Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 776514 times)

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1365 on: January 18, 2016, 12:07:43 AM »
Hi all! Here's the next bit of 'Gone Astray'. Last part should be up in a day or two.

GONE ASTRAY: PART 2:

She would never say so to Emil, of course, but Sigrun was beginning to think that insisting on making their little excursion today had been a really bad idea. The structure in which they had taken refuge was safe enough at the moment, but that would change once the sun went down. For the moment their pursuer seemed nervous about crossing the open expanse of sunlit paving around the old clock tower. The huge beast could be seen from a narrow window, lurking in the shadow of a ruined wall, its great shaggy head tilted to observe them, its matted fur stirring with restless rippling motions as tentacles moved and shifted just below the surface.

The only reason they were still alive was that Emil had caught the rank stench, strong even for a beast, before either of them had noticed that they were being stalked, and Sigrun had begun to watch for a possible redoubt just in case they should need one. They were working on opening the door of the clock tower when the creature had stepped briefly into the light behind them. It had retreated almost at once, shaking its head as if stung and growling in frustration, but they could see it from the window at the top of the stairs, and hear the occasional snarl. Once darkness came that door wouldn't hold it out for more than a few seconds.

She was realistic enough to know that from this height and angle their chance of hitting the skull with a bullet was very small. Hitting the beast anywhere else would only enrage it, and a lot of gunfire could bring worse dangers. Their only hope was to wait until it entered the tower and started up the narrow stair, then try to ambush it before it had room to attack them. Meanwhile the sun inched down the sky and the shadows lengthened.
                                          ******************************************************

The bright westering sun meant less immediate danger from beasts or trolls but harder tracking. Lalli squinted against the glare and tried to focus his aching eyes on the double row of footprints ahead. The prints were clear enough in snow or firm mud, but in low ground the mud and melting snow combined to make a quaggy sludge that swallowed them in seconds. Sigrun and Emil seemed to be heading for a cluster of taller buildings less than half a mile ahead. Not far, Lalli told himself. One foot in front of the other. Aim for that tall tower with the cracked clockface.

A few hundred yards on, the smell hit him like a blow. Rot and damp fur, animal musk overlaid with that strange reek that always marked beasts from healthy animals, even before you could see the eyes: sour and nauseating, like a patch of poisonous fungus gone suddenly bad in hot weather. Lalli fought down a wave of sick dizziness and slid silently into the shadow of a crumbling doorway. It was big, and close. He had a bad feeling about what it might once have been.

***********************************************
From his vantage point atop a pile of rubble Lalli stared down wide-eyed at the bear-beast. Its attention was fully on the clocktower, or he thought it might have heard him already. Clumsy. Weak. This wouldn't do at all. His vision was beginning to fade and grey out at the edges, and if he intended to hit anything he had to shoot now. One shot was all he would get before the thing perceived him, and the effort needed to climb the rubble heap had shown him clearly that he had no chance of escape once it knew he was there. An occasional flash of a white uniform inside the tower window told him where the others were. The building was a refuge for them at this moment, but once night fell it would become a trap. So focus. One shot. Now.

With the rifle firmly braced against a stone he peered through the sight. His vision blurred. Normally he would have tried a snap shot, his natural aim was good enough, but now his hands were shaking, a fine tremor he couldn't control. Lalli hissed in frustration, tried to calm and centre himself, but the solid anchor he needed, his own unwavering nature, was gone. He needed help. His first thought was to appeal to Tapio and Mielikki, since the bear was their responsibility, but that somehow didn't feel right. Who, then? An image drifted across his inner sight: a narrow brown face, the expression on the fine features enigmatic, hair like leaves around the buds of horns, the tall erect figure garbed in red and blue, a bow held in one long hand. Yes.

Chanting aloud would draw the beast to him, Lalli knew, but that, too, felt right. He stood unsteadily, grandmother's rifle in his hands, shaped the runo in his mind, and began to sing:

Brave Nyyrikki, noble hunter
Help me in my time of weakness.
Friends, companions, need my aid now.
Guide my hand and still its trembling.
Let my shot fly as your arrows
True and straight and missing never.

Burst the brain and free the spirit.
Save this soul that struggles sorely.
Once a bear that roamed the forest,
Changed into a murderous monster.
Help him now, that once was Otso!

Let my shot fly as your arrows!
Slay this beast and free its spirit
Flying gladly to your father
To his free herds of the forest.

By the sixth line the massive head had turned toward him. By the eighth the creature was charging.
                                                  **********************************************

Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1366 on: January 18, 2016, 12:53:28 AM »
Róisín that is gorgeous! And intense, I'm on the edge of my seat! I particularly enjoyed this line:
Meanwhile the sun inched down the sky and the shadows lengthened.
I'm not sure why it struck me; maybe because on the surface it's merely a description, but when you take into account what happens when the sun goes down it becomes ominous. (Or maybe I just like the word "inched"?) Anyway, I look forward to reading more!
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1367 on: January 18, 2016, 01:02:47 AM »
Hi all! Here's the next bit of 'Gone Astray'. Last part should be up in a day or two.

GONE ASTRAY: PART 2:

I love it! Especially the Runo spell at the end, that was beautiful!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

DiscoMonster

« Reply #1368 on: January 18, 2016, 01:21:14 AM »
A pure sci-fi take on SSSS? And a good and funny one, too!? <3 <3 MARRY ME! And make me loads of little sci-fi/SSSS ficlets! PLEASE!

(Dammit, this fandom IS dangerous  :o I just came over because I was starved for SSSS fic and there isn't enough new stuff over on Ao3, and suddenly here I am, proposing to a complete stranger O.O )

SSSS Singles dating site: Looking for fun, friends and future ficlets. Owns hardback copy of aRtD. Likes dressing up in costume and living out fantasies.  8) Reality: Fifty, father of three, frivolous and facetious.

But! Oh! How can I refuse? I'm blushing. I'll give you the ficlet of your dreams. But not this week.The children are staying with me...  ::)

DiscoMonster

« Reply #1369 on: January 18, 2016, 01:28:28 AM »
By the sixth line the massive head had turned toward him. By the eighth the creature was charging.                                              **********************************************

Argh! What happens next? Too exciting. Too vivid. Too good. Begins to add to the keyboard's F5 stress.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1370 on: January 18, 2016, 09:15:57 PM »

GONE ASTRAY: PART 2

Aaaaaaaaaaaah suspense! What happens next, I need to knooooooooow!
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1371 on: January 19, 2016, 12:04:05 PM »
I'm way behind in reading fanfics... but I wrote a new one.
Thanks again to Noodly for reading it through :)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5764144
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1372 on: January 19, 2016, 12:38:48 PM »

Ahahaha, this is so great! I had a really hard time keeping a straight face (I'm at work and it's probably not a great idea to laugh out loud at the front customer service desk). Poor Emil can't catch a break! :))

Spoiler: show
Also, cleaning a bathroom is the ultimate sign of love/friendship.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1373 on: January 19, 2016, 01:23:18 PM »

Spoiler: show
Also, cleaning a bathroom is the ultimate sign of love/friendship.

Agreed 100%.
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Róisín

« Reply #1374 on: January 20, 2016, 08:38:47 AM »
Helia, love it! So very, very Emil!

And thanks, everyone who commented on 'Gone Astray'. Glad you like it!

shoop

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • sup homes
« Reply #1375 on: January 20, 2016, 10:57:18 PM »

ah!!! this was incredibly delightful. Oh Emil. You make life harder for yourself than you need to, pal.

I have a new fic up that is borrowing from an AU misea had! and then ideas snowballed, and, this is going to be the start of a Long Haul, guys.

Róisín

« Reply #1376 on: January 21, 2016, 01:02:12 AM »
This looks fascinating! I'm very curious to see where this goes. And I see that Emil is being - well - Emil.

Róisín

« Reply #1377 on: January 21, 2016, 07:56:03 AM »
The last bit of 'Gone Astray'.

GONE ASTRAY: PART 3

"Sigrun?"

"Yeah?"

"What are we going to do? I mean, really? You know as well as I do that thing will swat us like flies before we can get enough shots into it to kill it."

"Then those shots will just have to be good ones, kid. Take your time, aim for the head. That's what I'm gonna do. One of us has to get a good hit, you'll see."

She paused, glanced out at the bear-beast. It was stirring restlessly. She wondered what had disturbed it.

"Sigrun? How would it be if you hid upstairs and I hit it with a few grenades? Then you could still try shooting it ....if....if it needed doing..." Emil's voice wavered and stopped.

"No way, hero! Both of us get out, or neither. That's just.... What is that?"

Outside, someone was singing.

As they raced for the window, the last notes of the runo blended with the roar of the beast, the noise of crashing masonry, and a single shot.

Before he reached the window Emil knew it was Lalli. He had no words for the sensation that swept over him, but for an instant he felt the impact as if in his own flesh. Sigrun grabbed him as he staggered and almost fell, then they were both crowding the narrow window, staring out at the bodies tangled atop a pile of rubble in a chaos of broken bricks, rotting dark fur and splintered bone, bloodied white uniform and silver hair.

******************************************************

"Look, Emil, sometimes you've just gotta deal with it. People die. Friends die. And I think Lalli could be dying now."

Outside, the last daylight faded. The wind began to rise, smelling of snow. Sigrun had decided that their chances of surviving the night would be better if they forted up in the top room of the clock tower than if they tried to struggle back to the tank carrying a comatose scout. They had barricaded the door as well as they could, and the coming night promised to be cold enough to offer some protection from beasts and trolls. All they needed to do was survive until morning. Sigrun was carrying some dried meat, she and Emil both had water, and they had found some hardbread and a water flask in the pocket of Lalli's coat. With three bodies huddled together, they wouldn't freeze. But although Lalli's injuries seemed superficial, nothing they tried could wake him. To Emil, his friend seemed to be drawing further away with every moment, his skin pale and waxy, his thin body cold to the touch.

"But what's wrong with him? Nothing's broken; he has a few nasty gashes from that thing's claws, but they've stopped bleeding now, and he's immune so it isn't the Illness! I don't think he's concussed. And he's so cold! Is he bleeding inside, or what?"

"Dunno about bleeding. But I don't think that's it at all. Poor little twig has been really out of it since he came back from that last scouting run. I think he ran into trouble while he was finding us a new route, and overused his magic dealing with it. You saw him when he came back, he was out on his feet."

"I thought he was just really, really tired. And maybe still sick from the driving. His nose wouldn't stop bleeding. And his eyes. But Sigrun - you know perfectly well there's no such thing as magic. That's just silly superstition!"

Sigrun's expression was exasperated. "Yeah, I know you city boys think that. And Mikkel, maybe. The Danes don't use magic, more fools them. Though I would hope he had been around long enough by now to know better. But when one of our folk turns out to have the talent, we ship 'em off to Iceland to be schooled, and they come back pretty useful. My great-grandpa had magic, back in the old days, and one of my cousins has it now. Not me, but I know about it."

"And I know that every now and then one of our mages does something that's more than his body can stand. Or his mind. Seen it happen, out in the field. There was this one Icelandic mage, held off a giant singlehanded for a whole night, kept it immobilised until the soldiers could surround it, kill it and burn out the nest it was protecting. Then she just went to sleep and never woke up. Didn't think Lalli was that bad, so I figured the best thing to do was to let him rest for a few days. I wonder what made him come after us?"

Emil shivered at the thought of how things might have turned out if Lalli hadn't followed them.
 "I don't believe in magic. But Tuuri seemed pretty evasive when I asked her if he was ill. Maybe she thought the same as you do? But whatever it is, what can we do to help him now?"

"Not a lot. Try to keep him warm. Give him water if he wakes, a bit of food if he's able to eat. If he lives through the night, as soon as it's light tomorrow I'll go back and bring Mikkel. Even if there's nothing else he can do, he can at least carry the poor kid back to die in a warm bed. And you might try praying. Can't hurt, and might help."

Emil had never prayed in his life. He had no idea how to begin now.
                                                  *********************************************

Emil could hear Sigrun's voice, but her soft murmur was low enough that he couldn't interpret her words clearly. He supposed she might be praying. She had done all she could to secure the old building for the night, eaten a little, and now lay curled on the dusty floor against Lalli's back, her coat opened and partly draped over the unconscious scout, sharing body heat. Emil lay facing her in a similar posture, with his arm under Lalli's head, the still face turned against his shoulder. He felt ready to weep from rage at his own helplessness. He didn't notice the moment when fear and worry drifted into exhausted sleep.

The scent of green plants and water caught Emil's attention at the same moment he became aware of the slight weight in his arms, and realised that he must be dreaming. Strange, he thought. Wherever this dream was, it smelled like springtime. Late springtime, just beginning to move into summer. He could hear a faint rippling of water, and the distant calls of birds. So peaceful. He was in no hurry to open his eyes. He lay still and revelled in the warmth and quiet, the feeling of safety.

There was a sound, faint as a bubble bursting, or a strain of music right at the edge of hearing. Emil's eyes flew open. He was lying on a raft of old, weathered boards, floating in a pool of clear water. A tangle of stems topped with a few flowers stood at the pool's edge. Leaves floated on the water close to his face - he supposed they must be waterlilies. Lalli lay in his arms. His body felt insubstantial, hardly there at all, his pale face almost translucent in the soft light. Something - someone - stood at the edge of the pool, gazing down at them. It looked like a man, in the costume of a nobleman from the old fairytales, but strangely, inhumanly beautiful; it held a strung bow.

Emil couldn't move. He gazed up, and up, at the figure, taking in the vivid colours that still somehow blended into the marshy forest, and the sense that whatever this was, it was real, more real than his own self. So real and immediate that at first he failed to notice the two other shapes, one on either side of it. Once he saw them he would have recoiled in terror, but still he couldn't move or speak. Hunter, lynx and bear gazed down at him, impassive.

This was it, then. He was about to die, torn apart by monsters in a dream of some swampy wilderness. But he was not alone.  Lalli was here too. He had to protect Lalli.......

Emil was still trying to force his dream-body to move when the lynx stepped forward and nuzzled Lalli's limply trailing hand. Then somehow melted into Lalli's body. Emil jolted awake, a barely suppressed scream on his lips.
                                                  *********************************************

Sigrun started awake at a sound, realised it was Emil having a nightmare, and carefully rose to make sure the door was secure. All safe and quiet, good. Before lying down she checked on Lalli again, and was relieved to feel his pulse stronger, his body warmer. Even sleeping deeply as he was, he felt, somehow, more like himself. Emil stirred sleepily, clasped Lalli closer to him and slept again. Sigrun smiled to herself. They might yet all make it to morning. It was strange, she thought, how the feel of the night had changed. She felt....protected. Watched over. Still smiling, she lay down, threw an arm over the two sleeping boys, and slept again.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1378 on: January 21, 2016, 09:03:09 AM »
It feels like forever since I've had the time to sit down and read what's been posted here!

Kiraly, every chapter of the hipster AU makes me chuckle! Looking forward to the next one!

LooNEY, I'm loving the jazz band AU, especially Emil train of thought and Onni's crippling stage fright (ah, the good old backstage hurl bucket...) :D

Róisín, I was just about to say how dare you leave us in suspense like that when you posted the conclusion! That was a beautiful ending, especially your description of Lalli's haven. (And I hope it goes without saying that I'm impressed with the runo you wrote, something I could never do in a hundred years - poetry is a bit of a closed book for me!)

DiscoMonster, this is some interesting stuff you've written!

Helia, poor Emil, I imagine going back to his old duties will be a nasty change of pace after the expedition's over!

shoop, I'm very excited for the next chapter!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:07:45 AM by SectoBoss »
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #1379 on: January 21, 2016, 09:21:40 AM »
Róisín The ending of "Gone Astray" was beautiful, thank you for writing such a wonderful story!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race