Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 779587 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1275 on: December 30, 2015, 04:56:44 PM »
Oh, look.

I made a little Family Headcannon fanfic.

With a Hey and a Ho (and a Hey-Nonny-No!)
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Spoiler: show

Y67, Spring

She was tired.

Dawn was edging its way into the world, and she was tired from another night of Warding Duty. Their little corner of Saimaa needed a lot of Warding. Unfortunately, her best friend wanted her to meet some idiot man at breakfast today, when she would most likely go comatose right in her food, and the idiot man would laugh at her.

It was certain that the man was an idiot, of course; even her brother was an idiot, and he was the pick of the men around here, which was why her best friend was his wife, marking the only truly wise decision he’d ever made.

Or it might be even worse: she might pass out into her food and the unknown idiot wouldn’t laugh at her, or at least not openly, because of whose daughter she was. Another form of male idiocy was to be intimidated by the Empowered, such as her mother and herself. She’d seen it all too often: a man would look at her with sudden fear, because he thought she’d turn him into a newt or something equally ridiculous as repayment for a randomly offensive joke. Morons.

She stumbled into the eating area, hoping her friend wasn’t there yet, but her friend was, and was even then pointing her out to someone hidden behind a post. Great. Now, they’d close in for the kill, and she’d never get her sleep.

In the event, she actually managed to procure a bowl of Hot Morning Sludge, seat herself at a quiet table, and eat just enough to pass out before she dimly heard her friend saying, “Hey, she’s pretty cute, right?”

She didn’t catch his response, but when she snapped awake for a moment, as she often did in these morning naps, she found that he’d moved her bowl to one side so that she wouldn’t spill its disgusting contents all over herself as she slept. And he had been the one to do that; nice as her best friend was, the notion to do that would never have occurred to her.

Well, maybe he wasn’t as big of an idiot as she’d feared.

Y67, Summer

All the rigors of troll season were upon them, and she was even more tired than usual. Warding grew more important night by waning night, until the turning of the solstice would bring the ward of weather back.

She still hadn’t met the man her friend was so keen on her meeting, and that was perfectly fine by her.

She stumbled into the eating area again, but her usual table was occupied by a thin, rather nice looking man of about her own age. As soon as she saw him, something in her said, ‘Oh, there he is’. Being who she was, she trusted the voice.

Without a word, she sat down on his lap, put her arms around his shoulders, laid her head on his chest, and went to sleep, not hearing her best friend ask him, “You two really get along, huh?”

Words were overrated anyway.

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show

My own spin on RTR’s little comic.

Okay, that was adorable. Sounds exactly like how Lalli's parents would deal with relationships.

So here's what I'm really asking by way of help: does anyone actually want to read this thing that I'm still bouncing around?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1276 on: December 30, 2015, 05:05:22 PM »
So here's what I'm really asking by way of help: does anyone actually want to read this thing that I'm still bouncing around?
*breathy whisper* If you post it, they will read.

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1277 on: December 30, 2015, 06:23:08 PM »
This is... Not a fic. But it's a song based on Kiraly's fic. So I guess I'll link it here?

http://seilannstar.tumblr.com/post/136285946909/so-i-got-carried-away-and-even-though-im

Lyrics (and character commentary) included. :)

does anyone actually want to read this thing that I'm still bouncing around?

YES.
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1278 on: December 30, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
This is... Not a fic. But it's a song based on Kiraly's fic. So I guess I'll link it here?

http://seilannstar.tumblr.com/post/136285946909/so-i-got-carried-away-and-even-though-im

Lyrics (and character commentary) included. :)

OH MY GOSH LOOK AT THAT I MEAN LISTEN TO IT AAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

If anyone needs me I'll be in the corner hyperventilating from pure joy, this is amazing! It's exactly the kind of thing Sigrun would write, and the side comments from Tuuri and Emil are hilarious!

I guess I need to go write more of the fic to be worthy of this amazing thing. :))
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1279 on: December 31, 2015, 08:27:38 PM »
I've been sitting on my hands for weeks, and I'm so glad that I can FINALLY post these two stories! They were written for a blind exchange; fics were revealed on Dec 24, so some of you might have already seen these, but authors had to be kept a secret until January 01.

01. Title: Don't Fall Behind
Pairing: Emil/Lalli, but the story is mostly action, not romance.
Rating: 13+ for canon-typical violence
Length: 4.6k
Summary: While on a book-hunting mission in an old library, Emil loses track of Lalli. Again. Finding him again isn't as easy a task as he would like it to be.
Read at Ao3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/5413331
Dreamwidth backup: http://roesslyng.dreamwidth.org/59048.html

02. Title: I will love you quietly
Characters: Emil & Lalli; friendship/ambiguous relationship
Rating: 0+/G
Length: 1.3k
Summary: When Lalli wakes, he finds that someone has been keeping watch over him. He isn't surprised in the least.
*This is compliant to the end of Chapter 8, but diverges a little after that, because I started writing it at the beginning of Chapter 9.
Read at Ao3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/5413952
Dreamwidth backup: http://roesslyng.dreamwidth.org/59312.html
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1280 on: January 01, 2016, 03:19:03 AM »
Herewith a short fic in response to today's page. Still can't use A3O, so trying this.

GONE ASTRAY:

A few hours past noon, as the sun begins to decline, Lalli's bursting bladder finally gets the attention of his drifting mind. He crawls from under Tuuri's bunk, staggers upright, pulling himself up by the bedframe, holding on until the world stops spinning. Then, leaning on the walls to keep from falling, he makes his way to the head. He manages not to pass out from the effort of pissing, though it's a close-run thing. He leans on the wall for a moment, trying to see through the jagged splinters of pain in his head, slowly realising that the tank is silent.

That's strange. Normally it's noisy, with his crewmates moving about, banging doors, dropping things, shouting to one another. Five people breathing, talking, arguing, giving and receiving orders, working, interacting. Mikkel rumbling a tune to himself as he washes clothes or cooks, Sigrun yelling for Emil, Tuuri and Reynir chattering incomprehensible Icelandic to one another, the kitten demanding its mother, Emil fussing and babbling Swedish nonsense at him...... and where is Emil? Lalli's last clear memory is of Emil's concerned face, leaning over him as he faded into a haze of weakness, pain and exhaustion. He had somehow not expected that his friend would leave him alone.

He can't think. The aching void in his spirit where the lynx should be gets in the way. How long? Still less than a full day, as far as he can tell: no need to panic just yet. But it hurts.

He realises that part of the discomfort is thirst and hunger. That's odd too. Surely Tuuri or Mikkel would remember that he'd need water after motion sickness and blood loss? He must have slept through the evening meal. And breakfast. He staggers over to Mikkel's food preparation area, finds the crock of filtered water, drinks in slow cautious mouthfuls until his head clears a little. Not too much at once, he doesn't want to start throwing up again. Food. He finds a piece of hardbread and a handful of dried berries, and goes to sit on the driver's seat while he eats.

The view through the cracked windscreen tells him nothing. He remembers scouting this courtyard, pushing on through his exhaustion to find them a safe camp. The strangely empty buildings. Those weird spirits. Over by the building where he had seen them, he can perceive a change in the feel of the place, but his mind is still too blurry to get a clear reading. He narrows his eyes at the churned-up snow, the spatters of blood nearby, the much more defined blood trail leading up the steps of that  building. Something happened, then. What? Why didn't they try to wake him? And where is everyone?

Fear and worry begin to niggle at the edges of his mind. Even in his current condition, Lalli is sure he would know if Tuuri were dead. In some distant corner of his mind he can still feel the connection to her, the awareness of her breath and spirit that only family share. His fear eases a little as he realises that she feels whole, and ......calm-but-excited? He doesn't understand, but is relieved. Then Tuuri is driven out of his thoughts as he realises that he can feel Emil too, in the same way. That will bear thinking about, once he is able to think clearly again. But Emil is not calm. Wherever he may be, his spirit is agitated, afraid; his breath is erratic.

Lalli makes up his mind. He has to go. The body is still shaking with weakness, the absence of his luonto aches like an open wound. He wants nothing more than to go back to sleep. But his team, and his family, and his chosen family, need him. He goes back into the bunkroom, picks up his puukko and rifle. Drops a flask of water and another piece of bread into his pocket. Goes out into the slanting afternoon light, closing the tank carefully behind him.

He follows the blood trail cautiously, finding only a small dead troll, its head smashed, its spirit ....gone? Good. But the previously passive spirits are restless, their attention turning to him in a way he doesn't like. He edges out of the building, turning his back on them only when he is out in the full sunlight.

Lalli can make little sense of the confused mess of churned snow, half-obliterated tracks of the tank, the troll, and his team. He catches the rank stink of troll blood, mixed with the fading sharp sweet scent that has to be Sigrun's blood; sees where the troll broke away and dragged itself up the steps. Follows yesterday's tracks back toward the tank, noticing the unevenness of Emil's footprints. Sigrun and Emil are both hurt, then. Those tracks are partly blurred by a later light snowfall, but there are two new groups of footprints, not more than four or five hours old, leading away from the tank. Mikkel, Tuuri, Reynir, together: long energetic strides, even Tuuri. Deep even footprints, heading off toward that weird star-shaped structure he had seen on the map. Those three were okay.

The other group: Sigrun and Emil. Older tracks, maybe by an hour, heading in the opposite direction. Shorter, uneven paces, especially Emil, whose tracks looked as if he were limping badly. Even Sigrun's steps wavered a little. Yes, both injured. So where were they going, and why? And why would Mikkel let them go? Whatever they were doing, it had to be urgent.

Follow Emil and Sigrun, then. They seemed most likely to need his help, such as it was in his present state. Lalli turns his attention inward, to mind and spirit. No, not a flicker of magic, just emptiness, weariness, confusion, pain. Well, he could still pray. And shoot.

In the fading light he sets out after his captain and his friend.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:40:09 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1281 on: January 01, 2016, 03:47:28 AM »
Herewith a short fic in response to today's page. Still can't use A3O, so trying this.

GONE ASTRAY
[snip]

That's really good! I haven't seen any of your writing before, but you are quite good at it! :)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Róisín

« Reply #1282 on: January 01, 2016, 04:22:24 AM »
Thanks! I'm over on A3O as Tanist, but at present I have a half-finished fic over there which I can't update just now because cursed machineries. However, in the absence of technical help, and until I switch to another computer sometime soon, I'll keep trying to post short stuff to the Scriptorium. Glad you liked it!

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1283 on: January 01, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »

GONE ASTRAY:
[snip]

Róisín, I love this! The way it feels to be missing his luonto, how he goes about deducting what's happened to everyone, and the fact that he can sense Emil as though he's family -- it's all so detailed and well-crafted and fits perfectly into canon.
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #1284 on: January 01, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »
Róisín that's amazing! I love the idea that Lalli can sense how his family members are doing...and that Emil has become one of them. :)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #1285 on: January 01, 2016, 02:24:04 PM »
Róisín: this is a brilliant piece of writing! I love how Lalli being without his luonto lends an exhausted feel to the whole story while also a realistic portrayal of the symptoms and how, in just a few days, Emil has become close enough to count as family. Lalli being a masterful tracker also fits with his character, I don't think there's anything about that said in canon yet but it feels so naturally right for him that I'd be more surprised if he wasn't good at it.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1286 on: January 01, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »
Róisín, this is very good and I would like to read more from you :)

Yuu, how do you do to... *Tilts* restore that kind of little moments, nearly nothing but saying a lot more ? I'm... always touched by this kind of little moments.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1287 on: January 01, 2016, 06:03:33 PM »

GONE ASTRAY

I really liked this! The whole tone of it sounds very 'Lalli', if that makes any sense...
I'd try and word that better but it's 11pm and I'm frazzled
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

« Reply #1288 on: January 01, 2016, 11:45:43 PM »
Thanks, everyone! I'm glad you like it. Finnish magic isn't my thing, I'm more into the Aboriginal and Celtic traditions, but I try to fit together what Minna has said about the characters with what would work for a part-trained young mage of one of the more nature-based traditions which are more familiar to me. And then insert that into the cracks in canon. Sounds as if it works.

I'm getting my head around the concept of fanfic, slowly. In some ways it's not too different to the role of storyteller, which is one of the things I do in real life. I hope to write more, as far as permitted by uncooperative devices, minimal technical/computer skills and an extremely busy life. And again, glad you liked it.

Róisín

« Reply #1289 on: January 02, 2016, 01:01:38 AM »
LooNEY, meant to say I liked your headcanon fic. It made me laugh, and sounds like exactly the kind of thing that they would do.

Seilann: good song! Needs a nice thumping bass and, yeah, an epic guitar solo with lots of twanging reverb! For some reason I'm thinking your voice would work well with some of Dory Previn's stuff. Can just hear you doing 'Left Handed People' or 'Morning Star - Evening Star'.