Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780120 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1590 on: February 21, 2016, 10:32:39 PM »
So I know I'm resurrecting this like a ghost super late after the fact but I just wanted to say that I found this a really thoughtful response and I've been keeping it in mind as I've been working. It articulates one of my issues with the topic, that I haven't actually decided how I interpret Lalli/Emil's relationship in the comic, and therefore am struggling with how to interpret it for my fic. It's been good advice to not feel obligated to rush and pick a side if I'm not sure how I want to define things yet, so thank you =D

My work weeks have been nuts lately so I haven't had as much time as I've wanted to work on this lately but I did get around to posting chapter three yesterday:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5882653/chapters/13907275

Unfortunately I'm already signed out of AO3 and need to go to bed. Will read and review tomorrow.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1591 on: February 22, 2016, 12:41:57 AM »
So I know I'm resurrecting this like a ghost super late after the fact but I just wanted to say that I found this a really thoughtful response and I've been keeping it in mind as I've been working. It articulates one of my issues with the topic, that I haven't actually decided how I interpret Lalli/Emil's relationship in the comic, and therefore am struggling with how to interpret it for my fic. It's been good advice to not feel obligated to rush and pick a side if I'm not sure how I want to define things yet, so thank you =D

My work weeks have been nuts lately so I haven't had as much time as I've wanted to work on this lately but I did get around to posting chapter three yesterday:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5882653/chapters/13907275

Sure, bro, I sure get the idea of work stopping you from doing anything but working. My school programme is so demanding I have to get up at 6 whenever I want to write. Glad you found my rambling-disguised-as-insight helpful, though, and I look forward to reading more from you!
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1592 on: February 22, 2016, 08:27:02 AM »
These are all great! And LooNEY, didn't comment because I completely missed it! But it's good! And I did like the image of Western Lalli singing to Our Lalli.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

« Reply #1593 on: February 24, 2016, 02:20:00 AM »
Chapter has landed. I repeat, chapter has landed.
In the chapter that will follow this one, we're actually going to get a little bit of plot and, you know, actual story-telling.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5853457/chapters/13977184
I saw the future.

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1594 on: February 24, 2016, 02:58:08 PM »
In the chapter that will follow this one, we're actually going to get a little bit of plot and, you know, actual story-telling.

It's really fun to read! ^w^
I just have a little nitpick (if you don't mind)
Spoiler: show
There shouldn't be any ice on Storsjön during summer. We usually have an average temperature around 15 degrees celsius during summer. (Also no polar bears in Sweden ;) but it was an urban legend after all :P )

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

OwlsG0

« Reply #1595 on: February 24, 2016, 03:16:47 PM »
It's really fun to read! ^w^
I just have a little nitpick (if you don't mind)
There shouldn't be any ice on Storsjön during summer. We usually have an average temperature around 15 degrees celsius during summer. (Also no polar bears in Sweden ;) but it was an urban legend after all :P )

Alright, thanks very much for that one. As you can probably tell I have little no local knowledge of the area. Let's assume Emil fell through in the summer?
And those urban legends are sticking weird animals everywhere. Cougars, honey badgers, wolves and Slender man.
I saw the future.

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1596 on: February 24, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »
Alright, thanks very much for that one. As you can probably tell I have little no local knowledge of the area. Let's assume Emil fell through in the summer?
And those urban legends are sticking weird animals everywhere. Cougars, honey badgers, wolves and Slender man.
You're welcome :) If you have any questions related to Sweden, feel free to ask me :)

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1597 on: February 24, 2016, 06:04:49 PM »

YESSS!!! I'm super into this story and get really excited whenever you update. Sigrun's training methods - and her "revenge list" - are very in-character. I also like how Reynir has scars and stories from shepherding, it's nice to have that undercurrent of "actually pretty tough" beneath his goofy, cheerful exterior. Most people (including me!) tend to focus on his fluffy side.

Also I'm very curious about this other Madsen Emil remembers! You've got me hooked. :)

Spoiler: one tiny critique I keep forgetting to mention • show
I've noticed this in your previous chapters, but forgot to comment on it: You refer to Lalli as a "skald" several times, but he's actually a scout. A skald does more like clerical work, from what I gather.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1598 on: February 24, 2016, 08:57:59 PM »
By any chance, will more Matrix croSSSSover help ease the pain of no Thursday update?

Previous part

Spoiler: Part 2 • show

Sigrun sprang from one building roof to another, trying not to think about the fact that she had at least three different Agents on her tail.

A necessary sacrifice, she had decided.  The more of them were chasing her, the fewer there would be to pay attention to the others and whatever payload they were carrying back to the ship.

Twisting her body midair, she took a brief moment to fire a few shots at the Agents already bending their legs to leap (for all the good it would do her, it never hurt to try) before her momentum forced her to continue the turn.  As the roof of the next building rapidly approached, she tucked, hit the concrete with her shoulders, and rolled right back up to her feet before resuming her frantic run.

That’s three blocks down… only one more to go, and I’ll be home free.

The next roof was considerably lower than the one she had just leaped from.  Even though she bent her knees upon landing, shocks reverberated up her legs upon impact.

Can’t quite escape reality whether it’s real or not, she thought, with more than a touch of irony, even as she reached the far end of the building and swung over the side.

Stinging bits of debris whizzed past her face as bullets whistled through the air around her, impacting the wall of the building behind her to send shards of cement flying out from the wall in a series of miniature explosions.

Crap.  One of the Agents must have found a new host.

Sigrun quickly ducked around the corner of the building, discarding the empty clip from her gun and loading a new one as she went.  The shelter afforded her by the building was temporary, she knew:  they would be on her in seconds if she stayed put.  Cautiously, she peeked out around the corner of the building even as somewhere nearby, a phone began to ring.

The Agent who’d shot at her was still standing in front of the building, his gun lowered and a hand to his ear.  He seemed to be consulting with his fellows—not good—but then his face twisted into a grimace, and he lowered his hand from his ear to dig his fingers into his ribs instead.

What in the world…?

Sigrun had seen a lot of Agents in her time.  Usually it was from a distance, or while running away from them, but everything she’d ever seen or been taught said that they were ruthless, efficient, and extremely conforming.  This was the first time she’d ever seen an Agent stop to scratch.

Don’t waste time thinking, you idiot!  This is your chance!  Pushing off from the wall, she sprinted as quickly as she could manage toward the ringing phone.  More bullets flew through the air around her… there was a sharp stinging at the side of her head as one of them tore through her ear… the ringing was coming from inside of one of the buildings… she growled, crouched, and leaped straight through a window in a shower of shattering glass.  The ringing phone was sitting on top of an empty desk… her hand closed around it even as she was still in her midair flip, and she brought it to her ear right as the muzzle of a gun flashed at her through the newly-broken window…

She gasped as her real eyes snapped open, revealing Mikkel’s face above her.  He kept one hand on her shoulder even as he pulled the plug from the back of her neck, even though Sigrun had calmed down on her own a few seconds after the initial disorientation.  “What happened?”

“Agents.”  She rubbed her forehead as she sat up, taking a few seconds to reorient herself before she stepped out of the chair.  “Three of them.  Figured it’d be better for them to be on my tail than chasing the others.”

“You know Agneta is not going to thank you for that.”

“Yeah.  Well.”  Sigrun grinned as she pushed herself to her feet, making sure to get in a good stretch before making her way over to join Mikkel at the monitors.  “Agneta’s in the Matrix and I’m out here.”  She leaned over Harald’s shoulder to look at the monitors, never mind that it was all just a bunch of green squiggles to her.  “So what are the others doing, anyway?”

“They’re on the move.”

Spoiler: Notes • show
I am much more used to writing martial arts type action than gunfight type action. Hopefully this came out all right.

Next part
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:11:20 PM by Lazy8 »
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1599 on: February 24, 2016, 11:39:51 PM »
So, let's see. Since I last posted, we've had dire peril, Lazy8 near-peril, and OwlsG0 battering-and-bruising.

I suppose I must concur with the below:
These are all great!

…and I'll drop the next bit of the Western here, too.

The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic
Part 24
Caper the Third: The Cave of Time
Part 13
Prior part
A Stand in Time

The first sign of the attack was when the giant trying to climb over Frederik VIII’s Palace tripped the Cure trap they’d rigged against just that chance. It was amazing how much noise grosslings made as they died, presumably in order to bring down more of their hosts upon whatever had killed them, but this time, that was part of the plan.

Amalienborg had been designed and built as a quartet of palaces rather than as a fortification, but in the desperation of Year Zero, its old stones had been reinforced with sandbags and razor-wire to make it one of Copenhagen’s final bastions--a spot where Humanity had stood against the Rash to the bitter end. Neither plague nor grossling had overcome the defenses back then; only starvation had brought the end about.

Now, the bastion that had lain silent for so long again sheltered a rag-tag scrap of humanity against everything the Rash could throw at them--and again, it held. Grosslings trying to infiltrate palace or passage found themselves hopelessly entangled by razor-wire and doused with the Cure, not merely failing, but actively blocking other such attempts.

So it was that the Man in the Black Hat’s dread legions were forced into storming the one open path to their goal; but that meant charging not one but two Sigrun Eides, backed by two sniping Lallis and two Emils with their arsenals.

And yet, while the physical battle raged without, two Reynirs sat within the small, cat-shaped vehicle with their eyes closed and waged war in the Otherworld.

In the world that Reynir walked in his “dreams”, the Man in the Black Hat was exposed for what he was: Darkness Incarnate, a shapeless, formless mass that seemed not simply to block out light, but to actually feast upon it, sucking away every last glimmer into its obscene bulk. This was the foe the two Reynirs faced, but they weren’t quite sure how to overcome it.

The twin battles raged on, but while the grosslings could not overcome the dogged defense without, they were doing much better within. The might of their massed multitudes began to tell, and the two Reynirs found their lights waning, for what could only two do against so many?

Except, they weren’t merely two.

Just as another surge of light-sucking ooze washed against the Reynirs’ bubble of radiance, another Reynir joined them, bearing a cutlass. Then another appeared, the Reynir from Year Three, and another, clutching (of all things) a pair of cymbals.

With each new Reynir came a surge of renewed vigor and vitality. Yet another Reynir appeared, dressed for a raid on Napoleon’s Spanish forces, and the sextet was complete, power surging through them as Darkness was met with Light.

CLASH! went the cymbals, and a burst of Light beyond measure poured into the Darkness, which recoiled in pain and perplexity. CLASH! CLASH! CLASH!

The Darkness was on the wane now, receding reluctantly against the ever-intensifying Light.

CLASH!

Now the six Reynirs surrounded the Man in the Black Hat, who howled in outrage that he should be brought low by such as they. He was literally on his knees now, but still defiant.

CLASH!

The mass of dead grosslings had made it difficult to locate the Man in the Black Hat’s body, but only the two Reynirs were confident that he’d died until they finally did. The Western Sigrun insisted on checking the body for certain specific marks even then, just to be sure.

Even amidst such carnage, the twelve of them wolfed down the entire morning batch of local Mikkel’s trademark ‘inedible sludge’, not that that kept any of them from complaining about the sludge. After that, it came time for goodbyes.

Having given their local counterparts the last stirring rod for making the Cure (and Lalli-to-Lalli notes on making more like it), the Westerners went back to where they’d debouched from the Cave of Time.

“So,” Sigrun asked Reynir, “is it ‘home again, home again, jiggity jig’ at last?”

“Well,” Reynir replied, “we really should make one more stop along the way...”

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show
So, this is the penultimate part of this caper, at long last.

The next bit is more of an epilogue, but I hope you’ll find it to be fun.

OwlsG0

« Reply #1600 on: February 25, 2016, 12:44:46 AM »
YESSS!!! I'm super into this story and get really excited whenever you update. Sigrun's training methods - and her "revenge list" - are very in-character. I also like how Reynir has scars and stories from shepherding, it's nice to have that undercurrent of "actually pretty tough" beneath his goofy, cheerful exterior. Most people (including me!) tend to focus on his fluffy side.

Also I'm very curious about this other Madsen Emil remembers! You've got me hooked. :)

I've noticed this in your previous chapters, but forgot to comment on it: You refer to Lalli as a "skald" several times, but he's actually a scout. A skald does more like clerical work, from what I gather.

Great, I'm glad you're liking it! The Madsen Emil remembers will actually be indirectly introduced in the next chapter, which is going to be a series of letters written over  break they all took from school. Let's just say the Madsen Emil does remember turns our Madsen from a mature, emotionally-balanced adult to a petulant child in the blink of an eye
I saw the future.

OwlsG0

« Reply #1601 on: February 25, 2016, 02:54:51 AM »

In response to that skald thing, thanks for picking that up.
I kind of assumed that term was inter-changable with scout because I've seen them refer to Lalli as on several times, but if I get the chance I'll go back and change it. Thanks again.
I saw the future.

AquaAurion

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1602 on: February 25, 2016, 05:23:55 AM »
In response to that skald thing, thanks for picking that up.
I kind of assumed that term was inter-changable with scout because I've seen them refer to Lalli as on several times, but if I get the chance I'll go back and change it. Thanks again.
Where did you see Lalli referred to as such? (Tuuri on the other hand is a skald)

(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

OwlsG0

« Reply #1603 on: February 25, 2016, 07:17:29 AM »
Where did you see Lalli referred to as such? (Tuuri on the other hand is a skald)

It may have been only in my brain. 'Tis a dusty, unreliable instrument on its best days and a soot-farting jalopy on its worst.
I saw the future.

frostykitty

« Reply #1604 on: February 25, 2016, 05:58:56 PM »
Skald is something else, I think it's someone how recites stories, right? Something along those lines? Possibly? I don't know.
So how about another chapter amongst my confusion?
Spoiler: return to silence; part two chapter six • show
{chapter 6}

The chair was set to the side with the other and the desk. Sigrun unlocked the door, the quiet non-kicking way, and opened with a sneer and raised knife. Nothing came. Not immediately, anyway. But the moans were louder. They kept growing in volume. They started to echo.

This room was at least four times the size of the others that made up the 'maze'. There were a few cylinder tanks of various sizes, Emil recognized them from Siv's workplace. Two were broken, the others empty. The cries seemed to be coming from around the wall.

That's when they heard the tap of claws on tile.

Sigrun's arm reached out and pushed her teammates back. The sound stopped, but not the moaning, when the beast looked around the corner. It's face was unrecognizable, misshapen and distorted from the disease. It let out a low, pitiful whimper as the troll's voice grew quicker. It must be the dog's name.

"BJÖRNNN... BJÖRNNN..." It commanded, a harsh tone to its awful voice. The beast cowered and whined. Then, with a apologetic look, it lunged.

Sigrun growled and brought down her knife. The blade slid off of the beast dog's disfigured hide without leaving a mark. Gritting her teeth, she kicked it off, narrowly missing a bite on the wrist. Björn hit the wall, hard, and yelped as it fell. It didn't move for a few seconds.

~Bjorn looked at the humans in agony. He didn't want to hurt them. He always hurt them! He tried to resist his commands, but he had been trained all too well. He couldn't go against his master's will, not again. The last time he did that, he was brought here to be tested on. It was just one mistake! But he couldn't do it again, whatever it was.

~Maybe these new humans would get rid of his sick? They would heal him and his human, they could do that, right? But how would they help him if they were dead?

~"BJÖRN!" That was his master, his master was shouting. He couldn't disobey orders, no, he couldn't!

The beast whined again, but got up all the same. Sigrun had neared it, about to check if it was dead. She now lashed out with her knife as it leaped, this time wounding the creature across its chest. It let out a high-pitched howl and tumbled to the side. She went in for the kill.

Meanwhile, the boys watched silently.

"Should we help?" Emil asked uncertainly, glancing at the scout before looking back to Sigrun and the dog beast. "I mean, I think she has it under control, but I feel weird not helping... But, then again, I don't want to get in the way or she might attack me..." Lalli offered no reply for a few moments. Sigrun had now pinned Björn down.

"She can handle it." He mumbled.

~Björn howled and howled for help, for his master. No one came. The fire-haired human held him to the floor with a hand on his stomach. Then he saw the flash of the knife. Could that be the cure? The humans were here to heal them! He would be safe now! He would never be sick again! He wouldn't have to hurt anyone anymore! Shhk

Sigrun straightened and looked over to her teammates. She beckoned them over.

"Come on, let's get that troll!"

They followed her to the beaten-up, blood-stained wall the troll was sheltering behind. It was probably a hallway to another room, without all of the unnatural doors the rest of the floor had. Emil noticed something, it was silent. The troll wasn't speaking anymore.

The floor creaked from behind the wall. The captain grinned psychopathically.

A scratching sound. It elevated to punching. A small crack appeared on the wall. The wall burst as the monster let out a hideous screech.

Spoiler: notessss • show
uh, yeah, there. This chapter reallly didn't come out how I wanted it to. It wasn't rushed or anything, but it's just... meh... I was hoping for so much better! but... this. This is what I wrote and I'm terribly disappointed with it.

Anyway, the dog beast wasn't like spider dog. A better description will be in future not fight scene chapter.