Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 768139 times)

microFerret

• Preferred pronouns: is, hic, ille, ipse, idem
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #960 on: October 01, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »
Great fic Looney! Really liked the tone, and I thought it was a nice compliment to the recent nakkidraws. I don't know what else to say besides keep up the good work!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #961 on: October 02, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »
This went through a couple of redesigns – it was originally going to be set in a medieval world where the rash had replaced the bubonic plague! – but this worked better and I thought I’d better get it done with before the näkki-Lalli craze got forgotten. Anyway, here’s my take on things. And thanks again to Laufey for helping with the mythology behind it!
Fair warning: the näkki catches its victims through seduction of some sort, so it’s a bit more shippy than the stuff I usually write.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4917124

And the look of näkki-Lalli was inspired predominantly by Rabbit’s art over on the Art Museum (with a bit of shoop’s work thrown in too!):

LooNEY_DAC, I thoroughly enjoyed your spin on things!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #962 on: October 02, 2015, 07:10:25 PM »
This went through a couple of redesigns – it was originally going to be set in a medieval world where the rash had replaced the bubonic plague! – but this worked better and I thought I’d better get it done with before the näkki-Lalli craze got forgotten. Anyway, here’s my take on things. And thanks again to Laufey for helping with the mythology behind it!
Fair warning: the näkki catches its victims through seduction of some sort, so it’s a bit more shippy than the stuff I usually write.

Already commented on AO3, but I really enjoyed this. :) It's really fun to see how one idea can inspire so many interesting variations.

This week I had to deal with three part-time jobs, surly students, and a sinus infection, so of course the first thing I did upon getting home was write fan fiction. Here's part one of my spin on Näkki-Lalli.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4918981/chapters/11285788
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #963 on: October 03, 2015, 02:07:39 AM »
SectoBoss, Seilann: two brilliant and chilling stories. 'Food for a week, biomass for a month'! Shudders. I would bet both of these tales evoke some really scary fanart. Well done both!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

shoop

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • sup homes
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #964 on: October 03, 2015, 09:15:28 AM »
I commented on ao3 but: I love all three of these fics and I love all three of you. I threatened to cry in the art thread if any you wrote fic but I am honestly just giddy still? maybe I will cry when the reality hits?? Either way the different ways y'all took the au are all different and so interesting! And so good!!!!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #965 on: October 03, 2015, 10:46:13 AM »
Thanks to Seilann, Róisín and shoop for your kind words!
(Have just gone back over that fic and found an embarrasing number of spelling errors, I really need to get a beta-reader sorted out one of these days...)

I would bet both of these tales evoke some really scary fanart.
We can only hope...  ;)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
I write a bit on AO3

KauniitaUnia

• Scout
  • boldly going nowhere
« Reply #966 on: October 03, 2015, 10:54:44 AM »

perfectly chilling... but also heartwarming, in a way. I loved reading this!

This week I had to deal with three part-time jobs, surly students, and a sinus infection, so of course the first thing I did upon getting home was write fan fiction. Here's part one of my spin on Näkki-Lalli.

this was a really interesting interpretation. The emotion and suspense were amazing!

Fluent - :uk:
Learning - :sweden: :france:
Would love to learn - :finland:
Survived - :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :chap9::chap10:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #967 on: October 03, 2015, 03:22:26 PM »

It's really fun to see how one idea can inspire so many interesting variations.
The both of your takes are obviously well-written, but what really interests me is how both of yours center on a "new strain" of Rash that hits immune individuals, while mine was the old 'rescued from the deal with the devil' idea (thus "a long and foolish story").

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #968 on: October 03, 2015, 04:49:49 PM »
The both of your takes are obviously well-written, but what really interests me is how both of yours center on a "new strain" of Rash that hits immune individuals, while mine was the old 'rescued from the deal with the devil' idea (thus "a long and foolish story").

I've noticed that's a recurring theme with my stuff - I suggested something similar when I floated the idea of the kraken, and a lot of my stuff that deals with the infected tends to focus more on their biological aspects. I guess this is what you get when you surround yourself with science your whole life...
That said, my idea for how Lalli became infected, while poorly communicated in my story, was not actually a mutant strain. I envisaged a troll in the dreamworld (perhaps even another näkki) getting its claws on him and sort of 'downloading' the rash into his soul, thereby circumventing the biological immunity he posesses.
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #969 on: October 03, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »
Seilann: I do admire your dedication, continuing to write through sinusitis, weariness and the dreaded students. Worthy of the persistence of a Lalli! Well done!

Sectoboss: I had supposed you meant something of the sort, since in our world's folklore one of the traditional ways to be taken by Näkki or equivalents was to sleep near water where one of them lived (if you could call it living). We don't yet know much about the overlap between the geography of the solid world and the dreamworld. Maybe an infected näkki took up residence in the real-world equivalent of Lalli's raft pool, dragged him under when he was sleeping there and gradually took him over? Then one night he went scouting and didn't come back.....

I may have mentioned before that one of my ideas for what makes the maahinen or vatte is that it is what happens when the earth-things get infected with the Rash? I've actually used the concept in the rest of that long fanfic of mine, if I ever manage to get the rest of the #<<£%%||! Thing to post. I imagine that they suffer as humans do, with some immune, most dying, a few turning into troll equivalents.

By the way, Australia also has the folklore of 'river-girls', with the same concepts of a beautiful singing thing that lived in the water, had long drowning waterweed hair, and drew young men down, drowned and ate them. Ours usually come in packs rather than being solitary, however, said to be groups of sisters or kin of one tribe. Main difference is that they are beautiful all over, and remain so out of the water. If a hero (and it needs to be a hero, these things are heavy-duty) manages to subdue and tame one he gets to keep her, marry her, have children, and she stays loyal as long as she is not let back into the water for too long, and is kept away from her sisters.

Sort of like the lake-fey of Wales and Brittany, or the seal-women of the Isles and Ireland. Or, for that matter, Tom Bombadil's River-Daughter in Tolkien.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Seilann

• Tumblr
« Reply #970 on: October 03, 2015, 11:49:25 PM »
I envisaged a troll in the dreamworld (perhaps even another näkki) getting its claws on him and sort of 'downloading' the rash into his soul, thereby circumventing the biological immunity he posesses.

Cool idea! It certainly works with the canon. I don't even have a solid origin for the näkki-rash -- Lalli will probably never find out where he got it, other than in the dreamworld. (Spirit world? Both? Is there an official name for it yet?)
native :usa:
conversational :japan:
stagnant :southkorea: :spain: :italy:
beginner :sweden: :ireland: :greece:

:chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #971 on: October 04, 2015, 06:26:53 AM »
I may have mentioned before that one of my ideas for what makes the maahinen or vatte is that it is what happens when the earth-things get infected with the Rash? I've actually used the concept in the rest of that long fanfic of mine, if I ever manage to get the rest of the #<<£%%||! Thing to post. I imagine that they suffer as humans do, with some immune, most dying, a few turning into troll equivalents.
I hope you do get it posted, I'm looking forward to it!

I don't even have a solid origin for the näkki-rash -- Lalli will probably never find out where he got it, other than in the dreamworld. (Spirit world? Both? Is there an official name for it yet?)
I don't think we have an official term for it just yet, at least not one provided within the comic. Everyone seems to be calling it the dreamworld, though.
I write a bit on AO3

Adriano

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • We are not in America
« Reply #972 on: October 04, 2015, 04:52:27 PM »
First part of my fanfic : SSSS The Great Wash

It is setted 14 years after the events reported in SSSS and concern a raid of Norwegian Hunters, Cleansers and Finnish Mages in South Sweden.
Spoiler: show
Year 104, late summer, Cleansing and Hunting Campaign in South Sweden

Emil Västerström, 33, was in the heat of the battle when he suddenly heard one of his Cleanser calling him:  “Emil! Come! COME!!! It’s Sigrun! She… She’s… Oh, come, Emil!”
And so did Emil, and when he reached the place where Sigrun Eide, his wife, was lying, he cried. She had a hole in the chest, her legs were ripped apart, and she seemed unconscious.

« A Giant attacked her and Lalli’s group. I saw Lalli, he did nothing, he was just staring at the Giant, and the Giant didn’t attacked him, it attacked Sigrun ! » Emil looked at Lalli. He wasn’t wounded at all. Emil felt anger rising in his heart. “You killed her ! You were supposed to look after her, to protect her, I DID TRUST YOU ! But you just KILLED HER !”

Now Emil was shouting and crying, and then, as Sigrun died in his arms, he turned over Lalli, who was a bit away standing still, watching silently Sigrun and Emil, and he laughed hysterically. “I’ll kill you, ahah, I will KILL YOU !!!” Emil took his knife out and jumped on Lalli, attempting to kill him. But a bunch of finnish mages, Lalli’s pack, catched Lalli and put him away of Emil, empending him to reach Lalli. Lalli ran away, as Cleansers were returning against the mages. General chaos happened, where Cleansers and Finnish Mages were fighting at each other’s, where Emil was crying on Sigrun’s dead body, where Lalli was fleeing from the battlefield, where Norwegians Hunters were trying to stop the melee, where Mikkel was smiling, because he found the last piece of the puzzle about Mages and Trolls link…
Born to be Infected !
'Sometimes life is like getting clogged with a clog' - Wolfie.

:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:
Native : :france:
Fluent : :uk:
Knowing a bit : :germany: :portugal:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #973 on: October 04, 2015, 05:35:16 PM »
Seilann, Sectoboss, your fics are wonderful ;u;

*knows it's futile but checks AO3 for more of Seilann's näkki!Lalli fic*
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

microFerret

• Preferred pronouns: is, hic, ille, ipse, idem
« Reply #974 on: October 04, 2015, 05:40:17 PM »
And... I'm sorry about the enormous wall of text. It was this or a double post. I apologize.

At long last! I've managed finally to POST the second half of 'A Few Of Mikkel's Secrets' to Archive Of Our Own. I put the first bit up over a month ago, and have had the second part ready for a couple of weeks, but haven't been able to get the Cursed Machineries to cooperate in putting it up. However a technically skilled person/Noble Rescuer was here this evening and managed to beat the Machineries into submission. So it's up! I'm 'Tanist' over there, since their system won't recognise my usual name. There might eventually be more of the story; the last few paragraphs will tell you why. But not at present - real life is wildly busy just now!

Here is the link to Chapter two
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3856330/chapters/9019474

Here is Chapter one, for those who haven't read it
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3856330/chapters/8611471
First of all, I know it's like super old news at this point, but I just read this and wanted to say it is amazing! I'm a big fan of  Mikkel, and I think this just adds so much to his character and that of Alma without really drifting too far from canon. I read the third part as well, and wanted to ask if a fourth part was coming up...?

Great work to both of you! And I had a sort of horrible and busy week too (no sinus infection, but I can totally relate), so this was great for me. I also wrote my own, in fact two more chapters of the Carriers fic I've been doing for a while. So if you're looking for a quick fic fix, here are chapters five and six.

Spoiler: Carriers, Chapter 5 • show

The first time he noticed the Black Noise was immediately after the incident at the grocery store. A single voice, barely audible. Telling him that he had helped. Thanking him for caring, for staying with during the Illness. Apologizing for causing so much suffering. It would stop for a while, but it would always come back. The same words, repeated for eternity.
Midway through his third day on Copenhagen, Wil noticed the second voice. Screaming, blaming the government for everything that had happened. Then, in a softer voice, calling a name, someone who would never come. The voices were starting to affect his thoughts. He was filled with despair, fear, and rage, all competing to overtake rational thought. He retreated back to his boat, his safe place. He curled up and didn't want to move again.
The third voice was followed almost immediately by all the others. There were so many, and what scared him was that his own thoughts started to sound more and more like those of the trolls. In some strange way, he almost wanted to join with them in their world of fear and desperation. He couldn't, though. Nor could he overcome them. Stuck in between, he could only waste away, remaining stuck between the world of the humans, and the mindless emotion of the trolls. At this moment, he believed he knew the difference between human and troll. Both had emotion; fear, pain, even forgiveness, but only humans knew what it meant. For trolls, life was simpler. There was no logic, there was no cause and effect. It was easy to endure anything without thinking about the future. For a machine, there was only logic. The great metal airplanes of old did not care whether they flew or crashed. Humans were cursed, Wil thought.
No, spoke a voice. He did not think it was his voice, it was not even in his language. But surely it was a part of him, for instantly the will to survive came flooding back. He remembered the greenhouse his parents had built, and how proud he had been to be put in charge of growing all the warm-air plants that would not grow outside, cinnamon and coffee and peppers. He remembered being so proud to pass all his Old World Technology classes two years ahead of everyone else. He remebered the obligatory blood test for immunity, on his fourteenth birthday, a month ago. For a moment, the despair came back. But then he imagined a new future for himself, forging a path through the Silent World, finding other communities of survivors, banding together, exploring the ruins of the world.
The voices were still there, but they didn't bother him anymore. Then, he heard something else.

Mikkel thought the scout must have been mad. Just moments before, he had shouted "Ei!" in his sleep and sprung out of bed. Now, he wanted Mikkel to turn on the radio and talk to the Black Noise? He checked with Tuuri, who wore an expression as confused as he felt.
"Yep, I'm not about to question it," she said. "He just said it's urgent. And he said you have to be the one on the line."
Whatever. If Lalli thought it was necessary, it probably was.

Wil couldn't believe his ears. The trolls mostly blotted out the noise, but there had unmistakeably been a normal radio transmission. With live people! He hadn't been able to hear the words, though. The trolls continued to jabber on. There was a runo to stop the Black Noise, but he had never heard of any Danes that were able to cast it. He tried anyways.
"Shut up!!!" Wil yelled in an alien pitch and intonation. Suddenly, the trolls stopped and he was able to hear the transmission clearly.

Spoiler: Carriers, Chapter 6 • show

The Black Noise had stopped. Tuuri looked at Lalli, but he only shrugged. He pointed back to the radio and told his cousin to tell Mikkel to broadcast again. Mikkel complied.
"Hello, this is Mikkel Madsen of the Copenhagen Expedition-"
He was cut off by a familiar young voice.
"Ohmygoshthankyouthankyouthankyou! Mikkel, it's Wilhelm!"
Mikkel's expression contorted into something that the others had never seen before.
"What do you think you're doing out here? Shouldn't you be back training for your profession? You're in Copenhagen, for crying out loud! We're the only ones who've been out here in ten years! It's literally the most dangerous place in the world you could be right now! What do you think you're doing?" Mikkel paused for half a second, and it dawned on him. There was no other planned expedition to Copenhagen, and there were only two reasons people got sent to the Silent World without a military team. One of them was treason. So there was only one reason a good kid like Wil would be in the Silent World on his own. Mikkel clamped his hand over the speaker to muffle the words from the other end. The Finns would need to know. The others... he preferred if they didn't have to lie to their commanding officers. He very politely told Emil, Sigrun, and Reynir to leave the room.
"I'm sorry," he said over the radio. "I figured you were a carrier." Lalli and Tuuri were expressionless.
"How did you know?"
"Well, I'm a medic. They don't tell most civilians about carriers because of the panic it would cause. But due to the fact that you're out here in the Silent World alone and stopped the Black Noise without using magic, I was fairly certain you are one."
"Can I come find you, and join the expedition? I'll be helpful." Wil knew it was a stupid idea, but he so desperately wanted to see Mikkel again that it didn't matter to him if they would just have to leave him behind at the end of the mission. Mikkel was like family to him. At the Battle of Kastrup, Mikkel and Wil's father, a pair of farmers-turned-medics, had worked together for days straight to triage and heal the wounded. They had been close since then, and Wil had always looked up to him.
Mikkel snorted. "That's just like what Reynir said when he came to us in a box of food. Unfortunately, he and Tuuri are nonimmunes, so you'd be an incredible danger to them. But that's why we have Lalli here." Tuuri was more intent now, and quickly related the details to Lalli. Lalli responded that he'd already met Wil in the spirit world, and already liked the kid a lot more than Reynir.
"Ei." Lalli said, and Wil understood.
"Thank you. Is there anything else you can tell me about what to expect?"
"I don't know much about carriers, because there are very few of you," Mikkel said, "but I have a few pieces of information. First, the Black Noise that you've been hearing will come and go over time, but it's more than just noise. Because you're closer to a troll than a normal human, you have a lot of control over trolls. You probably don't have to worry about small ones, because just the force of your own noise is enough to overwhelm them. However, giants are a different story. They... don't listen to anything."
"Other advice... stick to the shores and head south. There are almost certainly other carriers out there. You've got a good shot at survival. You'll find other carriers eventually..." He trailed off. Why did everything have to be about Kastrup? There was Alma, whom he lost at Kastrup. He wouldn't have known Wil if it wasn't for Kastrup, and this expedition was taking him right back through the battlefields of that fateful defeat. Kastrup was where he had learned about the carriers. Kastrup was where Ben, in his cowardice, had doomed them all. Wil was doing the right thing by getting as far away as possible.
"Don't try to find your way back. Keep in touch through Lalli. Good luck, and explore the world for me. Bye, Wil."
"Bye." The Black Noise started working its way back in, and Wil found himself back in the present, standing on the deck of his boat, feeling like a not-so-bold explorer prepared to venture timidly into the forgotten depths of the Silent World.

And for those who haven't read the other chapters:

Chapter 1
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg64481#msg64481

Chapter 2
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg65012#msg65012

Chapter 3
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg65552#msg65552

Chapter 4
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=193.msg68908#msg68908

Also, one final word...
Spoiler: Funny thing I found on the NIH Website • show

This seemed perfect.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2851340/
Taming the troll: strep throat carriage? Umm, trolls, and healthy carriers, and airborne diseases, and "taming" the troll within? Sound like anything I wrote?