Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780410 times)

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1650 on: March 03, 2016, 05:15:56 AM »
For me it's anything with a good rhythm to it really, and I end up using it as a sort of metronome to write to. Minimalist rock music and electronic stuff works best for me in this regard, although I will try and tailor it to what I'm writing. For example: electro swing for a 20's AU, symphonic rock for one about Sigrun that I'm starting to plan, aggrotech and metal for giants and trolls, that kind of thing. But it must have a clearly defined beat to it that I can pump the words out to, that's the number one concern.
(I've left that link there because that guy is one of my favourite artists on YouTube and I'm determined to spread the word :D)
Now if I put that on I'd just end up playing an Elder Scrolls game instead of writing xD

That Sigrun thingie certainly sounds interesting! I'll check out the artist at some point as well.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1651 on: March 03, 2016, 07:25:41 AM »
Now if I put that on I'd just end up playing an Elder Scrolls game instead of writing xD

That's why I prefer silence. XD Pieces like Unbroken Road or Auriel's Ascension wouldn't work, but Tundra or Skyrim Athmospheres are okay.
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1652 on: March 03, 2016, 08:21:42 AM »
*pokes LooNEY* Nope, streak definitely not broken, I was giggling too much for that to be the case. (Except for the one line of Mikkel's origin story, but someone had to have a tragic backstory...it's like a rule of superheroes, right?) What amuses me most (and maybe only me) is that the "Type 1" and "Type 2" hero classes remind me very much of the old definitions for "Type 1" and "Type 2" diabetes. I'm going to pretend that means I've had superhero powers since age 10. :))
Also I love Reynir's superpower, hehe.

As for your question, OwlsG0, I go back and forth on writing with music. Sometimes I'm more productive with silence, and it's usually hard for me to write if anything I'm listening to has words. I have a Pandora station called "Film Scores" that I write to a lot, and at this point it's evolved to include a lot of instrumental Celtic music and video game tracks too. Other times, I use an ambient noise generator so as to have some sound but not anything as distracting as music.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1653 on: March 03, 2016, 08:31:19 AM »
Music to write by? Anything by Robin Huw Bowen. Wonderful music to concentrate by. Other stuff from time to time, mostly classical or instrumental, but Bowen and Derek Bell are favourites.

And LooNEY, the superhero story looks promising so far! I spotted the same similarity to diabetes as did Kiraly, and wondered about it! Do keep going.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1654 on: March 03, 2016, 08:44:45 AM »
What amuses me most (and maybe only me) is that the "Type 1" and "Type 2" hero classes remind me very much of the old definitions for "Type 1" and "Type 2" diabetes. I'm going to pretend that means I've had superhero powers since age 10. :))
I spotted the same similarity to diabetes as did Kiraly, and wondered about it!
Two of my mom's brothers were Type Is (one died from it); the third and my mom have become Type IIs; my niece and her father (my brother-in-law) are Type Is… Yeah, for a non-diabetic, I have a lot of diabetes experience. That said, the similarity is conscious and deliberate, as I kinda wanted to try to point out the downside to being a superhero (not that Tuuri, for one, would agree).

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1655 on: March 03, 2016, 10:05:13 AM »
And the second chapter of my latest is now up! Offering a perspective on the infected that we haven't really seen before...

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6150565/chapters/14100380

I hope you all like it, even if it is a bit out there!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1656 on: March 03, 2016, 10:45:09 AM »
I'm pretty close to being finished chapter 2 of Forgotten Dream, would anyone like to proofread it?
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1657 on: March 03, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »
I'm pretty close to being finished chapter 2 of Forgotten Dream, would anyone like to proofread it?

I can proof it if you give me a day or two (and I can run a comb through the previous chapter as well, if you want). PM me if that sounds good.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Athena

« Reply #1658 on: March 03, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
I can proof it if you give me a day or two (and I can run a comb through the previous chapter as well, if you want). PM me if that sounds good.

Ok, I pm'd it to you! :))

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Athena

« Reply #1659 on: March 03, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »
And the second chapter of my latest is now up! Offering a perspective on the infected that we haven't really seen before...

I just finished reading both chapters and WOW! That is a good headcanon to have thought up. In the past I have thought about what if the rash was one huge hive mind, and this's a good way of showing it! I patiently await more!

frostykitty

« Reply #1660 on: March 03, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »
Ah! I need to catch up a bi! But I can say the superhero AU and The Old City are GREAT! I only have a few moments, right now, so I'll write real feed back once I read through what I missed!

But, hey, have a chapter seven!
Spoiler: return to silence; part two, chapter seven • show
{chapter 7}

Sigrun missed by fraction of a second. The troll had raked its boney claws down her side a fraction of a second too soon, or else the fight would've been over before it began. But she didn't make the same mistake again.

She looked for a head on the thing, a difficult task. It had four arms and two legs, that's really all you could make out of it. The rest was some abstract, flat shape that seemed to change anytime the troll moved. It's skin was stretched out across its appendages like a bat's wing, and it's head must be somewhere by the top middle... For crying out loud, how did it scream without a stinking face?!

The captain growled and took a chance. It stopped screaming. But it wasn't dead. It ran for Emil, lifting its head from a hiding spot along its chest.

The cleanser yelped and tried to run away, but the troll caught up with him quite easily. His second instinct must have been to try and stab it, a good choice. If he opened his eyes

With an exasperated sigh, Sigrun came running to the rescue. She went for the head, while avoiding Emil's blind stabbing, and killed the troll. It had stopped moving, anyway. Emil shoved it off of him with an 'ew' and stood up.

"It must have been pretty bad, huh?" The captain mused, noting the small numbers printed on the troll's back. '005', it read. "What they did here..."

"I guess..." Emil muttered as he glanced back at the dog. It looked so pitiful. Once golden fur matted and stained. Rash-created, armor-like hide covered its back and sides. A muzzle of bone and a face mutated to an unrecognizable state. "But, my aunt did this kind of thing. They don't torture them or anything,"

"But it's different. I glanced inside one of the journals, yesterday. It said if they didn't capture enough trolls, they infected one of the team."

"What? Well, they must have a better reason than that!"

"They didn't want to wait," Sigrun stated grimly. Emil shivered and looked at the floor. "Now let's go upstairs, already. The scout's already up there."

The third floor was just like the first, just as plain and uneventful. Only instead of peaceful, it was ominous. They were just waiting for some horrible to happen. The only bad thing that happened, though, was Emil falling down the stairs with a pile of books. No matter, they finished in good time. They now sat in the tank, on their way to the new camp.

Lalli slept in the passenger seat, beside Tuuri as she drove through the snowy streets. Reynir had grown tired of practicing runes, so he started doodling all over his paper, instead. He was currently concentrating on drawing sheep. A lot of them. Meanwhile, Emil and Sigrun had returned to their usual spaces, glancing out the window occasionally. Sigrun had already told Mikkel of her findings on the history of the building. He was in Tuuri's office, reading though some of the notes.

Some of the notebooks, he found, were half empty. Most of these had ended in a number stamped on to the paper, some of them even had goodbye letters to their lost family. He thought it odd. After all, why would they infect the few members they had if there was a chance they wouldn't survive long enough to be tested on, anyway? But, of course, they had probably lost hope by then, isolated in the middle of the city with limited food and resources.

At last, Mikkel had found the journal that Sigrun saw. He only knew by the torn out page containing the exact thing she had told him of. He sighed, reading over the page before replacing the few torn pages into their book.

"Sigrun, what happened that you decided to read?" The medic asked smugly from the other room.

Her eyes widened and she looked around the corner of the doorway. "I did not decide to read! The book fell and when I tried to catch it some papers ripped and I - involuntarily - saw a few recognizable words!"

Mikkel smiled faintly at her reaction and continued to look over the books in silence. The sun started to sink as the Cat-tank bumbled into the new camp and the team got ready to search the surroundings.

Spoiler: notessss • show
If you find any major problem with the people doing what they did, tell me. I'm debating on changing it, but that would be no chapter eight for part two.
This isn't over yet, there's a mystery afoot!

I wrote this, literally, like two sentences a day in the morning while half asleep. So, I expect there to be some grammar/spelling mess ups, just point them out and I'll be glad to fix it!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1661 on: March 03, 2016, 10:25:15 PM »
Sectoboss, I've commented on A3O, but will say here, good story, and I look forward to learning more about the intelligences of the cities.

Frostykitty, horrible experiment by the sound of it, but it makes for a good story. Can't wait for what happens next.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

tamaerchen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1662 on: March 04, 2016, 12:00:48 AM »
frostykitty, that sounds quite gruesome! I wonder what they were up to... Also I'm glad they're okay but poor Emil, everything's always after him. :)

As for music, I'm listening to Moddi's Frankenstein soundtrack right now - it's instrumental and great for a creepy/eerie atmosphere. I'm imagining abandoned buildings and dripping water...
Fluent: :germany: :uk:
Alright: :spain: :france:
I try: :vaticancity: :norway: :turkey: :ireland: :sign: Yiddish
(I study historical linguistics and like to dig around in various Germanic languages of the last 2000 years or so.)

~Rule no.1: Don't question the Sgru!~

IKEA

« Reply #1663 on: March 04, 2016, 05:38:34 AM »

Nice job SectoBoss! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1664 on: March 04, 2016, 10:26:16 PM »
While we wait, here's another part of Against All Odds.

(Also, I've been going back through and adding crosslinks to everything to make navigation easier. Hope that it's helpful.)

Previous part

Spoiler: Part 4 • show

“We have to get out of here now!

“Wh-wh…?”

“Because the ship is about to come under attack.”

The group of them stood staring at Agneta, who had just shut her cellphone and was eyeing them all with a grim expression.

“Well what are you waiting for?” she snapped.  “Get moving!”

A loud clanging sound alerted them to a single-purpose killing machine making contact with the outer hull of the ship.

“Well, looks like it’s here.”  Harald armed the EMP with a sigh.

“Wait, that’s it?”  Sigrun had turned from her place behind Mikkel and was now looking at Harald with an expression that might have sent an Agent running.  “We’re just going to give up on them, is that what you’re saying?”

“That Sentinel isn’t going to pretty-please wait for the others to come out.  Once it chews its way to the control room they’ll be gone anyway.  It’s Agneta’s orders,” Harald continued, returning Sigrun’s gaze levelly.  “If it’s a choice between some of us and all of us, then we need to save everyone we can.”  Mikkel could not help but note, though, as his hand hovered over the button, even though there was no possible way that the others could make it back in time now, he did not press it.

Mikkel did not envy him.

Finally, however, there was another clang, and all at once the noise got louder:  “It’s inside.”  Harald pressed his finger to the button…

Someone else’s hand latched onto his wrist.  “Wait.”

“Sigrun, what are you doing?

“Agneta’s in the Matrix, and I’m out here.”  She tightened her grip.  “Until she gets back, that puts me in charge.”

“We can still override you if you’re endangering everyone.”  Harald pulled his hand away, but nevertheless did not repeat his attempt to press the button:  he was willing to hear her out.

“How much time do they need?”

“Five minutes,” Mikkel estimated.  “And that’s the optimistic guess.”

“I’ll give you eight.”  She reached out to grab the gun that was next to the console, charged it, and then turned on her heel toward the stairs.

“Sigrun.”  Mikkel was out of his seat, his hand on her shoulder, and though she stopped at his light touch she did not turn around.  “If you do this, you’re going to die.”

A few precious seconds passed with no sound but the clanging around them.  Then, however, she turned ever so slightly toward him, just enough for Mikkel to see her closed eyes and satisfied smile.

“Exactly the way I always wanted to go.  You don’t get to Valhalla by dying in your sleep.”  Another clang, this one disturbingly close.  “Hold off until every last one of them is out or dead—or until I am.  You know, whichever comes first.”

The violet-eyed grin she flashed him in that moment was simultaneously the craziest and the sanest that he had ever seen.  With a nod, Mikkel lifted his hand from her shoulder and stood back, guarding the unconscious bodies of the crew as best he could, while Sigrun raced up the stairs and the roof of the control room buckled.

The arc from her gun met the oncoming Sentinel in a shower of sparks.

Spoiler: Thoughts on Sigrun • show
No, I don't think that Sigrun is suicidal, or willing to throw her life away on a whim. If at all possible, she'll keep herself and her crewmates alive. But I do read her as being relatively at peace with her own mortality - it's the only way to stay sane in a world where your chosen line of work can literally get you killed at any time. And if she knew that she could give others a fighting chance, I think that it is in-character for her to make this sort of sacrifice - and that while she'd rather not die at all, she would be happy about dying well.

Epilogue
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:23:31 PM by Lazy8 »
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18: