Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780232 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1065 on: October 28, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »
I've read most of them, and like them well. Finely done!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1066 on: October 30, 2015, 11:21:28 PM »
Just another very short one-shot here.

The Gift
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Spoiler: show

“Saku?” The soft voice came to him as he stoked the fires ever higher. “Honey, what are you doing?”

“I’m making something for our daughter,” he replied simply. His lack of a complaint, like ‘I’ll probably die of the heat, but oh well’, seemed to startle her more than what he’d actually said.

“Something for the baby?” she asked at last. “What?”

“Something to protect her, wherever she may be, and whatever her age.” He held up a basic but well-formed rifle stock.

Emil glanced over at Tuuri, who was staring after the shrinking figure of her cousin through the windshield. “That’s a pretty old rifle Lalli carries,” Emil said, trying to take both their minds off of Lalli’s potential peril...

Their new forge was crude and ungainly, but it would serve its purpose. The hammer rang against the metal in an age-old melody, and he found himself answering in a song of his own, the tune seeming to speed his hands in their work.

“New-born rifle,
I beseech you,
Ever straight and true to fire...”

“It was our grandmother’s rifle, first forged after the Great Illness.” Tuuri looked thoughtful. “From all I’ve heard, the survivors were still picking their way through the dark back then in their efforts to revive the Old Arts, so the rifle shouldn’t be very good, but somehow, Lalli never misses.”

“Thus and so I must enjoin thee,
Ward your wielder well and truly,
Kindly keep my kin a-quickened,
Tear the tangling toils of Tuoni...”

Bang! Another troll went down, shot right through the brain-pan. Lalli released the breath he’d been holding...

“Guide their hands and clear their vision,
Grant them ere a word of warning...”

The warning came to Lalli as though a half-familiar voice had whispered in his ear, “Behind you!” Not questioning that oft-felt hunch, Lalli spun, just in time to down another vermin Beast.

“So I charge thee
As I forge thee:
Help the House of Hotakainen.”

Saku laid the hammer aside. This work was done, and, with any luck, done well enough to serve its intended purpose.

Once he had carefully placed the now-completed rifle to one side, he reached for another piece of metal. One down, at least five more remaining.

Spoiler: Authorial Notes • show

The thought came to me--what if Grandmother Hotakainen’s rifle wasn’t simply a keepsake?

As always, a story came out of the question.

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #1067 on: October 31, 2015, 12:58:44 AM »
Just another very short one-shot here.

The Gift
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic

“Saku?” The soft voice came to him as he stoked the fires ever higher. “Honey, what are you doing?”

“I’m making something for our daughter,” he replied simply. His lack of a complaint, like ‘I’ll probably die of the heat, but oh well’, seemed to startle her more than what he’d actually said.

“Something for the baby?” she asked at last. “What?”

“Something to protect her, wherever she may be, and whatever her age.” He held up a basic but well-formed rifle stock.

Emil glanced over at Tuuri, who was staring after the shrinking figure of her cousin through the windshield. “That’s a pretty old rifle Lalli carries,” Emil said, trying to take both their minds off of Lalli’s potential peril...

Their new forge was crude and ungainly, but it would serve its purpose. The hammer rang against the metal in an age-old melody, and he found himself answering in a song of his own, the tune seeming to speed his hands in their work.

“New-born rifle,
I beseech you,
Ever straight and true to fire...”

“It was our grandmother’s rifle, first forged after the Great Illness.” Tuuri looked thoughtful. “From all I’ve heard, the survivors were still picking their way through the dark back then in their efforts to revive the Old Arts, so the rifle shouldn’t be very good, but somehow, Lalli never misses.”

“Thus and so I must enjoin thee,
Ward your wielder well and truly,
Kindly keep my kin a-quickened,
Tear the tangling toils of Tuoni...”

Bang! Another troll went down, shot right through the brain-pan. Lalli released the breath he’d been holding...

“Guide their hands and clear their vision,
Grant them ere a word of warning...”

The warning came to Lalli as though a half-familiar voice had whispered in his ear, “Behind you!” Not questioning that oft-felt hunch, Lalli spun, just in time to down another vermin Beast.

“So I charge thee
As I forge thee:
Help the House of Hotakainen.”

Saku laid the hammer aside. This work was done, and, with any luck, done well enough to serve its intended purpose.

Once he had carefully placed the now-completed rifle to one side, he reached for another piece of metal. One down, at least five more remaining.

The thought came to me--what if Grandmother Hotakainen’s rifle wasn’t simply a keepsake?

As always, a story came out of the question.

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHH YES YES YES
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Róisín

« Reply #1068 on: October 31, 2015, 03:27:00 AM »
LooNEY, that's very well thought of, and the spell is cleverly crafted. You continue to surprise and delight me with your vignettes. I can just imagine the scene as you depict it.

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #1069 on: November 01, 2015, 05:28:50 AM »
Hey everyone! Does everyone remember that random fanfic I made like eight months ago? No?

Well I rewrote my first chapter for you guys! Please read it, guys. I really appreciate it.

I added like two thousand words to my original draft somehow.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1070 on: November 01, 2015, 04:45:20 PM »
Hey everyone! Does everyone remember that random fanfic I made like eight months ago? No?

Well I rewrote my first chapter for you guys! Please read it, guys. I really appreciate it.

I added like two thousand words to my original draft somehow.
It's an interesting beginning which raises many more questions than it answers. Hopefully, forthcoming chapters will provide the answers.

Róisín

« Reply #1071 on: November 01, 2015, 05:26:34 PM »
I am curious to see what happens! Is that terrible school uniform the one for your school?

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1072 on: November 01, 2015, 10:33:30 PM »
Happy 2 years of SSSS! This isn't exactly a celebration piece, but in honor of the birthday (and to play escapist to some IRL problems y'all would rather not hear about) I wrote an Emilalli fluff piece.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5128250/chapters/11799383

Sorry it's not the last chapter of Burning, I had to take a break from my own angst fest. :D
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Róisín

« Reply #1073 on: November 02, 2015, 12:06:17 AM »
A sweet little story. I hope the angst is over nothing irremediable?

shoop

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • sup homes
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1074 on: November 02, 2015, 05:31:17 AM »
Happy 2 years of SSSS! This isn't exactly a celebration piece, but in honor of the birthday (and to play escapist to some IRL problems y'all would rather not hear about) I wrote an Emilalli fluff piece.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5128250/chapters/11799383

Sorry it's not the last chapter of Burning, I had to take a break from my own angst fest. :D

aw, take your time with Burning! We are all....burning with anticipation. As it is im not complaining about this at all. the opposite. I'm drawing a scene from it Right Now

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1075 on: November 02, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »
I hope the angst is over nothing irremediable?

Well... I'm not making it easy for either Lalli or Emil at the moment, let's say that.

aw, take your time with Burning! We are all....burning with anticipation. As it is im not complaining about this at all. the opposite. I'm drawing a scene from it Right Now

First you get me with the pun, then you announce a drawing. A shoop drawing. Eeeeee! And I said this on the art thread but it came out so good!
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1076 on: November 08, 2015, 12:20:54 AM »
Late again...

The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic
Part 14
Explicated Implications

“Look,” the inexplicably ancient version of Tuuri that stood before them said, “I know you all either have or are about to have a few million questions all trying to get out at once, but none of us have a whole lot of time here, so if you’ll just let me say my piece--” She broke off abruptly.

Less than half a second later, Sigrun burst out with, “Look, how do we know this isn’t a trick?” The Elder Tuuri spoke the words along with her, so Sigrun (and the Elder Tuuri) snapped out, “Chrysanthemum! Sarsaparilla!” Then she paused, and remarked, “Thunderation!”

“I am Tuuri Face-Still-Like-Baby, and I walked among you many winters ago.” She certainly had their attention. “Now that that’s done, there’s a lot I need to tell you guys, but not much time left. I’ll get into that in a bit.

“Where we are, right here, is Malmö, a city in Sweden, and the year is 1936.” Before the others could voice their objections or astonishment, the Elder Tuuri raised her hand and continued, “Reynir told us what he Saw: a ‘cave we must enter’, with ‘past, present and future colliding and ricocheting like the balls on a billiard table’, and ‘us, and us, and us again, echoed down through the ages over and over’. This is how that all plays out--the different cave branches lead to different times and places, not all of which are as welcoming or peaceful as this one is. In fact, in most of them, you’ll be fighting the Man in the Black Hat and his henchmen. Enjoy the breaks when you get them, because you’re about to get a glimpse of Armageddon.”

The Elder Tuuri sighed. “I’d say more--reams more--but Taru, who thinks you’re the house band, the ‘Malmö Musikers’, is about to try to bustle you onstage. Don’t worry; you’ll be able to fake it well enough. Oh, and at least here, y'all are speaking the local lingo without realizing it.”

Sure enough, Taru bustled in, fretting, “Come on, snap it up, guys! Quit horsing around and get on stage! Everything’s ready for you!” She began efficiently herding them out the door.

As they left, the Elder Tuuri called out, “Guys! One more thing!” When they turned back to look at her, she grinned and told them, “As to how I got here--I flew! I took a beautiful silver aeroplane across the Atlantic, like Lindbergh!” She grinned a bit more, and finished, “That was it.”

Amazingly enough, the six of them actually performed creditably for the hour or so that they were onstage. When they went back to the cranny backstage for their first break, they found their counterparts waiting for them.

“Thanks, guys,” the other Sigrun told them, “but we’ll take it from here.” She and the rest of her bandmates were disheveled and strained-looking, but the Westerners forbore to ask what had kept them.

The Western Sigrun did, however, think to ask, “Is there a back way for us to sneak out of?”

“Some goons are watching it,” the other Sigrun said. “They’re waiting for us, in fact. You might need to shoot your way out, if it comes to it.”

The Western Sigrun pretended to think it over. “Go back onstage or blast our way back home--what do you guys think?”

All six Westerners chorused, “Blast ‘em,” even Doc Mikkel.

In the end, there wasn’t an actual fight. The goons were looking for six frightened musicians; when confronted with six frontier-hard gunslingers, they ran for their lives without a single shot being fired.

“Yellow dogs,” Sigrun spat derisively.

“City rats,” Emil pointed out. “Bully-boys used to roughing up folk who never held a gun in their lives.”

“Vultures,” Lalli agreed.

“Like the Arapaho, just more yellow,” Tuuri said.

“I don’t know,” Doc Mikkel mused. “If they come back with friends, they might not be so easily run off again.”

“I took care of that,” Reynir told them. “I knew what to tell ’em to keep ‘em from bothering our lookalikes back there. It was part of what I Saw.” He looked around again. “But we still oughta go now, or we’ll be too late.”

“The Man in the Black Hat?” Sigrun guessed.

“He’s already on the move, so we might be too late for somebody else already.” And with that, Reynir dropped back into the drains that had led them there...

Sorry this is so late. The next one will be sooner.

Róisín

« Reply #1077 on: November 08, 2015, 12:50:21 AM »
Oooh......puzzles within puzzles!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1078 on: November 09, 2015, 07:26:34 PM »
I can’t claim this turned out exactly how I’d planned, but oh well. I shall take it as a warning not to write on so little sleep next time!
I wrote a little story of a younger Reynir coming across a strange magical trinket for sale:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5180591

Hope you all like it!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #1079 on: November 09, 2015, 08:00:23 PM »
I can’t claim this turned out exactly how I’d planned, but oh well. I shall take it as a warning not to write on so little sleep next time!
I wrote a little story of a younger Reynir coming across a strange magical trinket for sale:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5180591

Hope you all like it!

This. Is. Awesome.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.