Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 780297 times)

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #810 on: August 19, 2015, 01:55:46 AM »
Here I go again. I promise, three at once is my limit, and the next bits of the other two are well under way.

That being said…

The Oldest Law
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent” fanfic
Part 1
Spoiler: show
An Unexpected Reunion

Year 95, Early Spring
Emil walked down the gangplank to the quay, his duffel slung over one shoulder. It was raining, of course, as no other weather would suit the almost comically gothic air of the island. He could just make out a glimmer in the distance, which should be the main house, already lit up against the storm’s dark.

The quay was long, rickety, and utterly devoid of other human figures, which was irksome, as carrying his kit all the way to the seemingly quite distant house did not appeal, though at least he wouldn’t need to climb the B stairs. When he reached the quay’s shoreward end, however, Emil found an odd conveyance awaiting him, bearing a card with his name on it. It was, in fact, an Old Time “shopping cart”, still in working order and spacious enough to hold his bag, though already partially filled with, presumably, the things his employer had promised to provide.

It took quite some time to reach the main house, as it was even more distant than Emil had feared (and the rain wasn’t helping any), but, at long last, he reached the entryway, an ornate and impressively carved affair. He went through the outer door, shut it, opened the inner door, and looked around.

The entry hall was as ornately carved as the entryway outside had been. There were several doors and a staircase, and it was a while before Emil realized that the door nearest him had the word “Coat-closet” inscribed upon it. He shrugged off his sodden outer garments and hung them by a number of others, in very familiar designs and sizes.

”EMIL!!!!!”

Emil barely had time to brace himself before Tuuri had flung herself at him in her puppy-like joy at seeing him again. Just as at their first meeting, she was chattering away a mile a minute. “...and you’ll love the big--ooooooh!” Tuuri stopped and clapped her hands over her mouth. “I forgot I’m not supposed to tell yet! Don’t mind my little slip there; just--be ready for a cool surprise!”

“I need to stow my things,” Emil half-apologized, drawing away from Tuuri. “You say the others are all here, in the common room?”

“Yep. It’s just through there.” She gestured at the ornately carved doorway. “You’ll find a room labelled with your name upstairs.” Tuuri quivered in her glee as he went to the stairs. “See you in the common room!”

Emil found his room easily enough, and was not displeased with the accommodations. Bed, desk, and wardrobe were all neat and tidy, and the adjoining washroom was clean as a whistle. All in all, his quarters quite suited his fastidious nature.

A strange scraping noise from outside caught Emil’s attention. The room had a narrow window with a heavy safety shield that would be proof against most grossling threats, though Emil fervently hoped its use was an unnecessary precaution. There was nothing out there but rain that he could see, but the noise had set his reflexes a-tingling.

On the desk was a note with his name on it in unfamiliar handwriting when Emil turned his head back. It certainly hadn’t been there earlier, and the sender/deliverer had left no clue as to their identity. Picking up the folded paper with a frown, Emil wondered why someone would go to such lengths to give him a note anonymously.

Once he unfolded and read it, he knew why.

They were chattering away in the common room when Emil entered, aside from Lalli, of course, who sat there looking like he wanted to slip outside rather than endure the Babel any longer. But everyone looked up at Emil’s entrance. He took the note from his pocket and looked at it again...

Spoiler:  Authorial Notes • show

Let the intriguing commence!

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #811 on: August 19, 2015, 02:06:32 AM »
O_____O

*whispers* I need moar
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #812 on: August 19, 2015, 02:53:51 AM »
Here I go again. I promise, three at once is my limit, and the next bits of the other two are well under way.

That being said…

The Oldest Law
Part 1
An Unexpected Reunion

Year 95, Early Spring
Emil walked down the gangplank to the quay, his duffel slung over one shoulder. It was raining, of course, as no other weather would suit the almost comically gothic air of the island. He could just make out a glimmer in the distance, which should be the main house, already lit up against the storm’s dark.

The quay was long, rickety, and utterly devoid of other human figures, which was irksome, as carrying his kit all the way to the seemingly quite distant house did not appeal, though at least he wouldn’t need to climb the B stairs. When he reached the quay’s shoreward end, however, Emil found an odd conveyance awaiting him, bearing a card with his name on it. It was, in fact, an Old Time “shopping cart”, still in working order and spacious enough to hold his bag, though already partially filled with, presumably, the things his employer had promised to provide.

It took quite some time to reach the main house, as it was even more distant than Emil had feared (and the rain wasn’t helping any), but, at long last, he reached the entryway, an ornate and impressively carved affair. He went through the outer door, shut it, opened the inner door, and looked around.

The entry hall was as ornately carved as the entryway outside had been. There were several doors and a staircase, and it was a while before Emil realized that the door nearest him had the word “Coat-closet” inscribed upon it. He shrugged off his sodden outer garments and hung them by a number of others, in very familiar designs and sizes.

”EMIL!!!!!”

Emil barely had time to brace himself before Tuuri had flung herself at him in her puppy-like joy at seeing him again. Just as at their first meeting, she was chattering away a mile a minute. “...and you’ll love the big--ooooooh!” Tuuri stopped and clapped her hands over her mouth. “I forgot I’m not supposed to tell yet! Don’t mind my little slip there; just--be ready for a cool surprise!”

“I need to stow my things,” Emil half-apologized, drawing away from Tuuri. “You say the others are all here, in the common room?”

“Yep. It’s just through there.” She gestured at the ornately carved doorway. “You’ll find a room labelled with your name upstairs.” Tuuri quivered in her glee as he went to the stairs. “See you in the common room!”

Emil found his room easily enough, and was not displeased with the accommodations. Bed, desk, and wardrobe were all neat and tidy, and the adjoining washroom was clean as a whistle. All in all, his quarters quite suited his fastidious nature.

A strange scraping noise from outside caught Emil’s attention. The room had a narrow window with a heavy safety shield that would be proof against most grossling threats, though Emil fervently hoped its use was an unnecessary precaution. There was nothing out there but rain that he could see, but the noise had set his reflexes a-tingling.

On the desk was a note with his name on it in unfamiliar handwriting when Emil turned his head back. It certainly hadn’t been there earlier, and the sender/deliverer had left no clue as to their identity. Picking up the folded paper with a frown, Emil wondered why someone would go to such lengths to give him a note anonymously.

They were chattering away in the common room when Emil entered, aside from Lalli, of course, who sat there looking like he wanted to slip outside rather than endure the Babel any longer. But everyone looked up at Emil’s entrance. He took the note from his pocket and looked at it again...

O______________O INTRIGUE
I LOVE IT
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 03:13:00 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #813 on: August 19, 2015, 04:01:03 PM »

That being said…

The Oldest Law
Part 1
An Unexpected Reunion

Year 95, Early Spring

”EMIL!!!!!”

YOU ARE EVIL

I need to read the rest of this.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Bouncey

« Reply #814 on: August 19, 2015, 06:09:29 PM »

YOU ARE EVIL

I need to read the rest of this.

You stole my comment!!! Though, IRL I call him evil almost every time we talk, so it's kind of redundant. Also, he starts most conversations with, "So, I was evil..." :D

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #815 on: August 20, 2015, 06:02:42 PM »
SectoBoss crawls in from the dry, parched landscape of Writer’s Block to deliver… this. Three little vignettes from Sigrun’s life, vaguely connected by the headcanon someone posted in the comments ages ago that she might have dyslexia. (Or some similar reading difficulty which is why she hates books so much.)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4618803/chapters/10528584

I don’t know where I was going with these, and gods know they’re a bit rambly, but I hope you like them nonetheless!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #816 on: August 20, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »
Did I told you before that you're talented, SectoBoss ? Yes ? All right, I'll repeat it :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #817 on: August 21, 2015, 12:30:00 AM »
SectoBoss crawls in from the dry, parched landscape of Writer’s Block to deliver… this. Three little vignettes from Sigrun’s life, vaguely connected by the headcanon someone posted in the comments ages ago that she might have dyslexia. (Or some similar reading difficulty which is why she hates books so much.)

I don’t know where I was going with these, and gods know they’re a bit rambly, but I hope you like them nonetheless!

So good. So. Good.
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #818 on: August 21, 2015, 01:52:09 AM »
SectoBoss: love it! Makes sense of Sigrun's attitudes - several of them. Thank you!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #819 on: August 21, 2015, 02:12:24 AM »

It took you long enough! /pot

That said…

BEHOLD
THE
MEGA
+++
Contingencies
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/“Terminator” crossover fanfic
Part 3
Prior part
The Real and the Illusory

Books.

Human interactions were still difficult for Skynet to decipher, but the bulk of the non-trivial conversations in the incursion vehicle centered around their mission, as Skynet had anticipated, which only left one conclusion.

The interlopers were after intact books that they could retrieve and return with.

Briefly, Skynet considered appeasement, in the form of leading them to a large enough store of intact books that they would by necessity curtail the incursion, but that would lead to more and more probes, and sooner rather than later.

Applying the Misdirection Principle: since the short-term objective was to keep them away from Naerum, then they should be lured along the line Glostrup-Taastrup-Roskilde via positive measures such as traces of lairing survivors and negative measures such as road blockages and other such means consistent with the Outbreak Panic. The long-term objective, their termination and use as an admonition against further such raids, was nearly certain even without Skynet’s intervention. Skynet would intervene anyway, naturally.

They were using a set of maps with potential locations marked on them, and the thinnest of their number went out nightly to update their projected route, but only as to road conditions and such. It would be too dangerous to try to adulterate the maps, so what could be done to induce the scout to lead them to Glostrup?

More data was needed, and an analysis of their retrieval methodology as well. Skynet needed to observe one of their raids.

Something was wrong with Lalli. Every so often, Emil saw him looking around with the same expression he’d worn in the library on their first raid, when he’d sensed the grossling watching them. It would only last a moment before Lalli shook his head and returned to the business at hand, but it just kept happening.

Lalli did it again, and this time, Emil caught sight of what had the young mage’s attention. The bird was back.

Emil paused for a second. The bird was back? They were klicks and klicks and klicks from where they’d been this morning, and had passed through a blizzard along the way! There was no way this could be the same bird!

Not to mention that they were in an old-time tunnel, where no surviving bird would dare go.

So, there was a bird following them in a wholly unnatural way, and Lalli kept reacting to like it was a grossling, though that wasn’t possible. So what was it, if not a grossling, but not an ordinary bird?

“Sigrun?” he called softly. She was just up ahead, and sibilants carry quite well, so she halted and looked back.

The humans were alerted to Skynet’s observation. Termination must commence immediately.

The bird opened its beak surprisingly wide, and out came the same screech that Emil had last heard from the troll he thought of as ‘the Tooth Scary’. The hairs on the back of Emil’s neck rose...

I can’t believe it took me so long to remember Brüel & Kjaer.

+
The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic
Part 7
Green Grow the Newbies Though

“I have a bad feeling about this,” Lalli said, apropos of nothing.

They were restocking in a small Dakota town on the way to the fly-shooing exercise Taru had garnered them. Lalli, Emil and Tuuri were catching a quick bite before relieving Sigrun and Mikkel from loading duty. Reynir was nearly done seeing to the horses. “So which part is giving you the willies?” Tuuri asked casually.

“The Arapaho.” Emil looked back and forth between the cousins during the exchange, trying to pick up what wasn’t being said, a skill being around Lalli demonstrated the need for.

“Then let’s get the others,” Tuuri declared, “and we’ll see what can be Seen.”

Reynir looked up at the others nervously as they gathered around him. “Oh, uh, hi guys.”

Sigrun silently poured a glass of whiskey and put it in front of him. “We need to know about the Arapaho.”

“Do I have to?” Reynir’s voice reflected his extreme discomfort with his new-found “talent”.

“Only if you wanna keep your scalp,” Tuuri pointed out, “never mind the rest of us.”

They’d discovered Reynir’s “talent” quite by accident when they were celebrating their triumph at the mines with what proved a truly epic bout of drinking. Lalli had (mostly) abstained, and his sharp eyes had caught when the first Vision slammed into Reynir like a runaway locomotive.

Reynir slowly drained the glass and waited, staring into empty space. When the Vision hit, he cried out, as always, “AH! NOW I SEE IT!”

“What do you see?” Sigrun asked intently.

“Indians... all the Indians in the world, maybe... they’re riding off towards a wagon train...” Sigrun poured another glass, and he drained it again. “There’s cavalry, too... and a bunch of women, and... and...” Another glass. “Quicksand... the whole wagon train... forty wagons swallowed whole...”

Reynir stood, grabbing the bottle from Sigrun as he stared at the Vision. “There’s a homestead in the quicksand, where the whiskey flows freely, and the Arapaho are coming down on it!” He took a swig straight from the bottle. “I see the men who live there fighting hard to protect their booze, but the redskins are just too much...”

The only sound after that was Reynir chugging down what was left of the bottle as the others pondered his Vision--until a man came up to them and asked for their help fighting off some Indians from his homestead in what he called “Quicksand Bottoms”.

“I have a bad feeling about this,” Lalli said, apropos of nothing.

“So which part is giving you the willies this time?” Tuuri asked casually. It had only been a few minutes since the man had gone off with Sigrun to talk turkey.

“The thought that Reynir hasn’t seen all of it yet.”

“We’re out of whiskey for now,” Tuuri pointed out.

Lalli frowned. “I just think we should be careful.”

“So do I,” Reynir agreed in a very slurred voice. He seemed to be fighting to get the words out. “Not sure it isn’t a trap.” His eyes rolled up after these words and he fell over. Mikkel, who had come up behind him, barely had time to catch him.

Tomorrow would be interesting, sure enough...

Let the John Sturges Triple Mash-Up begin!

+
The Oldest Law
Part 2
Penny, Penny, Mikkel’s Dime

Emil frowned grimly, still looking at the note he held. With a sudden angry convulsion, he crushed it and announced, “We’ve been had, my fellows.”

Every eye was upon him in the sudden silence following his words, so he continued, brandishing the note, “This note says Tuuri is keeping something from us, which, of course, she is; but it implies that she has a nefarious motive of her own for doing so, and that her secret may prove lethal to one or more of us.” Emil snorted. “I’d as soon believe that... I don’t know. Pigs flying in formation across the Atlantic to destroy the Icelandic herds of sheep wouldn’t be nearly so unbelievable as that. What this note truly tells me,” he paused significantly, “is that whoever wrote it wants to sow discord and distrust amongst us. This means that we were all brought here under false pretenses, as part of some kind of twisted game.”

Mikkel looked grave; Sigrun smirked skeptically; Tuuri simply gaped; and Reynir and Lalli looked clueless, as they still didn’t speak the Swedish which Emil had employed so eloquently. “Tuuri, please translate.”

As she did, Lalli’s face scrunched up in thought, and he pulled a note from his pocket and handed it to Tuuri. Her eyes widened as she read it, and then she said, “It’s in Finnish--” as though they couldn’t have guessed that “--and it says Mikkel has ‘his own plans’ for me and Reynir, like he’s some kind of mad Mengele type!” She repeated it in Icelandic for Reynir.

“What utter nonsense!” These were not Sigrun’s exact words, but they convey the sentiment she most forcefully expressed. This second note seemed to have cured her skepticism, at least momentarily.

Reynir looked stricken. “Does this mean there’s no Master Mage here to help instruct me?”

“No, my boy,” Mikkel answered, as Tuuri was still looking poleaxed. “Nor are there any Rash researchers desirous of discussing the case notes from the initial outbreak we found on our journeys.” He turned to Emil, switching to slow and simple Danish. “Why do you think they called us here?”

“To hunt,” Sigrun answered for Emil. “They want to pick us off one by one, with their little ‘love notes’ making us tear ourselves to pieces first. And why us? Well, we’re the heroes who braved the Silent World and lived, so obviously we’re the most best.”

“Exactly,” Mikkel concurred. “Made all the easier by telling each of us some ‘secret’ as part of why we’re here, which we shouldn’t tell anyone else. For example, I was to meet the researchers in their secret Rash Experiment Center on the island, which I expect is as gruesome as the works of Mengele Tuuri alluded to, and which all non-immunes should keep well away from. Thus, when I knew Tuuri and Reynir were here, I began to make plans to keep them well away from any such place, hopefully without exposing the cause. If Emil hadn’t taken his stance of trusting all of us--if the six of us weren’t ready to put our lives in each others’ hands--this kind of thing would have festered in our hearts like the Rash.”

“But what should we do?” Emil asked in frustration. “Should we try to fly away now, or should we await further developments?”

“A good question, Emil,” Mikkel rumbled. “Sigrun, what do you think?”

A million different emotions flew across Sigrun’s face as she thought her answer through...

So, no internecine intriguing, just externals.

But still intrigue & mystery.

…See, they all got done at once. Grrrrrrrrrrr.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:12:26 PM by LooNEY_DAC »

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #820 on: August 21, 2015, 04:10:13 AM »

Wow, this was... amazing to read! It makes so much sense too, I love how your stories always fit so seamlessly into the SSSS world (are you in cahoots with Minna somehow?). Brb going to re-read a few times...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #821 on: August 21, 2015, 04:21:47 AM »
LooNEY, I will forever be in awe of how fast you can write these amazing fics

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #822 on: August 21, 2015, 05:50:37 AM »
Heh, thanks guys! Glad you liked it.

(are you in cahoots with Minna somehow?)
I wish... but really, all I do is try and find the cracks in the canon and see what I can pull out of them. One day, probably all of my stories are going to get blown out of the water.

It took you long enough! /pot
It certainly did, didn't it? (by the way, forgive my internet illiteracy, but what does '/pot' mean?)
Oh and can I just say I really like the cold, analytical voice you give to Skynet in 'Contingencies'. It suits it! There's also something about it that reminded me of a fan theory about Skynet I read ages ago, which I thought was rather interesting - what if Skynet doesn't want to win?
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #823 on: August 21, 2015, 06:19:56 AM »
SectoBoss: glad to see you writing again! I love the way you fit your tales into the 'cracks' in the Minnaverse. I try to do the same. And your characters are always so much themselves. Good stuff!

LooNEY: these are really interesting! How you keep three stories on the boil at once is beyond me, I have enough trouble doing that with factual articles. The Terminator-based one is particularly chilling. If you can keep up the pace without damaging yourself, you certainly have a number of interested readers!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #824 on: August 23, 2015, 09:46:27 PM »
Further chapters of the others are forthcoming, but for now…

The Oldest Law
Part 3
Six Little Wanderers

The little Swede had the bad habit of being right when he should have been wrong; it tended to throw Sigrun off her game. Now, the others were all looking to her to work something out of this mess.

“First, no one is alone, ever.” Oh, good. Her brain had worked something out. She’d wait and listen to what it had to say, and only step in if it got too crazy. “They want us apart; we should stick together. Next, we need to tear this place apart--” she looked at Emil “--metaphorically for now, Fire-bug; we still need the walls up tonight--but everything else gets moved, examined, probed and tested so it won’t give us any surprises.”

Sigrun paused to assess their reactions. It had to be particularly long for the translating to get done, but once they were all up to speed, she could see the agreement on her crew’s faces, so she concluded, “We’ll start in here so we can make it our base camp. After we check everything, we’ll need to set it up so we can sack out in here. Oh, and reserve supplies: we’ll need to gather a cache in here.”

She looked around the room again. “This will be our redoubt until we get out of here; but we will get out of here, even if we have to build a boat ourselves. Well, let’s get to it.”

The room was large, running directly below the six bedrooms as it did, so checking and rechecking every nook and cranny took a considerable amount of time. Once they had completed this monumental task, however, Mikkel took Tuuri into the kitchen and the two returned in short order with enough dishes of various types to make for a small but genuine smorgasbord.

Exercise had, naturally, restored their appetites, and so all six set in with a will. As they ate, Sigrun laid out more plans and rules, culminating with, “When we’re done here, we’ll go up and strip the rooms of anything usable. We may even be able to cobble a makeshift raft together with, like, the bed-frames or something. We’ll see when we’ve got it all lumped in here.”

Sigrun and Tuuri were clearing out Tuuri’s room, Sigrun grabbing stuff from the wardrobe as Tuuri gathered everything from her desk, Tuuri chattering all the while, as was her wont.

“I’m really glad we’re all in this together, you know, Sigrun? I mean, I wouldn’t feel nearly as safe if you or Mikkel or Emil, or even Reynir weren’t here. It’s like, as long as we’re together, nothing can touch us, isn’t it, Sigrun? Sigrun?”

Tuuri turned to the wardrobe. It was totally empty. “S-s-s-sigrun?” she whispered. Then, as was their prearranged signal, she screamed.

In less than a heartbeat, Lalli was there, followed closely by Emil, Reynir, and Mikkel.

“Sigrun’s gone,” Tuuri nearly wept.

Mikkel looked grim. “Stand back,” he ordered, ripping one of the bedposts away as though it were balsa wood and brandishing it like a club. Without another word, he beat at the back of the wardrobe until it splintered to reveal the wall behind it. Then Mikkel tried the sides, without luck.

Down in the bowels of the island, a whisper sounded, unheard by any of those above.

“...And then there were five.”

What, you were expecting it to say, “Feets, don’t fail me now!”, maybe?

And yes, I kind of broadcast that Sigrun would vanish there, didn’t I?