Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787184 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1155 on: December 06, 2015, 07:26:48 AM »
SectoBoss: Eh, happens to all of us! Look forward to when it arrives.

Also, this new tale is downright intriguing! Lots of ways the story could go!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1156 on: December 06, 2015, 07:34:06 AM »
SectoBoss: Eh, happens to all of us! Look forward to when it arrives.
Speaking of which, can we look forward to a new installment of 'A Few of Mikkel's Secrets' anytime soon?
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

« Reply #1157 on: December 06, 2015, 05:35:56 PM »
Have had the rest of it written for months. It's long. And long story short, the problem seems to be in the iPad uploading it. Last time one of the technically competent family passed through, he didn't have time to work on the machine for me.

At present I'm away from home (did my usual Saturday market, then the town Christmas street fair; then on Sunday I was the guide for a tour of a rare plants collection at a garden way down south near the sea).
Which was fascinating but a couple of days of very hard work. So this morning I'm still down in the Adelaide suburbs, where we have stayed the night with a friend, ahead of my going into the hospital for a morning of unpleasant medical stuff. And after THAT we are going home. Which will be interesting in itself, because there was a windstorm overnight (alas, no rain) and there are trees down all over.

Anyway, once I get home I will have about a day and a half in which the only thing I have to do is keep the garden from drying out and dying, and will have a bit of time to work on my own stuff. I plan first to finish off and post my pieces for the Advent Calendar and the Secret Santa, which are written but still need to be gone over for spelling and grammar, then the next installment for Crossroads, where I am presently retelling an Irish folktale. Once those are up, I intend to try posting the last two chapters of 'A Few of Mikkel's Secrets' by the same method I'm using for the Crossroads stuff - that is, retyping it into the site. Problems: it can just randomly disappear when I'm a few thousand words in, which has happened before and is most annoying, also it takes forever. Advantages: I can do last-minute corrections as I type it in, and I don't have to worry about waiting until someone is here who can make 'Pages' cooperate!

One way or another I am determined to get it up before midsummer. Then I'm going to write something less grim.

By the way, I love how your story is working out, and look forward to seeing the rest of it.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1158 on: December 06, 2015, 06:00:38 PM »
Have had the rest of it written for months. It's long. And long story short, the problem seems to be in the iPad uploading it. Last time one of the technically competent family passed through, he didn't have time to work on the machine for me.

<snip>

...I intend to try posting the last two chapters of 'A Few of Mikkel's Secrets' by the same method I'm using for the Crossroads stuff - retyping it into the site. Problems: it can just randomly disappear when I'm a few thousand words in, which has happened before and is most annoying, also it takes forever. Advantages: I can do last-minute corrections as I type it in, and I don't have to worry about waiting until someone is here who can make 'Pages' cooperate!

Hi, Róisín.  I sympathize with your frustration with content sometimes just randomly disappearing when you're trying to post to the Forum.  Have you tried copying and pasting the material, rather than just hand-typing it?

The other thing that works for me on Forum posts is hitting "Preview" every couple of minutes.  It's not as good as an actual "Save as Draft" button (oh, how I wish we had one!).  But it does seem to save the material in a kind of buffer, so that at most you'd lose whatever you added since the last time you hit "Preview."

Good luck!  I enjoy all your writing and I'm particularly enjoying the story you're telling on Crossroads.  I think my character could have used some of the heart's-ease flower herself, not just magical Instant Detox...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #1159 on: December 06, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
Hi, so, super-super newbie here and I'm concerned that I'm not even writing this in the right place, but how would one go about joining this...this posting, writing thingie? Just a little confused by the layout of the website and by life as a fact in general, so if anyone could let me know how to conduct myself around here, I would really appreciate the attempt to help me not embarrass myself. Thanks in advance
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #1160 on: December 06, 2015, 07:36:22 PM »
Hi, so, super-super newbie here and I'm concerned that I'm not even writing this in the right place, but how would one go about joining this...this posting, writing thingie? Just a little confused by the layout of the website and by life as a fact in general, so if anyone could let me know how to conduct myself around here, I would really appreciate the attempt to help me not embarrass myself. Thanks in advance

Well, the Introduction Thread is probably a good place to start. I'm assuming you're talking about the forum in general, so from there you can browse around and see what topics interest you. If you have any questions, we've got some great skalds, mods, and admins that can help. :) Welcome!
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

OwlsG0

« Reply #1161 on: December 06, 2015, 09:36:31 PM »
Thanks so much for the welcome. Always nerve racking to leap into a new forum, but I will use the link you've given me to try to figure out what do to. Thanks again.
I saw the future.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #1162 on: December 06, 2015, 09:38:29 PM »
Thanks so much for the welcome. Always nerve racking to leap into a new forum, but I will use the link you've given me to try to figure out what do to. Thanks again.

No problem! Happy to help!
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

LordoftheThings

• Tumblr
  • what's a "forum"? can I eat it?
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #1163 on: December 06, 2015, 10:05:18 PM »
I want to finish writing the next chapter of Hypothermia but oh my god my heeeeaaaaaad
I was cleaning and the fumes have given me a royal headache so no writing for me right now.
But it looks like the scriptorium is picking up again so I can always read everyone's lovely fics while waiting for the painkillers to kick in ;w;
Native: :usa:
Know a Little: :france:
Need to work on learning: :iceland:
I have the rosetta stone why Don't I know this: :netherlands:

Over the Hills and Faraway
For ten long years he'll count the days
Over the mountains, and the seas
A prisoners life for him there'll be

Róisín

« Reply #1164 on: December 06, 2015, 11:49:49 PM »
Sunflower: I've tried copy-and-paste and can't reliably make it work, but will keep plugging away! Remember way back when I joined I told you I wasn't good at this? Not much improved, I'm afraid, both because it's alien tech and because machineries tend to fritz around me. And I'm so glad you like the story. I'll likely finish it tonight, and was thinking after that to tell a Victorian Aboriginal story, (for the Mimi and the three Niols who are currently haunting the fireplace). Do you think that would work.

OwlsG0: these people are helpful, lovely, and very patient with my technical ineptitude. I'm sure you can't be worse! Go for it, we can always use another writer in the forums. There are useful notes at the start of each thread, and also details for who to contact if you have problems.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1165 on: December 07, 2015, 12:48:24 AM »

Well, the Introduction Thread is probably a good place to start. I'm assuming you're talking about the forum in general, so from there you can browse around and see what topics interest you. If you have any questions, we've got some great skalds, mods, and admins that can help. :) Welcome!

*bamf* Did someone say "admin"?  I am one! 

Welcome to the Forum, OwlsG0!  I'm glad you were brave enough to raise your hand and ask for directions -- the Forum is growing every day, and I imagine it could be a bit bewildering to people who are new to it.  We do our best to be a welcoming place, though, so never hesitate to ask how something works or where to find something.

Keeper gave you good advice about starting with the Introduction Thread.  You'll see that new members generally say a little about their background, their interests, and how they found SSSS in the first place.

After that, if you're interested in fan-writing, you can just plain post a story here.  For ease of reading, we ask that you put anything longer than a screen's worth of text under a spoiler, or host it on one of many creative sites such as AO3 (Archive of Our Own), which you'll see many members use, Tumblr, or cloud storage sites such as Dropbox or Google Docs. 

Fan poetry that's not a filk (play on existing song lyric or poem) (and some that is) is here: 
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=4.0
Fan-filks are here:  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=477.msg81138#new
"Headcanon", i.e. your own ideas about what the characters are like:  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=509.0
One of the many humor threads: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=451.0
Short humorous scenes:  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=64.325
The Help File, including many helpful links and tips:  https://ssssforum.com/index.php?action=help

If there's anything else you'd like to know about, feel free to PM me or any of the other admins/mods/skalds.  Meanwhile, happy browsing -- and hopefully, happy posting!

- Sunflower

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OwlsG0

« Reply #1166 on: December 07, 2015, 03:14:42 AM »
Thanks for all your help, Admin. I'm no good with technology or forums. I can type something on this keyboard and that's about it. The task of finding my way around this labyrinth of cool people- well, let's just say I would have lain down and died somewhere around the poetry thread.
It's also kind of shocking to me to see how nice and welcoming people are here. I'm used to a more lukewarm welcome, so this is encouraging and refreshing.
I saw the future.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1167 on: December 07, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »
Chapter 4 of my modern-day AU is now up and running! We finally get to see what's going on with Lalli, and how Emil helps him along:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5353481/chapters/12418304

Hope you like it!
Fair warning, vaguely shippy. And I do mean vaguely.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #1168 on: December 07, 2015, 05:42:15 PM »
Chapter 4 of my modern-day AU is now up and running! We finally get to see what's going on with Lalli, and how Emil helps him along:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5353481/chapters/12418304

Hope you like it!
Fair warning, vaguely shippy. And I do mean vaguely.
Yay, new chapter! I don't think I've said so yet, but I really love this fic so far! You are always so good at realistically writing the characters. I normally don't even like to read AUs but yours are just so good. :D
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #1169 on: December 07, 2015, 06:23:49 PM »
Sectoboss: I just finished reading the 20s AU, and it's spectacular! It actually kept me on the edge of my seat for the last part, and I'm so glad that you plan on writing more!
About the Modern AU: somehow it was able to make me emotional...
Spoiler: show
Are you planning to keep the nightmares as only nightmares, or are there more than one universe involved?
Also, the R. Árnason part is hilarious. :'D
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."