Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787143 times)

Aliax

Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1200 on: December 15, 2015, 07:56:20 AM »
Aliax: Just read this on AO3 - it's good! Keep on writing!
Thank you :) ! And actually, these two (Emil and Lalli) made me start writing *again*. This fic is pretty bad compared to what I used to be able to write :( But at least I'm writing again, which feels so incredibly good  :))  Emil and Lalli's absolutely adorable canon friendship seems to be exactly what the healer ordered :P

May I say "Awww... <3" ? And add I perfectly agree with Róisín ?
Yes, "Awww... <3" was pretty much exactly what I was looking for :D And thank you!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1201 on: December 15, 2015, 07:59:55 AM »
This fic is pretty bad compared to what I used to be able to write :(
*Coughs* EXCUSE ME ? You're writing in English, with this quality, and it's "pretty bad" ? Tsss...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

AquaAurion

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1202 on: December 15, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »
Emil and Lalli weren't happy that I dared make my intro post before I was done writing the multi-chapter fic about them I've been working on. So they made me write this instead this night:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5431757
Conflicted
Rating: General Audiences
Warnings: None
Relationships: Lalli Hotakainen & Emil Västerström
Characters: Emil-centric, lots of Lalli, quite a bit of Tuuri, meaningful appearances of everyone else except Purrito
Tags: Angst, Friendship, Gen or Pre-Slash as you want
Summary: Everyone reasonable knows that magic doesn't exist. So when Lalli insists that the reason he's so sick is based in magic, Emil's concern for his friend conflicts with his anger at Lalli's obvious lie.
Aw so sweet <3

I also started writing again because of those two ^w^

Eagerly waiting since November 2014:  :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02:
(✿σ‿σ) ~<3

Aliax

« Reply #1203 on: December 15, 2015, 01:06:17 PM »
*Coughs* EXCUSE ME ? You're writing in English, with this quality, and it's "pretty bad" ? Tsss...
Well... It used to be better? Like, for example, I realised halfway through (thanks to the Chapter 10 title page which Minna posted while I was writing) that I had completely forgotten about Emil's leg injury. 3 years ago, it would have been no big deal at all to go back and insert little mentions of it here and there. This time, it seemed like such a huge edit that it made me want to throw the whole thing away :/ And I won't get into how my vocabulary is so much poorer than it used to be, or how my grammar keeps getting wonkier all the time   :-[ ... Of course it would help if I didn't have such a perfectionist streak, too, I agree  ::)

Aw so sweet <3
Yay ^-^

I also started writing again because of those two ^w^
There IS something magical about them, isn't there  :) !?

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1204 on: December 15, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »
Well... It used to be better? Like, for example, I realised halfway through (thanks to the Chapter 10 title page which Minna posted while I was writing) that I had completely forgotten about Emil's leg injury. 3 years ago, it would have been no big deal at all to go back and insert little mentions of it here and there.
/butts in

To be fair, with an ongoing canon like this, where details can be rendered non-compliant the next day, small things like that aren't such a big deal, really. People understand, I think. (Plus, I would say that particular detail didn't make too much impact - I mean, he sure took a whack, but he seemed to be mooostly okay... You have wiggle room there.)

BUT I can totally understand how perfectionist tendencies can make you want to toss it all in the recycle bin. I might be the same way. ;p
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Aliax

« Reply #1205 on: December 15, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »
To be fair, with an ongoing canon like this, where details can be rendered non-compliant the next day, small things like that aren't such a big deal, really.
I know, right!? But see, my Perfectionist Demon says that it doesn't matter if the fic I write today gets Jossed tomorrow, but it does matter very, very, Very Much that the fic I write today be perfectly in accordance with all the canon we have up to today :P

Plus, I would say that particular detail didn't make too much impact - I mean, he sure took a whack, but he seemed to be mooostly okay...
But, but, but! There should be mentions that it hurts when he kneels down, or that he's got a limp, or something, you know D: !? Just a few mentions... here and there...

:-X <= me to that darn Perfectionist Demon

BUT I can totally understand how perfectionist tendencies can make you want to toss it all in the recycle bin. I might be the same way. ;p
Perfectionists, unite - against Perfectionism  ;D ! I've read of artists who deliberately introduce small flaws in their works in order to prevent the Perfectionism Demon from keeping them forever stalled, for example.

Puls3

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1206 on: December 15, 2015, 05:03:22 PM »
This fic is pretty bad

*looks at his own abomination of a literary work*

I can't even begin to imagine how your previous works looks like if you call this wonderful piece of art "bad".

Have a more extensive vocabulary in :england: than :sweden: (which is scary considering that I'm born and raised here)
Can only pronounce a few sentences of :spain:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1207 on: December 15, 2015, 05:28:01 PM »
Aliax: I completely sympathise about the language thing! I used to travel widely, and had 'enough to get by' of maybe a dozen languages, and was fluent in four. But for most of the last thirty years I have been based in country South Australia, where Australian English is the default language, and few people speak anything else. And my languages are rusting. The other day I went to write a poem for my Gaelic-speaking aunt and realised that I had lost a lot of grammar and vocabulary, and when my musician daughter who travels a lot in France with her orchestra wrote me a letter in French I found I'd forgotten a few of the words and had to look them up. At least a few of the local kids speak French, and talk to me!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Aliax

« Reply #1208 on: December 15, 2015, 05:53:32 PM »
*looks at his own abomination of a literary work*
That's not fair, though :P You can't compare a piece which took hours and was obsessively edited to something that "was all written within an hour and has not been checked for grammatical errors, it's as raw and incoherent as it gets."

Edit: and actually, your fic is MUCH better than anything *I* could produce under such circumstances O.o

I can't even begin to imagine how your previous works looks like if you call this wonderful piece of art "bad".
No, wait, I'm not calling that fic I posted "bad"! If I thought it was bad, you couldn't pay me enough to post it in the first place :D I'm just saying that I'm horribly rusty, and I used to do much better, that's all. You know how the saying goes: "Better is the enemy of good", or something like that  ;D

Exactly, Róisín! Now that I'm back to living in France among French people only, my English skills are simply nowhere as good as when I used to live in a foreign country with someone I talked to only in English, and I watched only English-speaking channels on TV, and so on :P Maybe I should start taking those English lessons they offer at my job, just to get some active practice... And I should definitely  write MOAR fics - for the practice, yup ;D

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1209 on: December 15, 2015, 06:19:35 PM »
But, but, but! There should be mentions that it hurts when he kneels down, or that he's got a limp, or something, you know D: !? Just a few mentions... here and there...
eyyyy it's all good
I definitely just figured that it had about the effect of a kick in the shins and he was just overdramatising. Maybe a bruise for a few days, but meh.

The fic's lovely, btw.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Aliax

« Reply #1210 on: December 15, 2015, 07:12:04 PM »
I definitely just figured that it had about the effect of a kick in the shins and he was just overdramatising. Maybe a bruise for a few days, but meh.
Hmm, I don't know about that, really. He did take an iron bar in full swing, used by someone who is canonically rather strong, straight into the shin. Even Mikkel didn't seem quite sure that this wasn't enough to break a leg. I'm guessing that with a bit of luck, the hit was cushioned by the boot, but even then, it would definitely leave a bruise.

But! The good side of it is that we know that whatever ointment Mikkel is using on bruises is pretty effective ;D That was a large and nasty-looking bruise Emil had on his face, and yet it was fully gone the next day. So if all he got from Mikkel's hit was a bruise, it's possible it was fully healed by the time my fic takes place, yes :)

The fic's lovely, btw.
Thank you  :D !!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1211 on: December 15, 2015, 09:04:42 PM »
I sat down at 7pm, determined that I'd get my modern AU finished or die trying. It's now 2am and although I'm not dead I get the feeling I'm not far off  :))

The last chapter:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5353481/chapters/12563006

I really really hope you like it, it's certainly been quite an experience to write.
(special thanks to Laufey who gave me a lot of help with ideas that ended up getting cut completely. Sorry about that!)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

|Yucca|

« Reply #1212 on: December 15, 2015, 09:52:22 PM »
Great work Secto! I don't have much to comment other than the fact I really like how it turned out.
I barely survived:
:chap5:  :book2:  :book3:  :book4:
:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #1213 on: December 15, 2015, 09:55:28 PM »
I sat down at 7pm, determined that I'd get my modern AU finished or die trying. It's now 2am and although I'm not dead I get the feeling I'm not far off  :))

The last chapter:

I really really hope you like it, it's certainly been quite an experience to write.
(special thanks to Laufey who gave me a lot of help with ideas that ended up getting cut completely. Sorry about that!)

I was wondering how on earth you were going to wrap all that up in just one more chapter. I'm not wondering anymore.

You know that feeling when something is just so good that when it's over you're suddenly empty and breathless, slamming back into a physical universe and need to just sit there and digest reality for a while?
Yeah?
That feeling.
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #1214 on: December 15, 2015, 10:40:11 PM »

The last chapter:

Sectoboss, that was so beautiful! Such an amazing ending for such an amazing fanfic. I may or may not've been on the edge of tears through half of that haha

You know that feeling when something is just so good that when it's over you're suddenly empty and breathless, slamming back into a physical universe and need to just sit there and digest reality for a while?
Yeah?
That feeling.
I agree with this on every level.
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05: