Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780237 times)

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1230 on: December 17, 2015, 01:13:36 AM »
Emil and Lalli weren't happy that I dared make my intro post before I was done writing the multi-chapter fic about them I've been working on. So they made me write this instead this night:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5431757
Conflicted
Rating: General Audiences
Warnings: None
Relationships: Lalli Hotakainen & Emil Västerström
Characters: Emil-centric, lots of Lalli, quite a bit of Tuuri, meaningful appearances of everyone else except Purrito
Tags: Angst, Friendship, Gen or Pre-Slash as you want
Summary: Everyone reasonable knows that magic doesn't exist. So when Lalli insists that the reason he's so sick is based in magic, Emil's concern for his friend conflicts with his anger at Lalli's obvious lie.

OH WHOA HECK YEAH

I sat down at 7pm, determined that I'd get my modern AU finished or die trying. It's now 2am and although I'm not dead I get the feeling I'm not far off  :))

The last chapter:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5353481/chapters/12563006

I really really hope you like it, it's certainly been quite an experience to write.
(special thanks to Laufey who gave me a lot of help with ideas that ended up getting cut completely. Sorry about that!)

I
I'm reeling @___@
DANG that was good
oh wow
whoa
Let me... just... take the next few days to... process this...
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1231 on: December 17, 2015, 07:21:54 AM »
I sat down at 7pm, determined that I'd get my modern AU finished or die trying. It's now 2am and although I'm not dead I get the feeling I'm not far off  :))

The last chapter:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5353481/chapters/12563006

I really really hope you like it, it's certainly been quite an experience to write.
(special thanks to Laufey who gave me a lot of help with ideas that ended up getting cut completely. Sorry about that!)
This hit hard ;w; it was beautiful and definitely a worthy ending!

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Ace

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #1232 on: December 18, 2015, 04:37:41 PM »
Right, so I've been writing... Tonnes of fanfiction, mainly SigrunMikkel and other things from Mikkel's perspetive (because I' a Dane and, trust me, I am Fem!Mikkel incarnate). They're all on my Tumblr and my AO3 users:

On Tumblr I'm Ace of Fanfiction (Tumblr is crashing on me lately, so no link I'm afraid. It'll be back up tomorrow, it's just acting up.)

AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/users/AceOfShipping/profile
I'm basically a female Mikkel Madsen, just a little less barrel shaped. So let me fix you up and maybe I'll give you a småkage!

Languages:
:denmark: : Mother's tongue.
English : My second language.
Plus a little bit of Japanese and Quenya.

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1233 on: December 19, 2015, 06:50:45 PM »
I've already left everyone comments on AO3 but blanket love to all y'all. <3

I'm starting to feel like a jerk only posting here when I have something to share. I'll be on more in the next couple weeks, though.

Pocket Fluff installment 4: http://archiveofourown.org/works/5128250/chapters/12635711

This one was inspired by shoop, who did a cute little comic for the first chapter.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:53:34 PM by Seilann »
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1234 on: December 19, 2015, 11:39:45 PM »
Seilann: that's lovely, and interesting to see the tale from Lalli's point of view. As I mentioned on A3O, you do an excellent job of believably depicting Lalli's sensorium. 'Swedish nonsense' heh!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1235 on: December 20, 2015, 04:46:38 PM »
* LooNEY_DAC swallows nervously at all the new good stuff from everybody

* LooNEY_DAC puts the next bit of the Western up anyway

The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic
Part 16
Caper the Third: The Cave of Time
Part 5
Prior part
Spoiler: show
The Unseen Inferno

War: the winnowing of nations; the crucible of souls. War brought men together that they might rend each other to pieces.

War had always been the breeding ground of plague. Until the mid-20th Century, more deaths were always brought about by sepsis and plague than by the efforts of the enemy.

War was thus the perfect place to release a plague, and where better to release the ultimate plague than the ultimate war?

London, England
1 August, 1808

The man from the Foreign Office studied the massive Dane standing before him with such seeming placidity, his own doubts buried beneath a well-honed mask of aplomb. Hiring soldiers of fortune (against which practice Signor Machiavelli and others had so much to say) at all, and especially when these men of infamously loose morals and looser behavior were composed in large part of men from nations with which the Empire was formally at war, most decidedly went against the grain.

“I was expecting to meet with your captain,” the Foreign Office man remonstrated.

Mikkel almost smiled at that. “Oh, our captain is not one to be summoned by some desk-ridden monkey, however grand his desk may be, and this policy has delivered not merely the captain but our entire group from well-planned traps dressed up as job offers. You will hand me the details of our mission or there will be no mission.”

“Oh, devil take your impudence, man!” The Foreign Office man took a few deep breaths in order to restore his equanimity. “I must applaud your captain’s policy, though it would seem unwise to send such an undiplomatic emissary.”

Mikkel took the proffered envelope. “As to that, the simplest explanation is also the truth: I’m the only one who speaks English.”

Of course, Mikkel was lying. Tuuri had the diplo-speak of the orders sussed within a few minutes of study. “They want us to help the Spaniards in their uprisings against the French.”

“How much do they want our aid?” Sigrun asked with faux off-handedness. Of course, the other four were just as seemingly casual yet intent on the answer.

“Around 30,000 sterling, plus equipment and arms, it looks like,” Tuuri replied. “Though I think some of that’s meant to pay the Spaniards, too.”

“Eh, it’ll do.” And so the rest agreed.

Somewhere in Galicia, Spain
10 December, 1808

Starlight greeted the Western Six as they stepped out from the mouth of the Cave.

“Sooooo... where were we again, Tuuri?” Silence. “Mikkel?” More silence. “Does anyone have even the least clue as to where and when we’ve got to?”

“I see Orion,” Emil remarked.

“Whoop-de-doo.”

“You can only see Orion well during winter; by where it’s at in the sky, we’re still in the Northern Hemisphere, and it’s late fall-ish. Maybe December? But we’re north of the equator, at any rate.”

“And we’re finally in the lead,” Reynir added. “The Man in the Black Hat hasn’t reached here yet so we just have to stake this place out and we’ll get him.”

This, of course, was when the ambush happened.

“Why do I always end up on corpse disposal duty?” Emil asked in frustration. “We never burn ‘em, so why me?”

Sigrun shrugged. “You keep stumbling into the best dump sites.” She turned to Tuuri. “Any idea who they were yet?”

“All these papers are in French, and that’s one of my worst languages,” Tuuri explained. “It doesn’t help that they’re in bad French, either. From what I can make out, though, I think we’re somewhere in Spain, somewhere around 1808-ish, and there’s a war on.”

Mikkel groaned.

“What’s up?”

“There’s more like five wars going on, all muddled together under that jerk Napoleon Bonaparte. Wonderful. Only thing worse would be back in Virginny in the spring of ’65.”

Sigrun was looking decidedly happier at the implied prospects for carnage as Mikkel made his little speech.

“They might have thought that we’re Brits.” Everyone looked at Lalli, who continued, “Might be a problem in future. Brits keep sticking their noses in and making bad stuff worse, so keep getting everybody ticked off at ‘em.”

Lalli looked significantly at Tuuri, who mused, “We speak English, so they might think we’re Brits and hold us to account for whatever Brit idiocy’s in the wind. Great.”

“Are they likely to believe we’re ‘Yanquis’?” Sigrun asked.

“Only if they haven’t met us.”

The answer, delivered in Mikkel’s trademark dry drawl, startled them, especially Mikkel, who hadn’t said it. Heads and not a few six-guns turned in the direction the remark had come from...

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show

Yeah, let’s just say Anglophilia wasn’t a thing in Middle America in the late 19th century (or Spain in late 1808, for that matter).

I debated having the first part become its own little series of adventures--”The Eide Traveling Mercenaries Players”, which would have allowed this stop to take up only one part, but I don’t think I could juggle that many continuing stories at once, as I’m having enough struggles with writer’s block as it is.

But I finally got this part out!!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:38:47 AM by LooNEY_DAC »

Róisín

« Reply #1236 on: December 20, 2015, 06:56:08 PM »
Yay! More action! I do like your Brit diplomat. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1237 on: December 20, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »
* LooNEY_DAC swallows nervously at all the new good stuff from everybody

* LooNEY_DAC puts the next bit of the Western up anyway

The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic
Part 16

Caper the Third: The Cave of Time
Part 4
Prior part
The Unseen Inferno

War: the winnowing of nations; the crucible of souls. War brought men together that they might rend each other to pieces.

War had always been the breeding ground of plague. Until the mid-20th Century, more deaths were always brought about by sepsis and plague than by the efforts of the enemy.

War was thus the perfect place to release a plague, and where better to release the ultimate plague than the ultimate war?

London, England
1 August, 1808

The man from the Foreign Office studied the massive Dane standing before him with such seeming placidity, his own doubts buried beneath a well-honed mask of aplomb. Hiring soldiers of fortune (against which practice Signor Machiavelli and others had so much to say) at all, and especially when these men of infamously loose morals and looser behavior were composed in large part of men from nations with which the Empire was formally at war, most decidedly went against the grain.

“I was expecting to meet with your captain,” the Foreign Office man remonstrated.

Mikkel almost smiled at that. “Oh, our captain is not one to be summoned by some desk-ridden monkey, however grand his desk may be, and this policy has delivered not merely the captain but our entire group from well-planned traps dressed up as job offers. You will hand me the details of our mission or their will be no mission.”

“Oh, devil take your impudence, man!” The Foreign Office man took a few deep breaths in order to restore his equanimity. “I must applaud your captain’s policy, though it would seem unwise to send such an undiplomatic emissary.”

Mikkel took the proffered envelope. “As to that, the simplest explanation is also the truth: I’m the only one who speaks English.”

Of course, Mikkel was lying. Tuuri had the diplo-speak of the orders sussed within a few minutes of study. “They want us to help the Spaniards in their uprisings against the French.”

“How much do they want our aid?” Sigrun asked with faux off-handedness. Of course, the other four were just as seemingly casual yet intent on the answer.

“Around 30,000 sterling, plus equipment and arms, it looks like,” Tuuri replied. “Though I think some of that’s meant to pay the Spaniards, too.”

“Eh, it’ll do.” And so the rest agreed.

Somewhere in Galicia, Spain
10 December, 1808

Starlight greeted the Western Six as they stepped out from the mouth of the Cave.

“Sooooo... where were we again, Tuuri?” Silence. “Mikkel?” More silence. “Does anyone have even the least clue as to where and when we’ve got to?”

“I see Orion,” Emil remarked.

“Whoop-de-doo.”

“You can only see Orion well during winter; by where it’s at in the sky, we’re still in the Northern Hemisphere, and it’s late fall-ish. Maybe December? But we’re north of the equator, at any rate.”

“And we’re finally in the lead,” Reynir added. “The Man in the Black Hat hasn’t reached here yet so we just have to stake this place out and we’ll get him.”

This, of course, was when the ambush happened.

“Why do I always end up on corpse disposal duty?” Emil asked in frustration. “We never burn ‘em, so why me?”

Sigrun shrugged. “You keep stumbling into the best dump sites.” She turned to Tuuri. “Any idea who they were yet?”

“All these papers are in French, and that’s one of my worst languages,” Tuuri explained. “It doesn’t help that they’re in bad French, either. From what I can make out, though, I think we’re somewhere in Spain, somewhere around 1808-ish, and there’s a war on.”

Mikkel groaned.

“What’s up?”

“There’s more like five wars going on, all muddled together under that jerk Napoleon Bonaparte. Wonderful. Only thing worse would be back in Virginny in the spring of ’65.”

Sigrun was looking decidedly happier at the implied prospects for carnage as Mikkel made his little speech.

“They might have thought that we’re Brits.” Everyone looked at Lalli, who continued, “Might be a problem in future. Brits keep sticking their noses in and making bad stuff worse, so keep getting everybody ticked off at ‘em.”

Lalli looked significantly at Tuuri, who mused, “We speak English, so they might think we’re Brits and hold us to account for whatever Brit idiocy’s in the wind. Great.”

“Are they likely to believe we’re ‘Yanquis’?” Sigrun asked.

“Only if they haven’t met us.”

The answer, delivered in Mikkel’s trademark dry drawl, startled them, especially Mikkel, who hadn’t said it. Heads and not a few six-guns turned in the direction the remark had come from...

Yeah, let’s just say Anglophilia wasn’t a thing in Middle America in the late 19th century (or Spain in late 1808, for that matter).

I debated having the first part become its own little series of adventures--”The Eide Traveling Mercenaries Players”, which would have allowed this stop to take up only one part, but I don’t think I could juggle that many continuing stories at once, as I’m having enough struggles with writer’s block as it is.

But I finally got this part out!!!!

* Seilann excitedly reads the new part

One thing I love about this is all the history tidbits and how the characters interact with the setting. I end up learning a lot from your fics!

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1238 on: December 20, 2015, 10:48:43 PM »
I'll just drop this here too, since it's from an AU that started here. What happens when somebody who doesn't write AUs jumps on the näkki-Lalli bandwagon? Well...

"Water and Eternity". 3k length. Characters: Emil and Lalli
Summary: Lalli is becoming something, transforming, changing. He knows this. He also knows that there is someone he must save, someone he must protect, even if doing so means hiding himself away.
Relationships: Lalli/Emil (mild and vague, but it's there)
Rating: 13+ for some canon-typical violence - it's on the mild side, but to be safe...
On Ao3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/5480474
Archive backup: http://roesslyng.dreamwidth.org/59721.html
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1239 on: December 20, 2015, 11:08:24 PM »
I'll just drop this here too, since it's from an AU that started here. What happens when somebody who doesn't write AUs jumps on the näkki-Lalli bandwagon? Well...

"Water and Eternity". 3k length. Characters: Emil and Lalli
Summary: Lalli is becoming something, transforming, changing. He knows this. He also knows that there is someone he must save, someone he must protect, even if doing so means hiding himself away.
Relationships: Lalli/Emil (mild and vague, but it's there)
Rating: 13+ for some canon-typical violence - it's on the mild side, but to be safe...
On Ao3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/5480474
Archive backup: http://roesslyng.dreamwidth.org/59721.html

YUUAGO PLEASE NEVER STOP WRITING.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1240 on: December 21, 2015, 01:18:02 AM »
Uh, Yuuago, you're not helping me be less intimidated: your latest is too magnificent for that.

Oh, well.

So, here's this bit of fluff:
The Jylland Jump
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Jazz Age” crossover fanfic
Part 3
Prior part
Bing! Bing! Bing!

Downtown Copenhagen was even more bustling than usual today, last-minute shoppers rushing from store to store in more or less panicky efforts to find just the right gift before Christmas. Among them, Emil Västerström moved purposefully towards his goal.

His bandmates might have wondered at his going all the way to Copenhagen when Malmö offered so many shops of its own, but all those shops had failed him thus far. He was determined that he would succeed in the end, though, even if he had to go to London or Berlin!

The flophouse they were all rooming in had been almost empty when Emil found Lalli sneaking a listen on the big Victrola in the lobby.

“What’s that you’re listening to, Lalli?” The thin Finn was mostly blocking the phonograph’s speaker with his head, as their landlord had threatened the band more than once about keeping the volume down when they were in.

Lalli’s eyes were glowing when he replied, simply, “Bing.”

Ever since that moment, Emil had been working towards his goal: accumulate each and every one of Bing Crosby’s singles from this year into an album for Lalli, and now, only one remained for him to acquire: “Pennies from Heaven”, the single most sought after Bing single of 1936.

Malmö had failed him, but Copenhagen held out more hope; a friend of a friend of a friend of Sigrun’s had yielded up the name of a small, obscure little record store where you could find just about anything--for the right price. Emil was determined to get that single, even if it cost his last öre.

The crowds were almost impenetrable; it took so long to get anywhere that Emil began to worry that he’d miss his ferry, but once he turned down the alleyway that supposedly led to the store, the crowds melted away.

The store smelled more like a bookstore should than the record store it supposedly was, but that didn’t faze Emil. He searched tirelessly through the stacks of records for an eternity or two, until a soft cough at his elbow interrupted him.

“If you please, sir, we will be closing shortly. Is there anything I might help you find?” The speaker was a small, elderly man, either a senior clerk or possibly the shopkeeper himself.

Even after all these months of listening to Mikkel, Emil still heard far too much static whenever he heard Danish. Yet, he understood what the storekeeper was telling him well enough.

“I’m looking for the Bing Crosby single, ‘Pennies from Heaven’, if you would be so kind.” Emil tried to keep his impatience and growing desperation from his voice. After all, the man was simply doing his job.

“A Christmas gift, I see? And perhaps, to complete a set?” The old man nodded perspicaciously.

Emil essayed a sheepish smile. “You see quite well, sir. Does this mean you have a copy?”

“Oh, yes, young man. We have a copy over behind the counter, in fact.” They proceeded thither in silence. The old man reached below and pulled out a cardboard sleeve. “Yes, this is it, but I’m afraid it’s quite dear. So dear, in fact, that once they hear the price, none would buy it.”

Emil’s eyebrows rose. “How much?”

The old man quoted a figure that was just before exhausting Emil’s last öre. Emil swallowed hard, remembering the album with one empty sleeve hidden beneath his bed, and the glow in Lalli’s eyes as the Finn crouched by the phonograph.

“Wrap it up for me,” Emil said, the words running together in his haste to get them out before he could reconsider.

“If I might make a suggestion, sir?” Emil nodded. “Play the B side first.”

Emil nodded blankly again, and left with his precious cargo.

Lalli had been most mysterious about their gift exchange, telling Tuuri to tell Emil that he should meet Lalli at their secret firebug spot an hour after dark. Of course, this left Emil with the problem of finding a portable phonograph that played 78s instead of gramophone cylinders that he could bring along, which made him rather late.

When Emil finally arrived, though, he almost dropped what he was carrying. A grinning Lalli stood before a whole array of fireworks of every size and description, and all ready to be shot off over the sea. That, and the expression on Lalli’s face when he looked through the album, made it all worth it.

With his usual uncanny instinct, Lalli pulled out the disc Emil had spent so much to acquire. When he made to put it on the phonograph, though, Emil remembered what the shopkeeper had said.

“Play the B side first, Lalli.” Lalli shrugged, handed Emil the lighter to set to the first fireworks, and deftly set the B side playing.

To the (rather ironic) sound of Bing singing “Silent Night”, the two boys set off the greatest Christmas fireworks display in the history of Malmö.

This part A/K/A “Christmas Fluff”.

Of course, the annoying thing is that I wrote this between Seilann’s post justly praising Yuuago’s latest (“Water and Eternity”) and the time I posted this, whereas it took weeks for me to churn out the latest bit of the Western. Grrrrr.

Róisín

« Reply #1241 on: December 21, 2015, 02:38:11 AM »
Yuuago, LooNEY: both of you are amazing, just very different styles. And please, neither of you ever stop writing!

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1242 on: December 21, 2015, 10:34:56 AM »
Uh, Yuuago, you're not helping me be less intimidated: your latest is too magnificent for that.

Oh, well.

So, here's this bit of fluff:
The Jylland Jump
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Jazz Age” crossover fanfic
Part 3
Prior part
Bing! Bing! Bing!

Downtown Copenhagen was even more bustling than usual today, last-minute shoppers rushing from store to store in more or less panicky efforts to find just the right gift before Christmas. Among them, Emil Västerström moved purposefully towards his goal.

His bandmates might have wondered at his going all the way to Copenhagen when Malmö offered so many shops of its own, but all those shops had failed him thus far. He was determined that he would succeed in the end, though, even if he had to go to London or Berlin!

The flophouse they were all rooming in had been almost empty when Emil found Lalli sneaking a listen on the big Victrola in the lobby.

“What’s that you’re listening to, Lalli?” The thin Finn was mostly blocking the phonograph’s speaker with his head, as their landlord had threatened the band more than once about keeping the volume down when they were in.

Lalli’s eyes were glowing when he replied, simply, “Bing.”

Ever since that moment, Emil had been working towards his goal: accumulate each and every one of Bing Crosby’s singles from this year into an album for Lalli, and now, only one remained for him to acquire: “Pennies from Heaven”, the single most sought after Bing single of 1936.

Malmö had failed him, but Copenhagen held out more hope; a friend of a friend of a friend of Sigrun’s had yielded up the name of a small, obscure little record store where you could find just about anything--for the right price. Emil was determined to get that single, even if it cost his last öre.

The crowds were almost impenetrable; it took so long to get anywhere that Emil began to worry that he’d miss his ferry, but once he turned down the alleyway that supposedly led to the store, the crowds melted away.

The store smelled more like a bookstore should than the record store it supposedly was, but that didn’t faze Emil. He searched tirelessly through the stacks of records for an eternity or two, until a soft cough at his elbow interrupted him.

“If you please, sir, we will be closing shortly. Is there anything I might help you find?” The speaker was a small, elderly man, either a senior clerk or possibly the shopkeeper himself.

Even after all these months of listening to Mikkel, Emil still heard far too much static whenever he heard Danish. Yet, he understood what the storekeeper was telling him well enough.

“I’m looking for the Bing Crosby single, ‘Pennies from Heaven’, if you would be so kind.” Emil tried to keep his impatience and growing desperation from his voice. After all, the man was simply doing his job.

“A Christmas gift, I see? And perhaps, to complete a set?” The old man nodded perspicaciously.

Emil essayed a sheepish smile. “You see quite well, sir. Does this mean you have a copy?”

“Oh, yes, young man. We have a copy over behind the counter, in fact.” They proceeded thither in silence. The old man reached below and pulled out a cardboard sleeve. “Yes, this is it, but I’m afraid it’s quite dear. So dear, in fact, that once they hear the price, none would buy it.”

Emil’s eyebrows rose. “How much?”

The old man quoted a figure that was just before exhausting Emil’s last öre. Emil swallowed hard, remembering the album with one empty sleeve hidden beneath his bed, and the glow in Lalli’s eyes as the Finn crouched by the phonograph.

“Wrap it up for me,” Emil said, the words running together in his haste to get them out before he could reconsider.

“If I might make a suggestion, sir?” Emil nodded. “Play the B side first.”

Emil nodded blankly again, and left with his precious cargo.

Lalli had been most mysterious about their gift exchange, telling Tuuri to tell Emil that he should meet Lalli at their secret firebug spot an hour after dark. Of course, this left Emil with the problem of finding a portable phonograph that played 78s instead of gramophone cylinders that he could bring along, which made him rather late.

When Emil finally arrived, though, he almost dropped what he was carrying. A grinning Lalli stood before a whole array of fireworks of every size and description, and all ready to be shot off over the sea. That, and the expression on Lalli’s face when he looked through the album, made it all worth it.

With his usual uncanny instinct, Lalli pulled out the disc Emil had spent so much to acquire. When he made to put it on the phonograph, though, Emil remembered what the shopkeeper had said.

“Play the B side first, Lalli.” Lalli shrugged, handed Emil the lighter to set to the first fireworks, and deftly set the B side playing.

To the (rather ironic) sound of Bing singing “Silent Night”, the two boys set off the greatest Christmas fireworks display in the history of Malmö.

This part A/K/A “Christmas Fluff”.

Of course, the annoying thing is that I wrote this between Seilann’s post justly praising Yuuago’s latest (“Water and Eternity”) and the time I posted this, whereas it took weeks for me to churn out the latest bit of the Western. Grrrrr.

Okay but seriously? Warm fuzzies to the extreme here!

LooNEY, I really enjoy your writing! Writer's block and feeling insecure about your own work are just part of the process, even for professional writers. Like, I've been writing fiction for thirteen years and I still hate the vast majority of what I churn out, even more so when I'm about to post it and get very nitpicky and keep doing just "one last little edit." Sometimes I hate what I'm writing before I even write it ( =writer's block). But we have to remind ourselves that here, no one is comparing. We're just happy to read whatever you're willing to share. <3

Puls3

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1243 on: December 23, 2015, 04:54:32 PM »
just 1 hour and 8 minutes before my personal deadline. I just hope that this story will end soon.

I just remembered that i didn't have a title for this thing, so lets call it....Panic? sounds good enough.
Quick note: The text in (cursive?) is supposed to represent inner monologue.
 Panic: Chapter 2
That scream, he would never forget that scream for as long as he lived. It was a sound of a dozen voices screaming in pain at once. Emil could do nothing but cover his ears in hopes that it would stop. He felt bony fingers burrow against his chest as Lalli pushed him away from the entrance and slammed the rotten door shut.
“RUUN!” he shouted in a desperate attempt to overvoice the deafening scream.
Emil didn’t need to understand what Lalli said, they both turned their backs away from the door and ran down the dark hallway where the rucksack full of books where located. Sigrun ran down the other side of the hallway for the staircase with a bunch of books under her left arm and a rifle tightly clutched on the other.
“What are you waiting for?! Grab the books and evacuate the building before the whole neighbourhood wakes up!” Emil grabbed the heavy rucksack and threw it behind his back before running for his dear life. 
As they ran down the staircase, towards the exit, Emil realised that the screaming abruptly stopped and the building became deadly silent. But other noises started to emerge in its absence, there where scratching noises behind the walls, tapping sounds from the floor above them moving quickly towards the staircase. They exited the building and rushed towards the cat-tank where Mikkel was standing with a broomstick in his hand, ready to fend of anything that would come his way with a face that was on high alert which instantly turned to pure fear when he saw what followed the search team. Emil noticed the fear on Mikkel’s and quickly turned his head in order to get a glimpse of what startled him. Was it the screamer of was it a giant? No, it was much worse than that, more dangerous than a giant could ever be. It was a swarm of trolls, pouring out of the building that they just evacuated from and there were more coming from the windows and cracks of other surrounding buildings, all attracted by the blood shilling scream that echoed through the streets of Copenhagen.
Their appearance was revolting; many were almost rotten to the core with little signs of ever being human like they were being taken straight from a nightmare. Instead of arms, some had scythe like limbs made of bone. Others had large jaws that seemed almost separated from the rest of the skull crawling at an incredible speed. But what were almost most disturbing that those corrupted creatures all had in common was their eyes; all sickly yellow that almost seemed to glow and was only made more visible with the dark clouds preventing any rays of sunlight from entering the realm of the infected.
The small crew ran as fast as they could despite the heavy load slowing them down, Emil started to hear them getting closer, the sound of claws scraping the ground and the screams of those who once lived started to get louder by the second. The calls for help to end the pain were all Emil started to hear by the time they started to enter the vehicle.
Mikkel was about to close the door when Emil was the last one to enter, but one of them managed to shove in its upper torso before the door was shut and was desperately trying to get in while flailing its scabby arms around to get hold of something to destroy.
Emil was in the corner next to the door, too shocked to move, his hands were shaking uncontrollably by the sudden rush of adrenaline that went through him. He only wished for the screams to stop and his wish came true, only to be replaced by a gunshot that rang through the tanks steel interior creating a high note that rang through his head continuously. He located the source of the painful sound at the business end of Sigrun's rifle, with a thin line of grey smoke escaping from the metallic pipe only to disappear in the air, something Emil felt like doing.
“Was that truly necessary?!” Mikkel shouted covering his ears while Sigrun was kicking off the red pulp that was once trying to get in.
“It was the fastest way; with that many heads, it would take too long to kill before its friends arri-“
Her sentence was cut short by a heavy slam on the side of the tank, following up with several bumps and scratching sounds of corrupt creatures impatiently wanting to break in and tear them all to pieces. The violent shaking of the tank caused Sigrun to stumble but managed to quickly regain her footing. Emil on the other hand wasn’t as lucky and fell sideways from the corner, the shock preventing him from regaining his balance while barely manage to cover his face with his hands as he hit the bloody steel surface. He looked up from his arm and it was chaos: Sigrun was loudly repeating to Mikkel her reasons for using a gun inside of a tank while Lalli was standing against the opposite corner from Emil, covering his ears with his eyes shut tight. He could hear the radar in the cockpit through the glass door that was dividing the tank, detecting numerous foreign objects within its proximity with several loud beeps. Reynir was standing with his back pressed against the wall hyperventilating by the horrific sight that was taking place through the windshield. Turri was facing them through the glass asking what the hell just happened with a panicked expression.
Emil could relate to Lalli in this situation, he also wanted to disappear into the abyss, forgetting everything that happened and pretending that it was all a dream. But alas, it was not. The cold floor and painful ringing in his head prevented him from having that luxury and all he could do was lay still, waiting for it all to end.

“SILENCE!” the inside of the tank obeyed that order which came from Mikkel who finally lost his patience. “Turri! take yourself and Reynir into the office and lock the door behind you, try to calm him down at the best of your abilities, do not come out unless I say so.” Turri did not want to object and gently escorted Reynir to the small office with tears streaming down his face “Reynir, it’s all going to be okay. Repeat after me: Inhale. count to four. Exhale.” A trick she learned from reading a first aid book they once obtained from one of their scavenging hunts. Reynir did his best to follow her instructions and started regain his normal breathing pattern, but the tears still flowed like an endless river down his cheeks.
“Emil! On your feet this instant!” Mikkel articulated with an authoritarian voice. Emil slowly got on his feet and did his best to not stumble over. Mikkel took one last sweep of the tank to see if something else needed to be corrected. “Now that everybody is calm, I think a quick getaway plan is in order, any suggestions Sigrun?” The captain was still baffled by the doctor’s sudden outburst but quickly regained her posture. “There are far too many of them for us to face. So I think we need to split up into two teams. Emil and Lalli will grab the deadlings attention and have them taken away as far away from the tank as possible, while I and Mikkel take down the remaining ones that happen to stay behind.” Emil didn’t believe what he just heard and managed to speak from his paralysed state. “Are you seriously saying that we should run out there and get ourselves killed?! Are you fu-“ Sigrun cut of Emil at mid-sentence. “It is our best and ONLY option” she said, looking Emil in the eyes. “Lalli knows the city better than any of us and you are the one who understands him best. I can’t leave and let Mikkel handle this all by himself and I’m not telling you to kill those troll as you are in no shape to fight ten of them a once. Using your flammable explosives will only put us at risk, by letting even more creatures know that we’re here and if that happens, we’re all as good as dead.” Emil was unable to speak “All I want you to do is run as fast as you can and loose them inside the city. Thirty minutes after the sun fall, I will shoot a flare and we will move about fifteen blocks west from the source as the blast and bright light is likely to attract some unwanted attention.”  It was silent and all that was heard was the constant electronic beeping from the radar. “Do you understand what you need to do?” Emil looked down, his right arm was smeared with blood from the floor, the shaking was starting to subdue. “Why did it all come to this?  Why?” He took a deep breath through the nostrils and looked up, eyes determined but behind them, it was trying to conceal complete panic. “I understand.” Mikkel nodded and told Turri to come out of the office to explain the plan to Lalli.
Time was on the essence. Emil and Lalli made themselves ready, they got some extra ammunition just in case and some purified water to keep them hydrated. Mikkel had his door on the handle and looked down on the two boys who were heading towards an unknown fate. “The moment I open up this door, all hell is going to break loose, are you ready for this?” Emil didn’t understand everything that was said but it didn’t really matter, all he could hear was the rapid heartbeat in his chest and the deep shaky breaths that he took to keep himself from fainting “Inhale. Count to four. Exhale.” An old trick he learned from boot camp, always worked during panicked situations. His heart slowed down as he took those deep breaths. He looked to his left and saw Lalli, expressionless as always with sky blue eyes that seemed more than ready. Emil then looked at Mikkel and nodded. “Good luck friends.” Felt more like a painful good bye than anything else.
And with that the doors was shoved open causing trolls in front of it to fall over. Lalli ran like the wind with Emil following his lead. Emil took his rifle and aimed for the sky. With a shaky finger he pulled the trigger, creating an explosive sound that echoed through the city of Copenhagen. A thousand hungry eyes were laid upon them.
“Why did it all come to this?”

Oh dear what a mess of a story this is. I really need to get into a writing club at some point in my life. I appreciate any form of criticism you may have, constructive or destructive is up to you. Goodnight and a marry Christmas to all of you.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:22:44 PM by Puls3 »
Have a more extensive vocabulary in :england: than :sweden: (which is scary considering that I'm born and raised here)
Can only pronounce a few sentences of :spain:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1244 on: December 23, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »
just 1 hour and 8 minutes before my personal deadline. I just hope that this story will end soon.

I just remembered that i didn't have a title for this thing, so lets call it....Panic? sounds good enough.
Quick note: The text in (cursive?) is supposed to represent inner monologue.
 Panic: Chapter 2
That scream, he would never forget that scream for as long as he lived. It was a sound of a dozen voices screaming in pain at once. Emil could do nothing but cover his ears in hopes that it would stop. He felt bony fingers burrow against his chest as Lalli pushed him away from the entrance and slammed the rotten door shut.
“RUUN!” he shouted in a desperate attempt to overvoice the deafening scream.
Emil didn’t need to understand what Lalli said, they both turned their backs away from the door and ran down the dark hallway where the rucksack full of books where located. Sigrun ran down the other side of the hallway for the staircase with a bunch of books under her left arm and a rifle tightly clutched on the other.
“What are you waiting for?! Grab the books and evacuate the building before the whole neighbourhood wakes up!” Emil grabbed the heavy rucksack and threw it behind his back before running for his dear life. 
As they ran down the staircase, towards the exit, Emil realised that the screaming abruptly stopped and the building became deadly silent. But other noises started to emerge in its absence, there where scratching noises behind the walls, tapping sounds from the floor above them moving quickly towards the staircase. They exited the building and rushed towards the cat-tank where Mikkel was standing with a broomstick in his hand, ready to fend of anything that would come his way with a face that was on high alert which instantly turned to pure fear when he saw what followed the search team. Emil noticed the fear on Mikkel’s and quickly turned his head in order to get a glimpse of what startled him. Was it the screamer of was it a giant? No, it was much worse than that, more dangerous than a giant could ever be. It was a swarm of trolls, pouring out of the building that they just evacuated from and there were more coming from the windows and cracks of other surrounding buildings, all attracted by the blood shilling scream that echoed through the streets of Copenhagen.
Their appearance was revolting; many were almost rotten to the core with little signs of ever being human like they were being taken straight from a nightmare. Instead of arms, some had scythe like limbs made of bone. Others had large jaws that seemed almost separated from the rest of the skull crawling at an incredible speed. But what were almost most disturbing that those corrupted creatures all had in common was their eyes; all sickly yellow that almost seemed to glow and was only made more visible with the dark clouds preventing any rays of sunlight from entering the realm of the infected.
The small crew ran as fast as they could despite the heavy load slowing them down, Emil started to hear them getting closer, the sound of claws scraping the ground and the screams of those who once lived started to get louder by the second. The calls for help to end the pain were all Emil started to hear by the time they started to enter the vehicle.
Mikkel was about to close the door when Emil was the last one to enter, but one of them managed to shove in its upper torso before the door was shut and was desperately trying to get in while flailing its scabby arms around to get hold of something to destroy.
Emil was in the corner next to the door, too shocked to move, his hands were shaking uncontrollably by the sudden rush of adrenaline that went through him. He only wished for the screams to stop and his wish came true, only to be replaced by a gunshot that rang through the tanks steel interior creating a high note that rang through his head continuously. He located the source of the painful sound at the business end of Sigrun's rifle, with a thin line of grey smoke escaping from the metallic pipe only to disappear in the air, something Emil felt like doing.
“Was that truly necessary?!” Mikkel shouted covering his ears while Sigrun was kicking off the red pulp that was once trying to get in.
“It was the fastest way; with that many heads, it would take too long to kill before its friends arri-“
Her sentence was cut short by a heavy slam on the side of the tank, following up with several bumps and scratching sounds of corrupt creatures impatiently wanting to break in and tear them all to pieces. The violent shaking of the tank caused Sigrun to stumble but managed to quickly regain her footing. Emil on the other hand wasn’t as lucky and fell sideways from the corner, the shock preventing him from regaining his balance while barely manage to cover his face with his hands as he hit the bloody steel surface. He looked up from his arm and it was chaos: Sigrun was loudly repeating to Mikkel her reasons for using a gun inside of a tank while Lalli was standing against the opposite corner from Emil, covering his ears with his eyes shut tight. He could hear the radar in the cockpit through the glass door that was dividing the tank, detecting numerous foreign objects within its proximity with several loud beeps. Reynir was standing with his back pressed against the wall hyperventilating by the horrific sight that was taking place through the windshield. Turri was facing them through the glass asking what the hell just happened with a panicked expression.
Emil could relate to Lalli in this situation, he also wanted to disappear into the abyss, forgetting everything that happened and pretending that it was all a dream. But alas, it was not. The cold floor and painful ringing in his head prevented him from having that luxury and all he could do was lay still, waiting for it all to end.

“SILENCE!” the inside of the tank obeyed that order which came from Mikkel who finally lost his patience. “Turri! take yourself and Reynir into the office and lock the door behind you, try to calm him down at the best of your abilities, do not come out unless I say so.” Turri did not want to object and gently escorted Reynir to the small office with tears streaming down his face “Reynir, it’s all going to be okay. Repeat after me: Inhale. count to four. Exhale.” A trick she learned from reading a first aid book they once obtained from one of their scavenging hunts. Reynir did his best to follow her instructions and started regain his normal breathing pattern, but the tears still flowed like an endless river down his cheeks.
“Emil! On your feet this instant!” Mikkel articulated with an authoritarian voice. Emil slowly got on his feet and did his best to not stumble over. Mikkel took one last sweep of the tank to see if something else needed to be corrected. “Now that everybody is calm, I think a quick getaway plan is in order, any suggestions Sigrun?” The captain was still baffled by the doctor’s sudden outburst but quickly regained her posture. “There are far too many of them for us to face. So I think we need to split up into two teams. Emil and Lalli will grab the deadlings attention and have them taken away as far away from the tank as possible, while I and Mikkel take down the remaining ones that happen to stay behind.” Emil didn’t believe what he just heard and managed to speak from his paralysed state. “Are you seriously saying that we should run out there and get ourselves killed?! Are you fu-“ Sigrun cut of Emil at mid-sentence. “It is our best and ONLY option” she said, looking Emil in the eyes. “Lalli knows the city better than any of us and you are the one who understands him best. I can’t leave and let Mikkel handle this all by himself and I’m not telling you to kill those troll as you are in no shape to fight ten of them a once. Using your flammable explosives will only put us at risk, by letting even more creatures know that we’re here and if that happens, we’re all as good as dead.” Emil was unable to speak “All I want you to do is run as fast as you can and loose them inside the city. Thirty minutes after the sun fall, I will shoot a flare and we will move about fifteen blocks west from the source as the blast and bright light is likely to attract some unwanted attention.”  It was silent and all that was heard was the constant electronic beeping from the radar. “Do you understand what you need to do?” Emil looked down, his right arm was smeared with blood from the floor, the shaking was starting to subdue. “Why did it all come to this?  Why?” He took a deep breath through the nostrils and looked up, eyes determined but behind them, it was trying to conceal complete panic. “I understand.” Mikkel nodded and told Turri to come out of the office to explain the plan to Lalli.
Time was on the essence. Emil and Lalli made themselves ready, they got some extra ammunition just in case and some purified water to keep them hydrated. Mikkel had his door on the handle and looked down on the two boys who were heading towards an unknown fate. “The moment I open up this door, all hell is going to break loose, are you ready for this?” Emil didn’t understand everything that was said but it didn’t really matter, all he could hear was the rapid heartbeat in his chest and the deep shaky breaths that he took to keep himself from fainting “Inhale. Count to four. Exhale.” An old trick he learned from boot camp, always worked during panicked situations. His heart slowed down as he took those deep breaths. He looked to his left and saw Lalli, expressionless as always with sky blue eyes that seemed more than ready. Emil then looked at Mikkel and nodded. “Good luck friends.” Felt more like a painful good bye than anything else.
And with that the doors was shoved open causing trolls in front of it to fall over. Lalli ran like the wind with Emil following his lead. Emil took his rifle and aimed for the sky. With a shaky finger he pulled the trigger, creating an explosive sound that echoed through the city of Copenhagen. A thousand hungry eyes were laid upon them.
“Why did it all come to this?”

Oh dear what a mess of a story this is. I really need to get into a writing club at some point in my life. I appreciate any form of criticism you may have, constructive or destructive is up to you. Goodnight and a marry Christmas to all of you.

Gah! You can't stop it there! ;_;

I really like your details of the trolls and in general. I get a really clear picture when I read your stuff. :) One technique you can use for stronger suspense (though you've got it down pretty good already): short, crisp sentences. This really speeds up the action for the reader, so lots of things can happen at once without confusion. On the other hand, longer sentences create a more relaxed feeling, because they take longer for the reader to process.