now.

Emil just isn't interested in reading, it seems... I just feel like Tuuri would try to get him to read. Not that he doesn't want to, more like it's boring, I  suppose. I was wonder if I should've changed that scene, but I had some people look over it and they said it was fine, so it made it through.
Lalli would've told her of any troubles, so Sigrun was just fine. It was only a few small trolls!
And the mystery of 5 will be less-of-a-mystery-but-still-kind-of-a-mystery after chapter nine.

OwlsG0

« Reply #1709 on: March 09, 2016, 01:33:05 AM »
Here's that thing about the gods again, back for a second chapter

[spoiler]

Even if Lalli did have a language in common with Emil, he isn't sure how he would describe what he saw. The whole of last night (which was nearly an eternity, with Reynir happily talking his ear off about sheep), he had about a dozen descriptions teetering on the tip of his tongue. He could have told Reynir, if only he had been certain that Reynir would understand what he was talking about.

It was more of a sensation, than a thing to be seen. The sensation of deep dread, unlike any he had experienced since moving to Keuruu. The dread came in a humanoid form, sure, but when Lalli gathered his courage and managed to look at it, the thing he saw could not be mistaken for human by even the most innocent child.
For one thing, the woman he saw wore only half her flesh. The rest of her was bare, shining bone. She stood, unashamed of her either form of her nakedness, and stared at him with a single socket and a single cold, blue eye.

He became aware of her sometime after the spirits had entered his mage-space. That, in itself, was terrifying. Having whatever those disgusting, warped things were enter his mind was like having his spine plucked out of him, vertebrae by vertebrae. Lalli had barely become conscious of being free from the invaders - possibly due to a glowing angry owl that was either Onni or someone who looked and sounded and felt exactly like him- when the dread came to him.

He took his time collecting his strength, not at all prepared or eager to see what was behind him.

He turned, he saw the woman, and the two of them stood in front of each other for the longest time.

Lalli spoke first. He had to.

"You're not one of mine."
One of his gods. It is easy to look at a god and know you are looking at a god. Everyone who has ever seen a god before knows it is impossible to mistake them for anything else.

"No," her voice was not a real voice- it was made out of the noises shadows make when they first fall to the ground, and the death rattle of a warrior whose body is so full of arrows that they outnumber the bones "I am not. But you are one of mine. There are so few of you left, we have agreed to share."

That sent a horrible chill through him, and he longed to see his family. To see them alive and breathing in front of him, in the place of this half-woman.

He thought it best to get straight to the point "What do you want from me?"

"Nothing that is not already mine. Your life is mine- as are the lives of all who do not die in battle, armed, brave. Do not worry. I am no longer a god of suffering. I think you'll find the after-life a pleasant place to be. At least, easier on your nerves than this world."

It was then that he knew she was lying. Not about who she was. Lalli had no trouble at all believing she was a god made to walk among the dead and collect them in their droves, but what caught her out was the way she spoke of him. 'This world', not 'the world you have just left' or 'the other world'. It was 'this world' and Lalli knew he was being tricked.
His eyes must have flashed with fear or anger (he isn't sure which it would have been) and in the same instant, she knew that he knew.

"Wait." is all she got out before Lalli tore out of his space.

He didn't look back. He didn't search for his luonto or check for trolls before tearing out into the open space between spaces. He just scented the nearest space (Reynir,of course, since he was sleeping about five feet away from Lalli) and dove into it without waiting for permission. On the bright side, Reynir is not an experienced mage and has no idea how blasted rude it is to dive straight into someone's head without first asking. Which is probably why Lalli keeps catching him straying way too close for comfort to his own boundaries.

Lalli knew he was going to have to do something about the encounter when he got up that morning. Firstly, he had managed to actually be scared straight out of a coma. He only had to stretch his back to feel his luonto had crept back where it belonged, sometime between him losing consciousness in the dream world and regaining it in the corporeal. Not only did Lalli get frightened out of his coma, but his luonto got scared straight back into him. That isn't supposed to happen.
Secondly, he saw her again.

Naked as she had been inside his space, and giving no indication at all that she felt the cold. Her arms were limp at her sides. Her black hair was still in the winds that rocked the tank's exterior. The same blue-eye-empty-socket stare was on him.
Lalli glanced at Tuuri and made his decision; Sigrun and Mikkel would stay. If that foreign god wanted to go for his cousin, she could go through Sigrun and Mikkel. It was not the best defense. But it was the only thing he could think of.

Reynir and Emil were coming with him. Reynir, because Lalli knew he was going to need another magical presence, however useless Reynir might actually prove to be. Emil, because Lalli knew he wasn't going to be able to set foot outside the tank today without Emil at his side.

He just hopes he hasn't lead them into something he cannot fight back, or scare off, or, if worst comes to worst, evade, by standing absolutely still and staying completely silent.
I saw the future.