Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780722 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1635 on: February 29, 2016, 10:47:53 PM »
I think it would have to be like the Secret Santa, as we don't have anon posting on this board. I couldn't run something like that myself--I'm too disorganized. That's why I suggested Lazy8 take the helm, as it were. But I'd probably participate.

But-but-but time! And work! And thesis! Argh, I have time to write but I'm not sure whether I could manage much else.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1636 on: February 29, 2016, 11:09:57 PM »
I'm going to have to mull that over a bit before making any commitments. At any rate, I give you this... thing. And then I go to bed.

Edit: I also finally came up with a better title. From now on, this story will be officially known as "Against All Odds."

Previous part

Spoiler: Part 3 • show

Large hands roughly grabbed his jacket, and Gunnar yanked him out of the way as another stray bullet whizzed past his eardrum.

“Pay attention!” Agneta snarled—yeah, she was still mad at him.

“S-sorry.”  Emil, when he moved to brush the dust from his jacket, realized that his hands were trembling.

Agneta continued to stare at him, and for a very brief moment her face softened.  “Our exit is over there,” she pointed out over the skyline, “in an apartment complex next to that radio tower.”  The tower in question was… quite a few blocks away.  “Can you make it?”

“I… yes.”  He’d spent fifteen years wasting his life on a dream; he’d only just managed to land an assignment on a real ship; he wasn’t about to die on his first mission.  This is my chance, he thought.  I have to prove myself.  I have to show everyone that I’m not just some pampered Councilman’s pet—!

“Then stick with us—and don’t fall behind.”  Then, before he could even so much as promise he would, the group of them took off running again.

This isn’t even real! he thought in frustration as his legs burned from the frantic rooftop run.  Why should it be so hard?  Why did everything have to be so hard for him?  When they’d released him from the machines’ dream prison, Emil had thought that he was finally getting his chance.  He’d been given a fresh start, no more dragging school, no more dead-end life… his real-world self didn’t even have the chubby physique that his Matrix self had somehow managed to build up.  At long last, he was going to prove himself.

Instead, though, he’d screamed out loud and flailed like a little kid the first time he’d seen the plugs in his body, failed at programming, been left in panting exhaustion from uploading even a single round of combat training, and set a new record for number of times failing the jump test.  He wouldn’t even be here if Agneta hadn’t owed Uncle Torbjörn some sort of favor—and judging by the exasperation that crept into her voice every time she spoke to him, Agneta didn’t want him here either.

Had he made the right decision, when he’d decided to take the red pill?

Emil was jerked out of his thoughts when the ledge from which he had been jumping exploded beneath his feet, and he half leaped, half fell onto the next building, only barely latching on and banging his face against the edge of the rooftop.  Then, two people were hauling him up by the armpits, and he moaned when he held a hand to his nose and it came away bloody.  Had he actually managed to lose a tooth on that one?

“You can stop to nurse your wounds once you’ve got some real ones.  Now on your feet. Collapse in the ship if you must.”

The ship.  Emil sighed internally as he forced his burning muscles to keep working.  He hoped that at least the Operators were having an easier time of it than he was.

They were still staring at the screens and monitoring the crew’s vitals when the proximity alarm went off.

“Sentinel!” Harald hissed as a diminutive version of the squidlike machine popped up in projection.

“How many?”

“Just the one.  But even one is more than this ship is equipped to handle.”

Sigrun leaned a little bit further over Mikkel’s shoulder, gripping the back of his chair.  “Can they get to the exit in time?”

“They’re nowhere close.”

“We have maybe five minutes,” Harald agreed.  “At the rate Emil moves, they’ll be lucky to get there in ten.”

They turned back to the screens, tension stiffening their bodies as they wondered whether the rest of their crew would make it out alive.

Next part
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:28:18 PM by Lazy8 »

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1637 on: March 01, 2016, 01:06:43 AM »
I'm going to have to mull that over a bit before making any commitments. At any rate, I give you this... thing. And then I go to bed.
[snipitty snip snip]
Why do I sense an oncoming case of survivor's guilt for Emil?

But, anyway, I did it.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1638 on: March 01, 2016, 08:42:22 AM »
Why do I sense an oncoming case of survivor's guilt for Emil?

But, anyway, I did it.

Thanks!

And what do you mean "oncoming"? You do remember the prologue, right? ;)

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1639 on: March 01, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »
Before I started reading SSSS, I didn't even read fanfic, and I never imagined I would write any. However, apparently this fandom can do strange things to innocent little bunnies, such as giving them a sudden urge to write a SSSS/Supernatural crossover. :D

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6112744/chapters/14010919
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1640 on: March 01, 2016, 03:30:48 PM »
Before I started reading SSSS, I didn't even read fanfic, and I never imagined I would write any. However, apparently this fandom can do strange things to innocent little bunnies, such as giving them a sudden urge to write a SSSS/Supernatural crossover. :D

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6112744/chapters/14010919

I never would have thought of doing this AU before, but now that I'm reading it, I have to wonder why it hasn't been done before. It seems like the most obvious choice, now that I can see how well it fits.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1641 on: March 01, 2016, 03:37:34 PM »
I never would have thought of doing this AU before, but now that I'm reading it, I have to wonder why it hasn't been done before. It seems like the most obvious choice, now that I can see how well it fits.
Maybe most SSSS fans have too good taste in TV shows... :D
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

OwlsG0

« Reply #1642 on: March 01, 2016, 03:56:15 PM »
Maybe most SSSS fans have too good taste in TV shows... :D

Up to about Season 5, anyway
I saw the future.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1643 on: March 02, 2016, 07:11:48 PM »
First of all I promise that one day – one day! – I will actually make the time to read everything on this thread.

Secondly, there’s a reason why I try and stick to canon as much as possible: because when I don’t, I end up writing stuff like this. Lalli has the feeling he’s being watched in the dreamworld, and Reynir’s attempts to help are received about as well as you might expect. As for what might be watching them, well, I’m sure it’s not that hard to guess…

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6150565/chapters/14092057

Hope you all like it! Chapter 2 shouldn't be too long... although I've said that before!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1644 on: March 02, 2016, 08:29:37 PM »
Lazy8, Pupunen, SectoBoss: the stories just keep getting better and better....
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1645 on: March 02, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »
Lazy8, Pupunen, SectoBoss: the stories just keep getting better and better....
…Which is my cue to break the streak.

The Red Herring League
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Superhero AU fanfic
Part 2
Prior part
Spoiler: show
Revenge of the Sludge

Lunchtime.

While most people looked forward to eating, Heroes had a decided ambivalence towards their mealtimes, mostly due to the diet necessitated by their powers. Simply put, Heroes went through so much energy so quickly that they had to eat stuff that was so nutrient-dense as to be lethal to ordinary folk.

By the Year 90, the “Heroes’ Feast” mixture was more or less standardized, though the individual chef preparing it always tried to mitigate the less-than-pleasant taste with various seasonings, some more successful than others. But still, the “Heroes’ Feast” was generally known to its consumers as “that inedible sludge”, almost always sulfurously and unprintably qualified.

A fly drifted into the fumes rising from Mikkel’s pot, seized up, and fell to the ground, dead. This was far from unusual; most of the time, the pot had to be kept covered to avoid random insects adding to the seasoning (“Not that they could make it taste any worse,” Sigrun once opined).

Altogether, there were around 300 Heroes, each consuming enough to keep a dozen normals alive, but each acknowledged to be worth 20-100 normals in battle. They were classified into two distinct groups: Type I (early onset), who were born with their powers or manifested them before puberty; and Type II (adult onset), who began developing powers at or after puberty.

Sigrun was a Type I: she’d killed her first grossling while literally still in her cradle. The vermin beast had killed the cat guarding the nursery in preparation for consuming Dalsnes’ future... and had picked the worst possible crib to start with.

Mikkel was a Type II: his first surge of power had made a whole quarantine ward commit suicide--and he’d never quite forgiven himself.

Lalli was another Type I, as his mother had been, so she was ready to deal with raising him--while his parents were still alive.

Emil was a Type I who had tried for years to pretend he wasn’t a Hero at all. Once his family wealth was lost, however, he soon found that the only way he could help was to let his abilities be known.

Tuuri, another Type II, had only started showing her powers two years prior, and she was still caught up in the excitement of becoming a Hero.

Reynir was a Type I, but his power was so subtle that no one had noticed: when he was near people trying to do something, it got done much faster and more easily than otherwise. In some inscrutable way, Reynir Helped.

Right now, Reynir was helping Mikkel dish out the sludge, “a thankless task”, as Mikkel called it (right before Reynir thanked Mikkel for allowing him to help). Each teammate got one heaping bowlful of sludge.

Mechanically munching on his, Emil thought wistfully of the meals he’d enjoyed as a child. Unlike most Type Is, he’d kept his powers so well hidden and disused that he’d been rather a pudgy child. His eyes closed as the memories took hold, and before he realized it, he’d fallen asleep.

Lalli looked up from his meal at a sudden chorus of snores. All around him, the others were slumped over their meals, unconscious, leaving Lalli their only sentry against the vengeful grosslings...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So, that’s Reynir’s power for you: he Helps!

...Also, they all picked their own Hero names, except Lalli, since “the Mrrh” was deemed unacceptable.

tamaerchen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1646 on: March 03, 2016, 01:43:11 AM »
Oh no, Mikkel's "origin story" is so tragic!

But Lalli's kinda made up for it. It's adorable. :)
Fluent: :germany: :uk:
Alright: :spain: :france:
I try: :vaticancity: :norway: :turkey: :ireland: :sign: Yiddish
(I study historical linguistics and like to dig around in various Germanic languages of the last 2000 years or so.)

~Rule no.1: Don't question the Sgru!~

OwlsG0

« Reply #1647 on: March 03, 2016, 02:01:05 AM »
I was wondering: I listen to music when I write, and the music varies according to the genre.
 I was writing for an entirely different fandom this afternoon and found myself listening to a beautiful rendition of one of Allegri's pieces, and there is this note this girl hits that goes so high I'm sure some air planes had to correct their course around it. Anyway, being the SSSS addict I am, I ended up forming a new head-canon for Lalli's voice, even though I'm aware the Finnish spells would sound nothing like the song or the note within it I enjoyed so much.

So I was just wondering, I guess, what kind of music you guys put on to write, if any?
I saw the future.

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1648 on: March 03, 2016, 04:16:24 AM »
LOOney: Come on! You know yourself that your stories are good! :) I laughed about Reynir's super-power, was shocked about how Mikkel's power manifested itself, got all the feels about Emil and pitied them about the grub they have to eat. The poor poor people!!! All those emotions not half an hour after waking up!! I'd say, good work.

R.I.P. poor Bystander Fly. T.T

OwlsGO: Interesting question. I know a few people who have music on when they write, but I am the opposite - it almost always works better for me when there is no sound around me: Middle of the night or with Ohropax. Music creates very strong images for me and those are contra-productive for me since they never fit the story. XD If I have music for writing it's something like the Elder Scrolls soundtracks, John Dowland or Dead can Dance.
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1649 on: March 03, 2016, 04:23:28 AM »
So I was just wondering, I guess, what kind of music you guys put on to write, if any?
For me it's anything with a good rhythm to it really, and I end up using it as a sort of metronome to write to. Minimalist rock music and electronic stuff works best for me in this regard, although I will try and tailor it to what I'm writing. For example: electro swing for a 20's AU, symphonic rock for one about Sigrun that I'm starting to plan, aggrotech and metal for giants and trolls, that kind of thing. But it must have a clearly defined beat to it that I can pump the words out to, that's the number one concern.
(I've left that link there because that guy is one of my favourite artists on YouTube and I'm determined to spread the word :D)

If I have music for writing it's something like the Elder Scrolls soundtracks
Now if I put that on I'd just end up playing an Elder Scrolls game instead of writing xD
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3