Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780700 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1395 on: January 23, 2016, 02:13:00 AM »
Just so long as you understand that after this the fandom is going to be insisting that the next thing you write needs to be some meringue-like piece of fluff!
Yes, cannibalism tends to leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1396 on: January 23, 2016, 02:33:19 AM »
Grrooann! LooNEY! I agree, though.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1397 on: January 23, 2016, 03:32:54 AM »
Just so long as you understand that after this the fandom is going to be insisting that the next thing you write needs to be some meringue-like piece of fluff!

Already got a piece under-way for that. Seriously, the moment I started to ship Mr Perfect Hair and Mr Cat, I thought 'I think I need to see these two spooning in a bathtub in dangerous survival situation'
It's a very specific desire and the situation will take some fine-tuning, but I'm confident in my ability to obsess over ships
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Róisín

« Reply #1398 on: January 23, 2016, 03:44:40 AM »
An ornate and decadent marble tub?

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1399 on: January 23, 2016, 03:51:21 AM »
An ornate and decadent marble tub?

Picture the one Will Smith used in 'I am legend'
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1400 on: January 23, 2016, 06:15:04 AM »

Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1401 on: January 23, 2016, 11:12:34 AM »
I'm confident in my ability to obsess over ships

Yeah...I don't know anyone who does that...

*shoves half-finished models of the SS Reyri and SS Emilalli out of sight*

But seriously, I think you'll fit right in around here. ;)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1402 on: January 23, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »

* LooNEY_DAC drops the next part of the Jazz AU and runs, giggling evilly

The Jylland Jump
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Jazz Age” crossover fanfic
Part 5
Prior part
Spoiler: show
Well, There Was This One Time...

Emil Västerström looked down at the foreign instrument in his hands and wondered why it was there. Of course, he knew the reason well enough: in light of Mikkel’s success at backing Emil up on woodwinds, Sigrun wanted the rest of them to try switching instruments, which was a reasonable enough idea that Trond had okayed their slipping away for a week to test it out.

Admittedly, which of them got what instrument seemed decidedly random--Lalli in particular was looking at his new bassoon as though it had just come down to him from outer space. In another move Emil dreaded considering the consequences of, Reynir had been given a set of cymbals; Mikkel was trying out a full-sized tuba; Tuuri was ready to wail on her cousin’s xylophone; and Sigrun was going to see if the saxophone could handle her magnificence. This left Emil looking at his euphonium doubtfully. With his luck, its name would prove the height of irony.

There were only three keys to press on this thing; how could anyone finagle a full chromatic scale out of those? Emil looked over at Mikkel, and then at Sigrun. Well, Sigrun probably just willed her trumpet to play the notes she wanted, knowing it would never be so foolish as to refuse, but Mikkel...

“Um, Mikkel...” Just how do I play this thing? Emil’s tongue tried to knot itself inside his mouth, but he managed to say, “I’ve never actually played a brass instrument before, and I...”

“You were, totally understandably, wondering how the fingering works,” Mikkel finished for him. “M’yes. The three valve system is rather counter-intuitive at first to someone used to the simplicity of woodwind fingerings, but once you get it, you’ve got it for any brass instrument.”

The next hour or so passed in a flurry of discourse interspersed with preliminary practicing, until Sigrun stormed up in a huff.

“Emil, go show Twigs how to play his bassoon; I can’t talk to him anymore, or someone’ll get hurt.” A frustrated growl ended her orders.

Emil looked over to where Lalli stood. His friend was practically arching his back and hissing in Sigrun’s direction. Emil sighed and thought to himself, ‘This is why we always need to keep a buffer between Sigrun and Lalli’.

Fortunately, Lalli wasn’t quite worked up badly enough that he would go into one of his near-legendary freak-outs. Unfortunately, Sigrun had also snarled at Tuuri, who was unintentionally working Lalli ever closer to that freak-out when Emil reached them.

It took quite a bit of effort for Emil to disentangle the two cousins, but eventually Lalli allowed himself to be soothed.

“You know, sometimes I think you don’t even know your cousin at all,” Emil told Tuuri in exasperation. “Simply look at him. He clearly just wants to be left alone and in peace for a while.” He turned to Lalli. “Give me the bassoon and go sack out in the bunk-room for a while. I’ll make sure nobody disturbs you.”

The week flew by after that, each day bringing surprises both pleasant and unpleasant. Emil slowly worked out how to make his euphonium live up to its name (though he knew he’d never make it wail like he could with a clarinet); Sigrun imposed her will upon the saxophone as readily as she did upon her trumpet; Mikkel managed to take some of Reynir’s bass riffs and make them work on the tuba; Tuuri got pretty good on the pit; Reynir managed not to concuss anyone; and Lalli... still looked at the bassoon as though it had just come down to him from outer space, but he could do some simple licks on it, at least.

All in all, Sigrun and the others were most satisfied with how their little band camp went. “Just remember to keep it up once we’re back in the Joint,” she cautioned. Emil wondered if she’d meant to associate their place of business with being in prison, but decided it was just a Freudian slip.

“OK, let’s just get a group photo before we go.”

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show

Yep, an edit got this one going.

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1403 on: January 23, 2016, 02:14:42 PM »

The Jylland Jump
Part 5
Prior part

Emil Västerström looked down at the foreign instrument in his hands and wondered why it was there. Of course, he knew the reason well enough: in light of Mikkel’s success at backing Emil up on woodwinds, Sigrun wanted the rest of them to try switching instruments, which was a reasonable enough idea that Trond had okayed their slipping away for a week to test it out.

Admittedly, which of them got what instrument seemed decidedly random--Lalli in particular was looking at his new bassoon as though it had just come down to him from outer space. In another move Emil dreaded considering the consequences of, Reynir had been given a set of cymbals; Mikkel was trying out a full-sized tuba; Tuuri was ready to wail on her cousin’s xylophone; and Sigrun was going to see if the saxophone could handle her magnificence. This left Emil looking at his euphonium doubtfully. With his luck, its name would prove the height of irony.

There were only three keys to press on this thing; how could anyone finagle a full chromatic scale out of those? Emil looked over at Mikkel, and then at Sigrun. Well, Sigrun probably just willed her trumpet to play the notes she wanted, knowing it would never be so foolish as to refuse, but Mikkel...

“Um, Mikkel...” Just how do I play this thing? Emil’s tongue tried to knot itself inside his mouth, but he managed to say, “I’ve never actually played a brass instrument before, and I...”

“You were, totally understandably, wondering how the fingering works,” Mikkel finished for him. “M’yes. The three valve system is rather counter-intuitive at first to someone used to the simplicity of woodwind fingerings, but once you get it, you’ve got it for any brass instrument.”

The next hour or so passed in a flurry of discourse interspersed with preliminary practicing, until Sigrun stormed up in a huff.

“Emil, go show Twigs how to play his bassoon; I can’t talk to him anymore, or someone’ll get hurt.” A frustrated growl ended her orders.

Emil looked over to where Lalli stood. His friend was practically arching his back and hissing in Sigrun’s direction. Emil sighed and thought to himself, ‘This is why we always need to keep a buffer between Sigrun and Lalli’.

Fortunately, Lalli wasn’t quite worked up badly enough that he would go into one of his near-legendary freak-outs. Unfortunately, Sigrun had also snarled at Tuuri, who was unintentionally working Lalli ever closer to that freak-out when Emil reached them.

It took quite a bit of effort for Emil to disentangle the two cousins, but eventually Lalli allowed himself to be soothed.

“You know, sometimes I think you don’t even know your cousin at all,” Emil told Tuuri in exasperation. “Simply look at him. He clearly just wants to be left alone and in peace for a while.” He turned to Lalli. “Give me the bassoon and go sack out in the bunk-room for a while. I’ll make sure nobody disturbs you.”

The week flew by after that, each day bringing surprises both pleasant and unpleasant. Emil slowly worked out how to make his euphonium live up to its name (though he knew he’d never make it wail like he could with a clarinet); Sigrun imposed her will upon the saxophone as readily as she did upon her trumpet; Mikkel managed to take some of Reynir’s bass riffs and make them work on the tuba; Tuuri got pretty good on the pit; Reynir managed not to concuss anyone; and Lalli... still looked at the bassoon as though it had just come down to him from outer space, but he could do some simple licks on it, at least.

All in all, Sigrun and the others were most satisfied with how their little band camp went. “Just remember to keep it up once we’re back in the Joint,” she cautioned. Emil wondered if she’d meant to associate their place of business with being in prison, but decided it was just a Freudian slip.

Haha, YES! As soon as I saw what instruments they were trying out I knew where that inspiration came from. I love Lalli vs. The Bassoon!
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1404 on: January 23, 2016, 04:16:19 PM »

The Jylland Jump
Part 5
Prior part

Senpai noticed me!  This is fantastic work, thank you!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:51:42 PM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #1405 on: January 23, 2016, 08:56:47 PM »
LooNEY, that's great! Funny, and accords well with my mental image of how they would cope with the instruments, including the 'bassoon from outer space'. So long as Reynir doesn't catch Sigrun's ear or Mikkel's sideburns in those cymbals.....

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1406 on: January 24, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »
Fair warning: reality has hit this next part, and darkened it rather.

The Jylland Jump
Part 6
Prior part
Chasing Emil

Malmö, Sweden

Emil Västerström looked around Andersen’s Joint, noting how little it seemed to have changed, even through a war that had changed everything.

The decor was the same--most of it was probably exactly the same as it had been since the first time Emil had set foot in the Joint, as Old Trond hadn’t been one for such largesse as replacing “perfectly good tables and chairs” before they collapsed completely.

Old Trond himself was never coming back; the War had been his doom indeed. He’d been in the same cell of the Norwegian Resistance as Sigrun and her parents when the Germans took him, and he hadn’t returned, though not for the usual reason. No, the torture hadn’t yet begun when his captors found him dead in his sleep, undoubtedly smiling to himself at having deprived them of their prize.

Sigrun, Mikkel and Reynir had all been part of the Norwegian Resistance, trying to free that country; ironically, for most of the War that had put them on the opposite side from Emil, Taru and the three Hotakainens, who were all trying to keep Finland free.

Poor Taru. In one of the last Russian assaults of 1940, she had been captured, and while the Finn government was still trying to find out where she was and get her back, there was very little hope left for her after six years.

Old Trond had left his share in tandem to his junior partners: Sigrun’s parents and Taru; since Taru was... well, since the Swedish government accepted Onni, Tuuri and Lalli as Taru’s proxy holders, the Hotakainens had had few troubles relocating.

Lalli had been standing behind Emil as all these thoughts chased themselves through Emil’s mind; now, Lalli stepped up beside Emil and gave his friend a shoulder bump. Emil promptly wrapped his arm around Lalli’s shoulder, trying not to let the tears suddenly brimming fall, and Lalli let him, even going so far as to put his own arm on Emil’s shoulder.

Tuuri bustled in then, with some others, but only Tuuri forced herself into their awareness, looping her arm into Lalli’s free elbow.

“I found you an assistant in the pit, Lalli,” Tuuri bubbled. “A nice Finn girl I met through the Refugee Office, and a pretty good xylophonist, to boot.” Ignoring his silence, she continued, “Now, her name is Kerttu, so I don’t want you calling her, ‘Hey, you’, like you did with Georg and Tony!”

“They were jerks,” Lalli protested, letting Tuuri pull him over to the pit after Emil nodded.

“Do you really think it was a good idea to bring him here?” Tuuri asked once they were at the pit. “I mean, he looks like he might be headed for another freak-out.”

“You know, sometimes I think you don’t even know Emil at all,” Lalli told Tuuri in exasperation. “Listen.”

Emil had picked up a clarinet and was beginning to play. As he played and the jazz flowed ever freer, all the horrors and filth of the last seven years were washed away by its happy flood.

“That’s why we needed to bring him here,” Lalli stated, as if he were telling her “Water is wet”.

There was an edge to Emil’s playing now, though; one that reflected what had passed, both good and bad. It was still jazz instead of blues, though: edgy jazz, but jazz nonetheless.

A saxophone joined in, smoothly following in familiar riffs. Emil turned, though he didn’t really need to, and saw Onni behind him, dark sunglasses covering the scars where his eyes had been. Blind Onni, now truly blind, but as magnificent on the sax as ever.

Then two familiar trumpets joined in the burgeoning jam session, weaving their own threads into the musical tapestry, and soon bass, drum kit and pit followed suit. The Malmö Musikers were jamming again.

“OK, guys, let’s take five,” Sigrun ordered when the set drew to a close. A waiter came up with water for them, followed by an eerily young-looking cigarette girl, who smiled saucily at Emil.

“Well,” she said dryly as Emil pored over the selection in her tray, “I never thought I’d get to hear Benny Goodman jamming live in this place.”

Emil snorted. “Benny Goodman’s better than I. I do have better hair, though,” he bantered awkwardly.

After a few minutes more of indecision, the girl pulled out a cigarette and handed it to Emil. “Here you go. Betcha can’t make this sing like your clarinet, though.” She was definitely teasing now.

Emil looked at the cigarette girl warily, even as he took the proffered cigarette. “What’s your name, anyways?”

She smiled again as she lit the cigarette and replied, “Marta Kiianmies.”

“Nice name,” Emil said. This one seemed uncommonly sensible; hopefully, she’d stick around for a while...

THIS IS NOT THE END.

I felt I should emphasize that.

...And look: it’s Marta and Kerttu.

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1407 on: January 24, 2016, 01:23:40 PM »
Aaaaaaaand after a long stretch of writer's block, here is Part 2 of my Matrix crossover Dangerous. (In addition, Chapter 1 has been edited to take Onni's new characterization into account.)

(Also third edit in a row because I apparently fail at formatting today. *headdesk*)

Also! Before I get to the chapter, I already posted these over in the memes thread, but I'd like some feedback on which of my cover ideas looks better:

Spoiler: Potential Covers • show

Previous chapter

Spoiler: Dangerous Chapter 2 • show
I don’t know whether you’ve been looking for him, but he’s spent the last eight years looking for you.

Lalli stared again at the disk in his hand.  When he’d woken up that evening, his life had been normal.  Now, he had no idea what was going to happen next.

Listen.  I can’t talk long; I think they’re on to me.  Take this.

Mostly, other people left him alone, and that was exactly the way that he liked it.  When the other teenager with the long blond hair had approached him, though, he’d been determined to talk to Lalli at any cost.

What you do with it is up to you.  But please at least look at it.  Please.

That was all he’d said before he swore under his breath and took off running, pushing Lalli away from him as he did.  His departure had been followed by the footsteps of three men in black suits chasing after him, a ringing phone, and then silence.

None of the men had seemed to notice him… or the disk that he still held in his hand.

He pushed it into the drive.

There was a faint clicking sound as the button popped out in response.  After waiting a moment for the computer to recognize the new disk, Lalli moved to the folder where it was located and opened it.  The folder contained a handful of text files, in addition to one bitmap and a short sound byte.  None of them seemed to harbor viruses.

He opened the sound file.

In spite of the low quality, the voice that came out of the computer speakers seemed oddly familiar—as if he’d heard it before in a dream that he’d long ago forgotten.  Even weirder, however, was what that voice was saying.

“Lalli,” the man began.  “You may not remember me, but I remember you—and I remember Kuutar.”

How?

It was the only question in his mind over the next few days.  Nobody knew about his prayers to Kuutar.  Those times as a child when he’d stood in the night and chanted to give himself safe moonlight, he’d always been alone, and he’d told no one.  Nobody knew what he knew about the world; nobody would have believed what he was doing, or understood his hopes that parting the clouds would maybe, just maybe, help him to see a truth that was deeper than the moon’s mere light.

What was on that disk had promised him the truth.

The text files, when he’d opened them, had finally offered him validation for a feeling that he’d had for as long as he could remember.  He’d sat at his computer for the rest of the night and a good chunk of the morning besides, reading through everything the mysterious writer had to say.

The world as you know it is a lie.

A simulation.  A mental prison where people were kept to keep them under control.  Ones and zeroes.

No wonder nothing had ever felt real to him.

The only remaining file, the bitmap, had been strange as well.  It didn’t seem to serve any purpose; the grainy photograph had shown only a portrait of a man—except that looking at it had produced the same twinge of recognition that he’d felt when he’d first played the sound file.  Looking more closely, he saw that though the man was older and sturdier in build, he shared the same ash-blond hair and light blue eyes that stared back at Lalli whenever he happened to look in a mirror.

After he had familiarized himself with the contents of the disk, he ejected it from the drive and smashed it to pieces.  That was one other instruction that had been very, very clear.

Let no one see this information.  If you still want to know the whole truth, my contact will find you again.

The knock on his door came as a complete surprise.

Lalli sat bolt upright in his chair, every muscle in his body gone stiff.  No one knocked at his door.  No one came into his home.  He didn’t want people coming into his home—this was his space.

The knock came again.

He pressed himself against the back of the chair, hands coming up to cover his ears.  If he stayed still and silent for long enough, they’d assume he wasn’t home.  They might go away.

The knock came again, louder.  A man’s voice shouted “Open the door!”

I’m not home, he thought.  I’m not home now, go away.

A splintering crash jarred through his senses, and then there were footsteps, many footsteps, and a whole squad of police officers burst into his home, guns trained on him.  Lalli froze.

Among them was a man in a black suit and sunglasses, and he stepped forward from among the ranks of armed men and women.  “Mr. Hotakainen,” he drawled.  “We have reason to believe you have been in contact with a known terrorist organization.”

Spoiler: Notes • show
A Matrix story just wouldn't be a Matrix story without Agent Smith showing up at some point.  Nor could I resist the title drop.

Originally my plan was to have Onni make contact with Lalli himself, but after the last few Onni-centric pages that have come out I realized that that was something that Onni would never do, and adjusted accordingly.  I've also inverted Onni's phobia in this story; this Onni is perfectly willing to go out into physical danger, but won't jack into the Matrix under any circumstances.  There may be a slight possibility that this is due to some traumatic event that happened in his past...

Next chapter
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:05:37 PM by Lazy8 »
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Talimee

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1408 on: January 24, 2016, 04:25:29 PM »
LooNEY! What an awesome twist! I never saw that coming. And whoa! Emil and Onni! Two blows in the gut without so much as a warning! Now I'm all edgy for it to go on.
I also smiled at the nearly similar sentences Lalli and Emil said to Tuuri in this and the last chapter. Very cute and acurate. :D
[22:31] <@amity> And they care about only two things: Emil/Lalli fanfic, and chewing bubblegum.
[22:31] <@amity> And the word is, they're all out of bubblegum.

Survived:
:chap5::chap6::chap7: :chap20:
:chap8::chap9::chap10:
:chap11::chap12::chap13:
:chap14::chap15::chap16:
:chap17::chap18::chap19:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1409 on: January 24, 2016, 09:39:33 PM »
Aaaaaaaand after a long stretch of writer's block, here is Part 2 of my Matrix crossover Dangerous.
(snip)
Yes, it seems to be worth the wait...

NOW GET THAT NEXT PART OUT BEFORE WE ALL DIE FROM THE SUSPENSE!!!

…I mean, please do continue the story.
LooNEY! What an awesome twist! I never saw that coming. And whoa! Emil and Onni! Two blows in the gut without so much as a warning! Now I'm all edgy for it to go on.
I also smiled at the nearly similar sentences Lalli and Emil said to Tuuri in this and the last chapter. Very cute and acurate. :D
Well, I did say "reality hit them", and given the time and place, WWII was the only big reality to hit them.

I was trying to show the near-inversion of the Lalli-Emil roles with the parallel quotes.

The twist was really the only way this part wasn't too bleak to post, honestly. I mean, everything else followed from the characters and the War, and was just bleak bleak bleak bleak bleak, so I put the twist in there as the "hope spot", as such.

And again, this is not the end.