Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780072 times)

frostykitty

Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1425 on: January 28, 2016, 07:30:11 PM »
Okay, sorry it took a bit longer than expected. Distractions in the form of math homework came along...
Here's the prologue to the little story, just put together so forgive any mistakes.
Spoiler: show
{prologue}
     Emil crossed his arms with a fake grumble as they laughed. Tuuri shook her head, stifling a giggle, "I don't think that could've happened..." The cleanser scoffed.
   "It did! It did! They all respected me after that!" He said, accidentally smiled. "I killed the giant Sigrun-style, I'm telling you!" Sigrun reached over from her seat and ruffled his hair.
   "I'm flattered..." The captain grinned before breaking out in to laughter again. Lalli glowered at them all from his corner, mumbling something about 'too loud'. Reynir and his fellow mage were the only ones not laughing. The Icelander looked, almost, star struck, as if he believed Emil's story. They had all just finished swapping their stories from the past, what was it now, maybe three? years they had been apart. The first mission was such a success! No one had died, so that was, of course, an improvement from the expectations. But many of the books, though they were of various subjects and odd topics, had been valuable. Another improvement.
  So obviously, if it went well the first time, it must end even better the second time. Thus another mission was soon planned and the old crew notified. They all accepted, Reynir grudgingly, and gathered at the base as soon as they could. Now they were fully prepared (amazingly) and enjoying their week of peace together before heading out in to the Silent World once again. This time, it was somewhere north... Between Norway and Sweden's northern most cleansed areas, but a little farther in to the Silent lands.
   Lalli had learned some Swedish from his cousin over the years so he could communicate with the others if they ever met again. A troll had nearly broken in to Keuruu. Tuuri had been promoted. The basic news and a few stories from those two. Emil, of course, had all of his 'adventures' from working as a cleanser. Sigrun had her riveting tales of danger and suspense from troll hunting. Reynir had begun the proper form of education for mages. And now he could do something more than see 'ghosts', Emil had mused. Mikkel seemed reluctant to share anything, more interested in listening to the others.
   Eventually, they decided, they had to get some sleep. So off they went. They all had dreams of the months of adventure they had shared those few years ago, and, unsurprisingly, Lalli had ended up sleeping under someone's bed.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:34:09 PM by frostykitty »

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1426 on: January 28, 2016, 07:37:20 PM »
Okay, sorry it took a bit longer than expected. Distractions in the form of math homework came along...
Here's the prologue to the little story, just put together so forgive any mistakes.
{prologue}
     Emil crossed his arms with a fake grumble as they laughed. Tuuri shook her head, stifling a giggle, "I don't think that could've happened..." The cleanser scoffed.
   "It did! It did! They all respected me after that!" He said, accidentally smiled. "I killed the giant Sigrun-style, I'm telling you!" Sigrun reached over from her seat and ruffled his hair.
   "I'm flattered..." The captain grinned before breaking out in to laughter again. Lalli glowered at them all from his corner, mumbling something about 'too loud'. Reynir and his fellow mage were the only ones not laughing. The Icelander looked, almost, star struck, as if he believed Emil's story. They had all just finished swapping their stories from the past, what was it now, maybe three? years they had been apart. The first mission was such a success! No one had died, so that was, of course, an improvement from the expectations. But many of the books, though they were of various subjects and odd topics, had been valuable. Another improvement.
  So obviously, if it went well the first time, it must end even better the second time. Thus another mission was soon planned and the old crew notified. They all accepted, Reynir grudgingly, and gathered at the base as soon as they could. Now they were fully prepared (amazingly) and enjoying their week of peace together before heading out in to the Silent World once again. This time, it was somewhere north... Between Norway and Sweden's northern most cleansed areas, but a little farther in to the Silent lands.
   Lalli had learned some Swedish from his cousin over the years so he could communicate with the others if they ever met again. A troll had nearly broken in to Keuruu. Tuuri had been promoted. The basic news and a few stories from those two. Emil, of course, had all of his 'adventures' from working as a cleanser. Sigrun had her riveting tales of danger and suspense from troll hunting. Reynir had begun the proper form of education for mages. And now he could do something more than see 'ghosts', Emil had mused. Mikkel seemed reluctant to share anything, more interested in listening to the others.
   Eventually, they decided, they had to get some sleep. So off they went. They all had dreams of the months of adventure they had shared those few years ago, and, unsurprisingly, Lalli had ended up sleeping under someone's bed.

Ooh, I like it! I'm excited to see where you will take this, it's an interesting start! You represent the characters well, their personalities are on-point.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

frostykitty

« Reply #1427 on: January 28, 2016, 08:42:36 PM »
Thank you! It's my first fanfiction, so I was a little worried about the personalities...
So now that I am semi-satisfied with the first chapter (so far the longer of the two prepared) I will put it here. It might seem a little odd, but I was figuring once they were back in the cat-tank and in to their old uniforms, they would go right back to their routines. (And it might not be the original cat-tank, who knows.) But here's this... If it's too long, I can break it in to two parts. I don't have anything (currently) to count the words with other than my brain. AND FINALLY this is the second day since they left, heading to their first real camp.
{chapter 1}

Tuuri cast a worried glance up at the captain, who was glaring steadily out the window at something up ahead. The captain, Sigrun, crossed her arms with a small growl and stood upright once again before calling for Emil. He was already there, looking at the huge clouds of smoke and ashes, head tilted.

"What is this?" Sigrun snapped at the cleanser, waving her hands at the blackening sky. He only shrugged in reply.

"I guess it could be a team, but I didn't know they went this far away from settlements..." Emil mumbled, something sparking in his eyes. Delight? Excitement? Fear? No matter, Sigrun wasn't very satisfied with the answer. She would probably be more upbeat about the possibility of an adventure if it wasn't for the awful luck they'd been having with almost anything they encountered... And they hadn't even went on a mission yet!

She started grumbling things to herself and walked out the door of the cat-tank to get a better view and was soon followed by Emil and a half-awake Lalli. Tuuri peered her head out the door once she had found her mask and sighed. There was no way her cousin, the scout, could have planned a backup rout for this.

"Should we find another camp?" The driver asked, cautiously stepping outside to join the group.
   "I don't think we have to..." Emil trailed off with a questioning look at the captain. "I mean, if it's cleansers, they won't try to kill us or anything. We could check it out really quick to make sure." He reasoned, turning his head back to the billowing smoke clouds.

"Eh, I guess we could try that..." Sigrun wrinkled her nose and put her hand on her chin. "But if they're all dead and getting attacked by trolls, we're not helping them. Unless it's only a few and not a whole nest or something." Her normal lopsided grin returned as she looked down at Emil with a laugh, "But I don't want to see you joining in and throwing out all our explosives!"

Emil just rolled his eyes in amusement with a small smirk. "You're asking a lot of me, but I will try to the best of my ability!" Just then, he noticed that Mikkel and Reynir had also come outside. Mikkel had his arms crossed as usual, a bored expression on his face, but Reynir looked both exited and terrified at the same time as he gazed up at the smoke.

"So, I'm guessing, you three are going and I'm to be left here?" Mikkel asked Sigrun, who nodded. He sighed and closed his eyes.

Noticing his disappointment, Sigrun tried to explain herself. "Well, we need someone to protect them if a troll attacked, and we don't want to drive in to some fiery mess of death! I mean, it'll probably be fine, we just want to make sure... And if there is something big-"

"Say no more," Mikkel said, cutting her off and turning back to the tank. "Come on, before this smoke poisons our lungs much more..." he muttered in Icelandic, catching Reynir's attention and getting the young mage to follow.

Sigrun sighed before pulling a face behind Mikkel's back. When Tuuri had finished translating the plan to Lalli, she headed inside, too. Sigrun once again grinned and put her hands on her hips.

"Come on, guys! Let's go explore!" The captain said, marching off towards the smoke with her knife held in the air, pointing to their destination like a compass. Emil hurried after with a grin of his own, holding Lalli's hand and dragging the tired scout along with them. Lalli yawned but didn't protest and let the noisy Swede lead him to the burning town.

The area was a bit odd. It was a clearing it seemed, or maybe it had been recently cleansed, perhaps the year before... No matter, there was a good layer of snow on the ground and among a few collapsed house frames, the pale morning sunlight determined to break through the smoke. It was silent for a while, until they neared the urban area from which the smoke came from. It was indeed fire, as they could now hear by the snapping and crashing sounds of burning buildings, which seemed to brighten Emil's mood even more. Then there was a scream for an unknown source, usually something quite reliable to dampen everyone's spirits.

Sigrun stopped and barely noticed when the two boys bumped in to her. She raised her knife at the ready and put a finger to her lips. Emil stifled a whimper as his eyes darted from place to place, searching the ruins of houses for movement. Lalli just let out a small sigh and looked around, quickly checking the area, before rolling his eyes and continuing to the fires. It was clear, probably only a troll getting caught in the fire, right? And so they kept moving, Sigrun disappointed at not getting to smash something's skull and Emil's happiness smothered with fear.

Lalli stopped suddenly at the sound of voices. The mage put a hand on the hilt of his dagger and looked around suspiciously. Sigrun let out a small evil laugh and brandished her knife while Emil moaned and moved to stand beside his friend.

"Everything alright?" The cleanser asked in concern, knowing Lalli wouldn't understand him too well, anyway. The only answer was a sigh and a pat or two on the head, and with that they kept moving. It was already quite warm, and as they turned the corner they could see it. The huge fire, spreading from house to house, with figures scrambling around it. Emil grinned and laughed, rubbing his hands together, earning him a suspicious glance from Sigrun. The captain leaned on one of the crumbling walls of a partially blown up building and continued to glare at the group of people around the flames. There did seem to be a few trolls as well, but not too many, she could probably help with at least one...

"So what should we do now?" Emil questioned to no avail. He tilted his head and tapped her on the shoulder, quickly dodging the knife thrown at him.

"Oh, sorry, kid..." Sigrun chuckled, retrieving her weapon from the ground and putting it back in her belt. "Let's go say hi or whatever, maybe we can help them with their troll problem, too." She started to sneak off towards the group of cleansers, the other two following her with their weapons out. Another scream.

(Notes below)
Do you like the ending? I think it's just perfect and not mysterious at all!
If you find a problem, just tell me. Gentle criticism would be good. I know I'm writing the sentences weird. I just don't know, they don't look right to me, so if you know what I'm doing wrong please say.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:09:38 PM by frostykitty »

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1428 on: January 28, 2016, 08:52:57 PM »
If you find a problem, just tell me. Gentle criticism would be good. I know I'm writing the sentences weird. I just don't know, they don't look right to me, so if you know what I'm doing wrong please say.

Okay, I am officially intrigued.

As for problems, if you left some spaces in between your paragraphs, it would make the story a lot easier to read. I've found that a line of --------'s or ******'s works fairly well if you need to indicate a break.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1429 on: January 28, 2016, 09:11:16 PM »
I am also a native English speaker and I'll beta for you (if you're willing to put up with me caring approximately as much about grammar as That One Teacher).
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

frostykitty

« Reply #1430 on: January 28, 2016, 09:12:28 PM »
Okay, I am officially intrigued.

As for problems, if you left some spaces in between your paragraphs, it would make the story a lot easier to read. I've found that a line of --------'s or ******'s works fairly well if you need to indicate a break.
Right, sorry... Fixed? Possibly?
Sorry, I was taught to only put an indentation, so I'm stuck in the habit of it. I'll fix that on the next chapters...

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1431 on: January 28, 2016, 09:23:11 PM »
Dangerous updating again!

Previous chapter

Warnings for offscreen repeat of some rather squicky stuff that happened in the original movie...

Spoiler: Chapter 3 • show
It was real.

It was a dream.

It happened.

It didn’t.

Lalli curled up further underneath his bed.  They’d…

This world didn’t make any sense!

“Mr. Hotakainen, we have reason to believe that you’ve been contacted by someone.  He may have offered you help with some problem you’re having; he may even have claimed to be a long-lost relative.

“Whatever this man may have told you is a lie.  He is in the employ of one Sigrun Eide, the head of a known terrorist organization.  These people are dangerous, Mr. Hotakainen, and you would do well to help us in bringing them to justice.”

Lalli stared at the man.  He stared at the folder filled with records of his life.  He looked back up at the man once more.

“Is this a joke?”

“I assure you, Mr.  Hotakainen, it is not.”  The man leaned back in his chair, folding his hands once again.  “I am offering you a choice, Mr. Hotakainen:  the choice to be a loyal, upstanding citizen… or to take the wrong side in a losing battle.  So, what is your answer?”

Lalli looked once again at the folder.  He remembered what the files on the disk had told him, and the feeling that made his skin crawl whenever he thought too hard about the world around him.  He remembered the earnest, pleading look of the boy who’d handed him the disk, and the sadness in the eyes of the man whose picture he’d seen.  Then, he willed himself to look into the eyes of the man before him, no less cold for having removed his dark glasses.

“I want to go home.”

Things had happened quickly after that.  The men had forced him into a corner.  They’d made his body betray him.  Then, they’d taken out that metal bug…

Bile rose in his throat.  Lalli had no idea what they had done or why.  He didn’t even remember how he had gotten from there to here…

…because it was a dream…

…yet he knew it had been real.

Cautiously, he pressed a hand against his stomach.  Nothing met his touch except smooth skin and a low rumble that indicated it had been far too long since he’d last had a meal.

What if it wasn’t real?

Maybe he was going crazy, and the disk and the man who was pictured on it were only products of his own deranged mind.  After all, he no longer had any evidence that the disk had even existed—he had destroyed it himself.

And yet…

His hand clenched, fingers curling unconsciously into his skin.  That thing was in there still, he knew it, and there was no way for him to get it out—

The phone rang.

The sound jarred through his senses so unexpectedly that he jumped up in fright, banging his head against the bottom of the bed for his troubles.  He had all but forgotten that he even had a phone; he never used it, and the only reason it was there was because the landlord had installed a line.

It rang again.

Still rubbing his aching head, Lalli shifted to move out from under his bed… and froze.

No one had ever knocked on his door before either, and that had ended in (him dreaming about) those weird men coming to his door.

Pressing his hands over his ears, Lalli curled up further underneath his bed, and refused to move until the ringing stopped.

----------------------------

Somewhere not so far, and yet a world away…

After leaving the connection open for a good twenty rings, Tuuri let out a sigh.  “He’s not picking up.”

Sigrun leaned over her shoulder to narrow her eyes at the screen (unaware that what she was looking at was actually the screensaver on an entirely different monitor), and nodded.  “Give it another two minutes, then hang up.”

Onni, who was clutching the spare headset in his hands and looking increasingly the worse for wear, snapped his head up to glare at her.  “What!?

“The longer we’re broadcasting, the easier it will be to trace our signal,” Mikkel pointed out.

Sigrun nodded in agreement.  “And I do not want the Sentinels breathing down our necks.”

Nobody voiced any further protests.  Sigrun knew, better than anyone, what even a single Sentinel was capable of doing—both to the ship and to the people on it.

They waited in silence.  Finally, though, the phone gave its last ring, and Tuuri cut the connection with a sigh.

“Sorry, Onni,” she whispered, her eyes downcast.  “I tried.”

“Look,” Sigrun chimed in, “sometimes people don’t want to come out, and there’s nothing we can do about it.  We just have to deal.”

“This isn’t about getting him out!”  Onni was clenching his fingers again, and Mikkel deftly plucked the headset from his hands before the delicate piece of equipment could suffer any further abuse.  “All I want to do is talk to him!”

“Oh, well if that’s it there are plenty of other ways!”  She reached out to clap the shoulder of the (currently) only other combative crewmember onboard the Valkyrie.  “Emil!  How’d you say you got along with this Lalli person the last time you contacted him?”

“Okay, I guess.  I mean, we didn’t actually talk all that much…”

“Great!  You can go back in tomorrow, and get in touch with him again!”

“B-but—”  Emil sputtered, his already fair skin going even paler.  “The Agents were already on to me last time, and now they’ve got him bugged!  There’s no way they’re not going to notice if I try to contact him again!”

“Oh, don’t worry about the Agents, little buddy.”  Sigrun now had that grin on her face, that wild and battle-crazed smile that said she was about to do something incredibly reckless that (provided she survived) would leave her in a state of hyperactive euphoria and shave a good five years off the lifespans of everyone in her immediate vicinity.  “I’ll make sure they have plenty else to keep them occupied.”

Spoiler: Notes • show
Traumatized Lalli is traumatized.  There was a reason I was reluctant to write fic for this fandom, the horrible things I do to the poor characters...

Though I do find it fun to explore the ways in which different characters react to the same situations. Even if I never am quite convinced I'm getting Lalli right.

Critique is, as always, welcome.

Next chapter
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:13:40 PM by Lazy8 »

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1432 on: January 28, 2016, 09:25:36 PM »
Sorry, I was taught to only put an indentation, so I'm stuck in the habit of it. I'll fix that on the next chapters...

It depends on what format you're reading in. Some word processors nowadays space paragraphs automatically, but for web-based reading in particular my experience is that stuff is a lot easier to read and looks less smooshed together if you space it out a bit. It looks much better now!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1433 on: January 28, 2016, 10:13:24 PM »
Further to AUs, we've had high school, coffeeshop, time travel, western, jazz age, prohibition-era Chicago, modern era Scandinavia where the Rash worked out differently, science fiction, urban hipster, fairytale, nakki,...... Have I forgotten any?
Arrrr, mayhap ye have.

Tall Ships & Taller Tales
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Pirate crossover fanfic
Part 3
Prior part
Them As Eide’s Can Finds

At anchor off Water Island

The sun was setting, turning the West into a dazzling light show as it dipped toward the water. Lalli Hotakainen sighed in contentment at being back in his crow’s-nest atop the mighty Sea-Lynx. He and Emil had been run to a frazzle trying to keep the Mariposa Reina prize crew from ripping each others’ throats out on a daily basis.

Emil was playing least-in-sight, out of shame, if Lalli had to guess. As Acting Captain on the Mariposa Reina, Emil was responsible for the prize crew. He had mostly had to resort to threats of reporting the brawlers to Captain Eide; his failure to properly control his first crew on his own was obviously grievous to him.

Captain Eide had decided that, as was their custom, the bulk of their haul would be interred on the nearby peninsula of Orkanhullet, far enough away from the pirate-ridden Water Island and the native-ridden harbor beyond that neither group would be like to venture in its environs. The rest of the spoils would be divided when they reached Tortola, where the crew would disembark, party until they were broke, and then trickle back to the Sea-Lynx.

The Mariposa Reina herself would be scuttled, of course; sad as it was, since they couldn’t sell her and she was far too slow to be anything but a millstone on the Sea-Lynx’s neck, her fate was sealed.

The familiar sound of Emil humming just slightly off-key set Lalli’s ears to twitching. Was it mess time already?

Apparently it was, and apparently the Swede meant to join Lalli at their repast. This had been commonplace during their stint on the Mariposa Reina, and Lalli, being in a generous mood due to their return, decided not to protest.

As inevitably as Emil spilling food on himself, the Swede also chose to take the opportunity afforded by their seclusion to unburden himself to Lalli, which the Finn again did not protest. Emil would come to a stop in his own time, and Lalli had learned to let the babble wash over him when the Swede had a mind to talk (and talk, and talk). Better him than Tuuri.

Lalli jerked upright with a start, senses focussed on one thing: a twinkle on the horizon. His sudden move disconcerted Emil until Lalli grabbed his spy-glass.

“What is it, Lalli?” Emil asked.

After a long stretch of silent watching, Lalli finally answered with two words. “Túnfiskurinn, again.”

Emil turned the darkening air blue with curses cribbed from the captain before scrambling down the rigging to tell her that they’d been found.

Sigrun had Emil going up to the crow’s nest and back like a yo-yo while she drew up her plans.

The good news was that the yet-to-be-scuttled Mariposa Reina was opposite from where the Túnfiskurinn was lurking, so she might not have been spotted as yet. The bad news was that all of the loot was still aboard the Mariposa Reina.

All they could do was risk an expedition by night to cache as much of the loot as they could, and then await what the dawn would bring...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show

Water Island is one of the US Virgin Islands today.

Is that a sufficient reminder?
*clumsily sneaks in to forum*
Hello, I finally went through the whole (nearly, almost, who needs specifics...) fanfic thread and these are ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! And uh, you people have me an idea...
So what's this "little fic" called?

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #1434 on: January 28, 2016, 10:25:10 PM »

From what I see, the fanfiction formatting style is generally no indents and spaces between paragraphs. Generally line breaks are also used. This style is so prevalent, if you put what you just wrote in AO3, spaces will be added automatically between your paragraphs. Indents are normally reserved for published books.

Hope that helps!
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1435 on: January 29, 2016, 03:00:19 AM »
LooNEY: Abject apologies for omitting your excellent Pirate AU! Mea maxima culpa! And me a Jeffrey Farnol fan and all..... Good chapter, and glad you're back at it.

Lazy8: Definitely squicky, but interesting. I take it the bug is something from the original? Do go on...

Frostykitty: I'll be very curious to see what is happening and where this goes. It does sound ominous!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

frostykitty

« Reply #1436 on: January 29, 2016, 06:52:01 AM »
Thank you for the formatting help... And it doesn't have an exact name yet, not very good at that stuff. Just finishing up the main plot, so I'll probably get one soon.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1437 on: January 29, 2016, 08:33:54 AM »
Arrrr, mayhap ye have.

Tall Ships & Taller Tales
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Pirate crossover fanfic
Part 3
Prior part
Them As Eide’s Can Finds

At anchor off Water Island

The sun was setting, turning the West into a dazzling light show as it dipped toward the water. Lalli Hotakainen sighed in contentment at being back in his crow’s-nest atop the mighty Sea-Lynx. He and Emil had been run to a frazzle trying to keep the Mariposa Reina prize crew from ripping each others’ throats out on a daily basis.

Emil was playing least-in-sight, out of shame, if Lalli had to guess. As Acting Captain on the Mariposa Reina, Emil was responsible for the prize crew. He had mostly had to resort to threats of reporting the brawlers to Captain Eide; his failure to properly control his first crew on his own was obviously grievous to him.

Captain Eide had decided that, as was their custom, the bulk of their haul would be interred on the nearby peninsula of Orkanhullet, far enough away from the pirate-ridden Water Island and the native-ridden harbor beyond that neither group would be like to venture in its environs. The rest of the spoils would be divided when they reached Tortola, where the crew would disembark, party until they were broke, and then trickle back to the Sea-Lynx.

The Mariposa Reina herself would be scuttled, of course; sad as it was, since they couldn’t sell her and she was far too slow to be anything but a millstone on the Sea-Lynx’s neck, her fate was sealed.

The familiar sound of Emil humming just slightly off-key set Lalli’s ears to twitching. Was it mess time already?

Apparently it was, and apparently the Swede meant to join Lalli at their repast. This had been commonplace during their stint on the Mariposa Reina, and Lalli, being in a generous mood due to their return, decided not to protest.

As inevitably as Emil spilling food on himself, the Swede also chose to take the opportunity afforded by their seclusion to unburden himself to Lalli, which the Finn again did not protest. Emil would come to a stop in his own time, and Lalli had learned to let the babble wash over him when the Swede had a mind to talk (and talk, and talk). Better him than Tuuri.

Lalli jerked upright with a start, senses focussed on one thing: a twinkle on the horizon. His sudden move disconcerted Emil until Lalli grabbed his spy-glass.

“What is it, Lalli?” Emil asked.

After a long stretch of silent watching, Lalli finally answered with two words. “Túnfiskurinn, again.”

Emil turned the darkening air blue with curses cribbed from the captain before scrambling down the rigging to tell her that they’d been found.

Sigrun had Emil going up to the crow’s nest and back like a yo-yo while she drew up her plans.

The good news was that the yet-to-be-scuttled Mariposa Reina was opposite from where the Túnfiskurinn was lurking, so she might not have been spotted as yet. The bad news was that all of the loot was still aboard the Mariposa Reina.

All they could do was risk an expedition by night to cache as much of the loot as they could, and then await what the dawn would bring...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show

Water Island is one of the US Virgin Islands today.

Is that a sufficient reminder?So what's this "little fic" called?

I had a good laugh over Emil threatening to report prisoners to Sigrun to keep them in line.

Lazy8: Definitely squicky, but interesting. I take it the bug is something from the original? Do go on...

You may look it up if you dare. There's a reason I did a cut for that part; I could barely stand to watch it.

frostykitty

« Reply #1438 on: January 29, 2016, 06:23:02 PM »
Yes, I like these stories. And 'punishable by Sigrun's wrath' is probably the most gruesome punishment I've ever heard of.
I have narrowed the title down to TWO choices, I'm very proud of myself, it's an amazing accomplishment for me... This chapter is shorter than the one and three (and three isn't even near done yet, jeeze) and there's another wonderful, not-ominous-at-all, optimistic ending. Actually, you all know that was sarcasm, there's some gore but I don't think it's worse than anything cannon, just a fair warning. No main character death.

{chapter 2}

The three tensed, getting ready to attack - or be attacked for that matter. Lalli narrowed his eyes and looked around for anything big while Emil took a step back, obviously bewildered.

"Uh, maybe we should head back and find another rout... Or anoth-" Emil was cut off abruptly when he was bowled over by something. Someone? He let out a high-pitched sound of panic, which would have been quite comical if it wasn't in this context, as he kicked the figure off of him and jumped to his feet, stabbing at the air. The figure, a cleanser, started speaking in rushed, fearful, Icelandic to the group, gesturing madly towards the fire.

"What the heck are you saying?" Sigrun tilted her head, looking down at the new arrival, a woman with a mask to keep out the sickness. The cleanser sighed in relief and quickly switched to Swedish.

"We found a nest and we didn't expect it! Not many of us are immune and someone was already bitten, we need help!" They pleaded. This woman looked about Emil's age, if not a year or less younger. Sigrun sighed, but you could have sworn she had a small smile.

"I guess we can try to help you..." She said with a shrug, much to the delight of the young cleanser. Emil, however, looked like he would turn around and run away. The girl gestured for them to follow after adjusting her mask and ran off to her group. Sigrun ran after her, full of enthusiasm, while Emil grabbed Lalli's hand and grudgingly followed. It was quite horrific. Off to the side, someone was being attacked and was already bitten. A bit closer to our heroes, someone had just gotten shoved in to the fire by a large troll (that must of been the screaming). Something had just lost a limb, but it wasn't clear to what team took the loss... The cleansers must have gotten through most of the monsters that had fled the building before the fire had fully engulfed it, at least.

The three got to work quickly, though Lalli was a little confused at first, so he followed Sigrun's example. Emil had just retrieved his knife from a recently dead troll when something hit him hard in the back, causing him to fall to the ground. He moaned and looked up to see a small giant, all three of it's heads turned to him with (if they could be considered) smiles. Now his first reaction, which seems reasonable, was to scream and call for Sigrun. The giant took a step closer, it looked like a huge, horrifically mangled, spider, using all three sets of legs and its only pair of arms to scuttle about, it had a ridge of broken ribs along its back like spikes. Emil's second reaction, arguably reasonable as well, was to throw his knife at one head. Too bad it missed. He tried to stand only to be violently shoved back down my the monstrosity. One head screamed in his face, another attempted to laugh at him. What may have once been ribs grabbed for the boy, snapping together like jaws.

Sigrun let out a wild battle cry as she charged at the giant, attracting the attention of one heads. She had heard Emil's cry and came as fast as she could. Her eyes were wild as she plunged her knife in to one of the giant's skulls, making the others turn away from their prey. The main head was still screaming as the monster let go of a limp Emil and turned on its heels to attack the captain. The cleanser quickly scrambled away as soon as he got the chance and sprinted away to find Lalli. Sigrun, however, reached back for her rifle to make quick work of the creature in front of her when she realized, it wasn't there...

Spoiler: and then the commentary • show
If you find anything wrong with grammar or spelling or whatever, just tell me and I'll fix it.
And thank you for all the formatting stuff, I THINK I got it now... Back to the story, it was Cleansers! And trolls and mutants! Can't forget those...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:47:05 PM by frostykitty »

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1439 on: January 29, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »
frostykitty I can't seem to open the first spoiler tag? I've noticed that if I put punctuation in the "spoiler=something or other" section it doesn't work, for some reason. Excited to read the next part though!

LooNEY_DAC I love the pirates! Poor Emil...I imagine he'd have trouble controlling a ship by himself, haha.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: