Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 779961 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1305 on: January 03, 2016, 09:52:47 PM »
Herewith a short fic in response to today's page. Still can't use A3O, so trying this.

GONE ASTRAY
(Cut for length)

I was saving this for when I'd have time to sit down and concentrate aaaand I'm so glad I did that, because I love your writing. *_* Looking forward to more, if you plan to continue.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1306 on: January 03, 2016, 11:06:57 PM »
Yuuago: glad you liked it. I may or may not go on (mundane life is busier even than usual just at present, with visiting friends-and-relations during the holidays, several major events in the communities in which I'm involved, and trying to keep my food garden from perishing in a summer which is extreme even by Australian standards). However, being the folklore nerd that I am, I'm finding it interesting to explore how living with their style of magic would be, in their day-to-day lives, their relationships and their work.

If I ever get A3O to work for me again, which I may do when I migrate to the new computer, I plan to repost this stuff there, as well as finally putting up the rest of that long fic I have over there which has been stalled for some months.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #1307 on: January 04, 2016, 12:10:39 AM »
Wonderful writing, everyone!

I tried to resist. I tried to tell myself it was a bad idea. But I couldn't help it, once the notion entered my head it wouldn't leave me alone until I wrote it out and inflicted it on the world. I shall let you all decide on an appropriate punishment.

"The Currently Untitled Fanfic that Probably Doesn't Actually Deserve a Title"

Length: 1.7k
Characters: The Hotakainen family
Summary: What was Grandma Hotakainen's terrible mistake? What is looking for the Hotakainens? Why is every sentence in this summary in the form of a question?
Relationships: Just family stuff
Rating: No gore or adult situations. Apart from that, take your chances.

Located on my personal blog and including an intro for non SSSS folk - http://wyrmlog.wyrmworld.com/?p=7351

Edit: Meant to say that my Finnish is from Google Translate and therefore likely to be awful

I WAS PREPARED FOR SOME BEAST STRAIGHT OUTTA MY SISTER'S NIGHTMARES AND I JUST

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA *wipes tears from eyes* AMAZING.

Oh, look.

I made a little Family Headcannon fanfic.

With a Hey and a Ho (and a Hey-Nonny-No!)
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Spoiler: show

Y67, Spring

She was tired.

Dawn was edging its way into the world, and she was tired from another night of Warding Duty. Their little corner of Saimaa needed a lot of Warding. Unfortunately, her best friend wanted her to meet some idiot man at breakfast today, when she would most likely go comatose right in her food, and the idiot man would laugh at her.

It was certain that the man was an idiot, of course; even her brother was an idiot, and he was the pick of the men around here, which was why her best friend was his wife, marking the only truly wise decision he’d ever made.

Or it might be even worse: she might pass out into her food and the unknown idiot wouldn’t laugh at her, or at least not openly, because of whose daughter she was. Another form of male idiocy was to be intimidated by the Empowered, such as her mother and herself. She’d seen it all too often: a man would look at her with sudden fear, because he thought she’d turn him into a newt or something equally ridiculous as repayment for a randomly offensive joke. Morons.

She stumbled into the eating area, hoping her friend wasn’t there yet, but her friend was, and was even then pointing her out to someone hidden behind a post. Great. Now, they’d close in for the kill, and she’d never get her sleep.

In the event, she actually managed to procure a bowl of Hot Morning Sludge, seat herself at a quiet table, and eat just enough to pass out before she dimly heard her friend saying, “Hey, she’s pretty cute, right?”

She didn’t catch his response, but when she snapped awake for a moment, as she often did in these morning naps, she found that he’d moved her bowl to one side so that she wouldn’t spill its disgusting contents all over herself as she slept. And he had been the one to do that; nice as her best friend was, the notion to do that would never have occurred to her.

Well, maybe he wasn’t as big of an idiot as she’d feared.

Y67, Summer

All the rigors of troll season were upon them, and she was even more tired than usual. Warding grew more important night by waning night, until the turning of the solstice would bring the ward of weather back.

She still hadn’t met the man her friend was so keen on her meeting, and that was perfectly fine by her.

She stumbled into the eating area again, but her usual table was occupied by a thin, rather nice looking man of about her own age. As soon as she saw him, something in her said, ‘Oh, there he is’. Being who she was, she trusted the voice.

Without a word, she sat down on his lap, put her arms around his shoulders, laid her head on his chest, and went to sleep, not hearing her best friend ask him, “You two really get along, huh?”

Words were overrated anyway.

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show

My own spin on RTR’s little comic.

E X C E L L E N T

Herewith a short fic in response to today's page. Still can't use A3O, so trying this.

GONE ASTRAY
o___o Next installment, please! I'm dying of curiosity now

Kiraly: Must. Fight. The urge. To ship. Must. NOT. SHIP. MUST NOT. *ships anyway* dang it
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1308 on: January 04, 2016, 09:50:24 AM »
Thanks!

...you're the second person I've talked to in as many days who's missing that particular bit of nerd cred. Though I do hope you know the gist of the movie, if you want to keep reading, since I've been writing with the assumption of familiarity with both fandoms.
I'm vaguely familiar with it, and I suppose if I don't understand I can always do some research. (Or ask my housemate, who was totally horrified when she found out I hadn't seen them.)

Thanks so much for your lovely comments, Talimee and Róisín! I'm really glad people are enjoying the story, and it's nice to hear that the choices I'm making (like the bike mechanic thing or including the CSAs) are fitting with the characters. Also those text messages were waaaaay too much fun to write, so I'm glad they were fun to read as well. :)

Kiraly: Must. Fight. The urge. To ship. Must. NOT. SHIP. MUST NOT. *ships anyway* dang it

Muahahaha, my plan is working!!!  >:D
(But seriously, I'm glad you like it.)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1309 on: January 04, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
Hi, brand new here and unfortunately not bearing gifts. I do have an idea, though, and wanted to know if it was dumb or not: specifically, I really want to write a series prequel, preferably following a group of random characters I have yet to come up with in the Dalsnes survivor community, in around year 15. The general premise would involve watching a band of enthusiastic but no more than semi-trained survivors coming together to Get Really Good at punching trolls in the face.

The story is still very much in the planning stages at this point. I'm posting here partly because I'd like to gauge interest in the idea (including whether or not it sounds even remotely interesting to anyone else, given it wouldn't actually be about our crew) and partly because I was curious if anyone knew what it would help me to take into account or any resources that might be available to call upon. I'm British, and know very little about Scandinavia, so if I'm going to write about it homework is goijng to have to be done. I'm just honestly not very sure where to start right now.

Okay, enough rambling and that was a very long-winded way to ask for help. Thanks for reading. :)

Hey laila, welcome to the board! I learned your age on the other thread already (the story was quite amusing). It would be nice, if you would stop by here and introduce yourself. Thanks =)

Regarding your story I think it sounds interestind. Year 15 leaves a room for lot of speculation on ressources. What might help for that is flipping through the "what if" pages from the xkcd-author. Also wikipedia is a valid friend for researching basic stuff. Also statistics from the area (authorities might even provide some in english, I know Iceland does for some stuff I bet the other skandinavians do so, too).

Good luck with the story!
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1310 on: January 06, 2016, 07:04:45 AM »
What kinds of triggers are the ones that people tend to avoid around here? I understand that with a story like SSSS that does involve a great deal of body horror, most of the readership will have a strong stomach for gore. None of the things I plan to write involve anything untoward in a sexual manner at all, but I am concerned about offending people with graphic violence and gore
I mean, this is the comic where Lalli skinned a dog and then wore its skull because MAGE but I just wondered?
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #1311 on: January 06, 2016, 07:17:32 AM »
What kinds of triggers are the ones that people tend to avoid around here? I understand that with a story like SSSS that does involve a great deal of body horror, most of the readership will have a strong stomach for gore. None of the things I plan to write involve anything untoward in a sexual manner at all, but I am concerned about offending people with graphic violence and gore
I mean, this is the comic where Lalli skinned a dog and then wore its skull because MAGE but I just wondered?

I don't think there's exact rules aside of "if it's on level with the violence shown in SSSS it's acceptable", but I'd just go by the usual rule of courtesy: if dealing with anything extreme (character death, torture, gore and body horror if they're taken to extreme) it's good to give a warning beforehand.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1312 on: January 06, 2016, 07:32:25 AM »
I don't think there's exact rules aside of "if it's on level with the violence shown in SSSS it's acceptable", but I'd just go by the usual rule of courtesy: if dealing with anything extreme (character death, torture, gore and body horror if they're taken to extreme) it's good to give a warning beforehand.

^ What Laufey said. Anything like that, it's probably good to mention in a note.

Otherwise, if it's not extreme, you can generally just slap a "canon-typical violence" on it, or "canon-typical situations" etc, if you want to be careful.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:48:51 AM by Yuuago »
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1313 on: January 06, 2016, 07:55:22 AM »
^ What Laufey said. Anything like that, it's probably good to mention in a note.

Otherwise, if it's not extreme, you can generally just slap a "canon-typical violence" on it, or "canon-typical situations" etc, if you want to be careful.

Ok, thanks very much. I'm not planning anything like Saw-movies level, but it's good to know that the warning system applies here as well. In some places I've been, people don't want spoilers but then get mad that they were triggered
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1314 on: January 06, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
There are some basic rules on first page of the Scriptorium. If you're not sure, put it somewhere like fanfictionnet, Archive of our Own or your own page and link to it with warnings. Asume that a lot of your readers will be teens.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1315 on: January 06, 2016, 08:54:17 AM »

I generally consider it common courtesy to warn for anything that a large number of people might not want to read or might be upset by, for whatever reason. My personal guideline is to warn for anything that goes significantly beyond what appears in the original work. As you said, anyone who's read this comic at all is going to take people being mutated to hideous monsters as a given, but if you're writing about, say, character death or human-on-human murder, then that warrants a warning even if the actual gore level is lower than what's in the comic.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #1316 on: January 06, 2016, 08:57:01 AM »
In some places I've been, people don't want spoilers but then get mad that they were triggered

I've faced this dilemma before as well. If something needs a warning but warning for, say, character death would constitute a major spoiler, I generally just play it safe and say "read at your own risk."
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1317 on: January 06, 2016, 09:15:18 AM »
Quote from: Rules
  • If the drawing contains blood/scariness/violence within what the canon SSSS comic has portrayed/contained, you do not need to put it under a spoiler.
  • If it does contain graphic gore or abject horror, it's not the best idea to post it outright. Please link or spoiler with a warning.

What applies for drawing should work for writing, too.

For further questions on rules you could take a look at our rules topic.

Seems we have to rephrase the rule so any kind of art (written/drawn/crafted/animated is included ;)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

daiseerose

« Reply #1318 on: January 07, 2016, 09:00:25 PM »
this is my gift from the ssss secret santa!

I will add a link because it's shippy... and also constructive criticism is welcomed! ( no one ever gives me any)
but it's only a short drabble thing

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5666068

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1319 on: January 09, 2016, 04:25:35 PM »
For those not following the Secret Santa, here’s my gift to frenci, based on the prompt for Yuuago’s “Until We Meet Again”, but with a few twists. (What if the one who remembered was not the one seeking to reconnect?)

Aaaaaaand there’s also this:

Forced to Fight
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Spoiler: show

Sigrun Eide was starting to get angry, and that was not generally accounted to be a good thing. Sigrun was as free-thinking as the next girl, but being tied to a chair and thrown down a pit was not her kink, especially when done by a coward who wouldn’t even show themselves.

For Sigrun, as for many people, the present held a decided primacy over the past; thus, the exact circumstances of her being bound to the chair and thrown in the hole were, in her mind, quite secondary to getting out from the chair, and the hole, for that matter.

Hmmmmm. The hole, such as it was, was maybe two and a half or three meters deep, and there was a sort-of shelf about a meter up one side. It was almost as if her captor wanted her to be able to escape, but only just.

Sigrun was a very good jumper, even under circumstances of extremely low mobility such as these, so the first jump was pretty easy. The second and much higher jump took four tries and several minutes of blistering invective, but she finally made it, and still tied to the chair, no less.

She’d debouched from the hole onto an upper floor of the wreck they’d been exploring, and now that she had fewer immediate worries, she began to consider, not without a certain degree of concern, what might have happened to Emil.

Before Sigrun could wrest herself from the chair, or plunge too deeply into concern for her team-mate, a Giant appeared between one blink and the next. Well, this day just kept getting better.

There was no time to worry about how the Giant had appeared: all her time had to be spent defeating it. Displaying considerable dexterity, Sigrun flipped around, lashing out at the Giant with the legs of the chair she was still tied to.

The Giant was obviously not expecting such aggressiveness from its putative prey, so it hesitated, with predictably fatal consequences. It is never wise for an opponent of Sigrun Eide to hesitate.

Sigrun had faced Giants before, and she knew that, for all their strengths, they still had weaknesses. One of these weaknesses was a susceptibility to close-in knife work--if you got close enough in the right spot, it had trouble getting at you before you sliced it, but you had to be very close.

Sigrun had used her first attack to finish breaking free from the ropes holding her to the chair, but wrecking the chair in the process. While the Giant was still off-balance, she grabbed one of the chair’s legs, drawing her trusty knife with the other hand.

The Giant, while massive, proved to only have a few viable heads, so Sigrun made short work of most of them. After the Giant was down to one head, though, it began protecting that head fiercely. It took all of Sigrun’s cunning to finally force the Giant to expose its last head so that she could smash it with her club.

Sigrun allowed herself a few heavy breaths as she stood over the Giant’s corpse. The last breath, however, brought with it a faint scent of smoke. Was Emil at work? Sigrun dashed off to follow the scent...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show

So, Windfighter’s idea (Just below the third quote: “it’d be weird if...”) got me thinking again, and that’s never a good thing.