Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 779894 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #870 on: September 03, 2015, 05:51:19 PM »
Daéa Reina and Mélusine, thank you very much! (I didn't even know people still read my old stuff...)

Right, well now I'm going to lose a bit of the goodwill I've hopefully built up on this thread by treading on another forum member's toes. After the third or fourth re-reading of LooneyDAC's SSSS/Terminator fanfic 'Contingencies', I really really wanted to play around a bit with the idea. So I vomited this out over the course of the last couple of hours...

Skynet

A sort of AU fanfic of an AU fanfic here. It's is officially not as good as 'Contingencies'. But I hope some of you like it, and I hope Looney doesn't get too angry that I've started in on his turf!

Also, Adriano, would you mind putting future installments of your work under spolier tabs? Just so the thread doesn't get too cluttered :)
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #871 on: September 03, 2015, 05:54:23 PM »
Psst, is this the place to ask? Need someone to beta for me some HSAU.
I can!

Adriano, this looks really interesting! Can't wait to see where it goes.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #872 on: September 03, 2015, 08:30:56 PM »
SectoBoss, this looks fascinating. Have you ever thought of asking LooNEYDAC if he is up for doing a continuation of this AU with alternate chapters by each of you? It would be interesting to see two such clever writers bouncing ideas off one another! And that might make for a very complex and interesting story.

And yes, a lot of us still re-read your old fanfics! Do you plan ever to restore the missing bits? Long may you continue to write!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #873 on: September 03, 2015, 08:41:07 PM »
Right, well now I'm going to lose a bit of the goodwill I've hopefully built up on this thread by treading on another forum member's toes. After the third or fourth re-reading of LooneyDAC's SSSS/Terminator fanfic 'Contingencies', I really really wanted to play around a bit with the idea. A sort of AU fanfic of an AU fanfic here. It's is officially not as good as 'Contingencies'. But I hope some of you like it, and I hope Looney doesn't get too angry that I've started in on his turf!

SectoBoss, I am, as always, in awe of your prose. I'll send you a PM on some stuff, but I wanted to say publicly that you're one of the "returning Titans of the thread" I was talking about.

SectoBoss, this looks fascinating. Have you ever thought of asking LooNEYDAC if he is up for doing a continuation of this AU with alternate chapters by each of you? It would be interesting to see two such clever writers bouncing ideas off one another! And that might make for a very complex and interesting story.

And yes, a lot of us still re-read your old fanfics! Do you plan ever to restore the missing bits? Long may you continue to write!

I have heard there are certain groups of writers who use this format as a kind of friendly challenge to each other by "writing the story into a corner" at the end of each of their chapters.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #874 on: September 04, 2015, 05:53:45 AM »

The idea of a collaborative effort is one of those I might be interested in trying if I had a lot of spare time and knew the other author very well. I have the problem of not being very good at plotting out multi-installment works, which I imagine would be exacerbated greatly if I was working with someone who perhaps had a different vision of where they wanted the story to go. But one day, who knows...
As for the missing bits, well, I do hope to finish all my works eventually. But my muses come and go very quickly, and older unfinished works may end up dead.

SectoBoss, I am, as always, in awe of your prose. I'll send you a PM on some stuff, but I wanted to say publicly that you're one of the "returning Titans of the thread" I was talking about.
Thank you very much! Although I must admit any 'titan' status I have is as much due to sheer output volume as it is to anything else.
I have heard there are certain groups of writers who use this format as a kind of friendly challenge to each other by "writing the story into a corner" at the end of each of their chapters.
And this is one reason why I'd be wary of doing this - the fear that I might do this accidentally, let alone deliberately!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #875 on: September 04, 2015, 10:43:10 PM »
**Note to readers**

Part 4 of Contingencies has been rewritten to address a VERY valid problem SectoBoss was kind enough to point out. Hopefully, I got it right this time.

…What? I stole something from LordTraco? Oooh, that's so ugly-sounding. Obviously, I homaged his work instead. Yes, that sounds much better.

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #876 on: September 05, 2015, 09:21:44 PM »
Psst, is this the place to ask? Need someone to beta for me some HSAU.
I don't mind either! c:
Behold, I've returned from the dead! (aka exams, urgh)
So much good fanfiction to read and angsty fanfiction to write, haha. How've you all been? :)
Sadly I have another exam in October and won't be around much starting from late September, I think.
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #877 on: September 06, 2015, 03:18:20 PM »
In the earnest hope that I haven't trashed your expectations too much…

The Oldest Law
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part 4
Spoiler: show
Hot and Cold Running Thrills

It had been a very rough night. None of the five had slept much, even Lalli, but none had spoken much, either. They were all concerned about Tuuri, as she’d been like a sleepwalker since they came back to the common room; and they’d all felt the urge to stay in physical contact with the others. Eventually, they’d wound up in a weird mound of bodies, blankets and pillows, half supine, half upright, but all together.

It was actually some time before any of them noticed the subtle but horrifying change that had come over the room sometime during the night: the doors were gone. Where the doors had been were blank spaces of wall no different than those behind any of the bits of furniture they hadn’t already shifted.

This was very nearly the last straw for Tuuri. It was so serious that Lalli came over to her as she hyperventilated, wrapped her in his skinny arms, and murmured to her as though they were children again, slowly rocking her back and forth.

Reynir frowned. He was a generally sunny and positive person, but this--this mindwarping stuff, and what it was doing to Tuuri, were getting him positively angry. There are many reasons not to anger a mage, even a half-trained mage of the Icelandic school, and Reynir was about to demonstrate one.

Glowing blue fingers traced out a circle on the carpet, a circle that lingered. “Mikkel, get everyone in the ring,” Reynir ordered. When that was done, he drew another circle all around the first ring, and then started scribing individual runes in the interval. The last rune glowing in its place, Reynir made a tugging motion, and the rune circle began to spin.

Tremors began to shake the room as the runes spun on, and when they finally came to rest, a wave of blue energy burst from the ring, washing across every corner of their prison, and a section of the wall fell open.

It seemed the silly Icelander had finally managed to get angry. Lalli distinctly approved, as he had long since passed mere anger himself. Not waiting for the others--he was still their scout, after all--he left the ring and moved into the hallway Reynir’s magic had exposed.

It only took a moment for Emil to follow. Even knowing it was futile, he slowly and carefully spoke Sigrun’s paramount admonition to his Finn friend. “No... one... is... alone... Lalli.”

Lalli paused then, as though he’d actually understood Emil. Then he shrugged and moved on again, but this time he gestured for Emil to follow. The Cleanser and the Mage walked down the hall together.

Mikkel was also starting to get angry, and the walk down the corridor did nothing to diminish that. Along the sides were paintings that changed when you looked at them from different angles, and statues set behind cleverly curved glass so that their faces seemed to follow your progress down the corridor. Childish stuff all, the kind usually reserved for carnivals and funhouses, but for someone in Tuuri’s delicate state, someone that the responsible party or parties had deliberately worked up into such a delicate state, it could prove disastrous.

Emil and Lalli awaited them after they rounded one more corner. “The floor up ahead,” Emil said breathlessly, “it moves. We didn’t want to be carried off without you.”

All together then, the five stepped onto the conveyor.

“Sigrun!” With that cry of joy, Tuuri broke from their knot and flew toward the doorway and the beckoning form of their absent leader. As she passed between the lintels, a sickly green glow pulsed out from them, snaring her like a bug on flypaper. Tuuri screamed in agony as the flux washed over her, over and over and over again.

This last was finally more than Lalli could stand. Snarling, he leapt in front of the others, thrusting his hands forward in a very specific way. Do this only as your last resort, Onni had once warned him, for you risk your all with this blow. Lalli didn’t care, though, not with Tuuri hanging there in torment. A blindingly bright stream of blue energy shot from his hands, winding this way and that through the interval until it finally hit the doorway.

Emil was the first back on his feet. “Lalli!” he yelped, moving to his friend’s prone form. Lalli was still breathing, but only just, and his eyes were rolled back in his head so that only the whites showed. After a second, Reynir went past where Emil cradled Lalli to where Tuuri lay groaning.

Neither was fit for anything more, meaning Emil and Reynir were the only ones who could go forth from here...

Spoiler:  Authorial Notes • show

Oh, look. Reynir is a competent mage in this part. Who’da thunk it?

And if you thought there was something familiar about the setting, perhaps this will stir a memory--

“This chamber has no windows and no doors, which leaves you with this chilling challenge: to find a way out! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Of course, there’s always my way...”

Róisín

« Reply #878 on: September 06, 2015, 08:03:42 PM »
Well done LooNEY! Thoroughly chilling! Don't leave it for too long until the next episode, please; this is becoming really intriguing. It looks as if somebody/something is trapping them in a web of tech and magic together. Why, I wonder?

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #879 on: September 07, 2015, 01:22:12 AM »
Yes, LooNEY, what Róisín said!
--And yes, I recognized your reference - been too long since I've been there, but I don't live in that end of the world any longer... ;)

Róisín

« Reply #880 on: September 07, 2015, 01:57:43 AM »
I don't know the reference at all. Where is it?

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #881 on: September 07, 2015, 06:10:59 AM »
I don't know the reference at all. Where is it?
Disneyland's The Haunted Mansion, before the ride proper begins. You get into a room that's a giant elevator (sans visible doors), go down, and walk down a corridor lined with switching pictures and busts that stare back at you. I thought, "Wow. This (mostly the elevator room) would seriously freak a low-tech group like our heroes." The "flytrap doorway" is my own innovation.

Róisín

« Reply #882 on: September 07, 2015, 07:27:35 AM »
Thanks! I had never even heard of the movie, sounds interesting!

microFerret

• Preferred pronouns: is, hic, ille, ipse, idem
« Reply #883 on: September 08, 2015, 12:26:22 AM »
Hey everyone, this is my first post in a while, and I probably won't be able to post again for a while, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought of my first fic!

Carrier, Chapter 1

Wil was very worried by now. This would be the difference between spending the rest of his life pushing pencils or gutting giants. He had thought he was certain to be immune, because both his parents were. That was a month ago. Incubation usually lasted a week or two. All his peers would be starting their new jobs by now. He kept telling himself to calm down, but there was definitely something wrong. All he could do, though, was wait.
Early in the morning, forty five days after the immunity test, there was a knock on the door. Wil opened it to find a man in an official-looking suit shifting his weight back and forth nervously.
"Wilhelm?"
"Yes, that's me"
"My name is Dr. Isaac Kopf, and I'm from the Bornholm Immunity Center. Your results are in," the man said. "Please, let's sit down." They sat. "Your results are back, and they weren't umm, well... at least you'll never get sick..." Wil let out a sigh of relief.
"So if I'm immune, what took the results so long?"
"You're not immune," blurted Dr. Kopf. "You're a Carrier. You can contract the disease, you can infect others, but you will never show symptoms. And with the Rash, this is not a temporary condition. If we sent you out into the Silent World, you would be infectious for... ever."
"So, I just stay here in Bornholm, and try not to get infected?"
Dr. Kopf wrung his hands. "It's not that simple. You're the only Carrier in Denmark, and only like the tenth, well, ever. That's what I'm here to say. You're more dangerous than any other human, troll or giant on the entire planet. And of course, one of the most valuable research opportunities as well. If you stay, you would live in my lab for the rest of your life." He sighed. "It'll be hell, but you will... might be benefiting society greatly. Or, you could flee to the Silent World."
"Why are you telling me this?" Wil asked.
"I don't know why, honestly. My conscience? If my supervisors had their way, you'd be stuck in a padded cage until who knows when. I look at you, and see a potential breakthrough. Potential. However, it would come at the cost of horrific human rights abuses, and based on Iceland's failures with similar experiments, I'm not even convinced that it would help. I came to warn you."
Wil spent half a second debating with himself. It seemed awful to thwart progress just to spare himself, but Dr. Kopf didn't even seem convinced it would do any good. Then, his self-preservation instinct kicked in. "I'm leaving."
An expression briefly crossed the doctor's face, but Wil couldn't tell if it was relief or incredulity. Dr. Kopf stood up and started towards the door, but turned around. "Head towards the little inlet east of here. I parked a motorboat there that you could take." He exhaled. "I hoped you wouldn't leave, but I would have done the same thing. Just... please. If you run into any people, stay away. You're like a stealth troll, if you want to think of it that way, but far more dangerous. I hope you're happy living in the Silent World. Oh, and I truly am sorry." With that, he left. Wil solemnly began packing for Copenhagen.

Róisín

« Reply #884 on: September 08, 2015, 02:35:16 AM »
First fic ever?! Very well made! And chilling. Wonder if, somewhere out in the Silent World, there is a small community of carriers....maybe even carriers who believe they are immune?