Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780500 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1620 on: February 27, 2016, 11:02:33 PM »
I'm not quite caught up but I couldn't wait to share this thing I wrote yesterday! So I made an AO3 account and I'm so excited it's ridiculous. I hope you like it!

(It's got some gender stuff in it, in case you want to avoid that. And with "some stuff" I basically mean that that's the topic.)

Title: Right-Hand Man

"One step at a time", he had told himself. "Make a good first impression, don’t let there be a repeat of what happened at the academy."

Length: 1316 words
Characters: Team minus Reynir (happens after p. 266)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/6120563

Okay, I'll better leave and try not to explode now. :D

I'm certainly putting this on my radar right now - I'm a little too inebriated at the moment to say anything intelligent, but I'll try to leave a review tomorrow.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1621 on: February 28, 2016, 03:27:20 AM »
I wrote a fluffy one-shot today. It takes place right after the current comic page (480, for future readers) and goes in a direction that I imagine the comic will not actually go. (And honestly I hope it doesn't go the way I wrote it, because if so they are seriously vulnerable to troll attack). Anyway, it's about Reynir and Tuuri and is sorta-kinda shippy (less so than what I usually write, but still shippy).

Anyhow, here it is.

I should definitely go to bed now. Deciding to edit and post this after getting home from karaoke with my housemates at 2 am was a MISTAKE, but I hope it will still work in the light of day. *collapses*
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1622 on: February 28, 2016, 04:44:24 AM »
I wrote a fluffy one-shot today. […] I hope it will still work in the light of day. *collapses*
Looks okay to me.

Of course, I just vomited out this:

The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic
Part 25
Caper the Third: The Cave of Time
Part 14
Prior part
Spoiler: show
A Big Brass Band

Hälsingborg stad, Sweden

Emil fiddled with his euphonium desultorily. This whole “Swedish-American Friendship Day” was not really his thing, though hearing about the far-off places some of his old neighbors had moved to was rather interesting.

Really, though, the whole thing seemed more an excuse to sell little Swedish and American flags and other bits of kitsch than to actually celebrate Swedish-American friendship, at least to Emil’s way of thinking. He was pretty sure Lalli agreed, though Lalli tended to non-committal noises when asked questions like that.

Of course, that it was such a big commercial deal was why the Musikers were even here, as part of a massed brass band made up of pro musicians from as far afield as Stockholm; thus Emil’s euphonium. The band was part of a parade featuring a group of cowboy types specializing in fancy riding and rope tricks for events like this; it was one of the few aspects of the whole thing Emil was actually looking forward to.

Emil’s idiot Uncle Torbjörn came into view then, looking nervous as he always did when one of his schemes was about to go bust on him. Sighing, Emil set the euphonium aside and went to his hapless relative’s aid.

Oh, dear. Apparently, the trick riders had pulled their best trick on Torbjörn and vanished before their performance. Oddly enough, though, they’d left their horses and gear behind, meaning if they could find riders, the show could go on.

But where could they find six cowboys?

Well, a cellar beat the sewers any day, if you were to ask Emil Westbrook, and he was pretty sure the others agreed with him, and especially Lalli Ghost-of-Forest.

They made their way out of the cellar and into a pretty sadly makeshift stable, where six horses were waiting. “Hey, pretties,” Reynir crooned as he watched them. “Now who left you all by your lonesomes?”

Just then, an older version of Emil entered the yard, Torbjörn right behind. After a moment, the other Emil snapped his fingers and said, “You’re the guys that covered for us when we were playing for the Boss that one time!” He threw Torbjörn a dirty look, which was ignored. Torbjörn was too preoccupied with the Westerners’ attire and accoutrements.

“Say, how would you folks like to make some quick cash?” Torbjörn asked, his voice at its most oily. In unison, both Emils rolled their eyes. Reynir snorted as well, startling the rest.

The crowds lining the streets cheered and waved wildly as the Band of Six rode proudly down the parade route. Sigrun took it as their due, while the others waved back as best they could while wielding their lassos.

Reynir rather heroically managed to keep from saying “I told you so” even after they were back in the Cave.

As soon as they walked out of the Cave of Time into 1873, the Cave’s mouth collapsed behind them. “Well,” Sigrun observed dryly, “so much for that.” And, collecting their horses, they went back to where their wagon awaited them...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
...And so ends the third caper.

There will be others, though. *Maniacal laughter*

Helsingborg is a “sister” or “twin” with Alexandria, VA, the closest Swedish city to Malmö that I could find with a US “sister” or “twin”. The practice has been around since the Middle Ages, but greatly expanded starting in 1947.

Spoiler: The Complete Links to The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial - A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic - Caper the Third: The Cave of Time • show
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:59:48 PM by LooNEY_DAC »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1623 on: February 28, 2016, 05:52:54 AM »
LooNEY, Kiraly, good stories! A nice way to spend a quiet Sunday evening.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1624 on: February 29, 2016, 03:38:10 AM »
One of the things I really love to do in writing is explore the format. I've decided to do a little bit of exploration for this chapter, and chose to write the whole thing in a series of letters written by the team-mates to their various families. Let me know what you guys think? If it's not too weird or anything?

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5853457/chapters/14053162

By the way, I really enjoyed the super-hero piece. This thread is on a roll of good one-shots and the like right now. Let's keep it up folks!
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
« Reply #1625 on: February 29, 2016, 11:33:43 AM »
One of the things I really love to do in writing is explore the format. I've decided to do a little bit of exploration for this chapter, and chose to write the whole thing in a series of letters written by the team-mates to their various families. Let me know what you guys think? If it's not too weird or anything?

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5853457/chapters/14053162

By the way, I really enjoyed the super-hero piece. This thread is on a roll of good one-shots and the like right now. Let's keep it up folks!

This is great! I like playing around with different formats too, and letters home are a great way to see what characters are thinking about (that they won't necessarily have a reason to say). It's fun seeing the different family dynamics you have going on here - the letters from Mikkel and Sigrun had me cracking up! (Especially Sigrun's sign-offs, and the one-liners from Mikkel.) Reynir's letters are exactly like I would imagine them, and I appreciate how Tuuri and Lalli alternate (and you can always tell which of them is writing even without seeing their names). I also have lots of appreciation for Emil's family correspondence, but I think I'll write that out over on AO3 so as not to spoil anything.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say - I really want to draw the sketches Emil did of Reynir now. So...that might happen, if it's okay with you. :)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:32:43 PM by Kiraly »
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1626 on: February 29, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »
This is great! I like playing around with different formats too, and letters home are a great way to see what characters are thinking about (that they won't necessarily have a reason to say). It's fun seeing the different family dynamics you have going on here - the letters from Mikkel and Sigrun had me cracking up! (Especially Sigrun's sign-offs, and the one-liners from Mikkel.) Reynir's letters are exactly like I would imagine them, and I appreciate how Tuuri and Lalli alternate (and you can always tell which of them is writing even without seeing their names). I also have lots of appreciation for Emil's family correspondence, but I think I'll write that out over on AO3 so as not to spoil anything.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to say - I really want to draw the sketches Emil did of Reynir now. So...that might happen, if it's okay with you. :)

Thanks for that giant review you left on Ao3. I know people are reluctant to do essay-style comments sometimes, but I actually  like reading them. I'm one of those few people who enjoys text-walls, and as well as that, your feedback was really thorough and insightful

Go ahead and draw Reynir, but I would like to ask two things. Could you credit me for the original idea? Also, consider putting a little bit of foam in the corner of Flossy's mouth to make them look like a bucking bronco?
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
« Reply #1627 on: February 29, 2016, 04:23:46 PM »
Thanks for that giant review you left on Ao3. I know people are reluctant to do essay-style comments sometimes, but I actually  like reading them. I'm one of those few people who enjoys text-walls, and as well as that, your feedback was really thorough and insightful

Go ahead and draw Reynir, but I would like to ask two things. Could you credit me for the original idea? Also, consider putting a little bit of foam in the corner of Flossy's mouth to make them look like a bucking bronco?

Oh good, I'm glad you liked the review! I sometimes worry that I go overboard leaving comments, but I also really appreciate when people take time to leave thoughtful comments on my work, so I want to do the same for others. (And I had a lot to say about this chapter, as you've noticed!)

And I will definitely credit you with the idea for the drawings! Plus a link to the fic unless you'd prefer I didn't - usually I try to put links if I do fanworks that are connected to or inspired by other people's creations, so if someone finds the thing I made they can find the thing it's inspired by and enjoy it too. :)
(And yes, foam for Flossy! Even the idea of that picture cracks me up, so hopefully I can do it justice.)

LordoftheThings

• Tumblr
  • what's a "forum"? can I eat it?
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #1628 on: February 29, 2016, 04:41:42 PM »
I LIVE

and to celebrate I have a new chapter for hypothermia to bring it off hiatus

I'm Sorry Emil
You did nothing to deserve what I'm gonna toss at you starting now

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5292065/chapters/14060338
Native: :usa:
Know a Little: :france:
Need to work on learning: :iceland:
I have the rosetta stone why Don't I know this: :netherlands:

Over the Hills and Faraway
For ten long years he'll count the days
Over the mountains, and the seas
A prisoners life for him there'll be

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1629 on: February 29, 2016, 09:15:51 PM »
I LIVE

and to celebrate I have a new chapter for hypothermia to bring it off hiatus

I'm Sorry Emil
You did nothing to deserve what I'm gonna toss at you starting now

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5292065/chapters/14060338

YAY I honestly thought this fic was dead so it's great to see an update! *runs off to review*

Róisín

« Reply #1630 on: February 29, 2016, 10:01:16 PM »
Lordofthethings: good, I was hoping this would continue. Liking the new chapter. But poor Emil!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1631 on: February 29, 2016, 10:08:08 PM »
Oh yes, I have a question, and this seems like the appropriate place to ask it: does this forum ever do fic exchanges? I actually rather enjoy writing oneshots for other people, so doing one for this fandom would be nice as well.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1632 on: February 29, 2016, 10:24:04 PM »
Oh yes, I have a question, and this seems like the appropriate place to ask it: does this forum ever do fic exchanges? I actually rather enjoy writing oneshots for other people, so doing one for this fandom would be nice as well.
The closest we've come have been the "Secret Santas". Why don't you try starting one?

Róisín

« Reply #1633 on: February 29, 2016, 10:32:02 PM »
Fic exchanges? Like stories exchanged between individuals, or posted on the board, or both? The secret santa was fun, wouldn't mind doing something like that.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1634 on: February 29, 2016, 10:42:42 PM »
Fic exchanges? Like stories exchanged between individuals, or posted on the board, or both? The secret santa was fun, wouldn't mind doing something like that.
I think it would have to be like the Secret Santa, as we don't have anon posting on this board. I couldn't run something like that myself--I'm too disorganized. That's why I suggested Lazy8 take the helm, as it were. But I'd probably participate.