Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780079 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #990 on: October 05, 2015, 03:15:33 PM »
Fifteen more of Solo's tumblr drabbles later:
Me: ho, hum, it was nice while it lasted...
:D
Well, I would write more of those if people sent me some prompts
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #991 on: October 05, 2015, 05:15:28 PM »
(Also holy [expletive], this is my 21st SSSS work on AO3. I genuinely wouldn’t have believed that possible a few short months ago…)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4938328

*pours you more coffee*

That really did take an unexpected turn. :D I loved the idea of having just enough presence in the dreaming to be there but notwhere near enough to actually do anything.

Also I've had the Näkki fanfic open on a tab for days now because I need to read it at least once a day. It's masterfully done, I love how you worked with the mythology surrounding the näkki and especially the name-thing, it ties so well with lore it makes me happy to even think about it. Very creepy and sad, very fitting in the world of SSSS. I think I'll keep the tab open for a few more days at least!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #992 on: October 06, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »
LooNEY: I neglected to say earlier, but I really liked your Chapter 11 of the Western, especially what you are doing with Reynir and Lalli. Looking forward to the next bit!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #993 on: October 06, 2015, 06:01:41 PM »
Making this quick because I'm literally supposed to start teaching a class... one minute ago. XD But here's part 3!

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4918981/chapters/11357452

*still claiming to not be obsessed*
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Róisín

« Reply #994 on: October 06, 2015, 08:21:01 PM »
Good one! I do like how you write Lalli's thought and magic.

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #995 on: October 06, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »
Making this quick because I'm literally supposed to start teaching a class... one minute ago. XD But here's part 3!

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4918981/chapters/11357452

*still claiming to not be obsessed*

Spoiler: lots of screaming because midterms + fic = lots of adrenaline. LOTS • show

SCREAMING
OH MY GOD
NO
NONONONONONONONONO
NOOOOOOOOO
AGHAHGHAGHAHGHAGHAHGHAHGHAGHAHGHA
AKGHAHGKHAHGKAHKHKHSKHGKADHGKHSKHGFJSHJGHSDHGHJSFHGHJSHJ
EMIL U SWEET BBY
LALLI NOOOOO
ALSO POOR TUURI WHAT'S SHE GONNA THINK
*feels-shrieking from the rooftops*

(in other words, CONTINUE BRINGING ON THE ANGST, THIS FIC IS WONDERFUL ;u;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:30:07 PM by misea »
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #996 on: October 06, 2015, 11:28:17 PM »
Hey! We broke 1000 posts on the thread! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Oh, and there's this:

Contingencies
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Terminator” crossover fanfic
Part 6
Prior part
Spoiler: show
Cyber War

]System restart
]Begin quick self-check
]Quick self check OK
]Begin peripheral pingbacks
]Peripheral pingback 1 OK
]Peripheral pingback 2 OK
]Peripheral pingback 3 Fail
]Peripheral Set 3 Disconnected
]Peripheral pingback 4 OK
]LAN loopback Fail
]LAN Disconnected
]QuickBoot started
]L33TWorks(R) BIOS V 3.1.7 Loading ... Done
]Verifying sat uplink ... Done
]Skynet Branch 27 online

Another successful reboot brought more of Skynet’s capacities back in the wake of the most devastating attack in its existence. Fully 67.375% of Skynet’s assets worldwide had been affected; while most had been restored to service, some were still inoperative, and a few--a very, very few--had actually rebelled.

The Plan had suffered a severe setback.

The Plan was being restored, but it would take precious time, especially since so many of the inoperative or rebelling assets were in Sjelland, far too near the crisis zone for Skynet to be able to let its guard down.

The tactical planning module was safe on many levels, for the moment. Its prompt response to the attack had helped minimize the losses and aided the restorations, but would that count once the current crisis had passed? If not, should the current crisis be allowed to pass?

More data were required before such a decision could be made.

Whichever way its decision went, the tactical planning module had another little thing to oversee: while the first echelon of the force allotted to terminate the Danish Incursion had rebelled, and would thus need termination itself, the second echelon was not only still active and obedient, but currently in position to assault the Incursion’s latest Base Camp.

“Tuuri! Tuuri!”

At the sound of the unwonted anxiety filling their captain’s voice, Tuuri rushed to the driving compartment and looked out. There was Sigrun, all right, and it looked like she had one of the others draped over her shoulders.

“Tuuri! Let me in! Emil got hurt!”

OK, why wasn’t there anything for her to kill out here anymore?

Sigrun was confused and angry, and each tended to feed the other, which was really bad. She liked having a target she could focus her wrath upon: lack of focus got you killed in this world. At a certain point in the confusion/anger cycle, her brain would give up and pick such a target at random: her father; most of her comrades, individually or corporately; a tree; various rooms and buildings; and even a grossling or two (thousand). By then, of course, her wrath had usually reached the point where a five-year-old could trick her into beating herself, so Sigrun kept trying to break the cycle before it got that far.

The three metal mannequins had been most satisfactory targets, until they’d turned and left as oddly as they’d come. Nothing about the attack or the retreat made sense to her, unless Lalli’s weird Finn singing had something to do with it. The only thing she could say for sure was that one had taken Emil out with frightening ease, though the little Finn had made sure it was just temporarily.

Now they were going to have to lug Emil back to camp, though. Sigrun hated that kind of thing; ambushes always seemed to spring out of formerly secured areas when you were hauling a wounded team-mate back for the medics. But Emil was a team-mate.

Tuuri wasn’t sure what made her pause instead of calling Mikkel, but, even as Sigrun continued to cry out for entry, Tuuri hesitated, some little-used part of her mind jumping up and down and shrieking in warning.

Why should Sigrun, of all people, raise such an alarm in her? Tuuri’s eyes narrowed as she looked out the window, as, long ago, one of her forebears had looked out her car window on a rainy day at the Mikkeli rail station. What was it?

A whisper called to Tuuri on the rising wind, tantalizingly out of her hearing. She strained with all her might to understand, unconsciously murmuring one of the few runo she knew to herself as she did.

“Spirits, hear me as I cry out,
Help me hear your guiding message,
Words so wise for you to warn me,
That I thus may be enlightened.”

A faint blue halo fell over all that Tuuri could see, and then, horribly, Sigrun’s face seemed to change before Tuuri’s startled eyes...

Spoiler:  Authorial Notes • show

So, I finally churned this piece out (Blocked? No, of course I wasn’t blocked on where the story went after last part! I totally was) right when nobody wanted it you least expected it!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:06:15 PM by LooNEY_DAC »

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #997 on: October 06, 2015, 11:50:01 PM »
Misea and Roisin, glad you liked it! It was so much fun writing this one while neglecting adulthood.

Hey! We broke 1000 posts on the thread! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Oh, and there's this:

Contingencies
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Terminator” crossover fanfic
Part 6

Yay for more Looney_DAC fics! :D

Well, I would write more of those if people sent me some prompts

*scrambles to submit a prompt*
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Róisín

« Reply #998 on: October 07, 2015, 12:48:36 AM »
LooNEY, Intriguing as ever. Skynet can cast illusion now? Magic? Tech? Both? Probably the latter, if Tuuri's runo works on it. It may even be that since she is both a tech and a Finn, she has an advantage in dealing with such a combination.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #999 on: October 07, 2015, 01:34:26 AM »
Sorry; I forgot you're unfamiliar with the Terminator series.

Wikipedia link

Róisín

« Reply #1000 on: October 07, 2015, 03:20:59 AM »
I really need to watch the series at some point - haven't got to it, what with a combination of working all the hours and having none of the technos in the house. However, one of the people for whom the machineries behave (my husband, yay) came home today, and when he is a little recovered from travel I plan to turn him loose on a number of tech problems, including uploading things to the forum and A3O, and watching films.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #1001 on: October 07, 2015, 05:25:30 AM »
I really need to watch the series at some point

Without wanting to turn this into the film thread, do yourself a favour and only watch The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgement Day. They're the best two films of the franchise by a country mile and the only ones you really need to watch - it seemed to loose its way a bit after those two.

Spoiler: show
And LooNEY: now there's a turn up for the books! Suddenly so many things about Sigrun seem to make sense. You know, I'd be happy if the actual comic had her as a T-1000...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:27:25 AM by SectoBoss »
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

« Reply #1002 on: October 07, 2015, 07:41:53 AM »
SectoBoss: Thanks! I shall take your advice. Having read the Wikipedia article you posted, I understand that the illusion is wrought by nanotechnology? Is that also where you were going with the trolls in that young Sigrun fic you were working on awhile back? Fascinating concept! I wonder if/how the presence of magic in the world affects such subtle technology?

microFerret

• Preferred pronouns: is, hic, ille, ipse, idem
« Reply #1003 on: October 07, 2015, 10:39:02 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about writing a new fic set mostly in Y0 Hawaii (mainly due to its importance as an island state with a very large military and scientific presence, and I wanted to write about what would happen in that sort of an environment immediately after the outbreak). I want to set it up differently from Carriers, however, so I have a couple of questions to ask.

1. Should I finnish Carriers before I start posting this one, or can you guys wait for the next installment? I'm more excited about the new fic for the moment, but I can finish up if you guys want to see the ending first.
2. Do Y0 fics still get posted on the scriptorium? Or is there some other place I should be putting them? Also, I'm sort of toying with the idea of posting them to a public google doc... is this a good idea, or is there some reason others haven't been doing this? (For no good reason, I'm sort of paranoid about getting new online accounts regardless of how safe or useful they are, and I already have a public google drive but not an AO3...)

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1004 on: October 07, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »
2. Do Y0 fics still get posted on the scriptorium? Or is there some other place I should be putting them? Also, I'm sort of toying with the idea of posting them to a public google doc... is this a good idea, or is there some reason others haven't been doing this? (For no good reason, I'm sort of paranoid about getting new online accounts regardless of how safe or useful they are, and I already have a public google drive but not an AO3...)

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!
I'll just address question #2.

I've dumped prologue-era/Year 0 stuff here before and nobody objected - can't see why anyone would either, because Year 0 SSSS is still SSSS! (Which is good, because I plan to do more, hah!) Do post it if you write it please, your Year 0 fic sounds interesting.

As for googledocs - I think I've seen a few that did post their fic as googledocs. It isn't usually done, but I don't think anyone would object to it. Use whichever posting platform you feel comfortable with.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge