Author Topic: The SSSS Scriptorium  (Read 787087 times)

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
Re: The SSSS Scriptorium
« Reply #780 on: August 05, 2015, 10:48:07 PM »
Keep the Western crossovers coming! I haven't seen/read the other, but I like.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #781 on: August 06, 2015, 12:11:59 AM »
Looney, this is fabulous! Now I'm sorry I didn't make my guess public - I thought it looked like Warwagon.
I'm sorry I didn't post any comment after Part 2 - I always assume others are going to!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #782 on: August 06, 2015, 12:42:58 AM »
I'm not familiar with the film (haven't really watched a vast number of movies, and few of them were westerns. Husband is the movie buff of the household.) So I'm obviously missing many references! But it's shaping into an interesting tale. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Fenris

« Reply #783 on: August 06, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »
It's amazing!  A whole Russian epic novel in the making!  I can hardly wait for Chapter 4.

How did you get the ideas for your various survivor groups and cultures?
Also, were you always interested in Russia?
Thanks. Chapter 4 will hopefully be up sometime this weekend.

A mixture of reading up on the areas themselves, somewhat based on some russians I know and a warped mind an active imagination.

I wouldn't say always, but have gotten my share of interest from some members of the family.

LooNEY_DAC

• DeviantArt
« Reply #784 on: August 08, 2015, 02:15:59 AM »
…And the next part cometh.

The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic
Part 4
Spoiler: show
Would Calling This Part Mine Kampf Invoke Godwin’s Law?

“This map is really detailed, Emil,” Sigrun praised the rather crude but indeed quite detailed drawing. “You drew this from memory?”

“Nah,” Emil said airily, “I sketched the place when Russet brought us there for the big scam.”

“What are those marks?” Tuuri asked.

“Shot placement for demolishing the place. Don’t worry; I’ll use the C Scheme on there.” Emil blushed as they all stared at him, Tuuri and Reynir actually gaping. “What? Don’t you guys plan out how to blow up everywhere you’ve been?”

“If it’s that old a map, though,” Sigrun mused, “then we should cut Lalli loose to make sure they haven’t made any improvements before we get there.” She turned to where the scout had been resting, only to find him gone.

“He slipped off to do just what you were about to ask of him about ten minutes after we got clear of the bridge,” Tuuri told her.

Reynir fidgeted as he sat next to Tuuri on the driver’s bench. Finally, Tuuri told him in exasperation, “Will you please just ask what you want to ask?”

“Um... Ahhhhhhh...” Reynir was still uncertain how to begin. “You seemed kind of-- I mean, what you said earlier-- I just wondered-- You look Indian, but you hate ‘em, and I want to know why.”

Tuuri blushed. “Oh, um, well, it’s just that... Lalli and I, our ancestors were a bunch of Cherokee who married white people, over and over again--I mean, neither of us color our hair to make it blond. Nor do we hide on some reservation, but make our own way, in our own good township. But we’ve had dealings with pure-bloods--” again, she made it an epithet “--before, and every time, they’ve shown themselves to be cowardly, lazy, lying, mean... To be blunt, I’ve seen white folk both good and bad, but nothing good about pure-bloods, and much evil.”

Reynir sat thoughtfully for a bit. Then, he said, “I hope someday you see the good in them, for I do believe it’s there.”

When Lalli returned, a scant half hour before they were to reach the gates, he and Tuuri updated Emil’s sketch, laying it out for Sigrun’s perusal; though not much updating was needed. Nor was there much alteration of the basic plan, though Emil teasingly asked if “the little Mastermind” had any suggestions.

There wasn’t much conversation after that, though the ten minutes or so until they reached the gate dragged on like an eternity. But, as each of them had something to do in the plan, they each had to ready themselves to get it done as best they could.

It was almost anti-climactic how everything went according to the plan. Oh, sure, Sigrun had to get a bit, ah, creative in doing her part, but it wasn’t as if they needed those guards alive or anything. And Lalli may have messed around with which tower he took out when, but it none of it kept Emil from blowing various things up, Mikkel from rescuing the slaves, Reynir from readying whatever transport was around for said slaves to vamoose in, or Tuuri from wielding the turret gun to great effect.

The only problem proved to be the absence of Russet, though that would solve itself soon enough...

Spoiler:  Authorial Notes • show

This part just didn’t want to be typed out, which is why it took so long.

And it should go without saying that the Russet of the story is in no way supposed to be our Russet, but I'm saying it anyway.

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #785 on: August 08, 2015, 04:59:32 AM »
I'm immensely uncomfortable (yet also very amused) at this future murder of a person who shares my name in LooNEY's wonderful new story. One more thing to add to my list of worries - being murdered! ;)
Anyway, hopefully the character doesn't take any inspiration from me, haha. Your story's shaping up to be really interesting!
Also I'm a big fan of your Russian fic, Fenris. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:46:39 PM by Russet »
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #786 on: August 08, 2015, 12:17:44 PM »
…And the next part cometh.

The Good, the Bad, and the Bestial
A “Stand Still. Stay Silent”/Western crossover fanfic
Part 4
Spoiler: show
Would Calling This Part Mine Kampf Invoke Godwin’s Law?

“This map is really detailed, Emil,” Sigrun praised the rather crude but indeed quite detailed drawing. “You drew this from memory?”

“Nah,” Emil said airily, “I sketched the place when Russet brought us there for the big scam.”

“What are those marks?” Tuuri asked.

“Shot placement for demolishing the place. Don’t worry; I’ll use the C Scheme on there.” Emil blushed as they all stared at him, Tuuri and Reynir actually gaping. “What? Don’t you guys plan out how to blow up everywhere you’ve been?”

“If it’s that old a map, though,” Sigrun mused, “then we should cut Lalli loose to make sure they haven’t made any improvements before we get there.” She turned to where the scout had been resting, only to find him gone.

“He slipped off to do just what you were about to ask of him about ten minutes after we got clear of the bridge,” Tuuri told her.

Reynir fidgeted as he sat next to Tuuri on the driver’s bench. Finally, Tuuri told him in exasperation, “Will you please just ask what you want to ask?”

“Um... Ahhhhhhh...” Reynir was still uncertain how to begin. “You seemed kind of-- I mean, what you said earlier-- I just wondered-- You look Indian, but you hate ‘em, and I want to know why.”

Tuuri blushed. “Oh, um, well, it’s just that... Lalli and I, our ancestors were a bunch of Cherokee who married white people, over and over again--I mean, neither of us color our hair to make it blond. Nor do we hide on some reservation, but make our own way, in our own good township. But we’ve had dealings with pure-bloods--” again, she made it an epithet “--before, and every time, they’ve shown themselves to be cowardly, lazy, lying, mean... To be blunt, I’ve seen white folk both good and bad, but nothing good about pure-bloods, and much evil.”

Reynir sat thoughtfully for a bit. Then, he said, “I hope someday you see the good in them, for I do believe it’s there.”

When Lalli returned, a scant half hour before they were to reach the gates, he and Tuuri updated Emil’s sketch, laying it out for Sigrun’s perusal; though not much updating was needed. Nor was there much alteration of the basic plan, though Emil teasingly asked if “the little Mastermind” had any suggestions.

There wasn’t much conversation after that, though the ten minutes or so until they reached the gate dragged on like an eternity. But, as each of them had something to do in the plan, they each had to ready themselves to get it done as best they could.

It was almost anti-climactic how everything went according to the plan. Oh, sure, Sigrun had to get a bit, ah, creative in doing her part, but it wasn’t as if they needed those guards alive or anything. And Lalli may have messed around with which tower he took out when, but it none of it kept Emil from blowing various things up, Mikkel from rescuing the slaves, Reynir from readying whatever transport was around for said slaves to vamoose in, or Tuuri from wielding the turret gun to great effect.

The only problem proved to be the absence of Russet, though that would solve itself soon enough...

Spoiler:  Authorial Notes • show

This part just didn’t want to be typed out, which is why it took so long.

And it should go without saying that the Russet of the story is in no way supposed to be our Russet, but I'm saying it anyway.

I went to school with a boy who was 1/4 Cherokee and looked like he stepped off the boat from Norway. Tall and almost white blonde. Of course the Cherokee could be aiding the tall for they are a tall people.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #787 on: August 09, 2015, 12:48:48 AM »
So, this might be a stupid idea, but does anyone want me to do a little tutorial on submitting stuff to Archive of Our Own? Like, how to use the tagging system and stuff? I use it pretty heavily (and volunteer for them) so I can offer some tips!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #788 on: August 09, 2015, 12:59:25 AM »
LooNEY_DAC, never stop :) This is epiiiiiic

SOLOVEI THANK YOU FOR THE NEW FICS ON AO3 THEY'RE FABULOUS :D
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #789 on: August 09, 2015, 01:23:07 AM »

SOLOVEI THANK YOU FOR THE NEW FICS ON AO3 THEY'RE FABULOUS :D
Thanks! :D I thought I'd put them up for the folks that don't follow me on tumblr.

Róisín

« Reply #790 on: August 09, 2015, 03:00:47 AM »
Solovei: A3O tutorial - yes please! I have put stuff up there but have MAJOR trouble with it. Sunflower explained it to me, but it doesn't answer me well. I think I need all the help I can get!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #791 on: August 09, 2015, 03:29:39 AM »
So, this might be a stupid idea, but does anyone want me to do a little tutorial on submitting stuff to Archive of Our Own? Like, how to use the tagging system and stuff? I use it pretty heavily (and volunteer for them) so I can offer some tips!

Certainly couldn't hurt!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #792 on: August 09, 2015, 05:05:16 AM »
@Solovei Oh, yes, a tutorial would help! I feel like I abuse the tagging system cruelly, haha.
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #793 on: August 09, 2015, 06:06:28 PM »
Solovei: A3O tutorial - yes please! I have put stuff up there but have MAJOR trouble with it. Sunflower explained it to me, but it doesn't answer me well. I think I need all the help I can get!

Certainly couldn't hurt!

@Solovei Oh, yes, a tutorial would help! I feel like I abuse the tagging system cruelly, haha.

Awesome! I've written most of it now but I was curious how you want me to post it? In one big long forum post? An external website? A google doc? What would be easiest for you guys? There will probably be links and embedded images and... quite a lot of text.

Róisín

« Reply #794 on: August 09, 2015, 08:33:30 PM »
Forum would be easiest for me. I'm not even sure what most of the other options are! This stuff is something I'm acquiring with vast difficulty and painful slowness.