Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780063 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #1020 on: October 10, 2015, 02:59:27 AM »
Seilann, misea, Haiz and Róisín, I'm really glad you like it! (and like I say, stay tuned for part 2 soon...)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1021 on: October 10, 2015, 04:23:14 AM »
I’m starting a 1920s AU, set in Prohibition-era Chicago.
[...]
http://archiveofourown.org/works/4964401/chapters/11400241
hhhhhHHHHHHNNNNNNN N N N N N N N N   N   N   N   M      THIS IS AMAZING I MAY HAVE CRIED FROM ITS AMAZINGNESS <_<
*puts on "To Draw After Semester Ends" list* \o____o/
Spoiler: show
I really like the setup! XD (Your opening bit reminded me of the start of The Maltese Falcon with the establishing shot and the office window and stuff :3) And Lalli.....oh my...it's perfect SectoBoss ;-; the eyeroll made me actually cry. IT'S SO GOOD AGHGHHG
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1022 on: October 11, 2015, 11:24:31 AM »
* LooNEY_DAC drools over the 20's AU fic.

…Oh, I edited my Lalli-näkki fic.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1023 on: October 11, 2015, 01:53:50 PM »
Thank you, OrigamiOwl and LooNEY!

Oh, and what's this? Part 2 of the 1920s AU? Which will probably be 3 chapters or more at this rate? (Yeah, it's snowballing. Sue me.)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4964401/chapters/11434711

Hope you all like it!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
I write a bit on AO3

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #1024 on: October 11, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »
* LooNEY_DAC drools over the 20's AU fic.

YES GOOD

Oh, and what's this? Part 2 of the 1920s AU? Which will probably be 3 chapters or more at this rate? (Yeah, it's snowballing. Sue me.)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4964401/chapters/11434711

Hope you all like it!

SUCH A GOOD AU
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1025 on: October 11, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
Looney: your revision makes the story much clearer, and gives it weight and balance. I had been wondering what it could be that a creature such as a näkki could use to entrap Lalli, but yes, a threat to his team would do it, not to mention threats to his cousin and his friend. Good job!

SectoBoss: I do like the gritty realism of your twenties AU, and, as always, the way you write the interactions between the characters. Looking forward to the next chapter!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1026 on: October 12, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »
*tosses up link to part 4, dives right back into the real world*

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4918981/chapters/11455951
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1027 on: October 12, 2015, 04:59:40 PM »

Ah, I love it! Poor Lalli... And I really like the way you've charted Lalli's descent into the illness, it feels chillingly realistic!

I have some good news of my own: the 1920s AU I've been working on now has illustrations thanks to shoop! They're the same arts she's posted in the art museum, but slotted into the text where appropriate, and I think they work rather well.
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1028 on: October 12, 2015, 06:15:10 PM »

*Reads parts 2, 3 and 4*
Okay. So, Seilann, you just want to make me nearly cry before going to bed ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

« Reply #1029 on: October 12, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »
SectoBoss and Shoop: the illustrations fit really well; it's great!

Seilann: chilling tale so far. Does Emil propose diving for Lalli's not-dead body? Draining the lake?
Do you know about the old Northern European superstition concerning searching for things in water, especially things of a magical nature or things affected by magic? There was a proper procedure when doing so, whether you were looking for the wizard's scrying-stone dropped in the well, or a person who had been enchanted. It had to be done in the dark, which was less of a problem in tales like the old Cornish one 'The Maid and the Merrow' where the story takes place in the sea-caves under cliffs where the Merrow lairs, but might be more than a little dangerous in Minna's world! In the Northumbrian/Scots Border ballad 'Young Hunting' it's used to find the body of a murdered young man which has been concealed by evil magic in a hole in the bottom of a river.

The procedure had several variants, but the commonest was to float lights on the water in the darkest part of the night, while singing the appropriate spell, which might be a binding charm in the case of a dangerous monster like the Merrow, or a simple calling pattern in the case of something less deadly. In 'Young Hunting' the searchers float 'lanthorns' in nests of woven grass along the stretch of river where they suspect the body to be, then his sister sings the body up to where the divers can find him. Might be a use for all those candles.

I wonder what Mikkel has found in his books? And I wonder what would happen if Lalli mustered enough will to run *enough* magic through his body? Would it burn clean? Looking forward with trepidation to the next episode!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #1030 on: October 12, 2015, 06:49:41 PM »
All of that is something else I could add on my "why lakes and this kind of places always seems a bad idea in fiction"...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #1031 on: October 12, 2015, 07:23:53 PM »
And now, a giant step back…

Survival
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
If she’d had to pick, she’d say the worst things about this new world were the rats.

The rats under consideration weren’t the of late frighteningly scarce normal ones, though those had caused quite a bit of trouble in the beginning. No, the rats she’d have meant were Beast-rats, ones that could seem normal until you were close enough for them to strike, and then dropped that guise in favor of some demonic form straight from the deepest pits.

Their cat had saved her five or six times over from those things, earning increasingly better treatment from all of them, which, being a cat, it graciously accepted as its due. But the cat was getting old; as with all flesh, the day would come when they lost its protection, but none of them wanted to think about that yet.

Sometimes, when she was just waking up, she’d look at her husband’s face, relaxed in sleep so close to her own, and think the whole thing had been some crazy nightmare; that she needed to hurry off to her job in the bustling city among all the other people; that the world was circling on as it had all the earlier days of her life, with Mankind ruling with a sometimes clumsy but always firm hand. Then reality would come crashing back to her, and she’d have to choke back her tears so he wouldn’t wake and be crushed by them.

He was her rock, the one without whom she would truly have despaired, and he could face beast, troll or giant without flinching, but her tears always felled him. There had been many tears, of course, especially early on, and not just from her. You could say you were ready for the collapse of civilization, play at preparing for the loss of everything you’d ever known, and even believe it to your core, but when it actually came about, you couldn’t watch the world shatter around you without being sliced open by one piece or another.

Tuuli Hollola shook off her despondent mood and put on her “I’m a happy crazy lady!” smile before going back to join the others topside. After all, life went on, even after the world ended.

Spoiler:  Authorial Notes • show

Just a short glimpse into the mind of one of the prologue characters here.

Róisín

« Reply #1032 on: October 12, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »
I like it!

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #1033 on: October 12, 2015, 09:43:06 PM »
And now, a giant step back…

Survival
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
If she’d had to pick, she’d say the worst things about this new world were the rats.

The rats under consideration weren’t the of late frighteningly scarce normal ones, though those had caused quite a bit of trouble in the beginning. No, the rats she’d have meant were Beast-rats, ones that could seem normal until you were close enough for them to strike, and then dropped that guise in favor of some demonic form straight from the deepest pits.

Their cat had saved her five or six times over from those things, earning increasingly better treatment from all of them, which, being a cat, it graciously accepted as its due. But the cat was getting old; as with all flesh, the day would come when they lost its protection, but none of them wanted to think about that yet.

Sometimes, when she was just waking up, she’d look at her husband’s face, relaxed in sleep so close to her own, and think the whole thing had been some crazy nightmare; that she needed to hurry off to her job in the bustling city among all the other people; that the world was circling on as it had all the earlier days of her life, with Mankind ruling with a sometimes clumsy but always firm hand. Then reality would come crashing back to her, and she’d have to choke back her tears so he wouldn’t wake and be crushed by them.

He was her rock, the one without whom she would truly have despaired, and he could face beast, troll or giant without flinching, but her tears always felled him. There had been many tears, of course, especially early on, and not just from her. You could say you were ready for the collapse of civilization, play at preparing for the loss of everything you’d ever known, and even believe it to your core, but when it actually came about, you couldn’t watch the world shatter around you without being sliced open by one piece or another.

Tuuli Hollola shook off her despondent mood and put on her “I’m a happy crazy lady!” smile before going back to join the others topside. After all, life went on, even after the world ended.

Spoiler:  Authorial Notes • show

Just a short glimpse into the mind of one of the prologue characters here.

Looney, I really like how you always find these interesting new angles to tell stories from. :)

SectoBoss and Mélusine, glad you're liking (slash hating? haha sorry Mélusine!) the story! Róisín, thanks for the info, I wasn't familiar with any of that. Actually, Emil will be using a candle for something, but I don't want to spoil it... I will say that one other thing you mentioned is very close to being right, though!
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1034 on: October 12, 2015, 10:14:49 PM »

I can't draw, and I'd only be getting in the way if I tried to write näkki fics.  But... here's some emo pop with a very näkki (or anyway underwater) art design, plus a host of weird little critters...

/>
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: