Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780446 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1485 on: February 06, 2016, 08:20:12 PM »
So for those of us who use A03, how many pages would you post at once? I've been on it for like, two years, but have never written as much for one chapter that I just churned out. 13 pages, and all of them full, full, full.

Would you guys post 13 pages in one go, or split them up a little bit? I'm more inclined to, for the sake of the narrative flow, post 13 pages in one go, but would you guys have a problem with reading that much in one go?

Pages can vary depending on font size/formatting, so... what is your wordcount? My estimate comes out to about 4.5k, does that sound about right? For anything under 5k, I would just post it at once - it isn't that much to read. Especially if the narrative doesn't have a place where it divides up neatly.
And even for larger wordcounts, I do think the more important part is whether it can divide up in an unobtrusive way, rather than the length itself.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:23:12 PM by Yuuago »
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1486 on: February 06, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »
So for those of us who use A03, how many pages would you post at once? I've been on it for like, two years, but have never written as much for one chapter that I just churned out. 13 pages, and all of them full, full, full.

Would you guys post 13 pages in one go, or split them up a little bit? I'm more inclined to, for the sake of the narrative flow, post 13 pages in one go, but would you guys have a problem with reading that much in one go?

I've posted 20-something pages in one go. It ought to depend on how you want to break up the story, not on a strict word quota.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1487 on: February 06, 2016, 08:39:36 PM »
Pages can vary depending on font size/formatting, so... what is your wordcount? My estimate comes out to about 4.5k, does that sound about right? For anything under 5k, I would just post it at once - it isn't that much to read. Especially if the narrative doesn't have a place where it divides up neatly.
And even for larger wordcounts, I do think the more important part is whether it can divide up in an unobtrusive way, rather than the length itself.

My word count is actually somewhere up in the 6000's, but I found that I kinda couldn't stop the narrative anywhere that wouldn't end up stretching out the length of the story. Thanks for your advice, bro
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1488 on: February 06, 2016, 08:55:10 PM »
I would say just post it in one swell foop, but my ficreading habit is to open a bunch of fics and then read them while I'm somewhere with no internet, so I don't like chapters much. idk what other people like.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1489 on: February 06, 2016, 08:59:35 PM »
My word count is actually somewhere up in the 6000's, but I found that I kinda couldn't stop the narrative anywhere that wouldn't end up stretching out the length of the story. Thanks for your advice, bro

Ah yeah, in that case, definitely do it all at once. 6k still isn't that bad, and not interrupting the flow is most important. : )

my ficreading habit is to open a bunch of fics and then read them while I'm somewhere with no internet, so I don't like chapters much. idk what other people like.

If it's on Ao3, you can select "view entire work" on chaptered fics to see it all at once (it's in the buttons above the header when you open a fic up, left side). Or you can manually append ?view_full_work=true to the end of the URL after the work ID.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

frostykitty

« Reply #1490 on: February 06, 2016, 09:03:41 PM »
I do the same thing as Noodly Appendage most of the time, whoops...
But if there is no place to split it up and still making sense, I say all at once.

I was hoping chapter Seven might be ready to upload today... I was mistaken. Hopefully before Monday, but I make now promises due to my enemy, WORDING.

Dire

« Reply #1491 on: February 06, 2016, 10:01:03 PM »
Thirteen pages doesn't seem too daunting for one post. I read way more in a sitting from books I download.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1492 on: February 06, 2016, 11:02:39 PM »
I don't like chapters much.
I do the same thing as Noodly Appendage most of the time, whoops...
And on that note, I post the next chapter. *sigh*

Madsen’s Malmö Mayhem
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part 2
Prior part
Spoiler: show
It Got Worse

Year 0, Day 5

“It looks like a cat.”

Lalli’s dry observation seemed to echo in the stunned silence that followed the arrival of the strange-looking vehicle at their base of operations, a carefully unobtrusive warehouse buried amongst many others just like it in the much-reduced-but-still-truly-massive harbor complex. Ever since the multi-tracked vehicle had slllllllooooooowwwllllyyy pulled up to their door, Tuuri had been in an uncharacteristically shocked silence.

Eventually, a door on the side slid open, revealing a figure of medium size topped by a head bearing the same nose, eyes and hair as the other Hotakainens, so Mikkel felt it safe to assume this was another of their clan.

The sight jolted Tuuri out of her silence. “Onni!” she exclaimed in Finnish, “what are you doing here?”

Mikkel had a passing acquaintance with the Finn tongue, so he caught the gist of their conversation. From what they didn’t say, Mikkel gathered that Onni was more or less a complete shut-in; agoraphobe, anthrophobe, germophobe, and several other -phobes.

From what they did say, Mikkel gathered that Onni was also even better with computers than Lalli, so when he heard that Denmark was closing its borders, he’d plucked up his courage and joined his family, “borrowing” this semi-experimental vehicle from the training facility where it was being evaluated along the way.

“Blah blah blah positive air pressure blah blah advanced filtration and purification systems blah blah.” Tuuri was eating the tech talk up, while Sigrun and Emil looked increasingly bored. Lalli had already slipped into the vehicle to check out Onni’s hacking set-up, while Reynir had slipped back into the building to see whether he could whip up something nice for the new arrival.

“That’s all very nice,” Sigrun said, her tone contradicting her words, “but is there any, y’know, weaponry aboard?”

“Maybe just a flamethrower?” Emil asked, obviously trying not to sound too hopeful.

Onni looked nonplussed when Tuuri relayed the questions. His answer was obviously the Finnish for “no”.

“Well, that thing’s just a waste of space, then.” Sigrun crossed her arms truculently, if not outright pugnaciously.

“It got Onni here, which is good enough for me!” Tuuri flared up in another uncharacteristic outburst.

Emil butted in, trying to play peacemaker, but the two girls were already metaphorically snarling and growling at each other in preparation for an air-clearing brawl, ill-timed though it might be, so both verbally slashed at him until he retreated.

“YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS!”

The world seemed to stop in confusion. Lalli had screamed? Lalli, the quietest of the quiet? Then, into the silence, a professional ‘news presenter’ voice started speaking in Finnish.

“...confirmed that two of the original patients did die earlier today.”

As the news went on, Tuuri gave a rough translation, her voice thin with fear. No recoveries. No “in good condition”. No cure yet, or perhaps ever.

“What were you saying about the air filtration again?” Sigrun asked Onni quietly...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show

Gee, I wonder if they’ll make it to Year 3? /mikkel

frostykitty

« Reply #1493 on: February 06, 2016, 11:17:58 PM »
Ah! It's not that I don't like chapters, it's just that I end up reading things when I'm in the car or something, without internet...

I like how Lalli is the one getting their attention, and I feel like Emil would be the one stuck in the middle of an argument. I will be eagerly awaiting the next instalment!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1494 on: February 06, 2016, 11:52:15 PM »
LooNEY: I do like Sigrun's sudden change of heart. And Onni stealing the tank.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

« Reply #1495 on: February 07, 2016, 02:38:56 AM »

Madsen’s Malmö Mayhem

I honestly love the way Emil and Sigrun are both just like 'can we blow stuff up' then get grumpy like children when they find out Onni has only been pragmatic about their health, rather than the amount of boom-booms there is to be had.
I saw the future.

OwlsG0

« Reply #1496 on: February 07, 2016, 02:54:22 AM »

Madsen’s Malmö Mayhem

I honestly love the way Emil and Sigrun are both just like 'can we blow stuff up' then get grumpy like children when they find out Onni has only been pragmatic about their health, rather than the amount of boom-booms there is to be had.

What in the heck happened to this format? This is what happens when you post while your cats are on the keyboard.
I saw the future.

Aogera

« Reply #1497 on: February 07, 2016, 04:33:42 AM »
Hello,  I have a thing. It's http://archiveofourown.org/works/4922551/chapters/11294539 (link bcos long)

I've been writing it for a while now but never thought to share it here (clearly my capacity for overlooking the obvious is strong).

Warning: it's shippy. I know that's not everyone's style.

I think I must have read every ssss fanfiction on a03 and I love the community's fun loving vibe. I think one of the reasons minna's characters are so fun to write is because of how well crafted they are.

OwlsG0

« Reply #1498 on: February 07, 2016, 07:39:23 AM »
Hello,  I have a thing. It's http://archiveofourown.org/works/4922551/chapters/11294539 (link bcos long)

I've been writing it for a while now but never thought to share it here (clearly my capacity for overlooking the obvious is strong).

Warning: it's shippy. I know that's not everyone's style.

I think I must have read every ssss fanfiction on a03 and I love the community's fun loving vibe. I think one of the reasons minna's characters are so fun to write is because of how well crafted they are.

Ah! Welcome, new friend! I haven't read your fic as of posting this but I am looking forward to this. Anyway, welcome and we do hope you enjoy being indoctrinated and engulfed by the ways of the Minnions!

Also, to the other guys, remember that 13 page chapter which was discussed at great length earlier?
Well here it is
http://archiveofourown.org/works/5853457/chapters/13658758

And thanks for all your input
I saw the future.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1499 on: February 07, 2016, 08:37:40 AM »
Aogera: I've been following your tale with interest, and yeah, it's shippy, but still sweet. Looking forward to the next chapter.

OwlsGo: I'm about to read your epic. Hopefully I'll emerge before morning!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!