Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780268 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1515 on: February 08, 2016, 06:01:44 AM »
Question for the group: Is there a defined line between what gets considered shippy and what doesn't? Does something have to be explicit about characters' romantic interest/attraction to be called shippy or does ambiguous/open to interpretation qualify too?

I'm basically wondering at what point I may need to acknowledge I'm writing a shippy fic vs one about really good friends haha

My suggestion would be: if it goes 'above and beyond' (as it were) anything we've seen in the comic, count it as shipping. Personally I've found the line to differ quite a bit depending on who you ask, so I guess using the comic as a reference we're all familiar with might not be a bad idea.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Dire

« Reply #1516 on: February 08, 2016, 11:46:23 PM »
Cool, I appreciate everyone's thoughts on it. That helps guide me on how I should tag the next chapters. I think I'm in the grey area at the moment, there's definitely nothing explicit one way or the other. I just wasn't sure if I should forewarn potential readers that they might read my fic and find it romantically inclined, if they happen to interpret it that way.

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1517 on: February 08, 2016, 11:54:37 PM »
Cool, I appreciate everyone's thoughts on it. That helps guide me on how I should tag the next chapters. I think I'm in the grey area at the moment, there's definitely nothing explicit one way or the other. I just wasn't sure if I should forewarn potential readers that they might read my fic and find it romantically inclined, if they happen to interpret it that way.
Seems legit. I think that, in this fandom, there are few enough antis that nearly everyone who reads it romantic will be a shipper and therefore ok with however it goes. :D
(Also it is a beautiful lovely fic. You capture them so well!)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

frostykitty

« Reply #1518 on: February 09, 2016, 12:45:52 PM »
Well, since I was sent home, sick, I figured 'hey, let's write' So I bring to you... Chapter Seven!
If I didn't stop it where I did, it would have been pretty long. One more chapter and it's done, I think so.
Spoiler: return to silence; part one, chapter seven • show
{chapter 7}

Erika turned around to face the healer as he shared the news. The grim news. Her eyes widened and her jaw fell limp. She tried to speak, but her voice failed her as she stepped back, slowly shaking her head. Emil had been watching through the window with Tuuri, but now fell back and sat on the floor, slumped against the wall. Tuuri sat beside him and put a hand on his shoulder. Reynir tilted his head and glanced out the window to see the girl cleanser collapsed in the snow, hiding her face in her hands.

She had tried to take off into the Silent lands, but Ivar had caught her by the wrist first. She was now sitting on the ground, sobbing quietly in to her hands. They would either leave her here to mutate or die, or they would shoot her. Either way, she wouldn't be going back home. She wouldn't see her family again. She wouldn't get to apologize to them for everything she was sorry for. Never hear their voices again. She wouldn't even go back to say goodbye to her teammates. This was no brave or valiant death, this was pathetic. She was being euthanized, like a horse with a broken leg. She was deemed broken beyond repair and killed off, just like that. She had done nothing wrong. Never hurt anyone. Never stolen. The only thing she had ever done was to help. Sure, maybe minor mistakes... But bruises healed. Books were replaced.

She flinched as she felt an arm around her shoulders. It was Emil, who had come out of the tank to sit with her. Sigrun was getting herself decontaminated, Lalli was going back inside. Like someone hadn't just gotten a death sentence. She barely looked up as her friend spoke.

"I'm sorry... I-" Erika shook her head. He sighed and shut his mouth, head on his hand.

"At least it's pretty, here..." She mumbled, wiping her eyes with her sleeve."I'll be -" she paused, laying back and looking at the sky, "- fine... Do you know who's the one taking care of me? Or are you just going to leave me here?" The questions were monotone.

"Ehhh, we probably won't just leave you here..." Emil frowned. He didn't want to think about who would shoot her. Not him... He fell back to lay beside her and look at the sky.

Bright bands of scarlet stretched around the horizon, fading in to a rainbow of colors before reaching a bold dark blue on the other side of the sky. Mikkel and the two older cleansers were talking quietly about what to do. The snow glistened, sparks of the sunset dancing about the surface as the wind stirred. The chipped and broken glass of the home windows reflected the pure flame of the crimson sun. The homes themselves were tinted with the light, many of them with collapsed roofs or walls.

Greenery flourished in these spots. Growing from every small fracture in stone brick or drywall, every unprotected book page, every small tear in the fabric of furniture. The small buds were tilted to the dying red light. Lichens grew on the tattered drapery of windows, some clung to the russet bricks. Mosses crept across any and every surface they could. It was peaceful here, in this circle of old houses. Long forgotten, but not lifeless.

"So this'll be the last goodbye, huh?" Erika inquired, holding her friend's hand. Emil sighed and closed his eyes.

"I suppose it will be..."

Spoiler: notessss • show
DESCRIPTION, WOAH THERE IS ONE! Somewhat, hahaha...
My mind is a little astray right now, I nearly passed out in school because health class is awful and yeah, so I don't know if there are any mistakes or not? Could be, I just don't see them? I don't, know, just tell be in you find one.
See you nest chapter to wrap up part one, I guess. And I do kind of have HALF an idea for a part two. By part two I mean like a whole new story, but same setting and stuff, or whatever

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1519 on: February 10, 2016, 11:58:53 PM »

The good thing with a piece of fiction like SSSS is the characters and their relationships are set up in such a way that they could go either way. We do know Minna prefers saga friendships to romance, which I think makes stories far more interesting sometimes. For example, there's been a recent blow-up over Mikkel and Sigrun because they had an entertaining interaction lately, with the mutiny list. This in my mind made them a bromance (a bromace so strong I think I feel a one-shot coming on, concerning exactly how bromancy they are), but in many others it is romantic.

We are conditioned to think of any male-female relationship as a romantic one waiting to happen, but you've got a little more wiggle-room because that is not so much the case with a gay couple. I think for now, sticking to the grey area is a good idea because it is what you're comfortable with. As your story goes on (and I am crossing my fingers it will progress soon because WOW I LOVE IT) you might find yourself leaning more towards one side or the other. If you are not yet sure, give yourself a little time to think about the way you want Emil and Lalli to end up.
Either way, I'm sure the result will be satisfying for your readership.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

frostykitty

« Reply #1520 on: February 11, 2016, 06:18:10 PM »
*Edit* IT WAS ONLY A FEW HUNDRED WORDS OVER!
But, it's FINALLY FINISHED! This chapter was being a pain to write because I wasn't entirely sure how Emil would deal with a loss, but I hope I got it right.
It was going to be shorter, but then story time happened so that made it a bit longer... eheheh... It's freshly written though, tell me of any grammar mistakes and such
WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, HERE'S CHAPTER EIGHT!
Spoiler: the notessss • show
"Lalli grumbled something and crossed out the dashed path with a vengeance." Haha, he may or may not have nearly missed running in to something along that path...
I'll write a part two when I get an idea. It will have nothing to do with this, other than the same setting. I don't like messing with cannon timeframes, it's just weird for me, I don't like it. If you saw something that seemed very out of character, please tell me and possibly say how I could try to fix it.

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Hi. I'm G0vnah, or Stanley, or Stan. Whichever.
« Reply #1521 on: February 11, 2016, 07:14:39 PM »
*Edit* IT WAS ONLY A FEW HUNDRED WORDS OVER!
But, it's FINALLY FINISHED! This chapter was being a pain to write because I wasn't entirely sure how Emil would deal with a loss, but I hope I got it right.
It was going to be shorter, but then story time happened so that made it a bit longer... eheheh... It's freshly written though, tell me of any grammar mistakes and such
WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, HERE'S CHAPTER EIGHT!
Spoiler: the notessss • show
"Lalli grumbled something and crossed out the dashed path with a vengeance." Haha, he may or may not have nearly missed running in to something along that path...
I'll write a part two when I get an idea. It will have nothing to do with this, other than the same setting. I don't like messing with cannon timeframes, it's just weird for me, I don't like it. If you saw something that seemed very out of character, please tell me and possibly say how I could try to fix it.

I just walked in here to inquire about something, but that can wait - your story has caught my attention, and I wanna know: is there any way I could have a link to the first chapter, please? :3
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

frostykitty

« Reply #1522 on: February 11, 2016, 07:30:08 PM »
Oh, sure! Chapter one, and every other chapter is just hidden among the pages leading to this one.

What was your inquiry?

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1523 on: February 11, 2016, 07:31:35 PM »
Frostykitty: was that your last chapter? I'm curious to see what happened after.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1524 on: February 11, 2016, 07:32:49 PM »
Oh, sure! Chapter one, and every other chapter is just hidden among the pages leading to this one.

What was your inquiry?
Thanks! I shall binge to my heart's content soon.

Oh, and my inquiry was about whether a fanfic of mine could be linked here or not, but - like I said - it can wait until you get some feedback on yours (don't wanna "cut in line" as it were). ^_^
ABOUT ME: INTJ; Writer/Filmmaker/Storyteller/Animator/Musician; Coffee Addict; Christian Fundamentalist; Pizza lover; Fan of Sweeney Todd (esp. the 2001 Concert Version); American, English speaker; Used to know Spanish; Want to learn Spanish (again), Gaelic, Irish, German, Russian... heck, anything, really; Chances of actually finding time to learn another language: slim to none; Sci Fi Geek; Film Geek; Fantasy Geek; "Steveles" on Fanfiction.net; KS City Chiefs Fan

frostykitty

« Reply #1525 on: February 11, 2016, 07:38:05 PM »
It is the last, but there will only be a small time skip between part one and two (one to two days, I'm thinking)
Spoiler: basically, • show
the cleansers got home safely, they told the others about Erika, and then the team left to their mission. The mission may or may not have been too eventful, depends... I need to think of another plot (I have an inkling of one) to figure out what all would've changed. I'm thinking pretty uneventful, but not many books, either.

You can link it, there's no line  ;D

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1526 on: February 11, 2016, 07:40:17 PM »
Ah, well, okay then. My original question would've been this:

[shyly enters this thread]
Um... hi. I, uh... I have a thing I'm doing on FanFiction.net, where I'm posting a series of vignettes in one fanfic. It's an "Inside Out" fanfic, but with a twist - each entry is a guessing game, and is set in the mind of characters from other works of fiction (comics, movies, tv shows, books, etc.). I describe what's happening in the mind in vague terms, then pull back to reveal the answer of whose mind it is and what's going on in it. Then - after that - I post the clues I gave. Also, the emotion genders are randomized to avoid arguments over how to interpret them.

ANYWAYS, I bring this up only because I just posted an entry centered around a character from SSSS and was wondering if this would be the place on the forum to share a link, or not?

So, yeah, that's just the question is all. What's this thread's stance on "crossovers" such as that?

frostykitty

« Reply #1527 on: February 11, 2016, 07:46:45 PM »
I imagine it's just fine! We have a few crossover stories here, so that's fine.

G0vnah

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1528 on: February 11, 2016, 08:10:44 PM »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1529 on: February 11, 2016, 09:59:50 PM »
Well, that's an interesting mind. Well caught. I hope you'll do it again!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!